Why is almost no one buying this?

Why is almost no one buying this?
What went wrong?
I don't understand..

Other urls found in this thread:

essential.com/pages/friends-and-family-offer
quora.com/Why-do-most-mobile-phones-have-nonreplaceable-batteries-nowadays-as-of-2015–16
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cant replace battery

That butt ugly notch on top

What is it?

camera is shit, company will most likely die so you are fucked for support thanks to that braindead notch

It is an android phone

>pretentious marketing
>no headphone jack
>no waterproofing
>expensive
>shit camera
>ugly notch
just everything

I can't even buy it even if I wanted to.

you just described iphone

I have literally never heard of this

What is it?

Essential Phone

Tbf the notch is less noticeable and less ugly than the iphone's. I agree with other things you mentioned.

What went wrong is early adopters were misled, overcharged had their dentity stolen, then their product devauled by about 400 dollars.

(Late adopter here, even at the new price it's not that great camera still blos, ui freezes sometimes in general use.

The one positive I'll say is it feels nice in the hand

so does my dick and its far more essential

> what went wrong ?
> i don't understand..

ill explain it really simply... it was an ok android phone marketing itself as "premium" brand

maybe after a few years and a few solid releases at average price points but they just came rushing proclaiming they were hot shit

and whats worse is noe everyone is fucking charging a premium for meh android hardware - pixel 2 i am looking at you

newsflash morons most normies just buy apple and pay for apple because of the logo, that is all !

and the situation is if you are employed by one of these companies you arent going to tell your boss its second fiddle, it will get you fired, what they are pushing has to be the best !

This desu. This kind of innovashun is acceptable till we figure out how to get rid of top bezel completely.
The notch is small and if it acts like dead pixels on top, its ok cause it was mostly empty space anyway on your notification bar.
If you are going to say it come and fucks up your movie watching experience, i would laugh at you. Cause phones for watching funny whatsapp and fb videos not bluray rips.

you know if it just had that screen and no notch and no selfie whore camera and a headphone jack it would be a pretty legendary device

i have used my front facing camera for video less than twice in 5 years , but yet i listen to proper 24bit vinyl rips through the headphone jack everyday,,,

normies ruined the internet
and now
normies are ruining phones

fuckers '!!!!!

Imagine if they didn't ape Apple and gave that thing

>expandable memory
>removable battery
>headphone jack

You'd think people would take advantage of Apple's retardation by now.

Why is lack of a headphone jack such a dealbreaker? It's not like usb-c headphones are inferior or expensive or something. Nothing wrong with having universal connector, r-right?

Nerds only think in featuresets.
That's why there's been a decades long distro crusade, processor war, programming language pissing contest, window manager kerfuffle etc.

no, no and no

headphone jacks were seamlessly intergrated into phones for years, if your bluetooth buds went flast you could just plug whatever you had lying around and it just worked, no dongle

could plug it into my car - no dongle
could ride my bike without an expensive dongle breaking in my pocket

hate to sound like stallman but it just bone headed and anti consumer

especially now usb-c is not a standard ! the usb-c audio pass through is not universally supported. the google pixel 2 does not have an onboard dac, does not do usb-c pass through and needs an expensive nongle that is its own DAC... already straigh off the batt things have gone horrible wrong...

not to mention right angle headphones are awkward and top of line flagship apple phones dont do APT-X HD lossless bluetooth audio

there. plenty of reason why i am so pissed off...

It's not just only having USB-C, it's also having one fewer port than we used to. If the bottoms of phones now had two USB-C ports I wouldn't mind nearly as much. But more than that, there's no reason point to do it, it means we need to build the DAC into ever pair of headphones instead of building it once into the phone and it's just a blatant cash grab by phone manufacturers.

Yes having fewer connector standards is nice, but we're pretty much at the point where you can survive using just three/four (3.5mm jack, USB and DisplayPort and maybe Ethernet) and for me that's officially low enough.

>how to get rid of top bezel
I don't like this, not even a little. I do get the appeal. But where are you supposed to rest your thumbs when playing games or doing other things in portrait mode?

I like what the new Razer phone did there, keep'em and make it good stereo speakers. Of course they forgot to put a headphone jack on that one so in the trash it goes but I like that design better than no bezel.

To me it's a big question of cost too. "OMG I forgot my $5-10 ear-buds at the gym! oh well, I'll buy another pair on the way there tomorrow" or "OMG I forgot my $100+ USB-C DAC adapter at the gym! I must go back right now and look for them and hope they are still there!"

Since i dont play gaymes on my phone i never thought about that. 99% of the times i use my phone in portrait mode. I wish phones would stick to 5" max with little to no bezels so its easy for one handed use. I loved the iphone 5 series for their size. Phone of that size with no bezels? Just take my money!

Yea but the iPhone has apple's marketing machine behind it and all the Apple hype and all the iSheep that will buy a brick in a box to fall back on.

>hype it up
>delays
>release it with a retarded price tag when you're basically an unknown company
>google release their new shit
>apple release their new shit
>you cut the price a bit thinking you will still get sales

Yeah don't know man.

I gotta buy this in a few months used or new depending on the price.

Honestly it looks next-gen compared to current generation smartphones and it has all the features. Features nowadays are pretty similar anyways.

The fact that it has no logo and nearly no one else has it don't hurt at all too.

It's solid but some people would call it heavy
It doesn't enjoy a giant marketing campaign
The camera and performance are underwhelming
There are no apparent cosmetic qualities on the outside to set it apart
It's facing stiff competition from Samsung, Apple, and Google's Pixel 2

other than the
>no waterproofing
or
>Shit camera

There's something wrong with smarphone pricetags.

Wouldn't pay more than $300 dlls for a smarphone.

all these fucking notches, why not a little pop up camera about the side of a thicc micro sd?

Pop up camera? What is this, 2006?

Why even buy smarthpone? Flip phones are the shit.

Well take a fucking guess.

well, how else would the NSA be able to spy on you?

I tried to look like meme devices, but people don't buy meme devices for the looks - they buy them for the company logo.

what kind of phone are you using?

OP5. It has only one meme.

>buying a USB-C headphone costs more than not buying one and using your existing one
>no-one wanted the damn thing removed in the first place
>we didn't get anything useful in return, like an extra USB port or something
>ditching the headphone jack broke compatibility with many older audio devices that people don't normally replace, because they last so long
>the jack is not likely to be superseded by a different audio port any time soon, the same thing cannot be said about USB-C, who knows whether your USB-C audio equipment won't become obsolete in 10 years
>now you can either buy a headphone that works with your iPhone, or one that works with your android, so ditching one platform for the other now means ditching more of your existing accessories
>Bluetooth headphones cost more, don't last as long because of the battery, and have inferior audio quality right now

sounds generic as fuck

The phone actually has absolutely no branding on it. It's actually refreshing.

The name? Yeah. But who cares as long as it has no logo or other cringeworthy branding

Massive bezel on the bottom. A company nobody has heard of either.

Turns out it wasn't so essential after all

>iphone
>shit camera
This ain't 2009, pajeet

It's basically a $700 chink phone. At that price you might as well buy a proven quantity like Samsung or Pixel.

no samsung logo

that notch is ugly, fingerprint scanner placement is wrong, and the brand is a literal who with bad customer support.

It's $500 now. So more OnePlus price range.

I really feel bad for anyone that bought this over the Mi mix 2. It's basically the same phone without the dumb notch and it was below $600 to begin with. Both cameras on the mix 2 aren't shit too.

Not him but all phone cameras are objectively shit.

Yeah, of course, when compared to an actual camera

I kinda like that idea.

Or even better: no front facing camera at all because I'm not a girl so I never take selfies.
I literally used the front facing camera for the first time about 6 months ago and was surprised the image was mirrored. - I wonder how many guys knew about that.

>compared to an actual camera

What else should you compare a camera to, a banana?

It's a camera in a phone. It just doesn't make much sense comparing it to a dslr.

nothing new and reduced functionality
literally shit

great phone really top notch BUT

no catchy name
nothing to make it go on top
new company
not enough ads
thinking its going to sell because he is a former nokia engineer

hoping the price plummets even more a la the Nextbit Robin

Camera still looks trash after their updates but I'd buy one for $200 or so

This pretty much, if at least there were some standard for audio through usb-c and phoned still had an internal dac I would't be this mad.

this man, you can only polish a turd so much

It's not in stores

If it had a headphone jack maybe.

No one knows it exists, partnered only with a second rate carrier.

>top notch

Just waiting on Stellar Gray

No incentive to take a gamble on an unproven new company.

Whats the best phone in late 2017 that has a user replaceable battery that doesn't involve melting glue or working screws?

I have an APS-C mirrorless, it's not convenient to carry it around with me everywhere I go. For just random snapshits with decent light are perfectly serviceable on modern smart phones.

Stop trying to defend bad design.

The reason essential didn't sell is because it doesn't have a fruit logo on it.

The way to get rid of bezels and still have your shitty selfie camera is to make the selfie camera pop up from behind the screen. Problem solved! No need for awful receding hairline designs.

Brand recognition is too important. 99% of the phones you see on the street are Apple, Samsung, or LG.
Pixel is rare, but it's from Google, so it gets a pass. Shit like this and One+whatever comes as knockoff chink shit.

Yeah fuck no headphone jack. Fuck apple they killed it

Overpriced at launch. They've fixed that, but now the initial hype has died.

Just give me a removable battery, so many good phones that I can't convince myself to upgrade to since I don't want to take out a heat gun to replace a battery.

I'm tempted to get one now, $450 at BB.

still using a fucking nexus 5

>notch somehow worse than the x

can't compete with apple in the usa. can't compete with koreans and chinese outside usa.

If I wasn’t stuck in the Apple ecosystem for a few more years, I would have picked up the Essential Phone or the Xperia XZ1.

>make meme phone with gimmick design (notch) and features (360 camera accessory)
>but no money to market aggressively to normies

What was the business strategy here?

that the google phone?
I like iPhone and Apple actually patches their shit with some good attention to security, and sandboxes their apps and does not let 3rd parties overwrite or shadow the UI...

Oh. In that case, most people can just buy a 'Everymans phone' iPhone for the same price and get an experience that isn't about the OS but is instead about how you live your life.

If I go for a run I can use the built in OS shit in Apples phones/devices to pair my shoes using Nike. Their built in app suites are an expression of how we live. Fuck I hate the pricing on their stuff, but I agree that in some respects they have the superior product on market.

>looking like a stupid faggit with headphones in as you go about your day

because the camera is dogshit

if it didnt have those retarded rounded screen corners and it did have a headphone jack, i woulda copped.

that looks comfy

>BR
>telegram chat with a faggot named diogo

you speak like fucking monkeys, how the fuck did you manage to get a computer or even use telegram to organize your trucker stop fuck sessions?

I really really want one, but I can't afford one unless one of you kind Sup Forums anons gives me a friends and family discount code.

Can someone with an Essential phone hook me up with the friends and family discount code? It's easy, just go here:

essential.com/pages/friends-and-family-offer

You can get a discount code from their website above and email it to kimwilson at keemail.me.

I would be eternally grateful, thank you.

Just took mine out of the packaging a couple hours ago. The scroll stuttering is pretty off-putting even though it was supposed to be mostly fixed in the latest firmware update. There are also a few other shitty quirks like the phone will freeze if you accidentally rest your finger on the fingerprint reader while using it.
Feels fantastic though and the screen is really nice.

pathetic

You're flipping these codes on ebay, aren't you, scum?

No one has even sent me a code yet. I'm still sitting here with an old ass Moto X gen 1.

>
>no, no and no
>headphone jacks were seamlessly intergrated into phones for years, if your bluetooth buds went flast you could just plug whatever you had lying around and it just worked, no dongle
>could plug it into my car - no dongle
>could ride my bike without an expensive dongle breaking in my pocket
>hate to sound like stallman but it just bone headed and anti consumer
>especially now usb-c is not a standard ! the usb-c audio pass through is not universally supported. the google pixel 2 does not have an onboard dac, does not do usb-c pass through and needs an expensive nongle that is its own DAC... already straigh off the batt things have gone horrible wrong...
>not to mention right angle headphones are awkward and top of line flagship apple phones dont do APT-X HD lossless bluetooth audio
>there. plenty of reason why i am so pissed off...

Exactly. Even my /CSG/ quality bluedio Bluetooth headphones have 3.5 mm in so I can use it when the battery dies. All phones should come with 3.5mm jack.

It's worse than the iPhone X notch for sure.

No fucking phones even do this anymore

Calm down Rajeet

>volunteering to get punched in the dick is so awesome
>I mean think about it, it's so much better than volunteering to get your entire genitals amputated, amirite guise?

Moto g5 and lg v20 are options and the samsung on series, you honestly should't fall for the locked batery scam
quora.com/Why-do-most-mobile-phones-have-nonreplaceable-batteries-nowadays-as-of-2015–16

it came out around the same time as the actually desirable iphone x

never release within 3 months of a new iphone

anyone got that wallpaper?

>all phone cameras are objectively shit
What if you're a landscape photographer who usually stops the lens way down for ultra deep depth of field?

Huh you bokeh-sniffing artfaggot?

The notch. It's gross.

"Essential phone"

>stupid selfie camera, making it butt ugly
>no headphone jack
>no wireless charging
>no expandable storage

Do they mean it lacks the essentials?