People don't use linux because no software support

>people don't use linux because no software support
>no software support because people don't use linux

Seriously will this ever change?
How do we break the cycle Sup Forums?
I can dump the few games I'm still playing, but I can't dump software or be forced to use shitter free alternatives.
Is everything just doomed from the start?

One day Microshaft will fuck up

Linux has enough software to make it worth it in my opinion.

This.
This isn't 2005 anymore. Apart from gayms, elite DAWs and other proprietary crap, there is all the software you need.

linux is perfect for anybody who isn't some gaymer or "artist". it's not a coincidence both gaymers and "artist" are shit either.

This. It has all the software you'd need.

Exactly. It's a great platform for software development, art, server shit, hacking, general purpose use, and shitposting
I heard Kdenlive and blender for video editing are getting pretty good as well.

imo linux will be the best opt for server purposes forever. But in 4, 8, etc K monitors era it's serious problem when no scale option is enable

I know Unity had this, I saw it showcased on some review of a System76 lappy. That said, since Unity is going away, I have no idea if GNOME offers this.

I prefer Shotcut. Also, daVinci Resolve is now available on Linux.

It depends on which de you are using, but I think you can manualy edit the xorg config to enable scaling

It's quite sad if only unity allows to scale the monitor. Does anyone know anything about such tools for Cinnamon, Mate, Gnome, KDE (sheet), etc...?

i;ve tried to do this. It didnt work properly for me (Linux Mint MATE 17)

This.
I am a independent artist/animator who work with Linux as daily driver.

tell me about it bro!

Yeah! I'd love to hear about it!

Just set your resolution lower using xrandr

Great tool, especially for tiling WMfags like me who don't want a GUI tool for this.

>One day Microshaft will fuck up
Linux adopted systemd, so it seems that linux is fucking up first. It was nice while it lasted tho, and I hope the other kernels will get some support now.

show portfolio and list with used software
half the stuff i use are not compatible with linux, so you have to use shit like blender

The younger generation will be the ones who bring Linux up to speed. Older folk do not care, and why should they? Why fix something that isn't broken.

>there is all the software you need.
it doesn't even have a device manager.

Every release is a fuck up since 2000. Even WP gone far enough to crash and burn, so we can expect MS became a cloud company and selling long term support only for corporations (LTSB is an example), while the telemetry shitshow and beta testing will be the average ms brainlet's job and his version can be free as in beer too.

Neither does MacOS.
Gee it's almost like different operating systems have different tools for performing certain tasks!

Linux is a kernel. Many people use it in Android.

pls show your work

people use linux. you are just mad because you dont understand how to use google to troubleshoot, or how to get decent hardware

>or how to get decent hardware
Like T61s? :^)

even hardware isn't that much of a problem anymore
a 2gb live image has the drivers to use all the basic hardware in a laptop

MacOS being shit is no excuse for Lunix to be shit.

That's is like stopping a serial killer by hoping he cuts himself.
People are so locked in to Microsoft nobody cares about small fuckups. They can literally treat users like children and nobody cares.

GNU plus Linux is everywhere, m8. You use it without even being aware its there. Did you mean for desktop use?

We have udev. It is much better than whatever windows uses.

>Seriously will this ever change?
GNO.

It's already changing. Linux for desktops is in the best spot its honestly ever been in.

> Commercially supported distributions and mature desktop environments that feel modern
> Drivers after a lot of reverse engineering from the community just "werk" out of the box (this used to be a complete, insane nightmare)
> Microsoft starting to support and heavily rely on linux for their cloud enterprise shit
> Web apps meme means better portability across all platforms and more work that can be accomplished in the browser
> A lot of optimism and newfound interest for linux as of late

The only weak spots right now is where people rely on some piece of proprietary software that isn't available on linux (i.e. programs like photoshop or MS Office), or games since they have to run close to the hardware for performance. If enough people fold though, I could see adobe or microsoft supporting their software suites for linux in upcoming years.

>elite DAWs

Even that's changing. Bitwig is supported on linux which is absolutely competitive with other DAWs like ableton, FL or Logic. And for video editing there's now daVinci Resolve; Changing times, feels good man.

This has turned into the most wholesome thread I've ever seen on Sup Forums.

>has all the software needed
>except all the proprietary software
So, like, all software?

Yeah good luck using that Autocad or Photoshop on that loonix distribution brah. Also you wanna code in .NET and have a job? Well thought shit nigga you can't. Wanna make some iOS applications? Uhhhh. Wanna be a game developer? Well no one uses Loonix for games. Wanna produce music and you work in something audio related? Lmao gl on that loonix stuff.

>using autocad
>using photoshop
>using .net
>making ios apps

Yeah it's called having a job and working in what the market searches for. It's not like you know what I am talking about.

>having a job that requires making ios apps using .net, photoshop and autocad
I think you are pretending, user.

>taking braindead b8 this hard

Spoken like a true wagecuck who lives 24/7 in his boss' bubble.

>autocad
Yeah that's one area GNU/Linux could improve
>Photoshop
GIMP and Krita.
>code in .NET
Afaik you can do that on Loonix too.
>iOS
Kill yourself
>No one uses Loonix for games.
Dear Diary,
Today, I learned that the Linux-native games in my Steam Library are not games. That's right! Torchlight 2? Not a game. Everything Valve ever made? Not games. Divinity: Original Sin? Not a game. Insurgency? Nope! System Shock 2? Fuck no.
>Audio.
Doesn't Ubuntu have a studio version for this purpose?

>having a job in any of those domain is bad
>using wagecuck unironically

Being a freeloader is pathetic lad. After your parents will be no more and your only source of income will disappear I promise if I see you on the streets I will spare some change,but only if you sing me the "Software Freedom" song.

>That's right! Torchlight 2? Not a game. Everything Valve ever made? Not games. Divinity: Original Sin? Not a game. Insurgency? Nope! System Shock 2? Fuck no.
If only they ran as well as they do on Windows.
Most ports are shitty
drivers are shitty
Linux for games is shitty

Do you even use linux or are you just retarded?

>Today, I learned that the Linux-native games in my Steam Library are not games
Maksimum productivity saved once and for all.

Yes, but I have to use GPU passthrough to a Windows guest to play games.

>just "werk" out of the box
not really

For you, but whatever.

he's right
some distros use nouveau by default which can often stop it from booting
"just werks" my ass

>For you
and everyone with a gpu not supported by the open drivers

I use intel and don't give a shit about nvidia fuckery. I wait for ayymd for realease a good apu, but still love how advanced testing does the intel with every supported kernel version.

Did GIMP become these open-close panels with tools?

If linux could play video games and do it the same as windows I would use linux 100%

well people who want to play games will probably not be using intel and if the nvidia drivers are shit it is going to give them a bad experience, should they try linux

it's shit made and used by edgy LBGTQRST faggots. it is practically useless for everything but programming and running servers. too bad people have standards, otherwise linux might have actually made it into the mainstream.

hmm, now that i think of it, maybe that isn't true. maybe the real problem isn't linux, but the people. maybe there is some way to force people to accept linux regardless of whether or not it meets their "standards". like some sort of action that would force business, governments and other institutions to affirm linux, and to choose it over other alternatives by decree. after all, it comes with SJWzilla ANTIFAfox by default, and stuff like that. surely that must count. people may lose some quality and efficiency when working, that's true, but at least they can sleep well knowing they're not racist. or white.

Sup Forums should look into this (although I'm pretty sure a lot of You already have).

If you're referring to the fact that GIMP has a shit ton of floating windows for its panels, you can either keep it like that, or disable it, making it a single window.

Doom 3 and Quake 4 works well. Aside that i don't have much time for gayming and the steam prices are just pure abomination towards the users.

I didn't mean that, or maybe. Like selection tools in one panel or icon, and if you click the icon it shows you these tools. Just like in Photoshop.

Shitpost all you want but drivers for linux have come a really long way. If you had a wireless internet card, good luck getting that to work properly 5 or 6 years ago.

Calm down, user...

Not the point.
Linux is still playing catch-up with stuff Windows had for ages.

I don't want viruses and blobs that much.

I don't care about blobs much
and Common Sense is cross-platform.

Nice meme. I still can't stand windows and never will. I still laugh at xp how could i bear with its shitty ux.

It's not a meme.
I don't remember the last time I used any anti-virus, but it must have been over 10 years ago.

>I still can't stand windows and never will.
That's fine, just don't try to mislead people into using Linux distros when it isn't as painless as a lot of people here make it sound.

When it catches up with Windows, people will naturally switch.

t. dualbooting since Vista

>muh systemd meme
Only a small minority of autist extremists give any fucks about that. Go kill yourself retard.

If you don't use how the fuck can be sure about not being infected? There are very stealth ones too.
>When it catches up with Windows, people will naturally switch.
No legions of salesman or advertising for that, so i doubt it. It was funny when i installed linux on my mom rig, she liked it so much, she installed linux on grandpa's netbook too. This is how linux spreads, while fucking windows is on almost every machine in wallmart. Fuck that. The desktop os market is rigged.

I don't browse shady stuff in Windows, and keep my stuff on ext partitions.
Also, backups.
I installed Mint for my grandma too.
For solitaire and browsing recipes it's ok.
But for people who want to use it for more things it starts to be a problem compared to Windows where most of the programs and support is.

Hopefully one day it'll get there. But right now, it isn't even close to replacing it entirely.

I thought you are not just a troll.

Don't pretend linux is not advancing. More and more people are using it thanks to things like the Raspberry Pi.

This^
When I was using Windows like 80% of the software what I used where ports from gnu+linux so when Windows 10 come out I ditched it and installed ubuntu.

build your own OS

Have you considered pressing the F1 button?