What exactly are the benefits of Linux over windows or macOS?

What exactly are the benefits of Linux over windows or macOS?

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu.com/download/desktop
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Doesn't spy on you
>Package manager
>Not necessarily bloated
>UNIX-like

Free as in Freedom, so no software botnet.
Free as in price
Faster
Works better on old hardware
Works better as a server
More Customization

>Doesn’t spy on you
Fair point, but neither does macOS.

>A package manager or package management system is a collection of software tools that automates the process of installing, upgrading, configuring, and removing computer programs for a computer's operating system in a consistent manner.

??? Both macOS and windows have package managers

>Not necessarily bloated

Neither of the other OS’s are

freedom of hardware (mac loses just with that)
freedom of modification (rip windows and mac)
no bloat
no price
no spying

Depends on where you use it.
For a server, the benefit is you can toy with it for free, then scale the system up to a big system with no extra costs.
On the desktop, it is just easier to use, no matter if you are the average computer geek or an expert.
If you know how software works, you know how gnu/linux work.
The system is controlled by the community, so changes are usually always for the better.
There is a lot more choice, so you can scratch whatever itch you are having

windows is almost 50gb without any applications.
I call that bloat

>neither does macOS
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

>package manager
App store doesn't count

>not bloated
Yes they are.

user, you're embarrassing yourself

> but neither does macOS
Not sure if shill or just an idiot.
Apple started surveillance of its users years before Microsoft.

its free and package management is on a level that would make me pay for windows if microsoft would have done it so well.
Opinion wise i think most stuff is comfy and lacks adware/bloat from most 3rd party windows programs, which is enough for me to use daily even if i have to deal with some other things. I will probably get atacked for mentioning adware on third party software some way, but windows really needs to rely on freeware programs to do simple tasks efficiently imo, but i try to use foss over freeware when possible.

>>Not necessarily bloated
>Neither of the other OS’s are

Base Windows 10 x64 installation: 20-30GB
GNU/Linux installation with dozens of userspace programs and multilib:

It's free and open.
It's one of the last non-dystopian piece of tech today.
Basically if you don't mind comfy 1984 and you are not some kind of a dev - you have no reason to use GNU/Linux. You will find only pain and myseri here.

Not to mention the Unix environment is the de facto standard to program in. Pretty much every programming book/tutorial assumes you are on GNU/Linux or other Unix-like OS.
Granted, OS X is Unix-like too, but why spend so much just for an OS when you can get a perfectly good one for free?

>your choice of low contrast colors to use system wide
>your choice of tiny monospaced fonts to use system wide
>the joy that comes from the extra work needed to work
>learning how hardware functions as you track down what keeps breaking drivers constantly

It's good though because this

Freedom doesnt spy on you and lean.

I can install a fucking operating system and its not packed will shit they can only hurt me. At best shit that will just take up space and be useless.

You can also just install ubuntu or debian or something if you want to just have a desktop.

Also at this point mac and windows are both negatives. The spying the loss of control and someone else decides what to update when.

>Fair point, but neither does macOS.
You have to be trolling. No one can live in this world for the last 10 plus years and expect any privacy from a major software company let alone apple.

pros: nice terminal
cons: lack of third-party programs

Nothing more.
The spying, freedom, user control nonsense is a meme.

Linux have and will always have potential, but I would say very few can actually make use of the potential. sad but true.

>spying, freedom and user control are memes

The Greatest Goy Who Ever Lived

This

Prefectly good OS that can be design to function (sadly) like OS X.

Its like 15

>having nearly complete control of everything that happens in your machine.
>much more secure
>having autism

>very few
>90% of supercomputers and servers

Ssssshhhh, you'll scare the goyims

Props for using a communist as a representative of good goys.
Linux today is a direct adversary of communism and cultural Marxism.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Faster
Prove it

Lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On the linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that the linux does not have. You have those two buttons in the linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

well said, goy

>lack of third party programs
what?

Do you have eyes?

That was mostly gibberish. Lie down for a while.

It's a copypasta. I don't know where it came from though.

>What exactly are the benefits of Linux over windows or macOS?
You'd have to ask the supercomputer developers, who use Linux almost exclusively, or the military, who have huge contracts with Redhat, or major scientific research centers, who use Scientific Linux. I know that's no competition for real power users who need to play the latest games and shitpost on imageboards, though.

funny thing , you made me remember how analblasted i was about trying ubuntu 8.04 live cd and realizing you can fit a working desktop system that had drivers for all my hardware (well maybe except the nvidia gpu, but nouveau worked much better than the generic winxp vga drivers) on a cd.
Honestly i dont know how could microsoft fuck this up so badly until windows 10, especially the part of having to download hundreds of updates after fresh install like they are too retarded to update isos.
I wish i could experience this feel for the first time again , and then play morrowind for the first time again but using openMW on a live dvd, this would be tits.

For servers theres no comparison. Kernel features such as cgroups enable software containers and easy job management across clusters. It is relatively trivial to teak the kernel to allow for more memory pages per-process, set the max number of threads, etc. This makes allows your to easily and transparently tweak machines for running databases, caches, proxies, compute servers, and web servers. For these reasons it is used for almost all super computing and web serving environments.

For personal use, I don't find it that much more useful than macOS (windows is hot garbage unless you are developing for windows, which is hot garbage).

macOS's unix-like environment enables me to develop software for linux very easily with little setup. If I ever need to use linux I just boot it up in a VM and its all good.

I use Fedora 26 at work and its pretty nice but there are no good drivers for my machine so it cant do simple stuff like sleep or use the wifi card without issues. It gets the job done but I'd rather be using macOS desu

The only thing I don't like about macOS is its lack of good virtualization support. Virtualbox works alright but KVM+QEMU+libvirt is way more powerful.

I prefer macOS but will not judge if someone is using linux as their desktop. If you are using windows I'll probably throw up in my mouth a little but whatever

Ubuntu's still here, user. 17.10's waiting for you
ubuntu.com/download/desktop

i know user, i used linux exclusively for almost 3 years (before that dual booting since 2012) but now im on a neet life and have to play starcraft 2 with nice fps.
Also 17.10 is a broken piece of shit (in other words broken gnome 3). In fact i would say that all DEs are broken in some way atm. I used consistently gnome 3.14/3.18 for this time and now only thing i would accept as sane and stable is xfce+compiz i think.
Tried so hard to move KDE that i moved to windows until probably new LTS release of ubuntu or the stable release of Debian Buster.

>but now im on a neet life
Alright then. Have fun with that.

I've actually been trying out buster testing. Not bad at all, although I use the autistic Tiling WM setup, which isn't representative of how the standard DE experience will be.

I like stable releases, and WMs are a cool thing (personally i liked openbox and i3) but my pc has to be accessible by other people, so i stick with simple to use DEs, gnome was working really good for me until the recent versions - unity had idiotic keybindings and kde is buggy unfortunatly. Xfce is ok too.

MacOS has a crappy, third party package manager.
Windows does not have anything that could be considered equivalent to a Linux package manager, except through WSL.

I like the package management, the terminal/shell/command line, and the choice and customization it allows for

1. Fast
2, Free (as in both beer and freedom)
3. Doesn't rape me
4. Just werks

>lack of third-party programs
Not true. Thirty party programs are actually one of the worst things about windows since most of them are adware/malware filled proprietary garbage.

>Windows
>Package Managers
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

I think you quoted the wrong person, that user never implied that windows has a package manager

I did. Was meant for

Most importantly, it's free open source software. I don't care that much about FOSS in userspace programs, but since the OS has by definition access to literally everything on your machine, the idea of it being a corporate-controlled black box is honestly fucked up - especially now when computers and the internet are such a big part of everyone's everyday life.
The fact that it's overall better than Windows and MacOS is a nice bonus.

For me the big kicker is full access to my OS. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to change things in windows or give myself permission to do things and I was reminded me that Microsoft owns my computer, not me.

>In Linux if I need to give myself access to a risky part of my filesystem I can
>If there is something the dev thinks is crucial but I don't I can remove it.
Windows it simply won't let me do that.

>try to delete folder in Windows
>you need admin access
>Another window pops up
>can't delete folder with admin privileges

>This actually happened to me last week
I had to format my hard drive to use it as pure file storage because windows wouldn't let me remove the program files or windows folders

>neither does macOS.
begone shill

I eventually fixed it by going down into the folder and deleting files until the folder was empty, then deleting the containing folder, and so on and so on until it was all removed. It makes no sense why windows does that shit

>foss (free as in freedom and open source)
>no spying/botnet
>not bloated
>faster on new and old hardware
>more lightweight
>free as in price/beer
>more customization
>a lot of support and documentation

the only fucking thing I hate are the drivers

if you need this explained to (you), install botnet10

Your inforgraphic needs to be updated. I don't see what dates BSD/freeBSD and linux were added. Was that before 2007?

Source?

>BSD/freeBSD and linux were added
Never happened. However, the NSA probably backdoored systemd.

>nvidia gpu, but nouveau worked much better than the generic winxp vga drivers) on a cd.

Yeah thank god for the ease of use of linux with video cards, really helps when I am gaming!

I'm surprised MacOSx isn't doing better on virtualization. Darwin derives from freeBSD and the BSDs are rocking with behyves.

Anyways, I'm loving Fedora 26. It's not the most visually impressive, Windows 10 is pretty. Brave, MPV, Sayanora, and DNF just make it easier to get software or needed applications. although my desktop needs rebooting every once in a while. Nothing like windows but it's not like good old linux.

>Base Windows 10 x64 installation: 20-30GB
Its 20 min recommended with the actual install being ~15

>Fair point, but neither does macOS.
Wrong, retard

>faster on new and old hardware
faster for all of those non-existent programs lmao

>applications

It's completely in my control.

Benefits: Tons of free software packages and you can configure and tweak everything to suit your needs.

Drawbacks: Few to no games, support for the very latest bleeding edge hardware may take a while. (On the other hand I've found hardware supported for which there was no Windows driver.)