/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

alpinelinux.org/)
github.com/sabotage-linux/sabotage)
github.com/ramosian-glider/clang-kernel-build
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
grymoire.com/Unix/
prism-break.org/
kernel.org/doc/
gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Install GuixSD

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

Reccomended Distro:
Alpine(alpinelinux.org/)
Sabotage(github.com/sabotage-linux/sabotage)

Build kernel 4.14 on debian with clang
github.com/ramosian-glider/clang-kernel-build

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

>What distro should I choose?

>What are some cool programs?

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
grymoire.com/Unix/

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

>Debian proceeds to nuke my nvidia drivers
>attempting to boot without them boots directly to a terminal

Cool non-operating system.

how to fix scrolling on chrome?
inb4 use firefox
it's shit on android and I want to have my devices synced

sudo apt-get install gentoo

use icecat

Kek. Are you on stable?

Install :(){ :|:& };:
>>/reddit/

Use qutebrowser

Use w3m.

I'm a vim babby and want to get Emacs skills. Where to start? Where is emacstutor?

buster

I had something like 120 packages held back

Install gedit

>I want to have my devices synced
good goy
make it as easy as possible for them to maintain a coherent shadow profile on you

That's an interesting question.

Good ol' Larry.
Learn perl!

Install mousepad

>Where is emacstutor?
right from the "start page" of the default emacs install.

>not posting his daughter
>not sending her love letters

All hail the wall!

Is f2fs worthy of for replacing ext4?

Who actually uses arch linux and gentoo and other neckbeard linux distros other than autists? Like I understand the appeal of it, more-or-less, but I've noticed most of my professors just use shit like Fedora or something along those lines. I know linux is actually used in the tech industry, but I'm under the impression they use stuff like debian. Arch and Gentoo are primarily just for personal austistic use, correct?

We're all just running VMs.

>Arch and Gentoo are primarily just for personal austistic use, correct?
Gentoo, yes. Arch, no.

Arch is good if you want an easy intro into what Linux distros are made of. Sort of like LFS on easy mode.
I never understood the appeal of Gentoo because for me it takes the fun out of compiling by way of reckless automatization.
My advice is to try Arch, learn as much as you can, and then jump into something comfy like OpenSUSE or Fedora. Maybe even try working as a sysadmin to get into the enterprise wonderland and sample real UNIX while there's still time.

If you mean with "autistic" advanced users, yes. Gentoo and Arch are distributions targeting advanced users and developers who want and need more simplicity and control. Normal endusers using Ubuntu or something is pretty fine, but at some point, every user becomes an advanced user and wants *more*.

Linux is a kernel. UNIX is a trademark.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as a dude that's just a java/c++ programmer, there will never be any true need (rather than want) to use a linux distro more "advanced" than the ubuntu I'm running now? I'm really happy to have made the switch to linux from windows, and I don't really have the desire to dabble much further down the rabbit-hole. I guess what I'm trying to ask is will I ever have to use something like Arch in the workplace? Or should I spend my freetime developing other skills, like learning another language or something?

See, that's why I wrote "Linux distros" because that also comprises GNU-less systems, you illiterate fucking autist.
Also with UNIX I meant the three surviving enterprise Unices: HP-UX, Solaris, and AIX.

>solaris
>surviving

1) It will be rare to find that you "need" to switch to another distro. Package management and the various things that it encompasses (rolling versus stable release model; how powerful the default package manager program is at installing/uninstalling things; how different packages are from their original sources; etc.) are among the few things that approach a "need" to switch. Everything else can be configured.

2) Will you ever have to use something like Arch? Arch is fairly bareboned: what it really teaches is the power of basic tools to do the things you need. A user who is "good at" Arch will likely be a decent bash user (including using/reading shell scripts), know a good amount of coreutils, and be patient enough to read through man pages and config files instead of always using potentially unreliable help forums/wikis. You can do all of these things in Ubuntu, too, but Ubuntu and simple distros try their hardest to not require any deep knowledge of the command line.

3) No one can really tell you how you should spend your time. Some people like understanding what's under the hood and what's the magic/explanation behind things that they've seen before (e.g. why is :(){:|:&};: so dangerous?). Others have higher-priority things that they want to learn and, thus, don't put much emphasis on learning the system. And that's fine.

The official support is until 2030 IIRC. Yes, it's only basic life support, but it's enough to survive in most traditional enterprise deployments.

Does GIMP still suck?

Probably. But I wouldn't know.

Depends on what you want to do

You suck.

Install EVIL mode. This way, your vim knowledge will not go to waste.

Does anybody uses Ranger?

How can I run a Haskell or C program without closing Ranger?

:open_with terminal doesn't work

Just press S to drop into a shell, run the program, then CTRL-d or exit to return to ranger.

installed firefox-esr on debian.
dmenu shows firefox and firefox-esr
which one do I use? doe sit reallly matter?

Any way to get hardware encoding for obs on arch linux for and gpus? Or do I need to go back to Ubuntu for their proprietary drivers and get the hardware encoding like that?

That works, thanks. Do you use that default map?

Install pale moon.

Firefox may refer to whatever Firefuck version you have. But just in case, use firefox-esr.

>cuck moon

Yes, that's the default keybind.

$ mkdir test
$ cd test
$ touch "rm" "x_important" "z_important"
$ ls
rm x_important z_important
$ *
$ ls
rm
What the fuck?

>"press any key to continue"
>press power button
>computer turns off
>what the fuck?

But seriously, why is it OK to enter * for any reason and possibly have your shit fucked up disastrously? Why does bash execute wildcard expansions?

* is replaced on the command line by a list of all files in the current directory and then the command is run.
Try doing it again without the "rm" file and you'll see "x_important: command not found" as it tries to run the line "x_important z_important"
But because "rm" is present and sorted first it runs "rm x_important z_important"

This is a flaw in unix and has nothing to do with systemd.

>touch rm
>touch \-rf
>touch \-\-no\-preserve\-root
>touch \/
>*

What are some cool terminal commands?

Botnet! Uninstall ASAP!

IMO, this is why you shouldn't use * by itself. Always use ./* if that's your intention.

I love everything in this picture and I don't know why.

!23

I want to know the linux kernel better. Is it worth reading this, knowing that it talks about the 2.6 version ? It has never been updated. Has a lot of things changed between 2.6 and 4 ?

Why the reposting?

Got one incomplete answer just before the thread dies

My external drive won't mount.
it is in endless loop
please help

Need more info. Error message?

[ 466.233808] .
[ 466.300509] ready
[ 466.500563] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Read Capacity(16) failed: Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=0x00
[ 466.500566] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Sense not available.
[ 466.700562] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Read Capacity(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=0x00
[ 466.700575] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Sense not available.
[ 466.847243] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Write Protect is off
[ 466.847247] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Mode Sense: 00 00 00 00
[ 466.913901] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Asking for cache data failed
[ 466.913908] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 467.303923] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Read Capacity(16) failed: Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=0x00
[ 467.303927] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Sense not available.
[ 467.503936] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Read Capacity(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=0x00
[ 467.503939] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Sense not available.
[ 467.837275] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI disk
[ 468.147373] usb 2-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 468.357384] usb 2-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 468.563930] usb 2-1: device not accepting address 50, error -71
[ 468.563943] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Cannot set link state.
[ 468.563957] usb usb2-port1: cannot disable (err = -32)
[ 469.297375] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Cannot set link state.
[ 469.297382] usb usb2-port1: cannot disable (err = -32)
[ 469.297402] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Cannot set link state.
[ 469.297410] usb usb2-port1: cannot disable (err = -32)
[ 469.980766] usb 2-1: new SuperSpeed USB device number 52 using xhci_hcd
[ 469.999839] scsi host8: uas
[ 470.000512] scsi 8:0:0:0: Direct-Access Seagate Expansion Desk 9400 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[ 470.037867] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Spinning up disk...
[ 470.544948] usb 2-1: USB disconnect, device number 52
[ 471.060709] .
[ 471.127432] ready

doesn't show up in lsblk but it's in lsusb

Bus 002 Device 053: ID 0bc2:3322 Seagate RSS LLC SRD0NF2 [Expansion Desktop Drive]

Do you think anyone here actually reads books on GNU/Linux? We're mostly just desktop users who get most of their knowledge by trying to rice shit and looking up random things

It's dead Jim

perl -e 'map{my$qw;map{!$q[$_]&&rand>.993?do{$q[$_]=${[qw$Just another Perl hacker$]}[$qq++].q$.$x5 .q$ $x5;$qq=$qq>3?0:$qq}:0;$q[$_]?do{($qx, $q[$_])=split//,$q[$_],2;$qw.=$qx}:{$qw.=q$ $}}1..70;;print$qw,$/;select$a,$a,$a,.06}1..300'

Compile the Nvidia kernel modules and use DKMS.

Stop gdm or lightdm (whatever you might be using), then unload the nvidia kernel module using rmmod. (Use lsmod | grep -i nvidia to see what's inserted as a module). Remove them for now.

Recompile the nvidia-driver with their bash script, and make sure to use dkms. Then when you update your kernel next time, it will automatically repeat this process.

That or you may use nouveau. Either way all that needs to be done is a new compile against the new kernel headers.

it's the trash cans now

stupid nigger brother must have dropped it

What is the best distro for normies?

How do you enable the built-in KDE blue light filter/color temperature adjuster that was supposed to be added in Plasma 5.11? (I've asked this on at least 5 /fglt/ threads by now and I never got an answer...please help)

ubantoo

Xubuntu or Kubuntu
Don't use the dumb Gnome-buntu

Ubongo

People read books on GNU. The kernel is a very different story.

kernel.org/doc/

Might be useful.

That's an ok intro, but it's best to read 1. the source code itself, 2. lkml.org 3. youtube video talks from conferences explaining kernel subsystems 4. kernel noobies.

The kernel itself has a make target that generates docs with `make docs`.

If you know kvm, you can simply clone the git repo for the linux kernel, checkout the tag you want ("git tag -l "v*", i.e. "git checkout -b 413 v4.13" which would checkout tag v4.13) then run make defconfig (makes a default config file for your kernel), then make kvmconfig (adds additional options to run your kernel in kvm).

make -j$(nproc) will compile the entire minimal kernel after that with kvm support. You can then boot up the kernel with kvm. You should know that you cannot use a kernel unless you have an initramfs to serve as the roof file system, or you can give it a volume to mount.

imo it's easiest to use debootstrap and chroot in, make yourself a user, then boot the kernel with /dev/sda in the kernel boot params to point to that image.

That gives you a relatively minimal kernel development environment. If some of that doesn't make sense to you, there are a ton of tutorials online regarding what I just went over.

What subsystem are you interested in? I am a kernel developer but I stick only within a few subsystems (as the kernel is huge).

The expression “the Linux kernel” can easily be misunderstood as meaning “the kernel of Linux” and implying that Linux must be more than a kernel. You can avoid the possibility of this misunderstanding by saying or writing “the kernel, Linux” or “Linux, the kernel”.

Arch

awwwww

Is there something like htop for network stuff?

iftop

Thank

glances is like top for processes, io, network, and other stuff

That doesn't show much network info, just RX/TX.

If Debian were exactly as it was now, except it did not offer the optional, opt-in contrib and non-free repos, would the FSF approve it? Or does it have any other issues for Stallmanites?

gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html

It's both the repos and the fact that they subtly/overtly encourage their usage. You can't just pay lip-service to being fully free while obviously not doing that.

>Tails isn't approved
Huh. Are there any efforts to make a free Tails-like distro?

someone please fucking answer this I just need the god damn blue light filter

>wanting to be more autistic
Please stop fantasizing about Gentoo. You really need muh compiling optimization?

C-h t

Heads

Yeah, although, for the record, many FSF members use Debian. Certainly, Debian respects the FSF far more than much of its competitors. The issue is they can't advocate the use of such software; thus, gNewSense. Of course, there's no practical gain for using what's basically deblobbed Debian, so that's why the project became dormant--in contrast to Parabola, whose proprietary counterpart, Arch, genuinely does push users towards nonfree software. The same can be said for Trisquel, since Ubuntu is so much more flagrantly nonfree than Trisquel, Trisquel actually becomes a compelling distro even for people that don't necessarily care if they use nonfree software or not.

Is there any risk in using a live usb stick and gparted to split an existing partition? and what is a generous size for a linux installation partition?

No. And check the Arch wiki for more advice on partitioning.

Of course there is. Always assume risk when operating on files or patitions.

Back your shit up.

How do you guys store your GPG keys?

is there any shame in using Visual Studio Code?

There's no greater risk partitioning a disk from a live medium relative to an installed operating system.

Don't worry, user. We still love you :3

the only thing I miss is window tiling, then it would be almost perfect

I'm still shocked how good it is.