Old computer mouse (Rubber ball) driver?

So i have this old microsoft mouse.
Model: pn xo4 72168.
Official name: Gateway Microsoft Intellimouse 1.2A.
Anyone with some expertise who could give me the "non virus link" to this mouse?.
Backstory: Saved this beauty from the hands of someone who was about to throw it in the trash.

If it's PS/2 it should just werk. If not it's probably broken.

This It's PS/2 there are no drivers needed, but it has to be plugged in before you start your PC since PS/2 is not hot-pluggable

Ah that might be the thing, i only put the pc into "sleep mode" as i don't like moving the system when running. I will try this out and give an update!. Hopefully it will work.

Update: It didn't work, but i'll purchase the exact model on ebay in the coming days.
Very nice mouse, it has satisfying "clicks" and the shape if comfy to grip. (no homo).

what the others said. don't unplug it or plug it in while the system is on, as it won't detect it. it should be on at start and be automatically detected. it's a PS/2 mouse btw.

on that note, serial mice are not auto-detected in modern linux. I found that out the hard way.

I think the issue is that the inner "wheels" that are in contact with the rubber ball are worn out.
I was a small kid back when i last used one of these and i don't know what it is supposed to sound like etc. But yeah ty for the info.
as mentioned i'll just buy a new/used one that works.

arent there PS2 to USB adapters?

I looked at that first also, but i read my motherboard manual and it had the needed port on it.
I could try to purchase the adapter.
But i checked the "units" that are currently plugged into my pc and i found the mouse.
It is active but non working.
So i'm pretty sure it's completely dead.
(rest it's soul)

dude you have to plug it in then do a full reboot, shutting down doesnt reload the kernel it only hibernates it. (assuming pajeetsoft)

>Saved this beauty from the hands of someone who was about to throw it in the trash.
That's where rubber ball mice belong.

>This It's PS/2 there are no drivers needed
It does.
Generic PS/2 driver.

What the fuck are you going on about?
Windows 10 does some hybrid-hibernate its OS to quicken load times when you shutdown, but that doesn't stop new hardware from being installed

ps/2 requires a reload of the kernel tho whereas usb stuff doesn't

You were right, that fixed the problem instantly. thanks, now i can cancel my order on on another one from ebay.

glad u got your ball mouse working op now you can enjoy the constant cleaning of the wheels when they accumulate dust.

i8042prt.sys (C:\WINNT\Drivers\i8042prt.sys)
Always loaded, usually with code 41 if you use USB-HID exclusively

-> Paid for a "new" mouse on ebay about an hour ago. Paid as a "guest".
Completely screwed up as i can't cancel the order even after following the steps.
That's 46-ish dollars out the window.

>paying $46 for a fucking ball mouse

You could question mark any purchase in this day and age user.
You, me and anyone out there purchase stuff that can be considered "worthless". It's not anime figurine level, nor is it scam kickstarter funding going on here, it's the mouse i remember from childhood that has sentimental value and feels/sound satisfying.
And yes i paid 46 dollars as it was listed as "working".

no virus link?
its a fucking mouse , a PS2 one at that , it does not need ANY software

This guy is right. Everything needs a driver.

That's a shit comparison, what you did was the equivalent of paying the price of a new honda civic for a ford festiva. This isn't a scenario of subjective value, you paid money for literal garbage.

"Literal garbage". Ah yes, in your eyes.
Sure i could buy a gaming mouse for around that price, but i won't. As i'm already using a mionix castor as my daily driver for gaming etc.
There is no "shit comparison", it's just you getting worked up over trivial/minute shit.
It was annoying that i couldn't cancel the purchase, but i'll get use out of it and maybe use it for replacement parts.