European visitors from the 1860s to yesterday never failed to notice the American habit. In 1883...

> European visitors from the 1860s to yesterday never failed to notice the American habit. In 1883, a Londoner reported that in hotel dining rooms, “Immediately the guest is seated, the attendant at the table brings a napkin, a bill of fare, and a glass of iced water.” Another crossly noted, “You cannot escape from this glass of water from the day you set foot on American soil to the day you leave it…”

Why are Europeans triggered by water?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zQCHyOEba3E
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcXCWBhpMZI
youtube.com/watch?v=x-XEHwUBubk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It was illegal for Eurothirtises to drink any liquid without first asking the Monarch for permission

>be Eurothirsty
>die of dehydration because it is pleasing to the king

Pretty simple, because American waiters rely so much on tips it pays in their favour to develop good will on behalf of the customer. Giving water is a cheap way to endear the waiting staff to the customer and therefore increase the level of tips they receive.

>US government puts mind-control drugs in water that makes people want to buy more things and eat more
>citizens drinking it willingly every day
There's a reason why europe was more developed in this time period amerifats. Enjoy being slaves to your leaders, cunts.

In all seriousness, they may have chafed at the idea of drinking water because it was unsafe in those days unless boiled.

I would not drink water that catches fire either.

youtube.com/watch?v=zQCHyOEba3E

>force the cheapest drink ever known to man on the customer
>then the waiter throws a temper tantrum if the customer doesn't give tips for it
>as customer you just have to play along or else you get shot

what a scam

Maybe it was the ice that they couldn't fathom. You know how Europoors love their lukewarm beverages.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZcXCWBhpMZI

Actually it's because our country is full of teetotallers who wanted to discourage people from boozing by making water freely available

My city has a bunch of public fountains installed by a mayor for that puprose

they should make this a normal thing in Europe as well can't have my throat all parched son

>Actually it's because our country is full of teetotallers
This is a man who's never been to Wisconsin.

or full of mercury. you can boil out the heavy metals
its kinda initimidating how the waiters are always in your face in the states. it feels like they are hovering above you, you cant even have a decent conversation with your companion.

Once when visiting London, Benjamin Franklin left his guests shocked by his insistence on drinking water instead of alcohol. They wondered if he wasn't suicidal (drinking water from the Thames was a good way to die).

>those people who live on nothing but soft drinks
>"Ewwwww, how can you drink water? Gross."

I'm not the guy who's going to be in a motor scooter with an amputated leg at 45.

It's not the "water" part it's the "american" part.
We're afraid of american water.

After all there needs to be a reason why you're all so dumb and violent.
Your government still fluoridizes water, something that Polish government banned long time ago.

>After all there needs to be a reason why you're all so dumb and violent.
>This is coming from a Slav

>Polish government

>Enters a bar
>waiter bring me water

there is reason to be upset

not an argument

This. You guys are gay

Poles are Wends

Fuck just let the man sit in peace and shove that tip begging water up ur ass bitchboi

...and you thought skiing was fun?
You haven't really lived, my friend.

>Poles
>Slavs

Jesus fuck, is that what drinking that shit does to your speech?

He's clearly a foreigner, real North Dakotans sound like this

youtube.com/watch?v=x-XEHwUBubk

>France
>calling anyone gay

This can't be the case though, at least for the origin of the practice. The cultural mutation/meme of tipping waiters was a development of the prohibition era. OP's quote is from 40~ years earlier