/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=Znefpel-4mQ

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TuO22Er4QqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=CaeRD5GyKHM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck Archie and fuck TGV
They are as bad as eachother

Archie is worse, actually.

Are there any watches that look like this one and aren't made by SKWAAAAAAALE?

Need a good looking metal watch
Is Citizen the best option for a sub 500€ budget?

>t. Ugly Alpinist owners

Why are they bad?

Wrist check, what are you wearing right now Sup Forumsents? Still wearing the nodate sub here.

Post it in a couple more daily /wt/ threads maybe we'll pay attention then

C
U
C
K

I'm going to post it in every thread until you love me papa.

So you take that photo and say to yourself you know what? I should post this online! Mother fucker move the camera back use ambient light sources not flash. Also that looks strange as fuck especially at the bracelet.

Shut the fuck up, Trist-Ano

Bracelet is aftermarket, I'm waiting on a leather strap.

Are you also waiting for a cloth of some kind? The amount of grease on the glass, jeez

No, seiko is, get a seiko sarb, or for that price you can find a king seiko in very good condition. Also, if you want an alternative you can go for a Hamilton khaki field or an Omega constellation in good condition.

Watches are meant to be worn and enjoyed, my good friend, not kept as trophies.

Get a nice fake, asshole

Where is Omega in that pyramid? I had the impression that they are good clocks.

If user can afford a rollie, he can afford to post a decent pic of it on /wt/.

in the "only if you really want" tier

Staymad boyos

Pic
also just got a Turtle diver as well today

that hand-wrist ration
you a frogman or something?

Sup Forums i just been scammed. I bought a gagarin sturmanskie shitter listed as in working condition and recently serviced by a watchmaker for cca 20$. First thing i noticed was the minute handle was free spinning without winding it up and now the whole watch stopped working. Should I take it to a watchmaker to find out if it's salvageable first or just return it? I would like to keep it, but don't want to void ebay's buyer protection in the case if it's beyond repair.

don't underpay next time and never ever buy anything from a Ukrainian. You did not mention it in your post but i am just going to assume you did not get the watch from Russia or any other eastern European country but instead got it form fucking Ukraine. Am i right?

it was an auction with few people. and yes the seller was Ukrainian

Where is your watchmaker going to find prats for it? Return that shit and never again buy a fucking watch from Ukraine. Jesus Christ man what did you expect?

youtu.be/TuO22Er4QqQ

You brought this on yourself.

Take better wrist shots ffs.

> I'm a monster

The Armida A1 does the blue dial, blue bezel microbrand shitter thing for less than half the price of the SKWAAAAALLLLLEEEEE. The Steinshit Ocean One Premium Blue is half the price and has an ETA 2892-A2 top grade, and finally, the Seiko SBDC053 has a blue dial and blue bezel without being a hilariously poorly externally finished vicious nasty SHITTER

Not the same blue.

Well, enjoy your $900 shitter externally finished like a $12 AliExpress watch then.

>tfw bought an Alpinist
Well, I like it. Archie suckers need not apply.

I love it when its a watch thread but the photo is not a watch so you are forced to ctrl-f it for no reason

if the second crown screwed down, it didn't look like lume was missing from the hands, and it didn't cost more than a 2892 equipped Hamilton it would almost be a reasonable thing to buy.

DIASHOCK

also fuck you
youtube.com/watch?v=CaeRD5GyKHM

>went to my local fake market to check out watches
>the replicas look 99% like originals I have handled
>the Rolexes especially
>the ceramics, proportions, color shades were all spot on
>the only thing different was the lettering and engraving is slightly lower quality
>something you wouldn't notice unless you held it up to your face and memorized what the originals looks like

I'm starting to question this hobby

reckon the Rolex Explorer is the perfect all around multipurpose watch

some of the Chinese copies are impeccable unless you're able to open them up and take them apart which you can't before you buy

it's ridiculous

even the white gold models have a different shade of steel VERY close to real white gold that it's harder not to be fooled

Rolex makes everything perfectly including their extremely well designed movements. The hands are made of precious metals and the lume is very high quality. The movements are tested for weeks out of the watches and in the watches to within exacting standards. The watches are incredibly water resistant and will last life times if serviced at regular intervals.

chink shitters are machined like shit the dials are shit and the indices will fall off, the movements are 30 dollar Chinese trash movements that are not accurate, will break in months, don't have rugged hand winding mechanisms and do not have quick change date, the bracelets are shit and don't fit they are not water proof and they wont even last a few years let alone generations.

You can rely on any rolex you buy anywhere in the world you can't rely on a fake. beyond that the massive demand for rolex watches has driven their prices up. If the chinks didn't stop being commies we would still be able to buy rolex's at reasonable prices.

36mm only and yes you are right

Leaving aside that you are wrong about the exterior finishing being as good, the real question you have to ask yourself is this: Do you care about the quality, accuracy, and reliability of the movement inside the watch or just in the styling and the imagined "prestige" you believe wearing a Rolex grants you?

the Chinese manage to replicate 99% of that for $200-300. Also how the fuck would Chinese be responsible for swiss watch inflation.

Rolex is probably just laughing at your fanboyism and counting their shekels.

is it ok to like ETA shitters?

>99 percent of a real rolex 200 dollars
>is retarded
>how are they responsible for inflating prices
>doesn't even understand basic supply and demand
>is retarded

man you've never seen some of these grade A+ Chinese fakes
you go into these places in Shanghai or Shenzhen and you can get absolutely indistinguishable watches barring extremely meticulous examination or a serial number check with Rolex.

this
Rolex are a prestige item of course, but they are also absolute tanks and even their more flimsy models can take a beating and still work perfectly
their sports watches are absolute titans

>2892 equipped Hamilton
How much would that be?

>How much would that be?
Don't get your hopes up, it doesn't have a second hand. Hamilton would not have been permitted to use a 2892-A2 at a sub-$1,000 pricepoint otherwise as it would screw up Swatch's entirely artificial market segmentation.

You really don't understand do you? Making a decent steel case out of the cheapest stainless you can get in mass quantities is not going to cost you a billion dollars. making that case perfectly every time out of high grade steel , finishing it to very high standards, making it waterproof, testing it is expensive. A shitty movement that will break in a few months meets no accuracy requirements has metal fragments in the bearings is untested and has no features whatsoever is cheap whereas an ultra accurate automatic movement that is robust, has excellent shock protection, hacking, hand-winding, quick set date, instant change date, durable parts meant for a lifetime of servicing then adjusting it in multiple positions and temperatures and testing it for weeks outside of and inside a case is expensive. Basic metal hands with Chinese lume and a garbage dial with glued on indices cheap paint and an unfinished rear is cheap; A high end set of precious metal hands and a hand made dial perfectly finished and inspected with precious metal indices and swiss made superluminova lume is not cheap. No qc or warranty or distribution network costs nothing; A very good warranty and global distribution and servicing costs a lot. The huge increase in demand from china, brazil, russia, india, and parts of africa have driven prices up significantly so obviously Rolex is not going to sell these things at cost; why the fuck would they?

>sub-1000
Nig pls, I bought the Alpinist for equivalent of 324 us shekels.

>can't answer
>replica market somehow affects supply and demand
>implying greedy swiss aren't just capitalizing on people's obsession with style and vanity lately

I'm talking with an idiot.

>that you are wrong

I own a BLNR so I know what I'm talking about unlike your armchair opinions. This isn't like 90s canal street where you read "BOLEX" on the dial.

fake watches is a huge business in China and for the highest quality ones they do put them through some pretty strong standards and testing.
obviously not the same as Rolex but its hardly anything like what you seem to think where they fall apart after a few months/years

holy fuck its retarded

>dumb rolex fanboy shows how uneducated he is
>repeating a phrase in cognitive dissonance

lmao. go away.

the price increase is from increased demand you understand? Developing nations are producing large numbers of millionaires that want luxury goods. The supply is not increasing at the same rate as demand so the firm increases prices you dimwitted fuck.

they should make it more difficult for people to get onto Sup Forums so we could weed out the legitimate brainlets.

if you ever visit China, or Vietnam, or Thailand take a look at these big shopping malls and see what sort of watches they will show you if you pretend to be interested.
I've been shown bottom of the barrel "Relax" tier fakes with glitter and children's jewellery glued on, to absolutely impeccable ones with display backs and movements that honestly look identical at a glance, even ones with real gold/gems

>Rolex can't keep up with demand when they practically own all the factories to make every Rolex part and can easily scale

LOL also Arabs are the ones who love buying a hundred Rolexes and giving it away to their entire extended family like candies.

(You)

The display back makes it a much more accurate Rolex rep yeah.

>anime meme reply because he can't actually engage in intellectual discourse

>absolutely impeccable ones with display backs

Holy fuck this guy is retarded

I just came back from a tripo to malaysia, vietnam, cambodia, thailand, china you still don't understand everything that goes into making a watch.

That was because the original intra matic it was based off had no seconds hand. Stop making baseless claims.

>another thread derailed by fakefaggotry
Unless your fakes movement is getting +1spd for six months straight, please fuck off
No one cares if they look pretty enough to fool drunken Stacey at the bar, if you want to talk fashion go to /fa/

this

please fucking stop. Fakes are trash and for trash people. KYS. This isnt even good bait.

And how do you justify shit like oris who sticks a third party stellitta movement into a chunk of 'swiss' stainless steel and then tries to charge you $2.5k for it?

we gotta get rid of these fake fags somehow.

>Call Shane
>"Watch is running perfectly, machine says so"

I am actually stunned. He's keeping an eye on it manually but I specifically posted pictures of it beside my atomic gShock losing at least a minute and a half in a day. What the fuck. Maybe I didn't wind it enough and ritually?

Oh, does the ETA 2892-A2 become cheaper to make if it doesn't have a second hand stuck on it? No? Then why is the Intra-Matic the only Swatch Group watch with an ETA 2892-A2 below $1,000? The answer is quite obvious.

ok but its hardly as if its beer can tier movements like that one user mentioned, they are at least 1k quality sometimes masquerading as a 10k watch selling for like 3k

>implying a Class A Seagull movement or Miyota can't perform as well as entry level +/-30 ETA

I really doubt that accuracy is worth the addtional $9000. Also if you cared about accuracy you would be buying a Grand Seiko instead since they have more rigorous standards than even COSC

>regurgitating swiss marketing phrases

lel. honest discourse requires actual exploration instead of just shoving your head in a swiss echochamber and going LALALALALA

I assume Shane stuck it on the demagnetizer as a matter of course, so that probably fixed it.

You realize you are not naming movements
pulling data out of your ass
have no evidence for anything
and are pulling pricing numbers out of your ass
and also saying we have to fly to asia to see for ourselves?

He did not mention that but I hope to god that was the fix because otherwise i'd go crazy trying to figure out what went wrong.

> I think Rolex uses standard grade eta movements and doesn't have stricter standards than cosc.

quit feeding the troll.

because I see these watches and the insides of them, I know what they look like and they are not garbage quality.
if the Chinese were't so unimaginative and tasteless they could easily be making their own line of high end watches no issue and implode the Swiss market like Japan did in the 70-80s

Any recommendations for old Swatch Internet Time watches? I want to wear a piece of autist history, and decimal time is top-grade autism.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time

Any ideas what's going 9n here? Supposedly a gyromatic hf, and the bridge pretty clearly says 36000, but the rotor just says 17j instead of the 33 that I would expect in a cal 32a

Reposting because I didn't notice the post limit in the last thread.

Gonna post some watch pics which I just took with a chink phone camera lens kit I bought for less than 3€ on aliexpress. Here’s macro.

A good portion of watch snobs don't even consider Grand Seiko luxury watches. You think anyone will go for luxury Chinese watches? Don't hold your breath.

Here’s wide+macro.

Fisheye
>inb4 wristlet

And finally without any lense.
Do you guys approve? I think the macro lense is pretty nice and will serve me well for future dial close-up pics.

I like how your watch matches your floor. That must be a res floor. Looks like mec eng.

GS has only been "out in the open" for less than 10 years, and only became its own thing this year
give it time, they are making great stuff and are growing in popularity.
also it doesn't matter what Westerners think if the Chinese market is willing to buy Chinese watches

>That must be a res floor. Looks like mec eng.

what did you mean by that?

It looks like the kind of floor that would be in a student residence

Anyone else interested in calculator watches?

No

What kind of watch has a similar vibe for less then $200? Ultra slim looks comfy compared to my thicc diver.

Shane as in the watch maker in the GTA?

Yes