/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tabVaoeNtdk
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/duckduckgo-ssl/
addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/240221/duckduckgo_https_ssl-20140120.xml?src=dp-btn-primary”
mycroftproject.com/
gist.github.com/XVilka/8346728
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

GNU/Linux?

GNU + Linux

A combination of the GNU userspace and the Linux kernel, Snake.

It's not tiresome. You're just a brainlet.

I'm CIA Nigger.

Linux!

Linux is *not* my kernel.

UNIX

Userspace?!

Is this the new WSL thread?

EMACS

Repeating?
Everything I say, huh?
Metal Gear Solid, huh. Retarded? Yes?

Metal...Gear...?!

How do I stop Ubuntu from interfering on my search like in pic related? IDGAF about their monetization policies, and this is creepy as fuck.

inb4 I already edited the files in /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/ , but the "t=canonical" string keeps appearing on my searches.

You knew?

The operating system is fucking called Metal/Gear

You're that ninja

reinstall search engine

LISP

Is Lunduke /our guy/?

Yeah
youtube.com/watch?v=tabVaoeNtdk

It didn't work. Here's what I did:

* Go to Preferences > Search, delete DDG
* Go to addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/duckduckgo-ssl/
* Click on +Add to Firefox

Error message: Firefox could not install the search plugin from “addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/240221/duckduckgo_https_ssl-20140120.xml?src=dp-btn-primary” because an engine with the same name already exists.

More like /our goy/.

Question: why do you need this addon if Firefox can already add DDG as your default search engine?

See

Aren't search engine "installed" in your browser just bookmarklets?
mycroftproject.com/

Uninstall Ubuntu

What are some cool terminal commands?

sudo apt-get install gentoo

This alias
alias psg='ps aux | grep -v grep | grep -i -e VSZ -e'
Then try psg someprogramthatisrunning

Pretty cool text adventure hidden in the glorious emacs.
emacs --batch --load dunnet

ohshitgit.com

Why not ps -C ?

...well, I won't switch distros just for that, but this shit bugs me.

Because this does not spitout the single process, try it

Guy from the last thread complaining about the colorscheme in urxvt and vim not matching. I finally got it to work with rxvt-unicode-256color (I assumed rxvt-unicode was already 256color but that was wrong), along with the suggested bash script. The .xresources they provide doesn't work though, so I guess I'm going to go and do that manually and see if I can fix it, maybe submit a pull request there

Also, out of curiosity, what colorschemes and fonts (both for GUI and terminal) do you guys like?

# yum install vsftpd
Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'updates'
# sudo dnf clean all
53 files removed
# sudo dnf upgrade
AMD amdgpu Pro local repository 3.7 MB/s | 35 kB 00:00
Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'updates'

whats happening?

>yum

dnf does the same thing, you know yum install redirects to dnf install right?

Better than apt.

--color or --colour?

US spelling is the standard in computing industries.

no, its english

t. ricer who has never done any actualy programming

source?

every fucking library

an update oin this. i can still install shit through dnf-dragora...

Why can a raspberry run off a microSD just fine but if I want to run any distro (besides puppy) everyone including the documentation of Arch loses their head over how fast it'll kill the sd?

>my ass

write on a pi is generally minimal and theyre not really critical devices in most cases

but they also have a DE and what not, so wheres the real difference of me running my system of an sd in a laptop? people also use raspberrypi as servers which does have some amount of write for sure?

I just installed and "setup" vsftpd but now how do i login from different devices? i disabled anonymous login first off, so now how do i setup a login / connect? is there perhaps a better way to run a file server?

yeah some write, but barely any usually. theyre never used in write intensive machines.

You can allow local user accounts and all that, read the docs.

Servers also don't necessarily.have a lot of writes to microSD. You can attach conventional hdd, you know?

what did he mean by this

Should I be discouraged at having difficulty even installing Mint onto an HDD?
pic related is the settings I used when trying to install it manually into my old Windows partition (which is now the new partitions you see). Rebooting & even selecting the HDD to boot from has only led to a blinking text cursor. What am I doing wrong?

Lunduke is Jewish

What's the point of using the GUI Vim? You use it with a keyboard, so what's the point of having those buttons to click?

Install Gentoo.

I just installed to check out what the fuck was wrong with my config in terminal, since GUI Vim is completely independent from terminal settings

Some actually use it to avoid termcolors and such 'cause they don't do truecolors yet.

Relevant to you:
gist.github.com/XVilka/8346728

How do I change the program that handles "File > Save As..." on Linux?

The default one that opens on Mint and so on appears to be a slimmed down Nemo or something, even though I removed Nemo.

I'm trying to help a friend and I am fairly proficient in setting up Linux how you want it, but how would you go about changing this on a pre-packaged distro like Mint...?

*GNU/Linux

RMS is a pedophile necrophile commie

Okay.

Why can't you just help me I thought this is the friendly help thread

Install Gentoo.

change what? into what?

Check the sources for the program to see if it's insane and is handling the dialog itself, if so: modify, recompile, reinstall.
If the dialog is delegated to a GUI library like a sane program would do: get the sources for the library, modify the library, recompile the library, reinstall the library. Recompile and reinstall the program if necessary.

tl;dr don't even try.

Change the mini file manager that it gives you when saving a file to Thunar's one. I changed to Thunar and it won't do it.

So it's built into the program? Then why does every program have the same file-manager thing for saving?

Please install Gentoo.

Arch is better

>So it's built into the program? Then why does every program have the same file-manager thing for saving?
No, they're using the one built into GTK/Qt unless they're retarded; and that's why all of them are the same.

Please stop lying to yourself.

>there is nothing you can do
Or just stop using stuff like Google.

Oh shit you can install gnu/linux on androids now? cool, time to slap kali on my phone and crack some weps when i'm bored on bus stops

Are mobile data encrypted? Like if someone uses their mobile data to access a non ssl webpage, is that shit encrypted somehow? Would be great since i could grab some fesbuk passwords from qts at the busstop

So are there any alternatives to GTK/Qt?

>Implying not using Google's services means you're invisible

Don't delude yourself

Motif, ncurses, Gentoo

[unsubscribe]

hey newbie here needing help
i have a slow laptop where i wanted to try out Void Linux. The installation went smooth (except htat i had to use lan because the wlan wasnt working from there) but i cant get xorg to work for some reason. I installed xorg-minimal, xinit and the video driver xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-intel (the laptop has an amd card and a built in intel hd).
Whener i run startx, it starts and then everything freezes. I just see a static cursor on the top left and no shortcuts work either.
Any help would be appreciated

What's it to you? You won't write new programs to use it anyway. Not that those toolkits have better file-dialogs. It's not even about the toolkit. You can have GTK or Qt programs with icon views as well, you just need to create it.
It will eventually come to GTK3, once someone creates a solution that actually works and is efficient (doesn't choke when you have more than 100 files in a directory).

I do code and I'm interested in how it works. Good to see the elitist atmosphere here hasn't changed since 2010...

>gets told how it is
>eeeeelitists!

You are indeed quite retarded. If you actually "coded" (consider aborting yourself for using that as verb), you'd know where to look and how to start. But you don't, you just lie on the internet and pretend.

What an elitist post. This is a friendly thread, okay? FRIENDLY.

Same as on Windows. You hack that software.

What are some Cool Terminal Commands?

Is that a euphemism for installing Gentoo?

I've never coded applications with UIs outside of web development. There's nothing wrong with saying "I code", you autistic fuck.

Rude. Friendly thread.

Sometimes when i watch youtube on ubuntu the screen freezes but the sound goes on and mouse and buttons still work, is there some way to fix this without having to restart the whole lightdm, which closes all my windows?

Sorry, didn't know you were a code artisan.

>gets told how it is
You dumb fag. You just spouted a bunch of defensive opinions.
>It will eventually come to GTK3
Wow, so optimistic. And not relevant to anons predicament at all. Leave your ego at the door next time.

Why would I bother specifying what I code and in what languages to some random on the internet when it isn't even relevant?

For installing gentoo with patches that you wrote maybe. Or for binary patching gentoo after you installed it.

st

Maybe if its the GPU overheating or you got newer GPU drivers.

No the problem is when chrome reaches 100% cpu when playing video fullscreen, it freezes, but since it's not possible to cap chrome at like 95% cpu i want to bind a hotkey to a command which restarts unity without closing my windows