Work CPU

I need a powerful CPU with many threads and cores for doing really heavy and accurate light calculations for work.

What is the best bang for buck when it comes to modern CPUs with loads of fast cores and threads?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113447
cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=3058&cmp[]=2846&cmp[]=2371#Multi
youtube.com/watch?v=G9JR_v-4BaQ
theguardian.com/society/2013/feb/25/norwegian-prison-inmates-treated-like-people
business.gov.nl/subsidies/corporate-finance/
supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/EPYC7000/H11DSi.cfm
supermicro.com/Aplus/system/1U/1023/AS-1023US-TR4.cfm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>work cpu
>bang for buck
Ask in >>>/pcbg/, or >>>/sqt when you seriously need a computer for work.

Ryzen is best for workstation

I7 8700k is best overall but unlikely you'll find it anywhere anytime soon

>bang for buck
I don't mean cheap. I'm looking at something with a huge count of cores/threads mate. but I don't wanna pay way too much just for a couple extra over another CPU

>>I7 8700k is best
>6 cores
>12 threads
lmao that's way too few for my line of work. I mean professional grade stuff, not this gaymen shit

>I don't mean cheap.
>lmao that's way too few for my line of work. I mean professional grade stuff, not this gaymen shit
Get xeons, and put as many of them as you can on a motherboard. price shouldn't matter if you use it for work related since you'll be reimbursed through taxes.
You can post your question in >>/pcbg/, and someone might help you with a build. Sup Forums isn't your personal tech support team, or hardware review site.

>Sup Forums isn't your personal tech support team, or hardware review site.
I don't see how having 1 thread about CPUs for actual work instead of gaymen shit is bad or something that only benefits me personally.

seems like you have no idea what you are talking about. ask your company to provide a workstation for you

I mean xeon tier stuff. but I don't know if AMD has comparable CPUs. currently looking at a setup with 2x E5-2695 v4

>I don't see how having 1 thread about CPUs for actual work instead of gaymen shit is bad
It's the same thing, and there is a thread dedicated to these types of questions.
>or something that only benefits me personally.
Not everyone here works with you user, so I don't see how it benefits anyone other than you, and your employees/employers.
If you can't make these choices for yourself than hire someone that can, or ask your boss.

>but I don't know if AMD has comparable CPUs
they are called opterons
more slower cores for less money

>I mean xeon tier stuff. but I don't know if AMD has comparable CPUs. currently looking at a setup with 2x E5-2695 v4
>they are called opterons
Why limit the choices to just AMD, and Intel? There are a lot of companies that cater to enterprise/professionals. Let's throw in IBM, Oracle, and Fujitsu for starters since user is an undefined professional who will be using his computer for undefined professional work.

sure if IBM and others have comparable stuff then I'm game.

but getting benchmarks on these tiers of CPUs is hard, since the only ones being benchmarked well are gaymen consumer shit

>threadripper
>done

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113447

>16-Core / 32 Threads
>for that low
is this a joke? E5-2695 v4 costs €3.8K, how do they compare?

>sure if IBM and others have comparable stuff then I'm game.
What is your intended use case?

i thought it was x86 only because he only because of the retarded image.

>comparable
better. but you still sound like a fucking retard, so just ask your company to provide something. you seem to have no idea what architecture, specs,.. you need, how the fucking software you use scales with cores, etc

the software I use, always utilizes all threads and also it uses clusters of PC's, so they can all work on the same job.

Where the fuck have you been, kikeripper is kills xeon

>how do they compare

not sure hope this helps though

youtube.com/watch?v=G9JR_v-4BaQ

for

I literally can't believe this

Nice false flagging thread OP

times change user

>the software I use, always utilizes all threads and also it uses clusters of PC's, so they can all work on the same job.
Try IBM, and ask them about a modern kiliocore 1025.

and, what architectures does it support ? and what are your needs ? why not just get a fucking cluster with 512 opterons ? or one of these 34 core sparc64 cpu stations ? 3 blades a 3 cpus a 34 cores

>literally can't believe Intel's been jewing everyone out of high core/threaded cpus
not that hard user

kys fagget

wtf I thought Sup Forums was just memeing about threadripper

how the fuck are xeons still the same price?

>kiliocore 1025
that's way overkill for my work though.

right now I'm really considering just using multiple threadripper desktops together

>kys fagget
Post in /pcbg/ general like everyone else. You dont need your own tech support thread. Fuck off

>thinly veiled threadripper thread

>that's way overkill for my work though.
Then get sparcs. There are government grants available if you really need it for work, and can't afford the "buy in".

good goy.
they lying.

>that's way overkill for my work though
really ? because it seems like your "work" is shitposting on Sup Forums. you provided nothing about your requirements

>sparcs
what are they about then?
>There are government grants available if you really need it for work, and can't afford the "buy in".
I don't live in the USA, so I don't know about grants for stuff like this here

>you provided nothing about your requirements
specs differ per project, but I'm talking about couple of hours of calculation on a 32 thread xeon per render

>thinly veiled threadripper thread
Exactly what I think. OP is a professional who has to make this decision himself, and is worried about price/perf, because he doesn't qualify for a grant, loan, and/or tax deduction for work related tools.
Something doesn't add up here.

Indians larping as employed wealthy prospective buyers thread?

ok this doesn't look as good as the stuff posted here.

I can get tax deduction, but I don't wanna deal with government handouts.

every fucking board here is so fucking autistic about shit they don't like
>HURR EVERYONE I DON'T LIKE IS A SHILL
fuck off

and you want to reduce that time by a factor of ? or what do you want ?

Oh, you're too new to recognize the pattern?

oh fuck that is score, not time

those xeons were at my previous job, they are nice but have a bloated price, and I'm guessing since I can use multiple desktops at the same time for the same job, I might get more bang for my cash if I split the work between multiple machines instead of making 1 mega machine

>start a shitty false flagging thread pretending to just be a newfag who doesnt know how to post in /pcbg/
>get upset

Intel is not for work, intel is for children.

isn't the 1950X supposed to be 799? it's fucking €879 here

should I wait for it to drop to 799 or is the 799 price a meme?

>I can get tax deduction, but I don't wanna deal with government handouts.
Then you wont be in "business" for that long user.
>grants, tax deductions, and loans
>government handouts
Not considering your government as your business partner
>I'm a professional who doesn't like to make a profit, or purchase the required tools that would separate me from the amateurs.
Is OP baiting, and was this whole thread bullshit?

Oh my god you stupid fuck no wonder the world hates Indians

>Wants pro cpu, but looking at i7/i9, and threadripper benchmarks.
Good thread made from another pro.

>accurate
Definitely not a Core i7.
You're going to need ECC RAM.

I'm dutch you piece of shit rotten teeth brit

>brit the country full of pakis and indians calling other peope indians
lmao

VAT LOL

if you read the thread, you'd know this is the reason I got to threadripper:

I was looking at 2x Xeon E5-2695 v4

Wait for 8th generation AMtel Processors.

isn't their new thing that they're using AMD gpu embedded in the cpu? that's just a waste for me since I don't care about integrated gpu at all.

Apple has been making some great CPUs.

MacBook (not the Pro version) has a phenomenal processor. I've been editing 480p videos on it no problem, what a monster.

>just wait

kys with your shitpost

yeah 480p takes a real beast

>replying to obvious bait

>I'm dutch you piece of shit rotten teeth brit
The dutch puts top of the line workstations in prisons at the prisoner's request, and user is pretending that they won't do the same for him as a professional that is contributing to society, and the overall economy.
Wew lad, I need to find some gaiters, because this thread is at least knee deep in bullshit.

>making shit up
wow great post

in reality we have to constanty close prisons because they're emptu

>if you read the thread, you'd know this is the reason I got to threadripper:
Xeons are actually cheaper per core if you have a 8 socket motherboard. This is probably what you want if your software scales well, and are indeed a pro.

>Xeons are actually cheaper per core if you have a 8 socket motherboard.
yeah but I run a small company and we have only started recently so I don't think I can cough up 8x ~€4K for those xeons

also, having the processing power in multiple machines means if one of my colleges isn't using all the muscle of his machine, then I can use what is left of that for my rendering job, so nothing is ever wasted

Single rank vs Dual rank ECC?

>making shit up
theguardian.com/society/2013/feb/25/norwegian-prison-inmates-treated-like-people
>Cells had televisions, computers, integral showers and sanitation.
And there was an article that I can't find right now where they provided a prisoner a state of the art system, so the prisoner could start his career as a rapper.
>yeah but I run a small company and we have only started recently so I don't think I can cough up 8x ~€4K for those xeons
business.gov.nl/subsidies/corporate-finance/
Good bait thread, because I'm still in it responding.

>>making shit up
norwegian prisons are dutch prisons now? lmao retard

>business.gov.nl/subsidies/corporate-finance/
>Good bait thread, because I'm still in it responding.
it's not a bait thread, but this is my first company I've started so I don't have much experience with that stuff but also I don't want to or can afford to hire someone just to deal with this sort of thing (yet). thanks for the link by the way, appreciated.

De Nederlandse eigenlijk helemaal niet zo tolerant, uw cultuur bevordert conformiteit, uw feestjes zijn niet zo wild en ze eindigen veel te snel, dat uw zangers zijn verschrikkelijk en hun volksmuziek erger. De meeste Nederlandse vrouwen een overbite, en de meeste mannen hebben geen arm sterkte. De universiteiten zijn ouderwets en inefficiënt. En Amsterdam is niet een grote wereldstad, maar gewoon een dorp voor Britse mannen op zoek naar prostituees.

>accurate light calculations
Am I the only one that finds this funny?

>norwegian prisons are dutch prisons now?
You're all cucked beyond belief, and all your prison are about the same
>lmao retard
You can't even run your own business properly, or have the brain power to access the available funding provided by your government, so I don't think that you have any room to call someone else a retard.

shitty machine translation made me stop reading mate. get rekt by the way, black pete > everything you have

>You're all cucked beyond belief
typical brainlet "all of west europe is the same country hurr"

>it's not a bait thread, but this is my first company I've started so I don't have much experience with that stuff but also I don't want to or can afford to hire someone just to deal with this sort of thing (yet). thanks for the link by the way, appreciated.
user. If you can't do this for yourself then you need to hire someone that could before you even start. I would do it for you properly, and handhold you for a few months to get you up, and running, but I cost money.

thanks for the offer, but I want to keep the company as small as possible, and reduce cost as much as possible so we only have to finish a couple of projects to be set for a year. at least for now, I don't want to expand, especially since we make a lot of money just from a single project.

anyone want a nice housefire for the winter?

It looks like it's going to be used for Battlefield 1 with the bullet speed, trajectory and latency to determine whether a headshot was dealt or not.

I use stuff like DIALux and Lightmass

>Budget oriented professional business owner needs budget oriented workstation for thread scaleable software, but is unaware of government's available grants, loans, or reimbursements which said company holds nexus in. After all options laid out somehow the AMD Threadripper is the best option for user.
Pajeet made a new thread.

>After all options laid out somehow the AMD Threadripper is the best option for user.
it is because lightmass works perfectly when you have multiple desktops linked together. this means I can give everyone threadripper desktops and have the sum of all that performance available for the renders, instead of having all the performance in 1 machine

Just buy a server

>it is because lightmass works perfectly when you have multiple desktops linked together.
You seem like a perfect candidate for used multi socketed xeon platforms. Cheaper than Intel's, and AMD's current line ups.

Isn't lightmass locked to a couple of threads?

but how do you buy used CPU without getting scammed? I've heard about this but I have no idea how to get into that (but am willing)

no, last project I had a 32thread xeon (can't remember which) maxed out while I had 2 other 16 thread xeons also maxed out all running the same job splin between them automatically with swarm

The best way is to find craigslist (or equivalent) listings for businesses being liquidated.

>but how do you buy used CPU without getting scammed?
What? the same way you buy a new cpu without getting scammed.
>I've heard about this but I have no idea how to get into that (but am willing)
You just buy them user from an online supplier, or retailer.

Have you heard of Epyc? people suggesting opterons, are you fresh out of the pod from 2014? Bang for buck wise, the single socket only Epyc SKUs absolutely skullfuck anything else at their price point.

Whats your budget

€5K per workstation, and right now I only need a couple

higher clock and lower price? what am I missing here?

nothing at all, user
epyc is the bang for buck choice for now, as far as i can tell

yeah but why is the slower epyc more expensive than the faster epyc?

no idea man, do your own google-fu

Supply and demand dude, pricing is just based on availability. Recall that those are retailer prices, not AMD RRPs

supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/EPYC7000/H11DSi.cfm

oh wow, dual epyc would be awesome, because the 24/16core epycs are a lot cheaper per core than the 32 one. and this fits into a normal E-ATX desktop case right? does it need anyting special expect for ECC RAM?

Just buy one or two of these bad boys, you've got the budget.
supermicro.com/Aplus/system/1U/1023/AS-1023US-TR4.cfm

Looks pretty standard+ ish

but why a server rack instead of a desktop?

So which Epyc CPU do you suggest?

Probably would be cheaper and more reliable in the end.

The "P" part