/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1151-Audible-Jitter-amirm-vs-Ethan-Winer
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/uptone-iso-regen-review-and-measurements.1829/page-2#post-46217
antlionaudio.com/
en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories--adapter--jack-plug--gold
innerfidelity.com/images/WalMartThreeDollarBuds.pdf
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support
youtube.com/watch?v=tCZ-AJQOiDg
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what is the second best headphone behind the ma900?

Friendly reminder that headphones are for faggots and virgins, real men use speakers.

Schiit modi2 is garbage and BTFO by $70 chink shit, see

You say Schiit Modi 2, but that's obviously a Schiit Modi 2U pictured. Are u taking me on a ruse cruise?

muh
what are the best headphones for playing new love plus+?

utopia

we've already known this for months, it only started getting reposted here after someone posted on reddit, no one cares. schiit marketing is too stronk

>utopia
perfect. thank you. i can't wait to have rinko whispering in my ear.

>-90 dB
whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1151-Audible-Jitter-amirm-vs-Ethan-Winer
>and only 70 dB below the music, and it's still inaudible
tl;dr: It's fucking nothing.

dacs are all about dickwaving since practically everything including onboard is transparent these days
so you might as well get something that has a bigger dick for the money, who cares if it's well beyond perfection

I want to buy the HD800S. Is it good for my ears.
Yes or no

how about you try it

stop being a faggot and buy one

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

i wonder how the sdac will compare to it

I wish I had a bigger desk. What's your setup like anons

Is the modi 2 uber...shit... too?
Also thanks to the anons from last thread helping with the 600s/interface question.

Does anyone have a PS4 slim and modi 2u? I trying to hook my modi to the PS4 via USB and it's not working. Has anyone got it to work? It works fine with fulla 2 but the modi 2

I need some wireless headphones. Yes, I know that I'll probably be sacrificing a lot of audio quality for this, but I have my reasons.
Bluetooth or docked RF wireless are both fine, trying to keep it around or under $100. I remember seeing some sennheisers that were docked but they were like $180

Kumiko a cute. A cute!

Do you guys think these will be any good?

of course not

I ordered the HiFiMAN HE4XX on Massdrop, but I need a better amp to power them. I have a Fiio e10k currently, but plan to buy a Schiit Magni 3, and just continue using the Fiio with its DAC pass-through. (I'd eventually like to get a Modi 2U, if not the Modi MB, if they ever go on sale, or I can find a solid bargain on eBay/leddit/etc)

Does this sound reasonable? Any better value options in this price range?

Also, can I ask about mics and interfaces and shit in here? I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade my Snowball to an AKG D5 and Tascam US2x2. Would I need a pre-amp? Or, maybe a gain booster thingy, like a Cloudlifter or Cathedral Durham?

>I ordered the HiFiMAN HE4XX on Massdrop

>Does this sound reasonable?
yes

The thing is - NwAvGuy tends to severely overestimate playback level desired. Music, even classical, usually does not have that much dynamic range (waveform peak:short-time average level). Far less even. The end result is that peak level would usually be closer to the range of 100-105dB, and a lot of people buy into headphone amplifiers they don't need at all.

But, there is a margin of tolerance built into his scale.
There is no 1:1 ratio between the perceived loudness and dynamics of a track to the RMS and waveform peak level. Very low frequency signals factor much less than midrange and upper frequency signals into subjective loudness, but factor into the superposition of the waveform the same.

You could buy into an amplifier you have no use for, or not have enough sound level from weak electronics. NwAvGuy chose to go with the former.

Why not just use the interface as the DAC?

I want Q701s but better

I was wondering about that after seeing this pic
Idunno. I've not researched that option at all. Hadn't even considered it, even though I know some/most interfaces include a headphone out, but figured they didn't have the best DAC/amp.

>Q701
I just hate the fucking bright green cable and threads. Why did they do this? Why did I buy it? ;_;

anyone here ever have a listen to mr speakers aeon?

I like how they look, also they're not really meant to be taken outside.

op where do you get these pics?

Looks like they're just ripped off a booru.

I remember Amir from the AES and AVS. He tried really hard to learn about audio, and has had a lot of free time to do it, but sometimes he would just not "get it".
Winer is not the most technically inclined, even though he loves he loves playing myth debunking. It doesn't make him wrong, but his arguments are not necessarily in depth.

The cheap interface generally fares better in that metric. It's only one test, but still shows that interfaces are not bad.
If anything, inexpensive interfaces often have issues with the headphone output. The output Z can be a little high, which may require you to re-equalize the headphone when plugged in the jack. Output levels can be a bit low as well, but we already had that discussion. But Magni ought to deal with any headamp related issues.

Can someone recommend me a good pair of headphones I can use for my PS4 for less than $50? Can't use my ATs because they don't have a mic.

>ma900
measures like dogshit

post your headphones

SR-009.

I didn't ask which, I said post your headphones

SR-009.

pictures of it with timestamp

>Budget
85$
>Location
USA
>Source
Phone+Cmoy amp if needed/PC.
>Type of headphone
Over ear.
>Open or closed
Closed. No noise leak prefered.
>Comfort level
Fair but not amazing as long as it sounds good.
>Sound signature
Do not know maybe flat or U.
>Past headphones
Crap/first decent.
Please help, not headphone oriented.
Is Chink shit worth?

m40x get aftermarket pads for increased comfort

>buying shit tier stax

Hmm. So maybe I should just nab the Tascam for now and use that as the DAC, eh? But then how would I pass the audio to the Magni? Are the "balanced" outputs on the Tascam just RCA ports that I can connect to the line-in on the Magni? Err, no. They look like 1/4" lines.

HD 800 and SDR mod.
You don't hook it up via USB, you do it through optical on a console.!

>HD 800 and SDR mod.
SDR is worse than senn's resonator and he may as well EQ

bahahaahha, kinda glad i am poor at the moment paying off my own house. Law of diminishing returns is a bitch, fuck that level of gear slutting, looks like some kind of hell

>best gear in the world
>cant decide on what to use
>it isnt absolutely perfect

just get a mic for your at's

Modi 2 measurements: Episode 2.
>audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/uptone-iso-regen-review-and-measurements.1829/page-2#post-46217
I've noticed some Schiit DACs have shown a low tolerance for USB issues well before Amir put their gear under his analyzer. Even if the device is out of spec, it doesn't seem to be the only one. The measurements serve as a reminder of USB interference, and provides a use for that Schiit Wyrd thing.
Worth noticing that the other USB powered DACs are fine.

Uber gets its power from wall wart. Shouldn't be subject to the same issues, or at least not as bad.

Balanced TRS outputs.
You can use a 2xTS to RCA cable adapter.

Wait, I can do that?

antlionaudio.com/

Welcome to the future.

Thanks!

yw user

>antlionaudio.com/
gamer headphones on suicide watch (finally)

if i actually owned cans and gamed (which i dont) it of seemed like the logical conclusion for some time...

It'd be a budget option, but I wouldn't buy from Schiit

If I dont like the feel of the stock HD600 cables is there any cheap alternative that doesn't feel as shitty?

Should I just bite the bullet on some custom paracord or MDPC or some shit?

I would if I could. Sadly the slim version has no optical put.

HD650 cable. Looks and feels a lot nicer, and more durable. ~$25. No point in paying more than that for just a cable

And here's a great price for the HD650's 6.3mm to 3.5 adapter if you need one
en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories--adapter--jack-plug--gold

Where else am I going to get a Magni 3? Not that I browse eBay often, but I don't think I've seen any Magni 3's.

(Or if you have a better suggestion? Admittedly, I do really like the aesthetics of Schiit products, compared to O2/ODAC, and anything else I've seen)

just get the magni 3 and be happy with it, ignoring the schizo shitposter who has a hateboner for schiit products and can't go one thread without shittalking them.

Why don't you own the flattest headphones on the market? Pic related

those aren't headphones, they're distortion blasters

This thread is close enough so I'll ask here.
Can anyone recommend a good external sound card for under $100 AUD. (hopefully close to 50)
I'm getting interference using the jack on my motherboard, and sadly cannot use an internal one because no room.

something about shitposters posting about distortion. why haven't manufacturers realized that this is the ultimate cup shape for headphones? both the hd600 and srh1840 measure exceptionally well, senn use it for their orpheus line but decided to make some garbage flagship with a retarded shape instead.

But /hpg/ told me distortion isn't audible

/hpg/ is full of brainlets and earlets
I can hear 1% THD at 20hz

Is there a decent, not-too-freakishly expensive replacement for my MEMT X5's? Please don't recommend me chinkshit.

>I can hear 1% THD at 20hz
must suck not being able to use any dynamics or planars

I'm not Schizo user. But from what I've seen he just has paranoid delusions about everyone here being ComfyGrados. Not something to do with Schiit

I just don't like the way Schiit treats their customers, nor their scheming.

yeah but when you get as woke as I do, you realize more THD is better

Exactly why I eq $10 Walmart earbuds

This is the ultimate in fidelity.
innerfidelity.com/images/WalMartThreeDollarBuds.pdf

how do they treat their customers? and please don't bring up dramas from like 5 years ago.

Other way around, right behind

Fug

I already posted this last thread, but here are some recent examples regarding just Schiit's customer support

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support

>and please don't bring up dramas from like 5 years ago.

That isn't what I was referring to, but why would something like that not be relevant? I assume this might be what you meant by that: youtube.com/watch?v=tCZ-AJQOiDg

>but why would something like that not be relevant?
because it was fixed and has never happened since? clearly they didn't take into account that targetting the mainstream consumers would result in retards who don't know how to properly ues the equopment end up using the equipment.

Like I said, that isn't what I was referring to. You brought it up, not me. Still, the face remains; it isn't just something to ignore.

it's not something to ignore but it's history and not relevant to any current product, thus not worthy of criticism since it has been criticized to death but nwavguy fanboys.

I just thought it was funny that you told me not to bring it up.

>Schiit
Sounds like shit.

Schiit? More like Shit!

I bought these for $80 and I think they sound good. Did I fuck up?

You tell me

Sennheiser? More like those engineers should be fired!

Focal? More like into the disposal!

literally every fucking day.

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/

Audeze? More like you're never going to get a chance with the ladies!

Monoprice? More like it grips you like a vice but it's made out of rice!

>I found that picking up the Fulla 2 and rocking it side to side recreates the static and extreme sudden loudness

wew lad, so much for Schiit's frankly shit QC

HiFiMan? More like quality control? Better tell me the odds, man!

What hentai is she from?

>I can hear 1% THD at 20hz
No you can't.

Shobitch. It's basically the second coming of Seitokai Yakuindomo.