Is there any benefit in manually installing Arch Linux instead of using a scripted or graphical installer?

Is there any benefit in manually installing Arch Linux instead of using a scripted or graphical installer?
What is the best installer out there?

I have two computers to set up and I am feeling lazy. Installing Arch is easy, but it takes some time.

You'll know exactly what you get and how you set it up, so any quirks (obv. common in Arch) can be resolved fairly quickly. As a matter of fact, there's nothing special about Arch at all though. Install Gentoo.

This is a game that hipsters play and you've already fallen for it by installing arch any way, period.

What's going on here is they are retreating to a new ever more psuedo-increasing-secret-club by saying "you could totally get away with installing it using a script" and then when you do, "you didn't install it the right way, scrub".

If you "go the hipster distance" and install it the "right" way, tomorrow it will be something else. Next it will be that you aren't using an obscure autism based tiling wm. Next it will be that you didn't write the config yourself and you copied one. Next it will be that you didn't write it in a hard-on-purpose text ed. Next it will be that you didn't use some obscure 80s dropout lang to make the config.

You cannot win with arch or any other loser dropout distro because this is not technology, it's a fashion accessory and the game they're playing is to think they're keep themselves in style.

I just like the AUR repository.

pacman and AUR are special and nice to have.

I will, at some point.

Arch is shit, install Trisquel

it depends on whether you're a turbo autist that wants to install every single package and configure every single little thing by yourself. arch-anywhere (anarchy) is a good option otherwise and comes with some nice defaults.

AUR is decent, but pacman seems to be literally the same as zypp or apt. Am I missing something here?

What's so great about the AUR?

It's just an easy way to install software from source and install it with pacman.

yes there is
lets take this real world example
>install debian with mini.iso
>(*)at end where you are asked if you want additional software select none (ie to boot into tty)
>next grub
>ooooooh but surprice
>debian wants to put grub MBR on the usb stick the installer is NOT the hdd because for some reason /dev/sda is usb mini.iso and /dev/sdb is the actual hdd you installed up till this point
if you select LXDE at (*) then installer makes MBR and reboot is ok

THAT'S why you do stuff yourself because it takes LESS TIME AND EFFORT and is FASTER instead of unexpected surprises because fuck you

alias s='pacman -Ss'
cower -s pussy

From what I saw the packages on AUR are prone to not be updated regularly and in some cases just don't work. Also, some have other AUR packages as makedependencies which makes them pretty inconvenient to build in a chroot.
Or it's just my luck with the selection of packages I was interested in.

Yes, it happens. You're at the mercy of the maintainer. It's still nice to have, regardless. Most of the AUR stuff I use has good maintainers that update frequently.

>Or it's just my luck with the selection of packages I was interested in.
yes although it true /those are user submited/ , in general it is not and even if it is it is fairly easy to ''update'' the pkgbuild and install
all information is clearly laid out and easy to find

>Is there any benefit in manually installing Arch Linux instead of using a scripted or graphical installer?
It makes you feel like a hacker.

>Is there any benefit in manually installing Arch Linux instead of using a scripted or graphical installer?
pretty much just that you know what's been done if you do it yourself
if you know what you're doing it only takes a couple minutes to install arch the normal way
if you know what the installer does, and you're using it purely to save that bit of effort, then go ahead, why not. but if you're using it because you're overwhelmed by the normal method, arch might not be for you

If an AUR package is truly abandoned you can always just take it over yourself. PKGBUILDs are extremely simple and easy to maintain. Most of the time it's just changing the version number and the git commit.

Graphical installers always fail (your mileage may vary).

You can install Arch variants with installers using Antergos or Manjaro.

Use Antergos if you want to use the Arch User Repository from the get-go. If you're more cautious about rolling releases, use Manjaro (because they use a repository that's a couple of weeks behind Arch).

Install Gentoo instead. Way better than arch.

>das it mane

why? you mememan

You get nearly unlimited customization thanks to use flags, also Gentoo is super stable and all about choosing the software you want.

And systemd-free. Happy user of my new Gnoo/Ganoo with OpenRC.