Honestly.... 11GB

Anything over 16(?) is over kill and flat lines

Someone prove me wrong/explain

8gb but it's got a really edgy piece of plastic on it

>6gb masterrace
lmao you fucking loser

32GB on my workstation, 4GB on my travel laptops, 3GB on my phone
thinking of expanding one of my thinkpads to 8GB

8. MFW current era phones have as much RAM as my desktop.

16GB

16 gb :v)

opening 80 firefox tabs and counting never feels so good, ramlets will never know this feel

64gb workstation , 16gb laptop and 6gb phone

16 GB laptop which is my main driver and 2GB phone

6gb is the sweet spot user

16, need to upgrade soon, but RAM prices shot up and I don't have any free slots, what a pain

8. Won't need any more for at least 5 years.

6 is enough for regular use. Even gaming.

16GB DDR 3 ECC

8Gb

4GB DDR2 come at me bros

Holy fuck, user. You are overdue for an upgrade if your desktop only has 2GB of RAM.

Too bad 6gb isn't a common configuration

>DDR2
Just how old is your computer

3 GB on my phone
8 GB on my laptop
16 GB on my gaming PC
Next phone will have a lot more, I use it so much. Others are not hitting the limit.

Phones have up to 8gb of ram nowadays and that's the point he was making

4gigs in my thinkpad and 16 in my desktop pc

4gigs is enogh imho 2bh

bios says 2009

>6Gb is enough for gaming
Wish I saved the screenshot of Battlefield using 9Gb of memory, and Fallout 4 using 8Gb of memory

Unused RAM is wasted RAM. Use as much as there is available

Cities:Skyline using 12 on mine

32GB in my games computer, but I'll move this set over to my workstation later, and buy an identical 16GB kit (so that can be moved over to my workstation again at a later date). Remember kids, always ignore the "8GB is enough" folks when RAM prices are cheap. Hoard as much as you think you'll realistically need for the next few years, since RAM prices tend to double over night (happened a few times during the past few years now). Buy twice as much as people say you need.

Virtualisation, parallel compiles (compile firefox and other huge projects, and see your computer use well over 8GB RAM), probably other professional work too. For video games, 16GB is probably enough, tho some games like Conan Exiles are pushing it.

24GB but only 16GB is installed in my computer. I don't know why I bought so much but it was back when DDR3 was cheap.

Pubg crashed cause i ran out of ram, and i had 16 gb
was really annoyed

2 on tablet, 3 on phone, 8 on laptop and home server, 16 on both working and htpc/gaming machines.

You're right if the only thing you're doing on your PC is gaming.
In that case, the amount of RAM you have will allow you to have an internet browser with a shitload of tabs running in the background while you're playing something. More RAM = more tabs and apps running simultaneously.

However, if you're developer/designer you're likely to use programs and setups that can utilize a virtually unlimited amount of RAM.

Personal example - I run PHP backend with apache2 and MySQL servers on a CentOS in a Virtual Box VM while also running Android Studio and Android emulator to work with the client-side. I have 8Gb RAM and it clearly isn't enough.
Not only do I have a habit of having 20+ tabs open in Chrome - when working on the issues it quickly starts to inflate towards 30-40 tabs territory - some of which can be quite heavy (browser client-side, for instance).
Next, I don't actually have enough memory remaining to comfortably run the Android emulator Android Studio provides so I'm using much lighter 3rd-party alternatives which have an incomparably lower degree of possible customization.
Even minor code changes require build time of 2-4 minutes, while also unloading all the Chrome tabs aside the current one from the memory.

16Gb RAM would've allowed me to do the shit I want to do exactly the way I want to do it - without having to close my tabs or browser while allowing me to run the recommended emulator for testing while getting several times higher gradle build speed.
32Gb RAM would've probably allowed me to run a bunch of emulators simultaneously allowing parallel comparison of the different API versions.

where did you buy the 3gb+3gb rams lmao

He has 12 sticks 512Mb each.

My older computer has 3Gb DDR2, it's so damn slow but I still use anyway.

Lucky me, mine has 3.

32+8

LGA1366 machines had triple channel memory (2*3).

Mine does too, but Debian with LXDE is pretty speedy for general stuff. I can do video and audio editing without any issues

64GB DDR4 on my laptop.

This i have 12 GB, its enough for literally anything.
Firefox +4 other programs open max usage is 4gb ,2 games running at the same time and it still doesnt use up all 12 GB.
16 GB is overkill unless you are a computer illiterate and havent debloated your OS.
Fuck even CEMU loads ~8GB of shaders and i am still ok.
Compiling? 12GB is the sweetspot, unless you are rendering 100GB videos.I dont see the point buying more than 16 gb of RAM.

64 GB

8 niggabytes on desktop, mostly for tmpfs
12 niggabytes on craptop, also mostly for tmpfs and never needing swap at all

9/16 gbs used

4gb
should i kill myself?

4G here too. Don't need more because i do all resource-intensive tasks via ssh.

6GB is retarded because it means you have some stupid configuration like 2+4 or 2+2+2, so you'll have to throw all your existing sticks out when you'll inevitably have to upgrade. 1×8 GB is the real sweet spot, because it's most likely enough, and if it isn't, you can just get another 8 GB stick.

I don't get why you don't buy the ram. This is a clear case of justified buy.

12gigs

2 GB on phone (Samsung S5)
8 GB on my school laptop (ThinkPad X220)
16 GB on my main laptop (Dell 7559)

72GB (18x4GB ECC RDIMM, DDR3)
Come at me, Sup Forums

I've had 16gb of ram for the last 6 years, in my laptop and now desktop. 16 seems to be the sweet spot for time to come but definitely speeds is where it matters. 3000mhz is the minimum currently you should get.

why?

4GB
life Is suffering

Because I'm working on a small laptop currently. 4+4, one stick is soldered, so I won't be able to have more than 8Gb in dual-channel anyway.
Also, I'm somewhat short on money atm.

Idk, don't play shit

32GB,which is sadly the maximum my MOBO allows, I thought it would be enough but no.

8gb on my thinkpad, 64gb on my server
16gb on my gaming machine

>6gb masterrace here
only 12gb here :(

6gb laptop too.
tfw some programs/games require 8gb minimum.

do you guys also hate this retarded trend where software devs dont give a flying fuck about performance and basically expect everyone to be running the latest $10K gaming beast?

Its fucking retarded, i remember running the encarta encoclypedia just fine on my w95 pentium II when their specs required much more

16gb in an x220

4 GB.
3 GB would be perfect but mobo can't handle three channels so 4 is close second.

i have 8gb ddr2
how much am I missing out?

16GB; and I've had the same 16GB kit since 2012.

16 GB

Is 8gb enough for new Macs considering SSD speed? Macos introduced aggressive caching since Mavericks and modern NVMe SSDs are now somewhat on the same performance level as first generation DDR.

My Hackintosh with 8gb slows down a little bit after couple days of use without restart. Swap used goes up 1Gb, although memory pressure is almost always green in Activity Monitor, and OS becomes not as snap and fluid as fresh from the start.

I don't need much RAM per se (wired memory rarely goes up 3gb) and I'm wondering if 8Gb will be enough if I buy a modern Mac.

>I don't know what I'm talking about so I'll volunteer some nonsense and challenge people to prove me wrong.

8GB RAM DDR3-12800 2x4 Dual Channel

>8. Won't need any more for at least 5 years.
Same here. Even my gaming machine doesnt need more

> Windows 10 Home

kek

>Even
Gaming machines don't require much RAM.

Mein aryan, 1366 I assume?

16gb whould be enough for me, but dual channel on x58 gives me the ticks badly.

8GB in laptop and about 6GB in cupboard

I also like sucking dick

8GB but it's getting hectic, I think I'd be comfortable with at least 32GB of RAM.

How can you even browse the Internet comfortably without at least 8 gigs?

8 but works at 2133 mhz, quite enough for me since i only use visual studio and play some vidya

By not using a RAM-guzzling piece of shit memory-leak of an OS like Windows

I use Linux with RAM.

How much ram? 6gb?

Yes.

For me, it's 64 GB

Fucking 1337 man!

16gb but only half fitted cause I am lazy

8GB

You too. That's 1337. But your e-peen isn't a big as you hope if you never use more than 6 gb.

32gb for a workstation, plenty of vms etc, but it's nice to have a little breathing room for ramdisks

Using 12 right now and not even doing much other than Sup Forums and a vidya

Penus. Very penus.

>8gb god race here

16gb godrace here

I was on 4GB for a long time, but my friend's letting me borrow his old DDR3 sticks so now I'm at 8GB until I get enough cash to build a new rig.

8 GB at home
Good enough, i can run 100 browser tabs, watch youtube on one screen, playing a game on another, alt-tabbing to a VM for some coding during cutscenes

8 GB at work
Company security tools slow shit down to a crawl, taskmanager shows 60-80% usage on everything even when running just two browsers and outlook. If you want to fire up a VM or compile shit you bettere close everythign else first or it will crash without warning.
Requested upgrade to 16 to make it slightly more bearable

on my x220, I've got 8GB. I rarely use more than 4 GB though.

Try getting a job.

Shadow of war ate nearly 12gb of ram with all the bells and whistles. The higher res textures and so on.
16Gb has been the sweet spot for years and will continue to be. I don't see why you should have any less when good RAM is cheap as dirt.

I had 8 GB (2 x 4) but my company started using ITX boards with SO-DIMMs so I was able to take a 16 GB stick home for free so I put it into my ThinkPad. Now I have 4 GB + 16 GB

16gb

16 desktop, 8 laptop