I overclocked my ryzen 1600 to 4ghz without any problems at all, at 1.35v

I overclocked my ryzen 1600 to 4ghz without any problems at all, at 1.35v

However, when I open cpu-z it shows the core speed as 1.6GHz and doesn't change when the CPU is under load. Any way I can confirm things are working as they should?

bump the overclock to 5ghz and then check it again

It also pulls 100W from the wall when doing prime95 and I don't know if that's normal either

I tried setting the ram speed to 3200 rather than 3000 and it didn't boot then, and geekbench reads cpu speed as 4ghz so there's definitely something going on

Tried, doesn't boot.

So it's not that. The temps seem normal too idk.

I miss FX.
I had my FX-6350 running at 5GHz for 4 years without problems.

Yeah, but even at 5ghz they kinda sucked.

A stock 1600 will still blow that out the water though.

Ryzen is also great because you can usually get 3.8 on the stock cooler with minimal issues. No point getting a nice cooler when it'll only push you .2ghz further.

Alright something is DEFINITELY wrong

How do I stop my supposedly 4ghz processor from running at 1.6ghz?

Its likely overheating and downclocking itself to prevent damage.
Stop looking at the clock speed and look at your temps.

Turn off Cool n Quiet in the BIOS. It's a known bug.

Why would a stock 1600 be better?

update bios

It isn't. There's a bug which causes Ryzen chips to lock at a low frequency when setting manual voltages past a certain point. It can be avoided by either turning off CnQ, or by using an offset voltage instead. Nobody seems to know quite what causes it, and not all chips seem to suffer from it, but all boards can, from the cheapest B350s to the Crosshair VI. Though it's a bigger issue on MSI boards, since they don't allow offset voltages.

use hardware monitor or update cpu-z, or check using task manager or ryzen master

Yep, looks like that's that issue. I have an MSI board.

Might have to return it since cool and quiet is necessary for me otherwise.

MSI's BIOS is kind of a train wreck. They don't support offset voltages OR pstate overclocking, and suffer from an additional bug involving setting RAM timings tightly causing a similar clock locking bug. They have no plans to implement the first two things either, despite every other manufacturer having done so and tons of people asking them about it. They just ban anyone who criticises their BIOS on the official forums.

How the hell are you getting 3.8 on stock? I can't go past 3.6 on open case.

>since they don't allow offset voltages
They do, at least b350 pc mate allows it
>CnQ
I turned it off as soon as I've got into bios, maybe that's why I didn't encounter this problem

Post a screenshot of your BIOS with offset voltage then. As far as I know, no MSI B350 or X370 boards support it, and there are plenty of complaints about them not doing so on the MSI forums.

>that vertical

I have the same CPU and have no problems. Even new games run at 1080p at 60FPS at Ultra/High settings. This is a almost 7 year old CPU mind you.

>CnQ
Anybody even uses that shit?
I mean, non-normies.

How is this even a issue, you never use that shit anyways if you want to overclock.

Yeah, of course. Why wouldn't you? Who actually WANTS higher idle clocks and voltage? It has zero effect on overclock stability or performance. Or at least it wouldn't do if Ryzen's worked properly. I had my 1090T at 4GHz for years with CnQ enabled and lovely low voltage at idle. It's simply better.

1700 at 3.8/1.3 puts it in the fifties.

>Who actually WANTS higher idle clocks and voltage?
Are you poor or something?
Enjoy that 50ms shutter when jumping from low to high clocks.

>It has zero effect on overclock stability or performance.
Wrong.
Does not matter what brand your CPU is.

On stock cooler. Silicon lottery.

Yeah, that doesn't happen. I've used plenty of Intel and AMD CPUs and there is zero difference between having power saving on or off in performance terms. Enjoy your placebo.

OP here, so it wasn't related to temps or cool and quiet (it was disabled anyway) - just a bios bug that kicked in when the voltage was above 1.3V or something.

I updated the bios and successfully and set the voltage to 1.4V without autothrottling now. However it doesn't boot with 4GHz now lel. I'll see how far it goes, hoping for 3.8 at least

boots and does 3dmark fine with 3.8

whoa wow

so what's your previous BIOS version before you updated it?

3dmark 11 score with:

3.2 (1.2V)- 19888
3.6 (1.4V) - 20005
3.8 (1.4V) - 20609
3.9 (1.4V) - 19824

temps seem to have stayed around 55 degrees so idk if it was throttling? Do I revert to 3.8?

Didn't take a note, sorry but it was from april if I remember correctly, fairly outdated

did it again and now it's 20750

lel