My entire music library is now in .opus

My entire music library is now in .opus

>it's dumb to convert from mp3 to opus
that's why I either re-ware'd what I wanted in FLAC or ripped straight off Youtube

What's your excuse to use shitty legacy formats with high latency and choked range?

Lack of autism

I'd love to use it, but android doesn't recognize it as music because it's not built in. When it's recognized natively I'll convert everything that's mp3 to opus from the flacs I've in my archive

It actually has had support for years, but for some poo reason you need to have .opus.ogg file ending for them to show up in music players.

It does? The only way I knew of was to use .mkv as a container format. My current phone (lineage based on nougat 7.1 2) doesn't even seem to support vorbis in the .ogg container, it skips the songs when I enqueue them, even when the cover is shown. Media in android is really awkward in my opinion

> acts all high and mighty
> still bounces to a lossy format
> still enjoys white noise simulators

Takes forever to switch between opus tracks on clip zip so I went back to aac.

How exactly is opus better than FLAC or mp3?

Better quality at lower bitrates. Compared to mp3 the difference is pretty significant.

What took you so long?

Worst bait in the history of Sup Forums

add a .ogg extension so that it is detected by the media parser. As I understand, foobar (I don't know about other software) uses .opus as an extension but the container is technically .ogg

Consistently less velocidensity

what is the distinction between the two?

vorbis also uses the .ogg container. I guess it's just a way to distinguish opus from vorbis using file extensions

autism is clinging on to the deprecated mp3 format. the latest version will be the final version.

opus is transparent at low bitrates & produces smaller files, thus is a better choice for mobile devices, streaming & the internet

>What's your excuse to use shitty legacy formats with high latency and choked range?
Converting mp3 to opus is just stupid and retarded torrent sites still use mp3 by default.

I, too, converted my music library to 64 kb/s Opus. True story.

I have no reason to convert my FLAC library into Opus for desktop use. I do use .ogg for music on my phone though, is ogg Vorbis or Opus?

Both.

Lossy -> lossy

Klossy -> klossy

>ripped straight off Youtube
Might as well just converted your mp3 to opus in that case.You think people that upload music to google submit wav/flac files? No, they probably submitted some iTunes 256kbps aac files, and that's what Youtube converted to Opus for your hearing "pleasure".

>thinks mp3 is "deprecated"
>caring about version numbers
>using a codec which is only more space efficient at voice only bitrates
I guess it must be nice not to bother thinking for yourself and just trusting in headlines.

>it's dumb to convert from mp3 to .opus
>that's why I ripped straight off youtube

Literally this

The Ogg format can handle both, but the standard suggests the .ogg extension for Vorbis and .opus for Opus, so your files are most assuredly Vorbis unless whatever program created your files is weird.

>only more space efficient at voice only bitrates
Do you think space efficiency and bitrate are orthogonal?

Should have said bandwidth

Converting from 320kbs CBR MP3 to 128 VBR Opus would at least reduce file size and equal quality with the new opus encoder.

youtube audio is often available as opus these days.
youtube-dl -F [url]

You still get quality loss because mp3 and opus aren't compatible. In a perfect world everyone has a bunch of flacs on their main data storage and can convert those to whatever lossy format is cool atm

I don't need an excuse, most of my music on my DAP is Opus as well.

>whatever lossy format is cool atm
>cool atm
opus is here to stay for a long time since it's a free standard, internet standard, is technologically vastly superior to other lossless formats before it (much wider range, low latency), has smaller filesize than others, and is already widely adopted by industry.

>autism is clinging on to the deprecated mp3 format

I've been using FLAC whenever possible for the past 14 or so years.

autism is sticking into lossy formats when there is absolutely zero reason to. The only time lossy is acceptable is if you use some format with extremely small space, like a 10 year old portable mp3 player (I still have one, as a backup).

>unironically this
I've got patches for SDL_mixer 1.2.10 to enable Opus output to 16-bit integer PCM (a patch for SDL_mixer II exists already, and is based on those patches)

>is already widely adopted by industry
Where?

Youtube for starters, and all modern websites which do something with sound (such as customer chat support modules) VOIPs like Skype, game audio files, streaming music services like Soundcloud...

Microsoft and Apple just need to hop onboard, they are the only big ones missing.

Soundcloud? They're using mp3 unless there's something I don't know.
Many games used vorbis for audio files in the past because of mp3 royalties, but I don't know any big game using opus, any examples?
Opus was pretty much made for VOIP so it's only natural it's getting traction there. Pretty hilarious that skype that contributed to opus a lot by gifting SILK is still not using it.

opus is natively supported in .mkv format since lollipop, and in .opus since marshmallow. read the manpages

>ripped straight off Youtube
Would you care to explain? And what did you use? The last time I checked (many years ago), youtube's quality was equivalent to an mp3 192kbps.

>or ripped straight off Youtube
why

any decently small PMP devices that support opus yet? like Ruizu X02 small

Anything that size that Rockbox supports

Lol no thanks, I'll keep using mp3 because the difference between the two is only meaningful in your little autistic head. I'll just keep listening to music and not give a shit about fucktard time wasting shit like caring about audio formats

This, who gives a fuck what the format is if it’s compressed it’s compressed. I’ll stick with V0.

>if it's compressed it's compressed
Not true in the slightest. I was able to fit a couple hundred more songs on my DAP after switching to Opus, which is a pretty big deal.

Which is better now? Opus or vorbis?

Objectively Opus, but Vorbis has much better support.

I don't care so much about support. If my Android and Rythmbox on Linux support it I'm good

You're just a retard that has absolutely no idea how comparison between lossy formats work. Technically speaking, there is an actual meaningful difference between the two formats. opus is almost transparent beginning at 96kbps and achieves transparency at 160kbps. mp3 is transparent at 192kbps. opus is a much more efficient encoder as it is able to achieve higher quality at lower bitrates.

>autism king calls others retarded

No need to be salty just because he knows more than you do. Instead of attacking him why not make a productive use of your time and educate yourself?

>caring this much about compressed formats

I use Flac for archiving my master copy of songs and I remaster them in Opus for portability between my devices.

They both serve their respective purposes.

.ogg may have more compatibility but Opus is arguably the rightful step to advancement

>making fun of people for knowing about technology on a technology board

ogg is a container, you're probably thinking of the codec Vorbis. All of my Opus music are .ogg files

My mistake.
I did indeed mean Vorbis.

My point being that Flac and Opus can co-exist because they both have different goals.
I just don't want people to start a flame war over which standard when they fill different roles and can be beneficial to eachother.

Fucking this, although opus is already transparent at 128kbps (which is better).
For you retardeds,
it means more songs, less space, equal quality.

>ogg container supports both
Is this really stupid and only causes confusion. Why did they do this ..

It's just an extension/container, in android 6.0+ iirc you can swap *.opus extension to *.ogg and the media player that couldn't play it, will now play it if it support ogg format.

Because it's just a container, we don't need a new one for a new codec, the container still does the same job. Same way I can put an h.264 or h.265 video in an mkv or mp4 container.

It's not that the media player can't play it, it's just that most media players use the android media parser which, for some odd reason, ignores .opus files.

Sorry for being a brainlet but if a file is in .ogg, can you still see if it is Opus or Vorbis? Otherwise .ogg wouldn't be so suitable for private trackers for exanple

use a program like mediainfo to look at inside media containers

The torrent description should tell you. Same way I can't tell if it's h.264 or h.265 by seeing that the movie is an mkv file.acces

This is good clarification.
Thanks!

Nice to know, desu I never searched why did that happen.

Thank you Opus/Vorbis wizards. Great thread

I don't get it, you just only use lossy formats as the original file, i mean, if I have the original file, i prefer the original file not the lossy version of it. Opus/Vorbus is great for storage and bandwidth reasons but storage is cheap, you are full of autism. I bet you don't know why there is >96kHz.

>Opus/Vorbus
Opus/Vorbis, corrected.

>or ripped straight off Youtube
stopped reading there

opus for mobile, m8
I play flac when I have access to a PC

Opus at 96kbps is good enough for my casual listening.

I listen to quality MIDIs.

I use Opus/Vorbis aswell when in the mobile, but the OP says:
> My entire music library is now in .opus

>tfw at first I used 144kbps Opus, then 128kbps and now my choice is 96kbps
it's so damn good

Opus truly is the best lossy codec. I use FLAC for listening on my PC at home, but on my phone I use Opus. MP3 is no longer going to be receiving encoder updates and Opus provides higher quality transparency at lower bitrates. There is no reason to use MP3 in 2017.

I get FLAC to future proof but I can never tell the difference on my $20 desktop speakers and with my hearing loss. If Opus was a popular distribution format I would consider getting my shit in Opus.

That said, I did the math and figured a $90 hard drive can store all the 16 bit FLACs I could ever want. Haven't even had to make that jump yet, my existing drives have enough.

95% of music uploads on YouTube began life as MP3. Most likely they get compressed again into some movie format before being converted to Opus by YouTube.

>Ripped off YT.

Damn. You're stupid.

ya it's like 10 years too late

compression is pretty much irrelevant these days now that 512gb sd cards are a thing

>having music on your phone
>not using spotify
kys retard

Is there any android music app that support opus in .opus extension?

Yes. I use GMMP and it handles opus fine.

Fuck off, turbopleb.

Any FOSS alternative?

These

What do you use for your Opus files? foobar2000?

does opus even have hardware acceleration? What is the cpu usage of a shitty sandisk player decoding mp3 vs opus?

i can play opus on my ~7 year old galaxy s2, wtf

foobar

Hardware decoders probably exist, but it's just fucking audio.
It takes nowhere near the computation power than something like video, so hardware acceleration is just not important.

so you'd rather drain your battery to save 500k of space?

>Drain your battery
What a ridiculous overstatement.
I play music on my phone quite a bit, and it has absolutely no noticeable impact on battery life.
The phone idle itself is significantly more.

I don't even know if they even bother with hardware decoding for any audio codec in modern smartphones. It's just so inconsequential.

not everyone uses a phone. Some people use a sansa clip

>raughs at you

It's a free format. Why would that be relevant?

i hope ur ripping from official auto generated videos and not user uploaded vids

>The phone idle itself is significantly more.
Your shovel probably has over 2000mAh battery. My sansaclip has 290mAh.
I care about CPU cycles.