/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask your stupid questions here. Use a search engine such as the following that respects your freedom first before asking us

duckduckgo.com/
startpage.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
cemu.info/
microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is it stupid to use a seedbox (also) as cloud storage?

I have a PDF that I need to extract one page from and preserve the forms. What tools can do this without costing money or installing extra bloatware?

Online tools I've tried fuck up the line spacing on text blocks that have underlines for each line.

Reposting

The brightness on my laptop is incredibly low, I can barely see it. It doesn't respond to the brightness control buttons or battery power settings. Tried updating the monitor and graphics card drivers to no avail. What should I do next? My nearest repairer would charge me $90 if I brought it in

sounds like the backlight is broken or turned off. Some laptops have a function key combinations to turn it off

Bought a 1080Ti and it's unstable at stock clocks (i.e. crashes if I just install it and run with it), but it's fine if I downclock it 26MHz which I don't really care about losing.

Is there any reason I can't wait until the 2000 series releases, wait for 1080Ti's to stop being in circulation, RMA it and get a 2000 series card for it?

It's either your power supply or the temperature inside of your case.

I'm re-building an FX 8370 system and intend to overclock the CPU & GPU (GTX 960 Ti) as hard as the system will allow. These are the thermal compounds I have on hand.

Which would you use for the CPU? Which would you use to re-set the cooling block on the GPU?

>need a computer for study, work and gaming (sanity)
>finally saved up enough to buy my new build
>developed an eye problem which is now resolved but cost me $4000
>will take me at least 3 months to save enough to buy it again
should I just settle with something less? I don't know what to do. I know this is more of a financial question due to the situation but building my own slick pc was pretty much all that motivated me to get through my day for the last 6 months.

It's a 1000W EVGA Supernova T2 so I doubt it, but to be fair I haven't tested it in another system yet. Temperatures are ice cold, my case has really good airflow and it's freezing where I live, it crashes even if I were to go boot it up now where it'll be at 35C. It's just the Aorus card which is known to have this issue of being clocked so high out of the box it's unstable.

Also, if I disable the fans on it while running my -26MHz profile, it'll go all the way up to 90C and start downclocking and not crash, so I don't think temperature has anything to do with it.

shit happens in life, but think of the savings you could have by waiting until you have a proper budget then carefully picking out components online.

how soon do you need a computer for what's necessary? get something with an apu if gaming is that important

You sold your system to pay for eye surgery?

Man you need to get your priorities in check, no one ever got a girlfriend because of their eyesight, but I pick up women with my 1080Ti all the time.

anyone?

I haven't done this in a while, so I might be remembering this wrong. But, give Open Office Writer a try. It's had pretty good PDF support/import/export/editing and I'd think that it's been improved upon in the last three years.

openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html

It's worth a try for free, and it can be uninstalled clean if you don't want it.

asking again, any PSUs with 1000-1200w recommendations?

I need a new(replacement; can be used) psu. Specs at bottom.

It should be able to power dual 1080TIs. I've read online that 850W is the minimum for that sort of thing, so I'd like to be safe and get something around 1000-1200W. I also need it to last me for the next 5 years or so.
I don't know what brands to trust as the last PSU I used was made by coolmax and lasted me about 5 years and just conked out on me. That seems like a good sign, but I just don't know if coolmax is the right company to put my faith into again. It was a semi-modular psu but I think I might want to go full-modular.

SPECs
what psu should I get that meets these qualifications?
>1000-1200W
>semi/full modular
>4 6+2pin OR 8pin pci-e connectors (included with the system I mean. I suppose I could purchase them separately)
>will need 6+ sata power connectors, probably 2 cables with branches would be enough
>usb 3.0 connector
>4pin cpu connector
>lasts 5 years without a warranty
very important last part

>used for $150 on ebay/wherever someone can ship it to me

I can't do anything at home without one so the sooner the better. I've already spent a year getting to where I am now without one, but at least now I have a better job + pay which actually allows me to save. Still, I must admit its really a matter of patience now and I'm at the end of my tether. I'm considering getting the monitor + gpu on 3 months no interest payments and buying the rest. I could afford it without stressing (made an excel to plan) but debt seems irresponsible to me.
Nah I didn't sell it. I had just reached enough to buy my planned build but the money went to surgery.

Hey, sqt!
What book should I get to learn if I already grasp the basics on C?
Maybe to go on more practical things, to learn how to make and use visual interfaces to do simple things.

Also something to program stupid things like auto-sending emails or taking certain information from webpages and such.

There are a lot of things there, i know, and the one who grabs a lot... But anyways, the basic thing is I picked up RAD studio XE8 and I don't know how to use these new shiny buttons and forms and etc.

Does https only transmit the domain, not any part of the actual path? if I visit example.com/test all that is seen MITM would be example.com in the client hello, same goes with example.com/?test=1 right?

each name is tied to a unique number

these name/number combos are arranged in a BINARY TREE such that
>the # of the name on the left is always less than the # of the name at the top of the node
>the # of the name on the right is always greater than the # of the name at the top of the node

I want to write a program that, given the name of a "top node", will list IN ASCENDING ORDER the #s of all people "below" that person in the tree.

I'm doing this in Racket.

Can someone verbally explain what my base case and iterative steps will need to be?

I've tried
if (left and right child nodes are empty), return empty list
else (?????)

but can't seem to get that structure working...

any help would be appreciated

do 128gb microsd cards work with clip+?

Get a Seasonic if you can. EVGA also Pretty Gud. Rosewill (Newegg house brand) actually makes decent budget PSUs, but check customer reviews on specific models. Rule of thumb: if the total 4-egg plus 5-egg reviews on newegg are 80% or higher, and there's more than 35-40 reviews (for best statistics), it's a fair to good bet. 90% plus is solid, 70%-80% worth looking at while being cautious.

$150 for a 1000 watt PSU is pretty aggressive optimism these days, especially since you want at least a Gold rated, with Platinum being preferred. Don't be married to full modular at that price range; you don't need it anyways if you have a functioning brain. If you see a 900 watt PSU that you can afford with all the specs you're looking for, take it. You'll be fine ... unless you are also overclocking the shit out of CPU/RAM/and GPUs all at once.

6+2 pin connectors are no different than 8-pin, they just give you an option in case you need to put in a card that uses 6-pin (some cards take a 6-pin plus an 8-pin, so watch out for that).

USB 3.0 connector? WTF?

If you're trying to install SLI dual-cards on a motherboard and it doesn't use an 8-pin (4+4 pin, or 2 x 4-pin) connector, you are using the wrong motherboard.

>new computer
>left channel in both ears, right channel in both ears
How the fuck do i get actual stereo audio?
It's not the headphones, I get stereo when they're plugged into my phone.

I can connect to a WiFi network on one phone but it's not showing up on the list on networks on my other phone
can I get some help in a way a brainlet will understand please

Torrent sites get raided and taken down all the time due to enforcement of US laws.

Why don't these sites get hosted somewhere with no Western copyright relations, like Ethiopia? You can get African VPSs easily enough.

>thinking about getting new tv during black friday
>see 50" 4k for $X, see a different 50" 4k hdr for more $
at what point is it not worth it? it seems like it's never ending. there's basic 4k, then 4k hdr, then 4k hdr oled? im pretty tech savvy, but ignorant when it comes to tvs. is 4k alone good enough, or do i need oled/hdr for future proof?

my budget is prob $800 CAD

1. Are the phones different? The wifi might be 5ghz as opposed to the older 2.4ghz. One phone might not support 5ghz.

2. The wifi id isn't being broadcast so you might have to enter the name manually on the phone that can't connect.

>USB 3.0 connector? WTF?
I forgot the thing I was thinking of isn't a psu cable, just a runner from mobo to case i/o.

>If you're trying to install SLI dual-cards on a motherboard and it doesn't use an 8-pin (4+4 pin, or 2 x 4-pin) connector, you are using the wrong motherboard.
I bought this mobo like 5 years ago and I'm going to slowly upgrade now. i7 3770 w/ 4pin connector. psu died so it really was the catalyst for me buying new parts

to be more specific the one its not showing up on is start actually. it always worked fine until it just went out this afternoon
I tried adding it manually but it doesn't even give me the option to connect,its just at the bottom of the list with no bars

>is start
Phone posters curse, its a tablet I meant

I'm having trouble with data modelling.

any good tutorials you guys would recommend?

Is anyone here insane enough to have tried rebuilding a lithium battery? As in give it new cells, possibly reset the EEPROM on the controller board, and be about their merry way?

>inb4 enjoy your housefire
I'm not ballsy or stupid enough to solder directly to cells. I'm still retaining proper voltage across all cell pairs, but somewhere on the controller it's halting the flow of power.

Ceramique 2 or MX-2, there's probably no practical difference. AS5 has a great rep, but these days it's usually 2-3 degrees down the list from the more cutting edge shit.

Don't know nothing about the Xigmatek. I'd doubt it's better than the top two I suggested. As you're probably aware, thermal paste is nearly a meme. Mayonnaise and cum work. At least until they dry out. Ceramique 2 & MX-2 should go for years before they dry out, unless you really cook your gear hard.

enjoy your housefire

Hey Sup Forumsuys. I'm having trouble torrenting.

>Run Windows 7 x64 in VirtualBox VM.
>Bridged network.
>Share host HDD with guest via VirtualBox.
>Have access to IPT
>Have Google Fiber, using GS108t method, no botnetbox
>Port forward using Tomato router.
>Transmission randomly loses says port is closed when checked, and stops uploading/downloading.
>Deluge didn't work at all.
>uTorrent stops downloading.
>qBittorrent "stalls" but works fine until that point.

What the actual fuck am I doing wrong? Something is fucked up? I was doing this a few months ago with a different machine, and it worked fine. What the hell man? I'm pulling my hair out over this.

Tried libre office, a few online tools, Microsoft word (already installed), PDFill, and Acrobat DC Pro. The damn thing is protected so I guess fuck me, I'll just make copies of the entire document and only fill that page.

Why not just use a VPN you cuck?

What's the point of using a VPN with a private tracker?

Lets say I have a table In SQL that is holding some foreign keys allongside some arbitrary data.

How do I insert new values into it since it wont allow me to just insert into the relevant data, and tring to modify the foreign keys violates the constraints?

You didn't say you were using a private tracker nor did I know what IPT meant.

FUCK YOU

IPTorrents (private tracker)

lol

Good music management systems?

I have like 100+GB of music that is currently sorted into folders, but would like to manage it via something like iTunes or something. I currently use iTunes 10.4 since it has the home sharing option for your network, but none of the genius bar/store crap being pushed on you and the interface is pretty good.

The only two things I want, are the ability to have two "master lists". Since I have music, then I have a lot of video game soundtrack as well. I want to be able to shuffle through either music or video game music, so if I play my actual music I don't get vgm in the mix, and vice versa. Is just creating playlists the easiest thing to do? It also needs to be able to sync with my Ipod.

I tried MusicBee in the past, but when sorting my music through that, it actually moved my music to one folder, and took everything out of my sorted music folders. It completely fucked my music collection and it took 2 weeks to manually sort my music back into the original folders.

What's the best epub reader for Android?

I had a genuine Windows 7 key and now I'm getting spammed to activate Windows because Microshit suddenly decided that my key is no longer valid. What do? I don't even care about genuine Windows anymore, just want the notification to fuck off.

Don't buy on ebay.

pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

>Daz's Windows Loader
I had bought a key because those wouldn't work due to installing in GPT. Now I can't really be assed to reinstall since I have so much setup. Oh well.

There's always kinguin. Ebay gets a lot of MSDN keys people try to flip. MS doesn't intend for them to be used as more than testbeds so they'll randomly deactivate ones that get extended activity.

removewat works with gpt installs

Where to get an up to date version of cemu?

cemu.info/

Probably their website you dumb fuck.

Dat malware tho

I thought you had to get the latest version from patreon?

if you donate to him, you get versions a week before they're public, yes
though since they don't come out at a consistent pace, there's no telling if there is a newer version right now than the public one

if you want the new ones, donate or wait a week

What's the best value earbud for general use as well as for lifting? Looking for something that can be used wired and bluetooth.

my laptop won't charge, I reckon there's something wrong with the charging port.
is this something i can fix myself or do i need to take it to a repair shop?

Is there a Sup Forumsuide to de-bloat and de-bot W10 as much as possible?

both of these monitors are 144 Hz - 24"
>BenQ XL2411Z
>ASUS VG248QE
wich one is better?

Nobody is dumb enough to move to Ethiopia to setup a server there

You're being too paranoid about it. Try torrenting outside of the VM, or try bootloading into another OS

DDG is kike-based, located in Israel. StartPage isn't.

Why are you such an emotional beta faggot? Did I hurt your feelings?

>insulting someone for giving you directions to your home
so this is the power of r/TheDonald...

Where can I get old versions of OS X? I can't do a fucking hardware test without a recovery disc of some sort. The machine I want to test is too old to be able to connect to the Internet for that rubbish online diagnostic thing.

is there a simple URL workaround that would allow someone to see a private instagram acount?

Fuck off back to your containment board.

O&O shutup. You won't do much better without education or enterprise.

I'm looking to buy a new phone as an upgrade from my lg g flex.
I need 2 phones for myself and for work, one top range and one under 600 (paid by employer)
For the high end I was thinking about picking up an s8 and an sd card
For the mid one I don't know but I need a good one

why the fuck does moving my mouse cursor fast raise the temperature of my motherboard by 3 degrees?

hey guys, i need to learn how to make a website and make it live in as little time as possible.

it's just a plain html with text and pics that i need to upload.

please point me in the right direction.

thanks.

watching House
this is apparently a bug, how does it work?

Is FAT in format options of windows10 the same as FAT16?

I only have options: NTFS/FAT/FAT32

I need it to format to FAT16

that's a resistor glued to a button

Yeah, fat is 16 bits

thx senpai

you've made shitty day a bit brighter.

Get a vps and register a domain, then upload the .htm document to the server and use the domain to redirect you to said document

>Get a vps
?

>register a domain,
have one

>upload the .htm document to the server
most domain servers redirect me to website makers, which become too complex for my 70 IQ brain.
i'm STUCK HERE.

>use the domain to redirect you to said document
?

thanks for replying, please stay with me little longer, senpai.

is there any possibility that a windows 10 update is making my cpu and mobo run a little hotter than before?

Sure if it's using more resources, doubt it though, you'd need to test CPU usage of both to find out. More likely is your ambient temperature changed, PC temperatures scale linearly with ambients, so if you were getting 50C CPU temps and your room was 20C, if you heat the room up by 10C your CPU temps would increase to 60C.

If you mean it's making load temperatures hotter, almost certainly not.

Where can I pirate W10?

A virtual private server to host the website data. Otherwise you would have to run a computer 24/7. I suppose you could try to host a server using a raspberry pi and Apache.

well my mobo used to stay at a constant temp everytime i checked it and now it runs about 8 degrees hotter

if anything, its been getting colder and the only things thats changed is that windows 10 updated

Amazon, or have another macfag make you a bootable USB

pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
If you don't mind fucking around a bit, you can go the upgrade route for an actual license.

how do I download a folder from ipfs?
installing ipfs and using ipfs get after running the daemon just takes really long and does nothing
ipget doesn't do anything either

pdftk, its a command line utility that's super easy to use and script friendly. I use it regularly to strip pages out of thousand page datasheets

what's with youtube adaway?
i've been getting youtube ads for a couple months now, anyone else got the same problem?

whats a good embed downloader of sorts ?(youtube, twitter, soundcloud, etc..)

Looking through some old password stuff and I have 'stable' and it has a number and an encryption code. Searching through pages of google with nothing. The fuck is it?

Any way to turn down the volume of the notification ping from (you)s on 4chanx?

Microsoft Toolkit can activate w10 pro, right?

YOUTUBE-DL
OUTUBE-DL
UTUBE-DL
TUBE-DL
UBE-DL
BE-DL
E-DL
-DL
DL
L

youtube-dl
works for sites other than youtube, too

ill try it thanks mang

How are Gentoo packages packaged? Are there binary packages for commonly used useflags? Can I install multiple versions of the same library at the same time?
What can I expect in terms of compile times on a dual core laptop CPU?

>Remember youtube-dl requires Python
what the fuck is that m8

alternately I'm downloading this thing
microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Is that good? I'm running W7 Ultimate right now. What W10 version am I going to get? It didn't mention it anywhere.