/wt/

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=gK-5s5jAg0c

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_562
youtube.com/watch?v=I1L15xehfEA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

picked up this +21spd bad boy for $13 on ebay. Howd i do?

Just here to complain about the lack of a backlight in the CA53W

No it's fine where it is.

JUST HERE TO INFORM THAT VINTAGE WATCHES ARE BEST

Just pulled the trigger. How did I do lads?

very nice, love the presage me

Nice timex homage

8 stars to remind you of the 8 times that Omega was the greatest watchmaker in the world.

I generally agree with this.

Can /wt/ redpill me on the urban gentry channel?

I'm with you.

>8 stars to remind you of the 8 times that Omega was the greatest watchmaker in the world.
If only Seiko had succeeded in purchasing them, you'd have a modern Omega that was a direct development of the great watchmaker of the late 1960s and early 1970s instead of it's skin stretched hauntingly over a shambling Frankenstein of Chinese outsourcing, retarded movement design, and marketing driven pleb catching.

On the road to even more overly slick corporate shilling.

Shills loads of products that pay him and has been a massive douche to other nicer watch channels. He has fake taste and refuses to ever criticize anything. He also has an annoying as fuck cult of personality around him

The Ice Blue looks better but this is pretty good too.

When it comes to buying an vintage Omega what years are the cut off for quality decline?

Sad isn't it

Keep trying to hide it.

> Rolex?
> OMEGA SEIKOSHA

fatty fat fat

sell that shit and spend it on a gym and caffeine/ephedra stack brah

hello friends
I have been posting the same picture of this watch for 4 years now
maybe I should take a new one

get a new watch

why would I get a new watch when I already have the best watch?
I bought a white neptune SE like a year ago but it doesn’t get worn much, I’d sell it but watchucuck made some new post limit to sell watches and seeing as I’m not an autistic 60 year old I never post

It would've been a neat timeline, probably better than Swatch for sure. I don't know how the market would've reacted to Omega no longer being Swiss, though. Maybe Seikomega wouldn't have lasted long or maybe Seiko would have had to drastically change the focus of the brand.

I think the 60s was the peak. 50s is just too damn old and you have some real dinosaur movements like the bumpers which are a neat design but very outdated and probably hard to service. 70s and on was a slow painful decline from greatness as nice designs got replaced with really cheesy ugly stuff and the great movements were phased out. By the 80s Omega was really circling the drain as they continued merging with other Swiss companies as investors were getting tired of repeatedly bailing out the watch industry. And then of course soon after that Swatch happened and all decency went out the window in favor of awful plastic shitters.

bahahahahaha, Omega on Rolex tier? You high?

>When it comes to buying an vintage Omega what years are the cut off for quality decline?

It's generally easier to go by movement than years. For non-chronographs the watches with the 56x/75x/61x family of movements represented the apex of Omega's watchmaking in the pre-quartz era. This site has a good list of all the versions of this movement that were produced:

ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_562

Keep in mind that the chronometer certified versions received a lot more adjustment and regulation at the factory and are likely to remain capable of significantly better accuracy today and so those models justifiably command a premium on the vintage market compared to the other variants.

For Chronographs there are two answers: If your primary interest is in the horological history fame, then the 321 based chronographs are the ones you want. If you want one of the absolute greatest tool watch chronographs ever designed then its the Caliber 1045 models you want (also known as the Lemania 5100). Keep in mind that vintage chronographs are NOT wallet friendly and should be expected to require reaching into your pocket to have them serviced over the years.

Seiko would 100% have kept Omega in Switzerland, but I'm not sure if that distinction would have mattered given the biases of the time. They also would not have squandered one of the greatest production movement design and manufacturing departs of all time by firing them all and replacing their work with generic Seiko movements!

The real issue is whether such an Omega could have remained economically viable long enough through the quartz revolution to emerge into the 1990s with all its prior institutional knowledge and with ownership that respected who Omega was.

What exact model is that, I googled Hamilton Thin omatic and found nothing that looks like this watch. I'm curious about it.

70s was a definite decline in design but not in movements I would say.

Here's a photo of a bumper movement too since they're kind of neat. It's a primitive type of automatic winding movement, the pendulum can only swing for part of a rotation before it bumps up against springs which stop it.

Rolex usually gets credit for inventing the modern design with the rotor mounted on top of the movement which can spin a full 360 degrees freely. They patented it as "Perpetual" winding around the 1930s but eventually it became standard across all watchmakers.

it’s a very rare reference microrotor model from the 60’s, i’ve had a hard time tracking anything down on it myself. i managed to find one like it on eBay once, it was broken and selling for like 400 bucks lmao

>70s was a definite decline in design but not in movements I would say.
I always forget to mention the tuning fork movements they produced in the 1970s because they aren't my area of interest, but that is a good point. Omega also continued to make excellent mechanical chronographs well into the late 1970s.

oh yeah here’s the movement

Their quartz stuff was also cutting edge.

>Their quartz stuff was also cutting edge.
Another area that isn't my bag so I don't know much about it. Thankfully you're here to fill in on those topics since they are areas that interest you.

Anyone have the 120 Amphibia case?

Seiko brought in quartz at the top of their product line and slowly phased out mechanical movements as the bottom fell out on the cost of quartz movements. Once quartz became cheaper than even the lowest mechanical Seiko 5s I don't think they gave much of a shit about mechanical movements at all anymore. They only brought them back after the Swiss made mechanical movements cool again. I'm not sure how much Seiko would have cared to keep Omega's mechanical movements over their quartz and maybe tuning fork movements.

I don't think Seiko really expected people to get muh feels over mechanical watches so much that they would end up coming back and almost totally displacing quartz at the high end decades after becoming obsolete. As much as we shit on Nicolas Hayek and friends, they did some masterful fucking marketing to manage to convince everyone to this day that quartz is cheap and uncool.

Omega produced what were I believe the first marine chronometer-certified wristwatches. They used a 2.4Mhz quartz movement (as opposed to the modern standard of 32KHz quartz). Modern 32KHz quartz is shaped like a tuning fork and is thermosensitive; changes in temperature affect the shape of the fork and change the rate. The 2.4MHz quartz crystal is shaped like a lens and is much less thermosensitive; as a result, high-frequency quartz doesn't need digital thermocompensation. 2.4MHz wasn't the highest frequency Omega made - they did make a prototype (I believe only 2 examples known to exist?) of a 4MHz movement, similar to the Citizen Crystron 4 Mega, but they abandoned the idea.

Omega really continued to push the envelope on timekeeping accuracy all the way into the early 80s when their high-accuracy quartz efforts started to wind down.

>they did some masterful fucking marketing to manage to convince everyone to this day that quartz is cheap and uncool.

true

I literally want a quartz rolex submariner

I see no reason for the watch to be mechanical. I want it to have the same heft and finishing quality as a mechanical but with the accuracy durability and low maintenance of a quartz, i see no reason for an $8500 watch to go dead in 50 hours if I set it on my nightstand

is it possible to mod a submariner to be quartz but with the rolex hands face and case?

>wears vintage watch
>claps
>breaks watch

Just throw a cal 5035 in there

>Everything about the design and construction of the 5035/5055 module shows that Rolex intended this movement to be a "lifetime" movement, designed to be serviceable and serviced just like their mechanical movements.
>In fact, apart from the electronics and the pulse motor, the "mechanics" of the 5035 are the same as the 3035 automatic movement that was also introduced in 1977 and used in the Submariner and other Date/Datejust models for over a decade.

I'm asking again, what is better, a quartz watch or an automatic watch? Why?

would that fit in a modern subby?

how much would the movement cost?

fuck that is cool.

Why aren't there more digital watches made of metal? Almost all are plastic.

after over 9000 hours of poring over every Hamilton catalog from the 60’s, I believe I’ve found it
googling the model still returns literally nothing though, they’re rare as shit

>I'm asking again, what is better, a quartz watch or an automatic watch? Why?

For time keeping a quartz watch is literally better in every mesurable way.

It's like asking if a 1968 camaro is better than a modern ford focus.

In every meaningful way the focus is a better car, the camaro is cooler though even though it does not have air conditioning, is unreliable, gets shitty mileage and rattles and squeeks and only has an AM one speaker radio

the fuck is that?

a solenoid?

Oysterquartzes go for about 3k. I wouldn't expect you to be able to get a movement much cheaper than that but can't say for certain. I have no idea if it would fit a modern sub case, but I would tend to imagine yes - case sizes have probably only really gotten larger since the 3035. Not an expert here though.

Yes. Basically all ticking quartz watches use solenoids/electromagnets to advance the hands; the oysterquartz just does so with a pallet fork and escape wheel. Basically the impulse jewel on the balance wheel is replaced with a little metal tab that gets pushed back and forth by electromagnets. Rolex wanted to engineer the oysterquartz to be just as bulletproof and serviceable as its standard 3035; the easiest way to do that is to make it mostly the same as a 3035.

>making a quartz submariner
goddamn I would love to see that, convincing watch people it’s not just a chinky fake would be a good time

Because it means you can make more on each watch.
The AE1200 does have a stainless steel case though as far as I know.

>goddamn I would love to see that, convincing watch people it’s not just a chinky fake would be a good time

I really want one

I don't care about convincing anyone of anything, I just want rolex finishing with a reliable accurate perpetual calendar movement

The hands most likely would not fit, that’s gonna be your first issue.

>Why aren't there more digital watches made of metal? Almost all are plastic.
Because there isn't enough of a market for metal cased LCD quartz watches with good quality steel bracelets. Your choices are either to go vintage or try to find and pay $200+ for a Seiko SBPG001 which is the GOAT LCD quartz.

>The AE1200 does have a stainless steel case though as far as I know.
It doesn't.

>that’s gonna be your first issue.
Hardly. His first issue would be justifiably being murdered for butchering an Oysterquartz to get the movement.

> perpetual calendar movement
oh. well forget oysterquartz then.

Cool, thanks for digging that up.

Git gud

>SBPG001
>I might check these out
>Okay nevermind
What the fuck?

Honest opinion Amphibia VS SKX. Want to hear thoughts and no memes. Both are rated to 200M.

>eBay
Japan yahoo auctions pal

should've gone for the SDGA001

buy my neptune pls

How much

Matrix powerwatch(pictures coming at end of month)

E-ink has too slow a refresh rate so you can't have running seconds and it doesn't have an electroluminescent backlight. I prefer the SBPG001.

Search Zenmarket for "Seiko s760" if you are interested.

150? I think I paid like $200 for it

youtube.com/watch?v=I1L15xehfEA

on the wrist shot?

sup /wt/

just copped this for 100 dollroos

how did I do?

my late pop's 70's 7025 automatic which i had recently serviced for around $45

Cringe 2bh. I guess it's an ok first watch.

got the box and errything

how is a seiko 5 cringe?

that's what you guys told me to buy

Watch is pretty good. Nice girly beads and armband though.

>Watch is pretty good. Nice girly beads and armband though.
hate the game, not the player

dude it's just one fag's opinion, it's a Seiko5, 100mWR, slightly better movement than 7S26- your good to go if you like it then that should be it. ps lose the beads /wt/ fucks here hates em.

oh hey i remember you. Nice watch. looks much better now!
Are you going to replace the crystal?

>Nice watch.

do you really think that?

thanks man! they sure cleaned it up good. I'm thinking about it though but so far only one UK seller on ebay has em and i'm broke now so we'll see. Sent it back to the shop though for a quick check cos last couple of days it was losing up to 3 minutes per day, the watchmaker says its normal for such an old watch. is it?

>losing up to 3 minutes per day, the watchmaker says its normal for such an old watch. is it?

um no not really, the movement might be shot and you might have to replace it

the guy says it was running perfectly before i picked it up and asked if i was 'wearing' it right kek, getting it working and cleaned up and wearing it occasionally is just a personal tribute to my late pops who didn't have much in life- i'm ok with it whatever comes. Finding it almost ten years after he passed and discovering it sorta worked intrigued me.

Daily reminder that Casio watches age beautifully kek

Someone was begging for one of these on WUS. Go find the thread on the subforum.

cop or not?

2 Questions:

1. what's the ideal size for a dress watch (I have 8" wrists because I'm 6'3" 220)

2. please point me in the direction of a vintage Omega (white dial, preferably no date). I need something that classes the shit out of watches.

this has been polished.

kek

kek

I like how kamp it is. If its under 20 bucks and not quartz go for it.

Is this haute horologie?

these are mine

Nice Prim bro, where did you cop it?
Also, get rid of that plastic watch and get a proper stainless steel sports watch and you are set.

r8 my seiko anons
i dont know if i should switch out the band or not

do like, don't change straps. pls don't wreck the watch with a tacky strap. ty