/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
vimeo.com/163838793

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

triggering new omega fangays.
Only vintage omegs
as are worth it

Vintage omega master race

>Omega finishing isn't immacu...

What tools do I need to clean and polish functional-but-ugly watches?

I already have a pretty complete kit for (dis)assembly and servicing, but nothing for refurbishing.

This one is second hand not new right? It looks like someone took a wire brush to the polished surface. No way this is new and on a store.

It is clearly not

i miss this style

Good OP pic, what movement is that? That see through plate looks really cool

Tell me what's wrong.

What is wrong here?

Oof. It looks like it was cut out with a dull punch.

which one do you like better?

TIMEX. RIPOFF.

yeah thats a no from me.
the date window isnt cut correctly

The lumed bezel seems very distracting.

>not realizing all luxury is a meme

Why did you circle those areas?

pelagos makes me cream my pants. if i wasnt so poor id get a LHD.
The omega is such a meme diver. Display caseback? small lume? only tiny lume pip on the bezel? no thanks.

Thanks for pointing it out, I only looked quickly.

Not that user but look at the punched out hands.
Are the marks on the polished metal because the owner doesnt know how to clean a watch or is it the finishing? Benefit of the doubt there.
The top edge of the coin edge bezel looks like shit for the style the watch is going for. For a utilitarian tool watch it's fine but not for a "dressy" diver.

I just moved into a nice new house with cherry wood doors and expensive door handles; shit I would NEVER pick out myself.

And boy, that shit is fucking NICE.

Luxury is definitely not a meme, it is the highest human aspiration.

Picked up my two Crystrons from the post office. One of them has this movement, and it's fucking amazing. Unfortunately it doesn't work, and I couldn't find a service sheet anywhere, so it'll a bit of a challenge to get it working again.

It looks like the rotor, or the next wheel after it has an indexing finger like on a fucking Accutron. Crazy stuff. Also I now have six white-dial JDM watches from the 70's. Thanks for ruining me financially, Yahoo.jp.

ok ill admit that looks more like wear and tear now that i lok at it. doesnt excuse the uneven rehauts omega puts out. or the poorly finished edges of the hands and markers.

>people drive fancy ferraris, cant they see my 1995 honda accord is just as good?

>Omega finishing isn't spectacu...

>Omega finishing isn't top tie...

>the hands are stamp...

The Omega again.

The Tudor fanboy revealed himself to be clueless retard armchair horologist.

lol. sure buddy.

You can literally see the underside of the minute hand in the reflection on the hour hand.
That is some high high polish.

Nice fake, Seiko male.

wow what great finishing on those hands.

how is it fake lol. thats omegas AMMMAAAAAAZING finishing. so high quality.

yeah me too user.. me too

pelagos is the better watch

>it's a watch
>it's shiny and keeps time

I'm having trouble getting information on the 8620 - is it different from a standard dare stepper motor quartz?

Fucking nasty.

wtf is that? is thst just dust?

My first dive watch, next be a doxa i think

>N...no user its class finishing!

TFW my new SNE437 is literally a better watch than an omega or rolex in every way

>perpetual calendar
>runs for 20 years on just the sun
>set it down for a week, still exactly on time
>superior fit and finish
>red stripe on the windy knob so you don't over tighten it and break it like a rolex

nice. even those fish are 'mirin. where at?

>SNE437
wayyyy too fucking big
quartz
better than a rolex

holy fuck is this the same omega troll fucking up these last two threads?

TFW waiting on my Seiko j in the mail

Can I play this autism game too? Find a flaw.

>wayyyy too fucking big
cuck manlet detected

>it's 3mm bigger than a rolex

my sides

>better than a rolex

it is literally better in every functional way

That was in lanzarote this year

pls respond Sup Forums

Who keeps doing this?

Why did i respond to your first bait? how stupid can i be?

we asked you what models you ordered in the last thread and you ignored us

That's the result of alternating brushing/polishing.

There cannot be a straight line, because the brushing consists of peaks and valleys.
What you're seeing is in fact desirable.

See pic; zaratsu polishing on a grand seiko (arguably the best case polishing horology has to offer).
You see the exact same effect.

Honestly I'm not sure either, I can't find any info, and I haven't taken it apart yet. It seems like the rotor isn't the now common, turning 180°/pulse one, but one that takes a few more pulses for a full rotation. Also I have no idea why that screw has a red paint seal on it or that am I allowed to EVER unscrew that.

Isnt that the LAMO HUGE one? But pretty perfect 2bh

>Who keeps doing this?

yeah it only looks great and runs for 20 years without service or winding

not as good as rolex that you have to wind every other day or it will die and needs a $1000 service every 5 years

This border between brushing and polish isn't nearly as clean as on the Omega and Grand Seiko.
See and

I literally can't

That example is like a tenth as deep as the omega. That example is next to nothing vs the pitts on the omega. Next to nothing is desirable, massive valleys aren't.

pls go try to troll some retarded people on pol or something

The Invicta tier numerals are a pretty huge flaw if you ask me.

Is it really perpetual calendar? Or was that just part of the trolling?

>pls go try to troll some retarded people on pol or something

Posting the perfect diver in a watch thread is trolling?

I'm sorry, I cant hear you over the sound of how awesome the solar SNE437 is

better than some of their other newer designs but the only problem with it is the general size imo. Finishing seems pretty perfect.

>Is it really perpetual calendar?
yes

great functionality with looks to match in a package that will run untouched for 20 years without service

yeah i know that. But neither of those are nearly as gritty as the omegas lines. Their brushing seems to be too deep and uneven imo.

>cape cod cloth

this changes the geometry of your watch right? I'm not sure it will work for spot buffing

take a chisel to that nasty cyclops. nasty
only if you do it wrong but yeah, not for spot buffing

No. The 39mm reference has the EXPLORER text at 6 o'clock instead of 12 and has the ROLEXROLEXROLEX engraving around the edge.

It's 36mm my dude

Yeah I guess so

How can you possibly remove a scratch without removing at least a little bit of material? Just accept that scratches and dings are inevitable.

The Omega's and Grand Seiko's are uniform; while the Rolex's appears less so, exacerbated by the uneven border.

See for the Omega's perfectly uniform brushing.

Interesting. Let us know what you find out.

my bad. didnt see that lume. Thought it was polished.

get the pelagos friend.

this makes me a bit sad. Did you sell the second pelagos for a mememaster 600? or did you already have that one? at least its not one of the bad ones.
also
>inb4 THAT STRAP DOESNT FIT
its made that way plebs.

It's not lume it's white paint for some inexplicable reason. Only the very newest 214270 Explorer has lume on the numbers but it has the same reference as the previous 214270 which has solid polished numbers. Rolex likes to make confusing production changes without changing the reference number.

no, I had the PO before either Pelagos.
Just didn't need or want both pelagos versions. Selling the PO to fund the new 39mm Explorer w/ lumed 3,6&9

did someone say confusing production changes?!?!?

>pitts on the omega.
>massive valleys
What the fuck are you talking about?
The brushing is beautiful on the Omega, see pic.

>Seiko males and Swatch males screeching at each other

I'd like some new straps or nato's for my SARB035,

which are the better sites to buy from? Preferably UK

The criticism is coming from people who have never owned or handled the watch.
My PO has better finishing than the Rolexes I've owned in the past (36mm explorer & Sub)

>All case edges severely lozenged
>Polished surfaces show significant 3D distortion
Yeah, no thanks.

And if it's the coarseness you don't like, then stay the fuck away from the Pelagos.

lmao
Hope you're only thinking vintage doxa, user. Because otherwise you're just buying more chinkmande shit with bad qc and an overinflated price.

It came out a few years ago, big stink on dive watch enthusiast forums, that modern doxa's swiss HQ address was literally just a post box, and that the parent company's sister company located in shenzhen or whereverthefuck, was an OEM watchmaker that used doxa watches on their website advertising, pretty much confirming long held suspicions that probably the base allowed minimum of a doxa watch was actually swiss, the rest being budget chinese.

Big stink online, some forum went under because of it (might ahve been the official doxa one? can't remember).

Doxa is a fucking joke whose only modern claim to fame is that they're shilled hard as fuck by clive cussler in his in-flight/shitty holiday reading book series for old men and by matthew mackyonnaise after he played the main character in the film based off the aforementioned author's shitty indiana jones ripoff books.

Buy doxa only if you're a chump, or a german which amounts to the same thing these days really.

>>All case edges severely lozenged
What?
Look at The angles are very deliberate and proportioned.

>>Polished surfaces show significant 3D distortion
Except that's perfectly normal and desirable.
See pic; a Grand Seiko with zaratsu polishing.

Do you seriously not see a difference here?
One is almost a straight line that detours slightly the other is fairly smooth with a couple of large blemishes that stock out.

Christ that PO looks noticeably better externally finished than the Seamaster 300.

>tudor looks like an invicta mod

L E L

Omega fan gays in this thread are serioisly insane.
No one is saying the omegas finishing is actually bad, just that it isnt as good as similarly priced watches nor is it good for a divers watch. A Pelagos is factually a better divers watch. One could only argue the seamaster would be better if you arnt actually diving/swimming with it.
Jesus christ, it's like swatch outsourced their shilling to china too?

The difference is one is going for a rough utilitarian tool finish and has it, the other is going for the opposite and doesn't achieve it. Do you get it now?
A ding in a new Ferrari is still a fucked Ferrari but a ding in a 1970's Toyota is expected and acceptable.
One of these watches seeks itself as something and hits the mark, The other falls flat of what it's trying to sell itself as.

Isn't it fascinating how real world pictures of Seamaster 300s have much more rounded edges than the studio shots?

Those crisp precision machined and brushed surfaces are sexy as hell.

a better analogy would be like a sports car vs like a hum V but good point.
He can only use stock shots because this omega moron can only preach from his premade swatch talking points on their websites. He has no idea what he is talking about and he hasnt handled a pelagos nor seamaster300

>sloppy crude finish

>i-it's u-utilitarian!

tudorfags everyone

You are delusional.

>doesn't achieve it
What?

There are no rounded edges visible. Partly because the edges you're talking about are out of focus.

But these were made by a private owner if you want to compare.

They sure are.

How about we just settle on the fact that Omega has better case finishing, but Rolex has better movements and fitting.