Contain your autism

Today I was interviewing potential employees for a junior developer position. One person stood out in particular.

>no official education beyond high school
>put down shit load of meme skills and in particular, academic languages such as prolog, lisp and haskell
>did 5 years of technical support at a call center
I assume the HR thought he was reliable for this reason alone.

>HR started asking him soft ball questions to make sure he was not going to spurg out if we applied any stress on him
>HR gave me the okay to start asking technical questions

Okay sir, if you have an array and you wish to shift over, to the right, every element in this array by 1 position how would you do it?
>give him a paper and ask him to write out his solution, I tell him he can write pseudo code if he wants and I don't care about syntax, so he can relax and take his time.
>15 minutes later he hands me back a one line fizz buzz
>"I know 90% of the people who apply don't know how to do that"

I give him one last chance and ask him why deleting from the back of a singly linked list is more expensive than deleting from the front of the list.
>"you mean like car and cdr? did you know I know lisp? did you know that lisp stands for list processing? I took a an online class from MIT, I will remember I just need to look at me notes"

I know you're here

ok

I hope he'll stop by itt

Will I get the job?

Was this intended to follow agenda motivated office humor promoted by U.S. television shows? Curiously inquiring because Dwight is such a riot! I hope he listens to NPR because that would constrict my testicles. Eating feces is a sex act.

LOL! He meme'd you right in the face xD

you're over qualified :^)

>this is the guy that fills up your spam folder

Office humor TV shows are for business administration skin changers. They watch the TV show to mimic the behavior later on when they get their ungratifying job that they wasted 4 years of their life studying for.

>using the smiley with a carat nose

whos worse, self taught meme languages or code skoolz

It varies from asshole to asshole. I really think you need to give these shit heads more credit user. It isn't whether they go to "code skoolz" or "self teach meme languages." It's something much deeper than that, something they choose themselves, a quality of their character which resonates in every decision big and small. Never underestimate the value that can be lost in ones personal character.

self taught.

>durr i'm a retard that cant pass classes, i'm going to spend 5 years learning 1 semester worth of content

>I give him one last chance and ask him why deleting from the back of a singly linked list is more expensive than deleting from the front of the list.
Linked lists are less relevant to actual development than fizzbuzz

Sounds more like meme bootcamps desu

Huh. That's strange. I've had to use linked lists a ton. We must do very different things.

Why waste money on something you can teach yourself to do for free? Einstein never went to college.

Most people are never going to be motivated to learn the same amount of material. Like 99% of people. Even the people that love coding hate themselves 4 weeks from finals because of the sheer amount of stuff they expect you to learn. Whether this is worth it, or translates into more success in the field is debatable, but it's not as simple as "hurr, just learn it yourself".

>if you have an array and you wish to shift over, to the right, every element in this array by 1 position how would you do it?
Then it becomes a vector. And whet would the first element be in that case?

>Even the people that love coding hate themselves 4 weeks from finals because of the sheer amount of stuff they expect you to learn.
i'm glad i'm not the only one, i thought i was fake because i didn't find it fun for a second

whet?

Is this seriously what gets asked at job interviews? This is highschool shit, why the fuck am I even attending uni?

to get your foot in the door

>Is this seriously what gets asked at job interviews?
Screening interviews, yes. Usually done over the phone. It is intended for candidates that list "5 years of technical support at a call center" (as stated in OP) as their only experience, but apply for a programming job.

for da piece of paper man

How much closer do these interviews get me to landing a job? Non-/biz/fag here.

>How much closer do these interviews get me to landing a job
In my personal experience, there's one or two technical interviews after a screening interview, and then there's one more interview where you just walk around and meet people and they try to figure out if you're a culture fit. Smaller companies usually just have a screening interview and then one technical+social interview.

Your experience may vary though.

Hm, this seemes thorough enough. For some reason I though the screening interview was like 90% of landing a job, but luckily I was wrong.
Thanks.

I spent two months on a whole curriculum and did even more than they assigned in the class. I read the best books versus a school where I would have my material designated by budget.
Shitty programmers are shitty programmers even if they arbitrarily teach themselves because they heard it would get them a job.

Cramming at the last minute for a course where the teacher has completely failed to impart what the actual course material is during the semester doesn't give you any lasting memory, or if your memory is perfect, fails to give you comprehension and knowledge of first principles. It's much more valuable to be willing and able to teach yourself as skills are needed in your career.

The last interview I did (4 years ago, for my previous job), I spent 70% of the interview explaining in detail how TCP congestion control works in the Linux kernel and what the differences between the algorithms are.

So yeah, the fizz buzz interview questions are just to filter out utterly hopeless people.

Good luck job hunting user.

guarantee it was the "employed haskell developer" from /dpt/

>Good luck job hunting user.
Thanks, but I'll be going for a mech engineering job soon enough, I just wondered how it worked in IT, as it's my only hobby. Quite frankly I think that I'd be able to land a job there even without (or with a mech eng.) diplomma, but I don't think that making myself hate my only passtime would be good for me.

What field are you looking at?

Mechatronics

Cool shit, man. Massive growth ahead there, too.

>Massive growth ahead
Giggity

Yeah, I just thought why not mix my hobby with my job, while not slaving away doing sys admin/programming stuff that would make me hate it? Also it sounds cool as fuck.
Peace be with you, user.

>I spent two months on a whole curriculum

I think it's cute. It's like a snowman.

whet?

>no degree stands out in tech career

I don't believe you. You sure don't work in the security industry. Oh, you must be a poo. Yeah, you guys get your diploma mill degrees and think it will fool people.

With the push towards automation, it's going to be in high demand. It's a good career choice.

I studied CAD/CAM with the intent of eventually becoming a Mech. Eng. and working on Mil/LE/Sporting equipment.

How does it work senpai?

You basically create a kernel module that creates a
struct tcp_congestion_ops;

instance and override a bunch of the functions with your own, and then you call
tcp_register_congestion_controll()

with a pointer to that struct.

Examples of functions you override are init, slow start threshold calculation (ssthresh), the congestion avoidance phase (cong_avoid), undoing congestion window for retransmissions (undo_cwnd), etc.

These functions are called by the TCP output engine in the kernel.

>working for a company

:~)

If I took seriously the amount of material they tried to cram into me during the undergrad, it would take me at least twice the time to graduate. And I would still forget 95% of what I learned. Our brains are just like that.
Picrel is a meme, but having a vague understanding of cs is actually a pretty darn good thing to have. Think about Pareto principle. Even if you won't know instantly how to do something you had done or read about on your 3rd year of college 15 years ago, you'll at least know where and what to look for and you'll be able to remember it and catch up to speed quickly.
I think it's one of the most important things collage education gives you, next to the ability to turn in results on schedule and a proper learning/working rigor.

>Massive growth ahead there, too.
I don't see it desu, at least not as much as in cs

>Einstein never went to college.
but he did
>i'm going to spend 5 years learning 1 semester worth of content
more like "I'm gonna spend a year applying a shitbook divided into 26 lessons for 5 years"

I stopped college because it was too slow and too theoretical (lol lisp lol fourier transforms lol prolog etc)

Are you the interviewed guy, brainlet?

That statue skipped leg day, apparently.
Also, his chest is tiny.
The way he's bending backwards is just asking for snap city.
He should be angling the nail differently, he's risking slipping.

>I will remember I just need to look at me notes
This is my greatest weakness. I always consult documentation for everything.

This is just a hyperbolic and hasty generalization on both the learner and the teacher's part.

Not everyone feels this way, not all courses are the same, and not everyone is motivated by job incentive here. Maybe you know someone who is like this or are yourself but that's not a good basis to form an opinion on "99% of people".

>but he did
He's probably one of those people who believes the meme that einstein had to repeat classes and he has been bad at math
>hint: he had a bumpy road, sure, but he was always great in math and generally a child prodigy and graduated at age 21

>lol fourier transforms
dude, dft is basic and pretty darn useful

>apply for programming job
>no technical questions
>tell me about your strengths
>what would you do if your boss did something that you didn't like
>tell me about yourself
>do you have any questions

I've had 6 interviews and they were all like this what the fuck.

>experience within same or similar field
>experience with same or similar technologies
>references from previous employment
With all these in place, there's no need for deep technical questions.

Yes, those are pretty much the first level. Out of those 6 applications, how many jobs did you get?

Is Information Security a good field? I feel like with all the diversity hires, $3/he Pajeets, and security guys who learned their shit in the 90s and apparently don't realize anything's changed, it will only get more important.

That's fine desu

>Picrel
And of course it had to not upload for some reason

You know the answers to those, right?

i can't give an answer to both of those questions
how am I suppose to figure it out? there was nothing about this in the books I read

Zero.

I looked at guides on how to answer those questions and I get good dialogue going with the interviewers, don't know what I'm doing wrong.

What were your answers?

>He doesn't know Big-O
>He can't fizzbuzz

the current state of Sup Forums

>Never underestimate the value that can be lost in ones personal character.
This dubs of truth describes Sup Forums.

>and pretty darn useful
for whom

For my strengths I say that I'm good at solving problems and give a couple of examples in some of the shit I have on github.

For the questions like what would you do if X is doing something you don't like/you think is wrong I answered that I would try to talk to them to convince them.

For the tell me about yourself, I say that I'm very good at computer stuff and that I do programming projects in my free time.

For the ask me questions I try to ask specific questions about the details of the job that the interviewer just told me about.

C++ noob, here.

>shift every value in the array over to the right
Two temporary variables, one to store the value of [i] and one to store the variable of [i - 1], a while loop that overwrites the value of the first temp variable with [i]'s value, then replace [i] with the second temp variable that is storing [i - 1] with an if statement that if [i - 1] < 0 to write 0 in [i]?

>why deleting from the back of a singly linked list is more expensive than deleting from the front of the list.
I'd like to know this.

For everything doing image, sound and other forms of data analysis, manipulation, compression and synthesis.

Actually, I guess I could just initialize the [i - 1] variable as 0 and then just write it, saving the if statement....

>He's probably one of those people who believes the meme that einstein had to repeat classes and he has been bad at math
Einstein mastered calculus at 15. It's an idiotic meme.

>I'd like to know this.
It's asymptotically more expensive, since you need to iterate to the end.

>40+ applications out
>2 rejections
>Can't even get an interview and idiots like this can

fml

Deleting the first element of a linked list is O(1)
Deleting the last element is O(N)

The meme started because he didn't LIKE school because it catered, and continues to cater, to retards. Everyone is forced to move at the speed of the slowest.

In Sec 4 (10th grade), there was a girl in my class who couldn't multiply fractions. We spent THREE FUCKING NINETY MINUTE CLASSES ON FRACTIONS IN TENTH GRADE TRYING TO GET HER TO MULTIPLY FRACTIONS! How the fuck did she get to 10th grade in the first place!?

Yeah, try not talking about programming so much if that's what you're applying for -- they won't hire you if they think you're literally a code monkey that spends his free time coding.
I can only give my own examples.
>strengths
Me, I'd mention being able to quickly learn new things and (obviously) solving problems. But instead of talking about programming languages or my github, I'd maybe talk about how I learned to play the guitar, how I switched from horns to drums on short notice for the orchestra I played in or how I did troubleshooting on my motorbike or guitar electrics. If you had a group assignment at uni that didn't go exactly as planned, maybe use that as an example instead.
The idea is to show them that you can apply your skills over a broad range of problems, i.e. you're able to see problems in an abstract way. Bonus points for showing you can work in a team and/or assume leading roles (without coming across like an arrogant dictator).
>tell me about yourself
Give them shit that is NOT related to programming. These people will be working with you for some time, they want to see if they can stand being around you. If all you do is talk about work, you're no fun to be around, plus the risk of burning out is much higher if you don't have hobbies that aren't related to programming. You can mention it, but make sure to include other stuff. Motorcycling, music production, lifting weights... whatever. You could also talk about more abstract things, like things you perceive as important. Do you strive to make the world a better place? How? Do you place high importance on acquiring a broad range of knowledge, instead of in-depth knowledge (i.e. do you try to become a jack-of-all-trades or an expert)? What are examples of this, i.e. did you specialize in a certain direction from the start of your studies or did you go out of your way to, for example, strike a balance between analog and digital electronics? etc

Good luck!

Get list of all businesses you COULD work for. Find their email addresses and/or fax numbers and send your application to everyone. Don't rely only on job postings. If your application lands in their lap just as they need someone, it's like manna from heaven. Why compete against everyone else when you can be the hero who swoops in just in time?

You sound like a gay or a girl

>With the push towards automation, it's going to be in high demand
Really what it comes down to is whether there will be a shortage of mechatronics engineers, I don't see that happening, not with every kid learning arduinos and 3d printing.

And every other kid is playing with OnShape these days, but that doesn't mean that they know anything about drafting standards. Would you trust some guy who made one-off plastic toys on his reprap to design injection molds and create all the necessary documentation for production? I somehow doubt it.

Let me guess, you're scandinavian.

Nah, this was in a (French) Quebec public high school. Shit was pretty awful.

Seconding .
I had to complete a 3 month internship as part of my degree. Got rejected at lots of places because, hey, I had no relevant experience and didn't even have a Bachelor's degree yet, and I didn't want to move like 500 miles for a 3 month internship. So I asked the professor who was responsible for organizing all this shit on the uni side of things for a list of businesses at which students had done internships in the past years. He wasn't officially allowed to give out that information but lo and behold, he needed someone to go through the (paper) contracts and copy the relevant info into some spreadsheets and he couldn't be held accountable if I happened to write down a couple of email addresses, names and phone numbers.
The great thing is, this way I got into direct contact with the people I would be working with instead of having to go through HR. So basically these guys thought "hmm I could use a low-paid intern to do this task for me", convinced their bosses an intern would be helpful and CREATED a spot for me. Some of those that didn't have any use for me forwarded my mails to their coworkers, who in turn contacted me.

Thank you user, I'll try that during my next interview.

The last job I had, during the interview, the owner of the company asked me "How did you find my email address?". It turns out, the email address I found by going through their site map forwarded directly to him. We had a good chuckle.

Basically any kind of signal processing (extensively used in image processing, voice recognition, any kind of filters, computer graphics, anything with sound and music, pattern recognition, radio-related stuff, and many more), extracting information from data, data analysis and processing, it's (and its derivatives) are used in compression, encoding data, data representation and error correction. Not to mention if you're gonna ever get you hands on some electronic related thing you're gonna see it everywhere. It's also a workhorse in many branches of engineering for their domain-specific uses (mechanical eng., civil eng., even in fucking geology).
Oh, I almost forgot the most basic use - for solving differential equations, which implies even more uses, like mathematical system modeling and simulations and fuck, it's so basic it's used just everywhere.

Nice.

quads confirm

for idx from 0 to size-2
swap(array, idx, size-1)

Then why didn't you move to a better school? I thought france had an excellent high schools when it came to maths.
Also, I suspect that in the case of this girl underfunding was at fault. You don't resolve issues like that with the whole class (unless the whole class is equally bad), but with one-on-one tutoring. But that costs the school extra.

>If all you do is talk about work, you're no fun to be around
honestly, I'd kill for coworkers who don't talk with me about anything non-work related

how to level up my skill then ? any recommended books on applied mathematics in a modern language ?

>Quebec
>France
I guess your school wasn't quite excellent when it came to geography.

Credentialism propaganda.
Wonder who could be behind this post?

That's because you're not normie enough.

Or they're too normie.
Talking about bideogaems or animu with coworkers, for instance.

Dicts! Unnecessary dictionaries everywhere! Fast, responsive and absolutely guarantees I'm never getting replaced