/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=dU7iKNmQBIs

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

WOYW today?

where do you fucks even find this shit? who his wearing these?

hello friends

give it back jamal

china?

Are Cabot watches a meme? I'm reading a book about spec ops and they use a Cabot dive watch.

the guy is white and even blacks know not to steal japanese quartz watches although that one is pretty nice looking

Looks a bit large

>Cabot watches
they are expensive but they are durable

Pharmdcuckguy here:
Since you guys are probably the only people with actual jobs on Sup Forums I really need your advice.
I just got back from a network event, and I talked with the pharmacy director at the major hospital. He basically confirmed that they don't hire pharmacists, and when they do they're looking for residents.
The resident's are not garenteed a job after they finish the one year and they also only make 40k a year. I'm going to be around 140k when I graduate.
Retail chains apperently only hire their interns now, and I applyed for intern positions for all the geographically accessible in NYC. It's been almost 3 weeks with nothing back so far.

The fuck do I do? I always have my escape plan of just going back to where my parents are from (I'm first gen). What would the loan situation be? I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to come back to the US, but the way things are going politically and economically here I don't think I would even care.
pls help.

Pic related is my grail, just to keep it watch related.

140k in debt*
Also what the fuck is wrong with my spelling
being on 600mg of caffeine probably isn't healthy fuck

I don't know anything about pharma, or about pharmd loans. But I would expect a job search to take more than 3 weeks.

What's your standard of geographically accessible? When we first started living in NYC my girlfriend was working 2 hours and change up metro north. If you're living in Manhattan, almost all of Long Island, NJ out to at least Elizabeth, and North up to Yonkers should be in your search range, as well as (obviously) every inch of the five boroughs..

Sorry, I know this advice sucks, but based on people I know succeeding at finding intro jobs, this is what they face.

Good luck user.

The pharmacists only make 40K in the US what the fuck? In Canada you would probably make 100K canadian bucks after a while.

Maybe try getting an interim job doing something you hate to keep the money coming in. Where are your parents from?

Where is your parents from? Thailand?

become a resident it wont hurt your life or the job search.

What is vaguely like the Seiko dolce but solar?

mid east country, I was born here though.
Residents make 40k, and hospitals now require a year residency (even 2 sometimes) to be considered for a job.
south brooklyn, so anything past midtown is like a 2 hour commute. I'm in my second year, and from what I heard CVS and co. love interns because we do a full pharmacist job for tech money. I think they're just putting up fake listings.
A costco pharmacy manager told me that over the phone when I called asking if they hired.
The job market is dead for pharmacy.
I don't have the money to move out to bumfuck arkansas or something for a residency and it doesn't ensure you a job afterwards.
a 40k salary means ill be paying off like 300k in freaking interest alone.

What I want to know is what happens if I just leave during the grace period. Obviously after a while they would freeze my assets etc. and I would be arrested if I come back, but is that it?
Could the interpol get involved over student loans? lol

Sorry friend we mostly just post watches here not sure we have an expert on extraterritoriality of student loan defaults.

First job and therefore first real reference > any amount of money 2bh
Also in general you have to compromise a lot if you don't want to move far away and you will never get near your perfect job straight away.
Different field but my first job wasn't even really in the direction of the job I want to have on 20-30 years time. I knew that the reference from my first shitty job would get me a step closer to what I want and then the reference from the job after a step closer.
I don't know much about your area but consider looking overseas or moving far from home. Every pharmacist I have seen recently is foreign.

Oh and just to add to the fun my pharm school isn't actually in NYC (they offered a scholarship) so I'm limited to email, online applications and calling for intern job hunting. fuck me
kinda hoping lawyerfag is up honestly

pharmacymanpower.com
even if I can relocate and I give up my parent's rent controlled apartment, there's no where else to go but fucking alaska
The whole country is fucked

Nurse bro here. Take the store number from the job listing, google the CVS that it is, call and ask to talk to the pharmacist and tell them that you applied to their intern position.

Try NYP, they are adding a ton of staff to the new hospitals they bought @ Methodist and NYP Queens. Methodist I heard added a staff pharmacist to their ED and they're supposed to have a resident with them.

Don't give up, you're far along and eventually you'll find something. I have this thread up always on my tabs so if you have more questions or need to see if I can find leads let me know.

Is there a japanese equivalent for an esa 9362 quartz movement?

>uboat
ISHYGDDT

where on earth are you looking that dpharma are making sub 70k in retail in the states? if you did pharmad why are you looking at retail? nyc has an insane density of retail pharmacies. there is a higher density of duane reades than starbucks here.

get a job as a clerk at a CVS. Get to know the pharma folks there. Make sure they know you're looking. And be an absolute model employee as a clerk, obviously.

>140k in debt*

The current American higher education system was a mistake.

Additionally student loans are the only thing you cant default on, you can defer till you get your life straight but you will still accrue interest. I would imagine unless you moved to the third world interpol would pick you up for walking out on your debts.

>tfw max 27k worth of tuition loans as a UK student
>tfw live in lower income country (but not poor) so have 12k in tuition loans
>tfw daddy pays for almost new car, tax, insurance and fuel

How does it feel to be cucked Freedomfags? I wouldn't know

That is an immigrant we are all doing fine seeing as we are not literally living in an Orwellian authoritarian state as you are.

>Take the store number from the job listing, google the CVS that it is, call and ask to talk to the pharmacist and tell them that you applied to their intern position.
I did this exact thing with costco, the pharmacy manager said the posts are fake, they had one for a pharmacy manager position and he said he wasn't being replaced so yeah.
Funny you mention NYP, I just got an email for a per diem intern posting I applied and it said they weren't hiring in the near future. This is the manhattan location.
I'm starting to think all these posts are fake and they just hire based on nepostism or not at all.
I'm only in NYC for breaks, can't afford to waste time as a clerk.
yes it is.
but what would they do if they catch me? freeze my assests and take my casio and thinkpad collection?
Can you go to jail for not being able to pay student loans?
also I know my grammar makes me seem like I'm in 5th grade or something, I'm on 900mg of caffine right now so it's a miracle I can even sit down.

stop posting about your job here
stop freaking out you are fine
stop taking caffeine pills you fucking idiot

Answer me guys

I just want a free consulation with lawyeranon
And I if I don't take caffine I go into serious depression and can't get anything done. This is how I get out of bed in the morning.
under 1200 or so mg shouldn't be too bad, I drink a lot of water.

I kind of wish that I lived in rural England some times. Or Switzerland. I may one day.

Look up recruiters from NYP, NYU etc.. on linkdin and hit them up. It seems hard but trust me it'll happen eventually. I can't speak for Costco becuase they are probably crazy busy but call every CVS you can find, ask to speak to the pharmacist or the pharmacy manager. If not pop in to the store in person.

Also stop taking caffeine pills unless you want to be my patient.

Dont get a diver watch unless you actually scuba dive

>And I if I don't take caffine I go into serious depression and can't get anything done.

Haha sucks to be a lesser human

what do you even mean?

pls go

ok hes not here and that does not sound good m8. You may have some actual problems

underage

No i'll stay and continue calling out the posers who buy watches created for activities they dont participate in. Its time we clean up /wt/ a little bit

uh oh I'm not a doctor

uh oh I don't own a car

I do have problems.
I;m about to become carmen fucking sandiego because I went to pharmacy school
bruh post a good one come on

uh oh I'm not an astronomer

>30 beats
who's got time for that?

you're retarded

Cheapest decent watch I can get that isn't a Casio terrorist watch?

Apparently the pharmacy dude has quite a lot of time on his hands.

casio popewatch

mai $19 chink version

give me the model this one is beatiful

Casio mtp1183

This is a 5S21-7A10from 1990. The 5S21 was a quartz movement made only for about three years. It has a 4Hz high-beat stepper motor which is damped by a viscous liquid and a spring to produce a smoothly-sweeping second hand. The 7A10 is fairly impossibly rare today but there are lots of 5S21 watches available on ebay and yahoo JP.

I am the user that free dives. Get dabbed on son.

What's the best 2017 Swatch to get for father's day?

uh oh I'm not an 80's yuppie

Everyone on /wt/ wants that watch

uh oh I'm not a 1930s eastern european artillery operator

uh oh i don't windsurf

Uh oh I'm not a MIG 60C pilot

please tell me you don't have this and the 7A10

When was the last time you went scuba diving?

uh oh I'm not a man on the fucking mooooooon

Afraid so? Not a bad thing really though.

You're already approved to wear dive watches then, where did anyone say people who dive shouldnt wear dive watches?

Any good?

The only thing that's bad about it is how fucking jelly i am.

That dude has the broadest collection of interesting movement types of anyone I've ever seen on the internet.

>When was the last time you went scuba diving?
Scuba diving isn't the only use for a timing bezel, factory pressure tested level of water resistance, or extremely bright lume.

When 9Ball came in here Aug 2015 shilling the 5S21, I just went on ebay and bought the first one on the search page, which was the 7A10. Lucked out there.

Uh oh I'm not a 1980s German fighter pilot.

This one will be arriving in a few weeks. Was a painful purchase but only one I've seen listed in a long time.

9Ball really baptized me in the world of watches two or three years ago now. Miss that fucker. Inb4 canadian was Nineball this whole time.

he disappeared a month or two ago; did he dieded?

How the hell can you be interested enough in so many different movement types to collect literally all of them? That always amazes me since my interests are much more narrowly focused on late pre-quartz high-end production mechanicals and modern high-end production mechanicals, with only a dabbling interest in modern LCD quartz and HEQ.

MTP V006L-7BUDF $25

Explain the other uses for those features then

>Inb4 canadian was Nineball this whole time.
Please never suggest I would have purchased that Credor chronograph ever again, thank you. Nineball knew his shit but he and I had very different aesthetic tastes in watches.

No he has been gone for much longer than that I think. And yes he did die.
He had a Habring in his collection which I am super hard for so that's the only reason I liked him. The rest of his collection was pretty ghastly if I remember correctly. Even had that odd magnet watch for the blind.

I have no interest in solar, LCD, or bumper, but other than that I'm into most everything yes. I guess when I look at sub-10k mechanical, it all feels pretty similar, with only minor variations. I'd love to collect all the different thermoinsensitive alloys used for hairsprings for example, but other than that, to get new tech in traditional mechanical watches (like constant-force escapement, resonance, fusee, remontoire, etc), you really have to pay up into the stratosphere.

I'm into timekeeping tech.

See like that magnet watch could have been something I'd have been into if the hours and minutes hadn't been reversed for no reason and it wasn't quite such an awful shape and size; it fits really lousy on the wrist.

I am very jealous, love your collection. Where do you get your knowledge from? Reading online? Collectors forums? Books?

>Timing bezel
In practical terms 95% of the useful functionality of a chronograph without the dial clutter and t h i c c ness as most things I would be timing are less than an hour in length and don't require to the second precision.

>Water resistance
Swimming, doing any sort of work wear there is a good chance of water exposure.

>Lume
Nighttime legibility, obviously.

In general an inexpensive dive watch makes a good beater mechanical for using in situations you would not want to wear your other watches, in addition to the general utility of the timing bezel and lume.

I thought that was just a meme how the hell did he die?

A lot initially came from going to watchuseek sales forums, opening basically every post and reading about the watch if I couldn't tell at a glance what tech it had inside. Once I got pretty good at that, watch blogs for modern high-end mechanical tech (fusee, remontoire, etc), old forum posts (rip photobucket) for quartz tech, and fan websites for stuff like tuning fork (seriously). And continuing to troll watchrecon for stuff I don't recognize.

Living in NYC also helps because at least for modern stuff I can go out and try on almost everything, from the dufour I tried on recently at Phillips, to Greubel Forsey, to Journe, etc.

Legend has it he was changing a bracelet one night and a spring bar flew up into his throat and got stuck. He choked to death.

how was that dufour?

>Where do you get your knowledge from? Reading online? Collectors forums? Books?
Not him, but in my own areas of expertise it's mainly searching and reading a lot online. For vintage Seiko in particular that's virtually the only choice as very little of the knowledge exists anywhere else. There's actually a lot of useful information out there but it takes a decent ability to use search engines and to synthesize what you learn from many disparate sources.

You ever get to handle a Voutilainen up close? I'm curious how the finishing compares to a Dufour.

I really can't recommend Heuerville straps enough. Yes they're expensive and it was (at the time) a 3 month wait. But the fit, finish and comfort of the 2 that I have make them easily 2 of my favorites. I also have the Cream one, not pictured.

Guys if anyone knows pls

Unsurprisingly, amazing. The thing that struck me most was how the geneva striping on the bridges caught the light - they change appearance under different angles of light in a way that I've never seen on any other movement.

Yes, got to meet Kari and chat watches briefly at watch time nyc last month. He's super awkward in person, but loves talking about his projects. The finishing on the watches wasn't up to the level Dufour's, but the dials are obviously Kari's main thing, and while I'm not really a fan, they're obviously masterfully executed. The watches wore a little chunky and big, at least for my taste, and especially compared to the Dufour.

Damn, I hope one day to reach that level of knowledge about timekeeping. I am young enough to switch careers but I also have a great job lined up for when I graduate. That being said, part of me still wants to work with timekeeping for a living.

I'm assuming this is just a hobby of yours and you're not in the industry? I've been chasing vintage seikos recently since SeikoBro from southern ontario keeps posting about them but when I see your collection I realize theres so much cool tech out there.

Do you mainly deal online with forums or articles? For me I find WUS sometimes isnt enough unless I really dig.

I work in finance; collecting watches is just a hobby. I've done the FHH course on disassembling and reassembling a Unitas 6497, and I've regulated a few of my cheaper pieces, but that's about it. But I built pendulum clocks out of k'nex when I was a kid so the hobby fits pretty easily.

thinking about buying a grand seiko spring drive. anything i should know?

Thanks for taking your time to answer these questions m8. Hope to see some more in depth peaks into your collection in the future.