Why isn't a mac simply called a "pc"? I mean, it is a pc, is it not? It's the same thing

Why isn't a mac simply called a "pc"? I mean, it is a pc, is it not? It's the same thing.

Marketing.

The term "personal computer" was coined by IBM and so Apple needed a new word to call their junk.

Ok, then it makes sense. I learn so much from you. You guys are much smarter than Steve Jobs whose intellect is extremely overrated, did he even invent anything himself or did he just pay people to?

>meaning of PC then
Any personal computer

>meaning of PC now
A computer used as a gaming console

>You guys are much smarter than Steve Jobs
Aww, aren't you sweet :)

this. The new apple CEO said something between the lines of
>"our clients not only want to buy our products because of their quality, or because of the apple. They geniunely believe they are better people"
The marketing techniques Apple aplied are the reason why they are so successful. It doesn't have to do with the quality at all.

Because macs aren't used for computing. Are they even personal?

huh?

"then" the IBM PC was a specific range of machines by IBM, then soon after you had "IBM PC Compatibles", which are clones of that range of computers
nowadays a "PC" is just shorthand for any IBM or clone PC, and ever since both PC's and macs now use the same basic architecture and even both use EFI as their firmware, they're basically the same thing
one major defining factor of a PC is the BIOS, since current macs have an EFI firmware with BIOS emulation support, and all other hardware is PC-compatible, it's a PC clone/compatible, just like any other non-IBM PC
a "mac" now is simply a PC with a few unique bits added on to it (which aren't critical, as evidenced by the possibility of running macos on non-apple PC's)

>You guys are much smarter than Steve Jobs whose intellect is extremely overrated
>You guys are smart
>Sup Forums
>smart
lmao

PC is accepted to refer to any IBM compatible because IBM called one of their machines PC. It just made it easier to distinguish them from Apple, Commodore, Sinclair etc. computers.

Mac users feel disrespected when people call macs pc

No. It's a mac. PCs are for poor people.

Let me guess, a phenomenon that started in berkeley where everything is insulting

Mac is a PC. People who use the word "Mac" either got brainwashed or are paid to make people aware of Macs. Same with iPhones.
Tldr it's just a brainwashing marketing scheme.

Although in past Macs used Apple hardware and the "split" made sense. Now Apple just assembles parts from Intel, AMD and nvidia.

they were unique machines back when they were 68k and PPC-based, but ever since they switched to intel and EFI with CSM (bios emulation), they're completely PC compatible

Apple didn't make the distinction between PCs (IBM compatibles) and home computers.

>Any personal computer
No, PC meant an IBM compatible, which is why Macs weren't called PCs.

the only difference between an apple pc and a non-apple pc is that apple machines have the SMC chip, which basically an alternate ACPI with DRM, it's the thing that stops people installing macos normally on non-apple pc's
it can be emulated

I'm sure some other user in this thread pointed this out, but I think it might be because they ran on completely different architectures at one point.
Windows PCs ran on x86
Macs ran on powerpc.
However, now it doesn't make much sense to have a distinction, as now everything just runs on x86.
Even then, a different architecture doesn't change the fact that they are both Personal Computers. Actually, I'd kinda like to see a lot of the shitty mindsets that come with such labels go away. Normies may not think it, but their smartphones are not just magical glass """devices""". They personal computers, and have no reason to be as locked down and botneted at they are now.

>I'm an autismo who needs to take things literally 100% of the time and pretends to not understand connotation

The distinction predates PowerPC, actually.

Because Macs are designed for people who know nothing about computers and it creates a clear distinction between a regular computer and this Mac computer, so people won't assume normal programs work in it. They can't just install PC programs, they need to install Mac programs. Linux users don't need this spoonfeeding.

M68k ftw.

ITT: no one knows what the fuck a Macintosh is

>>meaning of PC then
IBM-PC or clone

>>meaning of PC now
Wintel

>scan carcinogen vapor

You should watch the movie pirates of silicon valley, it tells the story of the origins of apple and microsoft. Basically Jobs marketed Wozs inventions.