Fedora Discussion Thread

Have you ever used Fedora? What do you think of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg
fedoramagazine.org/saving-laptop-power-with-powertop/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Using it right now.
>Pretty good

Fuck Fedora. Fuck RHEL.

It makes a great Server/Workstation distro, but it could be more subtle in being a beta test for enterprise software, like openSUSE.

I dislike that its package manager automatically chooses weird mirrors for downloading packages and the speeds are horribly slow. Ubuntu/Debian is smart enough to choose download locations during installation, why can't Fedora do the same? I know that I can change mirrors manually but it's a fucking chore.

Used it as primary OS since 15 (2011ish).

Stable, works great.

Red Hat greatly contribute to different communities so I have no issues with them really.

>inb4 Red Hat pls leave

They're all the same shit, bro. Just saying.

Fedora is run by libtards. Libtards that think tablets are gonna replace computers.

I used it, seemed cool until I realized it deleted all of my data while getting installed. Turns out its not as easy as it looks to have a dual boot with fedora and windows.

Using it right now. pretty damn happy.

Yup. Linux would be in a much better place if the efforts were concentrated on a few projects. its honestly retarded upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

Is good. Package manager is slow like molasses, though.

Its great, its been my daily driver for over 2 years now.

It just works and I'm okay with it.

It has a really good installer and it's pretty much as bleeding edge as gentoo.
I'm a lazy fuck so I use the server install and just rice that.
It's faster to compile i3-gaps and retroarch than installing gentoo or even arch. That's how much real life has cucked me out of my time

And then they fucked Gnome which was a solid DE so far, also, Potering

using it currently ended distro hopping for me

How's the battery usage on a laptop out of the box?

fedoramagazine.org/saving-laptop-power-with-powertop/

Does anyone else have issues when using gnome + wayland with a large delay/freeze when right clicking in GTK programs? Most noticeable in nautilus. It only happens to me on fedora. I use arch on another computer and it's fine. It's happened across two of my laptops now.

used it for about a year, it was pretty good, it's just GNOME that bothers me

>go through installer
>pretty comfy and easy, very well done
>installed
>GNOME launches
>immediately get a "GNOME has crashed" error
Other than that it was a very good distro and had excellent hardware compatibility. I don't use it as main but if I had to pick a next main distro I'd probably go with fedora. Although I'd try the Xfce spin first.

You have no idea what you're talking about. There are literally 5-6 relevant distro "bases". Everything else is either a special use distro, or the same distro just with a different DE which for some reason counts as an entirely new OS to a lot of people. Linux fragmentation is a meme. It's non-existent.

But it's still work that could go towards improving the main distros

In a lot of cases it isn't useful, and in almost all cases the changes are made public. Which means the work does indirectly go towards improving the main distro. If the main distro could take advantage of something a fork has it can just integrate it. This is the beauty of open source software.

I'm using it now. I have no complaints. It's a solid OS and I see why Linus uses it.

I've been using it for a little over a year now, and I've been using it as my primary OS since February.

Are you literally retarded? Why don't you manually select your disks?

Why would you ever use Gnome? I'm actually wondering, what kind of human being uses Gnome? Their devs are subhumans.

>why would you use GNOME
I don't use it. It's Fedora's main DE and I was only testing out fedora (yes, by installing it on real hardware).

Why not choose a different DE? It's still the same thing underneath.

It's not bad.

I don't know why but Fedora is the only distro that runs GNOME well (at least on my PC). When I install GNOME on brokenSUSE I get 15fps animations. The same was with Ubuntu GNOME.

DNF is slower than APT but it's harder to break your system with it if you don't know what you are doing.
I do encounter some broken packages in official Fedora repos. It's not as bad compared to oS Tumbleweed but still sad because everything has always just werked on Ubuntu.

Also, it's too "free" out of the box because of amuricas laws, so you must manually install codecs/fonts, etc.

Overall, I'm not really excited to use this distro but I get the best performance with it. Even if Sup Forums says that performance only depends on kernel version.

Pretty good. DD it on a old netbook (32bit support still ftw!), main desktop, and an RPi3.

Only complaint really is sometimes SELinux can be a pain, but on the other hand sometimes SELinux can stop 0-days so I'm willing to take that compromise.

So if you don't want to learn how SELinux works why don't you just edit the /etc/selinux/config file like so.

> SELINUX=permissive

That basically sets to SELinux to logging mode only and won't take any action.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

pretty comfy OP, you should try it.

It's great m8. Am using it right now.

Pic related, is mine

It does.
What user SHOULD do is get the SELinux troubleshooting and policy writing tools. You can get these in the setroubleshoot-server and policycoreutils-python packages.

Running it right now. Nice to have virtualization and SELinux all set up out of the box. Only complaint is their patent autism.

I've also run into that bug, but I only recall it happening in nautilus. It'll probably be fixed Soon(TM), and there's always Xorg if it bothers you that much.

I use Fedora for my work laptop and at home. I love how everything is really up to date yet it all just werks. Except GNOME, it needs a fair few tweaks to be usable (mostly dash to dock).

They're quite lenient though, e.g. they're working on getting an easy way to install proprietary drivers and I think you can easily install nonfree codecs now. I think they have a good balance between freetardism and realism.

Yes it would, but if you're not willing to learn how to use it what's the point?

~~strike~~

used it for a while, didn't like it, too bleeding-edge. went back to Debian.

Don't be a fucking tard when it comes to installing shit. It isn't that difficult when you can read. You can read, right? Well read the stuff on the installer next time fuckwad

Fedora is great but Gnome sucks major dick. I hope they will finally make that utter bullshit usable without the need for 5-10 extensions.

It's been working good so far but lately the 4.13 kernel really slow down my computer.