Does anybody here work in silicon valley?

Does anybody here work in silicon valley?

What is it like?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cjtXO_mN7Fc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Silicon Valley is full of chads I worked as an uber driver there before I got a real job.
You wouldn't believe how many people there are fit and good looking. I felt humiliated

Everything is overpriced, everybody is DISRUPTING PIVOTING EXCITING NETWORKING FUNDRAISING WORKING FOR STOCK OPTIONS CHANGING THE WORLD.

So get fit?

I live in Central California's mini SV. It's also a university town, so there's nothing but fit 20 year olds running in yoga shorts and jog-bras. That was intimidating enough to work out until I wasn't embarrassed to run shirtless.

Foreign Chad's too apparently Euros move there too for the money. Why would you say you felt humiliated?

>borland
>Sun
That pic is old

poz capital of the world

There are no black people. As someone from a city, it was weird and off-putting.

>t. never been to SF

This map is missing tons of shit

>chads

I've been
Place is full of fuckin' hobos
And unlike normal cities
where beggars spread out
They run in packs in SV
Don't give one anything
or you get mobbed by 12 more

I lived there when I was a young 'break the curve' go-getter. Oh so long ago.

Took a job back in Mountain View a few years ago... going back as a 50-ish way-past-dad-bod.... yeah. That was harsh.

>So get fit?

HA HA HA

Until about four years ago I was a /fit/ nut. There's a problem with that--- as you get older it becomes a full time job just not to lose ground.

Ethnically, I'm Hungarian. Every man in my family is a 5'6" human keg. I staved it off for a while, waaay longer than anyone else. But around age 45, I was just pissed off and angry from being hungry all the time, and literally working out 4 hours every day. *Every* day was Leg Day.

Fuck it.

In four years I gained about 50lbs. I don't fucking care. I'm not old yet, but I'm too old for *that* shit.

I always wondered about the wisdom of placing so many of the important tech companies in one location like this, ESPECIALLY right over the san andreas fault.

I wonder economic impact on the US and worldwide should a very large quake hit the area. beyond the plummeting real estate prices that is.

even though it's easy to relocate (remote servers probably have everything backed up, just get an office building somewhere else on the continent) if the top programmers and engineers die, they'll be pretty hard to replace. (remember what happened when IBM lost 6 from the team that designed the IBM PC in a plane crash in 1985)

SF is not SV

>I live in Central California's mini SV. It's also a university town

You better not mean fucking Stockton.

nothing's built up in SV. Earthquake would cause less damage than the usual business cycles.

I was there for Oculus Connect 4 and damn everyone was really cool. I had more and better conversations than I could ever have in Toronto in the space of two days. San Jose is full of comparatively dumb Mexicans though so that was meh.

Also I got into a fight with some guys from Facebook at a sushi place after we left the conference over why Oculus dropped support for MacOS and Linux over lack of sufficiently powerful GPUs which have since been made available via external GPUs and Oculus's decision since to not add support again (spoiler alert they have a backroom deal with Microsoft).

The entire argument they made was literally how having a MacOS machine means you have privilege and building a new gaming PC from scratch with Windows was a better option for poor people. You can't make this shit up lol. Only in San Fransisco would this happen.

>Why would you say you felt humiliated?
Because wherever I went 90% of the people were taller fitter and better looking than me. And most likely wealthier too

yes, it's expensive and everyone gets paid a lot, I don't know how fast food workers live though

the reality distortion field is immense, it's hard to drive straight around Cupertino

this is definitely the case, being bad about personal hygiene like myself is actually rather rare

>Every man in my family is a 5'6" human keg.
lmao, well just embrace yourself, but try to keep some active hobbies so the beetus doesn't rot away your lower legs like i saw today

fuck, i have never seen a living human body rotting before

>sufficiently powerful GPUs
that's just doublespeak for "we don't have anyone from central europe on our team who can write drivers for linux"

also fuck facebook

It's old as fuck, like 20+

No one keeps servers in SV. Real estate and power are way too expensive. I work for a major SAAS company and we moved everything out of SF and into Arizona.

Though I am happy with my salary and where I work, I am not happy that I won't ever do anything as impactful as what the people over there do.
I also don't have the balls to apply for a job in one of those companies because I have a massive fear of rejection.

>impactful
>implying these people aren't the biggest memesters in the industry

The days of programmers actually looking like you'd think they would are over.

The days of chad compsci faggots running the show are here.

we still have those in eastern europe

Yeah, they're memesters, but there's no denying that these faggots make shit that ends up being used by every normalfag under the sun.

>1 nuke to SV
>american economy is finished
>korea, china and japan takes over technology for good

Dude, I don't think it works as you say it does.
Around here, sure there are some fat old guys but most are normal looking persons. Definitely not overweight. I also doubt most do exercise.

By what you said about your family, there might be some genetic predisposition. Check a doctor.

None of you have read the post. He's talking about the huge number of programmers lost. Programmers familiarized with their respective systems into each company.

Just imagine what would happen if Microsoft lost 90% of the Windows and Office development plus their whole HQ. Now multiply that for most of the SV companies.

and that's why eastern/central europe is taking the game over in the embedded device market

who's going to do a better job: someone who clocks in at 9 and clocks out at 5, or someone who's entire life is computers, and they're getting paid massively for their unique services

It's funny how american cities are so geometric and blocky. Efficient, I guess.

There is no wisdom, only the private marked.
In one end, it encourages growth since you got a local area with highly skilled workers, who can snipe people who leave other companies, to create startups, and then move away.

On the other end? I agree its not a wise thing to do, in the long term.
One act of war, one earthquake, one natural disaster.

Dem dwarf genes youtu.be/cjtXO_mN7Fc

They were usually planned, like good software, not meshed the fuck together over centuries of warfare and plague and tomfoolery like something SLAPPED together with zero premeditation of needing roads big enough to accommodate something called cars someday. Non-American cities are clusterfucks.

Well you can't really blame us for being older.
200 years from now your cities will also look like retarded clusterfucks in comparison.

Not the guy you're replying to, but it's not about being older, it's terrible planning and a heavy dose of NIMBYism.
East and SE Asia also have some ancient cities but they planned ahead to accommodate a population boom. Being old is no excuse for Europe as a lot of places were left in ruins after WW2 and the opportunity to rebuild cities with proper infrastructure was missed.

Nigger my 90 year old gramps still runs, climbs ladders and keeps a healthy diet. You are not too old for that.

Estonia will be the new Japan