Your honest opinion on this piece of software

your honest opinion on this piece of software.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i-uMHMnwERk
musictheory.net/lessons
4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Sticky
msp.ucsd.edu/techniques.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i took a shit job for the holidays.

The older versions were a toy but the newer ones are good

It's okay if you just want to piss about and have some music come out of it thanks to the sequencer, but if you try to make it more than a hobby then you'll really struggle to make anything that doesn't sound formulaic.

FL isn't music by any means

okay as an absolute beginners introduction to DAWs, but as soon as you know how you should move to a better one like ableton or reason

>he thinks song quality depends on the DAW
lmao

good 16 bar loop machine

Favorite artist uses it, no clue why people think it's only good for trap music.

Friendly reminder that if you are not using pro tools you don't know the fuck you are doing.

I settled on ableton because it's responsive and has a clean appearance. It also has really pleasant shortcuts.

It's only good for making trap and EDM rubbish

Electronic shit for musical pajeets.

Pro tools is for old men producing shit music they think young people like

didn't try since 12years ago, it was meh back then. Everyone I know say it's shit but DJ Stingray uses it so it's probably not that bad

He didn't say that
Like it or not that "all daws do 90% the same thing" only goes so far
FL has nothing set up for live mixing, and it's stock shit has nothing on reasons stock vsts
Obviously you take the best UI + the best capability and use both daws together with ReWire, I use Renoise for sample editing and Ableton for everything else, nothing compares to Renoise audio file editing but it's fucking autistic UI so I only use it for what I need from it

who are you quoting?

protools is shit if you want to compose from scratch using virtual instruments

it's good but I don't find its workflow unsatisfactory. bitwig and ableton are better

>buying a proprietary hardware-based ecosystem that's equipped for literally no in-the-box music at all
Did your daddy tell you to use protools lmao

I find its workflow unsatisfactory*

Seems good to me.

assuming that op has never used a DAW in his life, it's fine
If you ever need something more in depth you'll be able to go look for it, learning the absolute basics of DAW work is important and easy with a straightforward daw like that
Ableton is also an alternative, arguably just as user-friendly

absolutely mediocre
ableton and cubase are the best
bitwig has potential but might take a while

a lot of people only use it because it's "industry standard" otherwise a lot of people would gladly use anything else
good enough for recording though

It's okay. I prefer renoise however.

I've used FL iterations from 10-12 on and off. I've also used ProTools and Garageband in the past. I like how FL manages placement and organization of notes/effects, but you need to find good VSTs, as most of the default VSTs are not only bad, but terrible. I wish the UI was slightly cleaner too, because it feels a bit overwhelming at times.

GB has some decent preset instruments, and has a fairly clean UI, but it was rather underwhelming. Only usable in macs. There's not much to say about it.

ProTools is easy to use in my experience. The default instruments are not that bad, and the UI is easy to read and simple. That said, a perpetual license is very expensive (just checked the site, and it says $600), and if I recall correctly, all ProTools DAWS have physical hardware DRM (usb flash drives) that you need to keep connected to your PC at all times during use. I'm not sure if it's usable on Windows either, since my experience using it was on the mac OS.

I'm an amateur musician, and it's frustrating to have to deal with poor instruments/VSTs and weak software. I'm not sure if I will stick with FL, but I feel like there's not many reasonable, suitable alternatives. I don't have experience with Reason, Ableton, or Cubase, but I already have a midi keyboard/synth. I feel like it's always very difficult to accuate the music in my head because none of the VSTs I have sound clean enough. I don't need master-class 1,001GB audio packs, but I wish I could work with software and packs that give me a clean method of replicating my music without spending thousands of dollars.

>Ableton or Reason
How about Reaper, Logic or Pro Tools? Oh, that's right, those DAWs are used to produce something other than Bandcamp lo-fi hip hop and trap songs.

I have only used FL studio, but what do you need that the latest version of FL studio can't do?

youtube.com/watch?v=i-uMHMnwERk

this still sounds better than radio crap.

>this still sounds better than radio crap.
:)

some of the FL studio demo songs are pretty good though.

Looks like shit.
But i've never used it so i can say nothing about workflow.
Reason 5 and Renoise works for me.

Honestly, I think a lot of my problems are a result of lacking better piano-playing skills and having cruddy VSTs. That said, I have a solid grasp of basic music/piano theory, and am practicing to improve my playing.

I've had a hard time finding decent instruments, and I've tried a lot of things. The large majority of the time, the only thing I'll have at my disposal is Nexus, and that's not even going to give me most of the sounds I desire. Nothing sounds clear/clean enough. Now my VST folders are just full of random shit I'm not going to use. I don't really need much--just a good piano, bass, some strings, and maybe a woodwind or two. I've tried open-source software, pirated FL, and picked up tons of instruments to use, and I still am not able to translate my music properly. I'm not sure where to go from here, except to delete all of my FL/VST folders and start over.

1. learn audio synthesis (download synthorial)
2. learn music production

cheers bro, if you know your music theory you're halfway there.

also, where do you learn more intermediate music theory? (tired of reading the same old basics shit, scales, chords and those 5 minutes music thoery tutorials).

bloatware
All you need is to read this: msp.ucsd.edu/techniques.htm
and learn SuperCollider.

I haven't heard of syntorial. Is that how you learned how to adjust your sounds in your DAWs?

>where do you learn more intermediate music theory?

I'm likely around the same area of experience you are, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Assuming you have passed through all maj/minor, aug/dim, and inverted scales, then you've got most of the important stuff down.

If you're seriously looking for resources:
musictheory.net/lessons

Or the other links listed in the Sup Forums wiki under: Music Theory Resources (at the bottom): 4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Sticky

Otherwise, the best course of action would be analysis of content you like. Maybe you like a chord progression used in a song, or like the scale changes. Too many people get wrapped in theory and forget to involve themselves in actual, practical applications of music.

>tfw user didn't tell me about any dope free VSTs/etc. or DAWs though.

>also, where do you learn more intermediate music theory?
These contain some of the things I think every musician should know:
Schoenberg's harmony and fundamentals of musical composition (very basic introduction to forms in classical music), The Jazz Theory Book by Levine and this: msp.ucsd.edu/techniques.htm
After that you should look into more specialized topics, like musical analysis or post-tonal theory.

What about Cubase?

>He thinks photo quality depends on the editor
You can make any effect pixel by pixel in paint.
Hell, you can just use a hex editor.
Hell, you can just open up a terminal and type characters then save as an image.

It literally does not matter. All the same. All feasible.

>he thinks Ms Paint and FL studio are the same
kek retard.

What should I use to make music for my own games?

FL Studio has always been /comfy/ even back when it was Fruity Loops. Fruity Tracks was always garbage.

>cubase
lol that's as bad as cakewalk

>fast workflow
>smooth piano roll
>automation clips
>you can move anything anywhere in the playlist
>patcher
>completly customizable layout
Fl is far superior to any other DAW on the market. don't let 12yro "EDM" and "trap" producers distract you from this beast

Not any less capable than any other daw, but the standard samples and reputation has been ruined by blacks

It does the job quite nicely for amateur music, but isn't great out of the box for anything but electronic music.
On that topic, can anyone recommend me some good free string/orchestral type VSTs? The ones built in leave quite a lot to be desired.

i agree. fl is simple as fuck, but isn't missing anything. ableton and cubase are too indulgent.

it's not free software

all of you faggets saying Ableton/Cubase is best are faggots.
It's literally the same shit
The Good thing about FL is that it has the very best UI out there. you literally can't do better.
Everything you do on other programs you can do it in FL. You're working on sound after all.
It's just like saying CodeBlocks is better than Notepad.
Fuck you.

The external VST are the cherry on the top, but hey i guess every motherfucker has their own way of work.

FUck you pieces of shit! The only real way to do music is analog.

They’re not all the same, you can compare the quality of the engines of FL and Ableton by timestretching audio files, Ableton pitches everything down smooth as fuck while FL turns everything into a choppy clusterfuck.
Doesn’t matter too much if you don’t need it tho so for the most part you’re right. Know what you want and then decide which tool you need.

>trap songs.

It's great for electronic music production IF you agree with the interface decisions, but don't expect to track elaborate live playing.