I have decided to learn programming by learning C first. In pic related it says in the Introduction

I have decided to learn programming by learning C first. In pic related it says in the Introduction
>The tutorial does assume a working knowledge of programming

Which book(s) can teach me the fundamental of programming?

sicp

>he fell for Sup Forums memes
If you have no prior programming knowledge maybe you should start with something easier and don't listen to the C fundamentalists on Sup Forums.

Thanks.

I am not opposed to learning other languages. I just keep hearing that C teaches good programming practices and if you know C it is very easy to learn any other language.

>C teaches good programming practices

I can't help you, but I'm assuming that the book teaches mostly syntax, and not how to functionally write code(not using shit variable names and what not). You will learn c with this book, but you won't learn how to write readable shit, it's best to use another c beginner book if you want to learn c, since this book implies that the reader comes from another language like Fortran.

Just know who you are competing with...

I would personally recommend you to get "Programming in C, by Kocchan", instead of that one. Don't get me wrong, that book you mentioned is an absolute must read, but it is not a good introduction to C. If you want, after you finish Kochan's book, you can dive in the one you mentioned. It will be a bit more feasable, that way.

Start with Python or something. Go on codecademy.

I downloaded the book. It seems to have a decent introduction and lots of explanations of concepts. Thanks.

I tried those. I've tried the EdX MIT python programming course, as well. I just learn better on my own with a book.

these dubs don't lie

It does teach good practices.
If you can write error free c then you can write error free anything.

It allows you to completely fuck over your program as well.

Learning C is like installing Gentoo. Once you install Gentoo, you can probably figure out what problem you're having with your computer in the first place.

Learn C, and you can learn to program in anything.

>codecademy
>python

Fucking stop memeing this. Codecademy is absolute garbage and python sucks for a first language.

meant for

OP, its a great way to start with C, one of the best in fact. it teaches things all good programmers need to know such as memory management, things other languages do not teach. If after having a bit of experience you read SICP you will have a solid base for whatever you need to do programming-wise.

>tfw webdev teacher told us to complete codecademy HTML course in the first class

le epic

>I am not opposed to learning other languages. I just keep hearing that C teaches good programming practices and if you know C it is very easy to learn any other language.

That is right, i am glad that my first language was C

bump

I've been practicing Python and Java for almost two years now and am really interested in learning how things work behind the curtains. I'm thinking about buying that book and reading it occasionally, just to become a better programmer and learn some interesting concepts. Is this a good reason to get it?

>Programming in C, by Kocchan

Finally packaged it. Grab it :^)

C is rather easy. Not much to learn. C++ on the other hand...

I learned C and x86 asm. Knowing that didn't help me with learning Python much. Syntax is similar to JS, but if anything, learning C made learning Python and JS more confusing to me ;)

I think that a good programmer must know C, because it's a middle level language, teaches you some basics, and you can write C snippets in some cases to optimize, say, Python programs.

yeah but anyone got any starting points on how to write something actually usable in C? I've tried googling but all that does is teach hello world a million times and how to arrange things in a triangle... ;-;

Modern C by Jens Gustedts is the C book you should read! you could learn with K&R aswell, but it depends if youd take the time to learn what changed

>I just keep hearing that C teaches good programming practices and if you know C it is very easy to learn any other language.
That might be true, but K&R doesn't even teach good C practices.

i mean... you can just go to the freebsd source code tree and find tons of usable programs
programming != googling, if you wanna learn something, practice it

?

This is pretty much an entry level programming book m8

Why don't these languages just publish a list of possible commands and what they do? Like with html you know that read me does some html code.

Why do all these languages meme it up and say all this other bullshit? Just tell me what the commands are and what they do, and a little bit about how shit functions together. That is it. Nobody should have to scour tons of books to find a bit of information.

If I wanted to tell you the alphabet I wouldn't spend 100 pages telling you about A and how it is used or sounds. I'd give you the letters, pronounciation, and some basic shit. Just give me the "alphabet" of the language or fuck off. I'm not here to read hundreds of pages of you jerking off over being able to put a series of characters together and not giving me all the building blocks. You fucking cunts.

(You)

yeah, you're the user from the last thread with your .ppm tricks
explain them

open the api faggot

nand2tetris