Intel Partners With Amd

Intel to Create new 8th Generation CPUs with AMD Radeon Graphics with HBM2

anandtech.com/show/12003/intel-to-create-new-8th-generation-cpus-with-amd-radeon-graphics-with-hbm2-using-emib

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gaHs_guCp2o
newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/
browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/811174
x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#index6h2
en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/cores/kaby_lake_h
hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Reserving a top comment to edit later in what is sure to be a hot thread.

Hory fuck!

doesnt this basically mean the new ryzen apus are pointless?

Op here, intel partners with AMD to btfo nvidia.
These are supposed to be much more powerful gpu than gpu coming in ryzen ships.

>An AMD spokesman said that laptops built on Intel’s new chip won’t compete directly with those based on AMD’s coming Ryzen Mobile, another power-efficient chip that combines general-purpose processing and graphics. The Intel chip will appeal to serious gamers, he said. The AMD unit, which the company expects to ship by the end of the year, is capable of running games, but not specialized for that purpose.

I see what you did there.

This is no APU, it's a substitute for usual CPU + dGPU setup.

This is how it's going to look, it has a dedicated gpu and cpu in a huge ass chip

This is going to be around the 50-70W range.
Ryzen APUs are 11-20W

wtf I hate intel now

These are Apple exclusive deals. Su specifically said they won't enable competition against themselves with their own IP.

no, since IF may be faster than intel's solution EMIB, and mobile Ryzen is on one die, while this is different dies on one package ("glued together chips").

This has been long in the making, this might actually be Polaris instead of Vega

It's GFX8, so not Vega

But it's custom, so expect upgraded I/O and decoding.

>‘Look for more to come in the first quarter of 2018, including systems from major OEMs based on this exciting new technology.’

So we will get systems at CES
These products are going to be intel H series, Which are currently 45w cpu. (All macs use this).
Intel is going to use it's EMIB tech to make these. Which Makes processor design to become like a large game of lego. Using this they are gonna connect Vega Gpu and Intel Cpu.

Vega gpu apparently has amazing efficiency at lower power which makes these great. And these Gpus are specifically made for intel.

>These are Apple exclusive

Fuck. Source?

It's GFX8.1?
Ohwew.
Intel is getting scraps from the table called AMD.

He's full of shit.

There's gonna be laptops at CES.

If Intel waited for Vega this would be out in 2019 or late 2018

No, Vega had an extremely long gestation period, and for a reason.

>Vega is commercially available
>Intel would have to wait for a Vega design

??????

Here is intel's official video about EMIB which gives someinfo about how is this going to happen
youtube.com/watch?v=gaHs_guCp2o
And here is the news from Intel's website: newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

And pic added is how emib will help the chip.

My guess is this will provide a performance of GTX 1060 which is more than enough for most of the normal use. But considering the 4k future its not much future proof. but still would result in price savings for us consumers.

>price savings
It's backwards, it's a premium SKU.
Heck it only exists because AMD itself has literally no time to serve such niche markets.

This was talked about almost 11 months ago, this is not using Vega and sisoft and geekbench sysinfo shows it's gfx804

Platform Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Platform Name AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Device Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device Name gfx804
Board Name 694C:C0
Compute Units 24
Maximum Frequency 1.00 GHz
Device Memory 4.00 GB

browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/811174

Boy someone is actually competent enough to understand AMD GPU codenames on Sup Forums.

Bro, this is the sku that all the non ultrabook laptops use. dell xps 15, macbook pro etc. shit ton of people buy these products.
Maybe but anything can change as the intel chip is going to come with new architecture and nm, they might even upgrade to vega design.

Well I misinterpereted Su's intent. An AMD spokesman said this beyond stupid wsj paywall

>An AMD spokesman said that laptops built on Intel’s new chip won’t compete directly with those based on AMD’s coming Ryzen Mobile, another power-efficient chip that combines general-purpose processing and graphics. The Intel chip will appeal to serious gamers, he said. The AMD unit, which the company expects to ship by the end of the year, is capable of running games, but not specialized for that purpose.

Apparently AMD doesn't see gaymen laptops as an area in their competition.

>Maybe but anything can change as the intel chip is going to come with new architecture and nm, they might even upgrade to vega design.

That's not how this shit works if it's coming out in Q1 2018, Vega if this partnership continues will be in for a 2019 part.

AMD is smart to not give Intel their newest IP, if this gets Vega AMD will have Navi for their next APU

I think you need to go back to your favourite phone thread.

>Apparently AMD doesn't see gaymen laptops as an area in their competition.

It does but AMD would need resources and most importantly time to launch a 40W+ mobile chip, they don't have one.

it is vega but a custom one

amd's custom soc is always using the latest iteration of its gpu
and its the only thing that makes sense anyway since anything else isnt really future proof

Ryzen is all about high-efficiency at low energy costs. This monster is gong to eat more energy than current i7 laptop variants.

Nobody cares about power consumption on a desktop if it's not over like 150W.

>Other IP 22nm
Hardware backdoor getting bigger and bigger.

>it is vega but a custom one

If it's GFX8 it's NOT FUCKING VEGA you dumb flea.

GFX8 TONGA, ICELAND/TOPAZ, CARRIZO, FIJI, STONEY, POLARIS10, POLARIS11, POLARIS12 5 12 4.x 16384 16384 GCN

x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#index6h2

It's custom as in GFX8 with updated I/O and fixed function units, and obviously EMIB friendly.

CAN YOU
READ
THE
FUCKING
CODENAME?
Vega is GFX900.

>desktop

Are you literally retarded.

GLUED TOGETHER?

>no, since IF may be faster than intel's solution EMIB
EMIB is literally a physical point-to-point interconnect across a bridge built into the silicon.
Raven Ridge itself relies on IF as the interconnect. Higher level logic. With no built-in HBM.

It's about laptops, retard. This is (you)

Ahcktually

To my knowledge those two code names are the same thing

Goddamit you should attempt suicide.

Gonna be great for low profile gaming machines

GFX8 = GRAPHIC GENERATION 8 = POLARIS
GFX9 = GRAPHIC GENERATION 9 = VEGA

Now kill yourself.
Intel isn't getting Vega

I mean, you're probably right, but posting a prototype from months ago isn't all the convincing

WHAT PROTOTYPE?
THE SILICONE THAT PASSED THE TAPEOUT?

AMD NO!

>months ago
ES samples show up anywhere from half a year to few months before release, the only difference between that and what you'll see in Q1 is different clockspeeds.

It's a custom chip, if Intel scrapped it for a custom Vega this would be releasing in Q4 2018

If the memory controller supports HBM2 like they said in press release, it's a custom mixing matching parts from Vega and Polaris at the very least

Custom implies that, consoles are custom too and they have different memory controllers, but they're still Polaris, aka gfx8

newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

just wow.

gfx8 is also in fiji and tonga not especially polaris. Maybe they also backported new features from gfx9 to gfx8.4, these internal numbering don't say much atm.

I DONT WANT THINNER I WANT BETTER

Is this denial?

Yeah, but the geekbench also says it's 4 cores cpu, but intel's next gen is going to have 6 cores. similarly the gpu will also most likely be vega. they are saying it's vega all over reddit

They could backport stuff like fp16,, but I don't expect them to backport the important stuff like primitive discard because AMD can't even get them working on their discrete GPU

Intel beaten the f-
AMD beaten the f-

Who am I supposed to be shitting on now?

Of course it's 4 cores, it's Kabylake-H

en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/cores/kaby_lake_h

NVIDIA

Can't wait to DELID DIS.

Im saying the next gen will be 8nm and 6 core processor.

Mobile chips don't come with IHS

Goddmit you're so clueless it hurts.

Please shut the fuck up you fucking illiterate normalshit, go read up before discharging the filth in your fingers on your keyboard and posting here like you're straight outta gizmodo forums

You don't have a damn clue.
This discussion is over, get back to Sup Forums.

That guy was saying intel is using polaris in that geekbench so its gonna be final.
Im saying that intel was also using a 4 core kablylake chip but next gen intel chips are going to be 6 core for laptops too. So just like the cpu upgrade they might also release it with vega

DEGLUE THIS !

Ill just take a screenshot and post a thread when in jan when intel launches it and announces it as vega

>The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

FROM INTEL ITSELF
IN THE PRESS RELEASE

KABYLAKE-H = 4 CORES
CHANGING JUST THE GPU ALONE WOULD PUT THIS CHIP LATE IN 2018 AT BEST, MUCH LESS BOTH

Stop arguing with the normalfaggot.

no, but it does make nyidias mobile GPUs pointless.

depending on the design envelope and target price you might be right. i doubt the majority of design is going to adopt this, but then again ive been wrong before, so...

>Intel housefire CPUs now with AMD housefire GPUs within a mobile package
Can't wait

Me too, I've already prepared my 1.7% bucket.
2 wafers 1 die is truly the Nvidia's way.

so amd pretty much gave up and is letting intel make their chips now?

It's backwards; Intel has given up and asked AMD for semi-custom design.

vega is really efficient if you aren't trying to squeeze every hertz out of it just for the sake competing with 1070

It's efficient at any point.
4k ALU designs like Vega10 are inherently powerhungry.

so,
amd will have drivers now?

Intel just assumed they are a failure in the graphics department.

No, the GPU in this design is Polaris-based, unrelated to Vega.

but intel's the only one who makes decent open source drivers for linux

too bad

I wonder where they will be fabbing the radeon chips

I keep forgetting about all those high-end AMD notebook GPUs.

it's a win-win for everyone - intel may save die space by omitting an integrated GPU (or using only a very basic one) thus increasing their yields, AMD can sell discrete mobile GPUs, the notebooks will need less space for the motherboard, thus allowing lighter notebooks or a bigger battery etc.

AMD doesnt have a poowerfull APU in this generation, a couple years back APU was a viable cheap gaming system.

Their current APUs all are very weak on graphics, I called it that they wasted their opportunity to make a bestseller cheap console-killer PC apu for 1080p gaming.

Intel saw this opportunity too.

I keep forgetting about all those high-end Intel GPUs.

Polaris already has good drivers.

A company that makes console SoCs will never make console killer, simple as that.

It will be a great Dota/CS:go and other lightweight gaming machine pretty much the console killer.

AMD were stupid to not do it themselves.

THEY JUST DID YOU DONUT

And if AMD refused Intel would go and ask Nvidia for their 1050ti chips.
Demand creates supply, if you go like "nah we're not doing this" somebody will steal your job.

And not a SoC you moron, it's CPU + dGPU in one package, absolutely no difference between it and MXM shit besides footprint.

so kyle bennett was right after all

hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility

You do understand that nVidia does not operate a semi-custom unit?