/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask your stupid questions here. Use a search engine such as the following that respects your freedom first before asking us

duckduckgo.com/
startpage.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

osxdaily.com/2017/10/06/ios-11-slow-speed-up-performance/
github.com/gorhill/uBlock
windowscentral.com/how-install-bash-shell-command-line-windows-10
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The AM4 chipset driver installer shows I have 17.40.10.1 installed, but recommends 17.7.2

Should I actually trust this even though everything seems to be older?

Is not developing GUIs for personal projects stupid?

no

What is Sup Forums's favorite wordlist to use? Surely there's gotta be something miles better than rockyou.txt

My tech-illiterate grandma barely goes out anymore,
I wanted to buy her an iPad for her birthday. Newer ones are too pricy, which models would still run well?

>I've got cortana transcribing your mom's nightly pillow talk into a wordlist.

What's the cheapest option for a streambox for my parent's lounge? I figure all they'd need is something that can run a Netflix app, and would play videos off a HDD. Am I better off stripping parts from old laptops I have sitting around to try to get a shitty HTPC working, or buy a dedicated thing?

What do you think she'd be doing on it? Just browsing or playing games? Cause my 3rd gen iPad still runs well for what I do on it, but obviously I don't try to play any games on it.

I want to play games but a desktop is totally out of the question, who makes the best gaymen laptop and are there any that have gpu/cpu replaced?

everytime I run fluxion and get a handshake from it, it tells me the handshake is corrupted. What the fuck am I doing wrong here?

she wants to run PPSSPP and Serato mostly

I've been hearing loud static out of my headphone while doing stuff such as file transfers. Not knowing much about audio equipment but from what i understand Amplifiers and DAC's fixes this interferes?
Can anyone point me to the right direction fixing this

I fucking knew it, I hate GUI programming.
Fuck.

Does anyone know what this device emitting violet light is ?
It appeared to be pitch black when I saw it in person, bit I just found this pic of it in a selfie I had and apparently it is turned on.

what does it do ? It is in a large class hall in my uni.

it's used to find traces of semen to identify the sluts in your school

Looks like an IR illuminator. You can't see near-IR but most camera sensors can. (and you probably wouldn't see this if you took a picture with a DSLR, since they generally have better IR-blocking filters. You can get ones specially modified without them, astrophotographers use them)

as to why its there, it's probably there to enable some kind of camera to see when the lights are out. Either a security camera, or just a motion sensing one to turn the lights on when someone walks in.

Bump from old thread

Thanks.
btw it is located in a teaching hall in a hospital.
I'd be surprised it it was for security reasons because the place is very lackluster in this regard.
Could it actually be used like
said ? would a camera connected with this illuminator find traces of semen on faces, for example ?

>Could it actually be used like said?
No. cum fluoresces under UV light, not IR.

Is there an image viewer that has a "Send to > Desktop (create shortcut)" option? I know it's a bit rough to ask for a submenu shortcut but I use shortcuts a lot to avoid having dupe images everywhere occupying space while also not being inside their sorted folder.

I currently use "explorer "/n,/select,"%1" as the external editor in irfanview (got the command from the readme or something) to open the currentimage in explorer, then I right click and send to desktop. But doing this is a hassle. I guess my entire method of using shortcuts could be mostly undermined if I used tags instead, but I'm not sure how nor am I sure it's for me. So is there a send to desktop shortcut for W7, thanks.

I'm currently running Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on a laptop with kernel 4.4 on a laptop with Intel i5 sandy bridge.
I have my new PC coming in a few days with Ryzen 3 1200 and GTX 1050Ti.
Can I just put my laptop boot drive and put it into my new PC without any issue?

So which ones of these filters and lists I need to tick on uBlock and which one I shouldn't?
currently I'm using all of them and my RAM is screaming

so i just updated firefox to nightly and appchan x isn't working anymore.
how can fix?

I have an iPad mini 2, and it runs fairly well. Everything after ipad 4 should work (when they switched to 64-bit architecture).
I gave my old ipad 3 to my mom, but it's pretty slow and doesn't support ios 11. Still works though and she uses it to watch video/tv.

>Colocate server
>Run Seedbox VM
>Windows 7 x64
>Accesses HDD on server, is mapped to guest.
>Transmission-qt crashes/loses port forwarding at random
>qBittorrent works great but then "stalls"

what the shit am I supposed to do? Tracker only accepts certain clients too.

see "Ads (4)" ?
you need all those above, all those in the Ads, privacy category. the rest is optionnal, the more you add, the slower pages will load.

This "example" does more harm, than good, isn't it?
I mean, plain "youarenotprepared!" would be harder to bruteforce through while easier to remember.
>inb4: relevant xkcd

how do i achieve the font rendering on the left

install mactype

but i have

Never mind I switched MacType from service to registry and it fixed everything.

If that was your password then it would be. But the attacker would have to know specifically what kind of password you're using, though in terms of pure bruteforce it would also be easier to crack.
>UrN0tPr3p4r3d!
1.006132e+26 combinations
>youarenotprepared!
1.0314425e+28 combinations

Mask attacks would render "youarenotprepared!" a very insecure password. Mask attacks + rules would render "UrN0tPr3p4r3d!" insecure as well, but because it's using 2 different methods it would be harder. The conclusion: password cracking isn't a linear formulae, and shouldn't be treat as such. Knowing the target can be a great advantage.

If you knew the exact character set of the target, and length then it would be
>youarentpd!
5.5599173e+18 combinations
>UrN0tP3p4d!
3.7974983e+14 combinations

Looking to sell the following:
Fx6300 on 990fx mobo(sabertooth ?)
8gb
r9 380
1tb hdd
&
Fx9590 on crosshair v formula z
16gb
1060 6gb
1tb hdd

Intend on bundling screen(1080p)speakers, kb+m with them.
so would 600£ for the 2nd & 400£ for 1st a fair enough price?

The first build, mine was very similar (mine was a better CPU and MB) I got for £650 back in 2013. "Fair" would be roughly £250, but you could probably push it to £400 if the buyer was an idiot.

Is comparing CPU benchmarks a reasonable rule of thumb for comparing laptops?

I have to recommend a used laptop for someone and I'm trying to decide whether an older business laptop or a newer plebian laptop is best. Looking at an elitebook 2540p vs. HP pavilion something-or-other at the moment.

How can most programs not use 100% CPU while still being active? Why, for example, does node.js not use 100% cpu yet be so reactive when something trigger it?

>current state of Sup Forums
This has to be bait

It is called stupid questions, why you bully?

The obvious purposefully broken English gives you away more than anything. Tip: don't try too hard when baiting (You)'s

>you're not allowed to as stupid questions in the stupid questions thread because your English is not within epsilon of my preferred level of English
Fuck off m8

How bad of an idea is the "TDR fix"

My display driver keeps crashing, had a quick google about it and the most recommended fixes are
>"update graphics driver"
which I already did. At first it seemed to stop the random crashes while just browsing, it ran for 2h fine yesterday and another 2h fine earlier today, but when I launched a game it practically instantly crashed again anyway and now the browsing crashes started again.
>"check ram with memtest86+"
got through 4 full passes with no errors
>"check hard drive with seatools"
got through SMART check, short generic & short drive self test (which were the recommended ones)
>"Run System File Checker"
which I ran with no issues
>"reinstall windows"
This windows installation is a week old, it's basically a brand new pc, other than my old HDD and a second hand GPU I bought, but was shown to be working fine
>"check for overheating"
at idle it hovers around 45 which is apparently normal'ish for an RX 580, and it crashes at that temperature as well. When gaming, it shoots up to about 60 but I can't get it to go much further before it crashes.
and then the TDR fix

the TDR fix seems like you try to ignore the issue rather than fix it, and I feel like it might cause big problems, seeing as far as I can tell it has to do with how long a program can fail to respond before shit goes wrong, so I assume it would allow things to freeze for up to 8 seconds

Thanks
I think I'm gonna get her an iPad Air 1, since it still seems to hold up pretty well and has a nice screen without being too expensive (found it @250ish)

That's more like it!

If it feels sluggish point 7 and 8 in link below helps a lot

osxdaily.com/2017/10/06/ios-11-slow-speed-up-performance/
>Disable Parallax UI Effects and Reduce Motion
>Reduce iOS System Transparency Effects

since noone is answering in /fglt/ I'll ask it here

if I upgrade from Ubuntu 17.04 to 17.10 will I be able to use the Unity desktop environment?
any compatibility issues?

>respects your freedom
>DDG
>StartPage

Basically a program can call a "wait" or "sleep" function to say "I have nothing to do, wake me up in X time, or when Y happens". A lot of programs have an event loop where they just tell the OS/environment "here's a list of events I want to be told about, wake me up when one happens", then they go to sleep. The OS gets control back and can idle the CPU most of the time. When an event happens it wakes the program and it loops through all its events till its out of them, then goes back to sleep.

Some things do this automatically. Like if you have a function that gets another line of user input, it'll block. that is, it won't return control until there's input to report. If the user sits there and stares at their keyboard the function might not return for a long time. The rest of the program neither knows nor cares, its not even running.

This is all way oversimplified but you get the basic idea.

Is there any offline Virtual Assistant that could replace the botnet one on Android?

quick googling told me when you upgrade it install gnome and make it the default DE.
Unity is still installed and you'll have to select it on the login screen

Cheers la

Thanks m8, time to read up on event loops.

Looking to get a big monitor for reading documents and Web pages with a side of video and movie viewing.

What's the minimum gpu specs I need for 4K 60hz output for Web browsers and playing video? I figure since I don't play games it will be a trivial requirement (even an older i5 with integrated video can do 4K at 30hz) but I want to get a good idea of where to shoot for.

yes but you'll have to install nvidia drivers yourself

I'm now also getting blue screens labelled "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" which apparently indicates RAM problems, but those should have been found if I used mdsched.exe and memtest86+ no?

What is the best way to PC game in a console like setting? By that I mean chill on a couch/bed, with a big tv and controller

Is it worth to get a small, cheap air compressor? Just to remove dust from stuff, would it be comparable to a compressed air can?

nah i tried it, they cant put out enough air per second to clearn very well.

do you know a better way to get and show the current used workspace in i3 via script? I know about a python script people use but I don't quite get it so I was looking for an easier alternative and so far this is the best result. it's ok but I have to wait 1 second before the actual workspace is correctly showed in my script since I have a loop that updates every 1 second. how do you cultured people do it?

I hope my "what's a good laptop that isn't a thinkpad" question qualifies as stupid.

it surely is a stupid thread, I say

So when I turn my computer on I see the American Megatrends screen and then it goes black. I can't access the bios or boot menu nor boot into linux without removing my ssd. Using another ssd yeilds no problems. The ssd in question works in other machines fine.

Going to upgrade to an SSD soon but I'm really confused reading up on how to set up full system encryption on it. I was going to install Arch with Anarchy Linux and have the drive encrypted from the installer. I get conflicting reports of whether or not whole disk encryption inpairs performance or shortens life.
I'm really confused.
Is it safe to encrypt my SSD from the OS installer? I just don't want my Windows 10 gaming partition to mess up the Arch install where I'll be doing everything else.

I was given a 2010 macbook pro which had a battery that didn't charge. I replaced the battery and now the damn fan is noisy as fuck and doesn't seem to even boot into OSX.

How the hell do I fix this? Some google results say it might be the thermal sensors not that anyone seems to know where they are. Even without the battery at all the problems still there. Already unplugging/plugging just about every connector I could see.

Think I'm just going to bin it.

In vim, how do you open a file in its original state when you're currently editing it in a buffer (so that there are unsaved changes)? All I've found is "create a function to diff between the two states", but I don't want a diff.
:e file opens the file in another buffer with the same unsaved changes.

A site said it was doing blockchain shit while I browsed unless I said no, what is the easiest way to stop this before it starts?

Did 4chanX fuck up for anyone else?
Yesterday it randomly stopped working on firefox, but oneechan still functions. Seems like it's stuck in some kind of "in-between" state because "Post a Reply" is gone and clicking on a post doesn't bring up the vanilla quick reply window like it does on a vanilla browser.
Tried reinstalling but no dice.

github.com/gorhill/uBlock

it comes with a "resource abuse" filter list enabled by default

my computer doesn't automatically use my headphones when I connect them on windows 10, how do I fix it?

Anyone here and good at OpenGL? I need help with a project. I think to fix it it'd take 10 minutes of someone that's good at OpenGL. Will pay £20. I'm broke.

these there a windows equivalent of wine to run Linux programs

windows 10 has WSL which is functionally similar

>im trying to copy from this drive
>mp3 files @ 45mb/s
>mkv @ 66mb/s
Is this how windows always was? Is Gentoo the only way to get un-cucked?

Anyone know how to fix an icon's name width in thunar? pic related

Got your back windowscentral.com/how-install-bash-shell-command-line-windows-10

Is there any effect if I install ghostery add-on, if I already have uBlock Origin?

What is puckabugga?

politically correct backgrounds

why do you need that? also you could just copy the file and open the copy

Is there a Tox client for windows XP?

It's fine here

I got a Nexus 6P which got the dreaded bootloop issue, and my dumb ass never backed up the files on it.
The other shitty thing is I need to unlock the bootloader before I try the fix that restricts the phone to running on 4 cores. So for now only fastboot/recovery mode still work (pic related, not my phone but still).
Is there a way to recover the data on it with only stock recovery installed?

if variable x points to variable y, does x point to the object that y points to, or does it point to y which points to whichever object itself points to?

i.e.
y = 4;
x =y;
y = 2; //x now = 2

So x points to the "pointer" y?

Not necessarily, you're only copying the data from the variables stored in memory not the actual pointer location.

they are different names for the same memory location

So no matter what the value of that memory location actually is, the location of it will never change?

Was just about to add that to my original response.

This is basically creating a new location in memory with the same data. You would now have two different pointers in this case, unless you used references.

Correct, the location in memory will be valid until termination.

Thanks

are there any Sup Forums recommended ext hdds? looking at getting a 4tb WD one to take while im on the plane to watch movies and shit.

How long do new laptops tend to last? I want to buy a new one, a Surface or an X1 Yoga seems nice, but I don't want one that breaks after just 3 years.

Why 4 tb? I have a mypassport wd 1tb and it works fine.

When are some good fucking monitors coming?

I've been running an overclocked cheap Korean PLS 1440p 110Hz monitor for like five years and there's still nothing worth replacing it with, I want a 144Hz 4K display, when the fuck is someone going to make one?

I really stuck with a project. Asked it a few days ago on Sup Forumssqt
I need to use opencv to process image, in the end I will get a bunch of coordinates, x,y, size
so I want to store all that data in a c++ struct vector.
How am I supposed to pass all that value from c++ to c#?
Can any1 help me with an example?

Please help me Sup Forums

My problem is that the screenshots I take in War Thunder come out very dark and lacking in antialiasing, and compressed to shit. I've tried both WT's own screenshot function with F12, I've also tried Fraps, Afterburner and AMD ReLive, and all make the same dark image. It's like the screenshot isn't capturing the game's gamma and post processing. It doesn't happen with any other game, and in fact this didn't happen in my old computer. So it's either something with War Thunder or something with Windows, anyone got any ideas?

( 2/62) Removing libndr-krb5pac0-4.6.7+git.49.562d44faa9d-1.3.x86_64 ...........................................[error]
Removal of (69705)libndr-krb5pac0-4.6.7+git.49.562d44faa9d-1.3.x86_64(@System) failed:
Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: rpmdb: damaged header #93042 retrieved -- skipping.
error: rpmdb: damaged header #93042 retrieved -- skipping.
error: package libndr-krb5pac0-4.6.7+git.49.562d44faa9d-1.3.x86_64 is not installed

openSUSE Tumbleweed btw. This happens every update (or distro upgrade, which I do), and I simply ignore it and continue the update without much issue.

Can I do anything? Pretty sure that package is installed, but I get the same error when trying to remove it (and nothing really happens if I try to install it).

Which laptop has THE best screen?

1080p T510.

Is there a good guide on how to minimize the shittiness of windows 10?

Revert back to 7