Why aren't you running the best Arch based distribution Sup Forums?

Why aren't you running the best Arch based distribution Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/General_recommendations
classicforum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=14470.0
classicforum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=21554.0
github.com/manjaro/pamac/issues/172
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenRC
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Arch based
answered your own question there

nice macToddler aesthetic

>using amd64 processors
32 bits are enough for me thx

Because the package managers are gonna be like "what the shit is neofetch" and tell me that all I can install is sl and cowsay.

Why must arch users always point out they use arch?

Sorry I misread. Manjaro linux.

Shitty distro for a shitty person.

I'm currently running Arch but I'm thinking about doing a fresh install once I get a new computer. I'm considering Manjaro because I don't want to deal with the hours of pain that went along with getting it configured and installing all of the software that I actually use since I've forgotten most of the tweaks I had to do to get half of them to actually work. Is Manjaro a good choice? Or should I just stick to Arch and deal with it.

Because the devs are unbelievably incompetent morons.

>I don't want to deal with the hours of pain that went along with getting it configured and installing all of the software that I actually use
here's your confirmation to forego Arch and install Manjaro.

it's pretty good at detecting hardware and you'll have a working environment right after install.

Use Antergos. Manjaro is more like Ubuntu than arch and kind of defeats the purpose of having an Arch distro by shipping bloated and with outdated software.

Antergos ISO boots into a live Arch environment with the Gnome DE, and installs arch to your computer along with one of 6 fully featured Desktop environments of your choosing. It will install proprietary video drivers for you as well. It's a fully working desktop as soon as its finished installing.

Disregard fags. Use Antergos instead. Manjaro ships with dirty perverted outdated kernels that it has sex with for money, and comes installed full of bloatware it picked up sleeping around.

*ahem*

sudo yaourt

> Arch based
> macOS icons/theme
> 2 panels
Fucking retard.

>Why aren't you running the best Arch based distribution Sup Forums?
oh, you mean arch? i am.

>Manjaro is more like Ubuntu than arch
pic related

>bloated and with outdated software
pools are nice. muh bleeding edge.

>perverted outdated kernels
LT stable is bad. it has a tool to let you pick your kernel anyhow.

>full of bloatware
again, usable software is useful. op said he wants pre-installed software

Manjaro's greatest strength is mhwd (makes installing drivers a breeze) and easy kernel switching. Other than that, it's effectively a preconfigured Arch with loads of packages built in, and delayed updates (~2 weeks compared to Arch) for stability. Some might consider it bloat, some might consider it useful (as I have).

forgot pic, like Arch forgets to be useful

I prefer Arch Anywhere over Antergos, some of Antergos' defaults are just plain stupid and I have to rip em out and put em back in. Arch Anywhere on the other hand allows me to tweak the system much more easily.

ok honestly, why not just install arch then? its really, truly, not hard at all.

Antergos comes with useful software, manjaro comes with hexchat

why do all the work when Antergos does everything I was going to do anyways except theming to my own personal taste?

>its really, truly, not hard at all.
so much this. install takes like 30m tops. the real work is doing all the "General Recommendations" stuff AFTER the install.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/General_recommendations

>two taskbars

yea, honestly i can't understand why OP doesnt just install macos and be done with it

>hexchat
>not useful
muh cli autism

I'd say the biggest pain I had while using Arch was trying to get Steam to work. I remember needing to delete most all of the shared libraries that Steam came with, editing some operating system info file so that some Stream script correctly identified the operating system as 'other', and the aliasing "steam" to "steam-native." And then after that worked I had a few games that broke because an update deleted a legacy libcurl shared library so I had to manually put it back until it fixed itself with another update a few weeks later. I heard that Manjaro comes with Steam so that alone is a compelling argument.

Antergos offers the option to install steam, fully featured and working out of the box, as well as being capable of detecting and downloading the drivers for your GPU during the installation process or after if you prefer.

COOL DOOD

pacman -S steam
ouch that was hard my fingers are calloused and swollen from all of that labor

I am

>yaourt
No. Stop that. Telling people to use that piece of shit is wrong. Pacaur, faggot.

I am

>Pacaur
muh green table entries

>sudo
>yaourt
Please fucking end yourself. Then come back to life, install Pacaur and then kill yourself again.

pre-installed in Manjaro

i use yaourt because it's fun to say
hehe... yaourt

my problem with arch-anywhere is that it can be too barebones at times, and I end up having to install a bunch of shit myself like codecs and drivers, also I fucking always need to reinstall network manager and fiddle with the login manager.

you don't use sudo with yaourt you fucking ape, it asks for your root password upon build anyway, actually by default it asks you 35 questions per build, pacaur just does its job without conf tinkering.

*click pamac icon*
*search and select steam*
ouch that was hard my mouse is broken from all of that clicking

pre installed in antergos, and you don't need to update after cinchi finishes

...you had to type more and click, are you a retard? In the time it takes you to search steam, it would already be installed via terminal.

.... I can't argue with you there. Literally made an alias so I could still type yaourt but it actually uses pacaur, just because I like the sound of yaourt more.

b-but I want to type pacman -Syu to feel like l33t h4xx9r

>best
>a distro so dumb that when their site's SSL certs expired they told users "just dial your clocks back a week; it'll be fine"

i use antergos and pamac always starts whenever i turn on my computer and i can't figure out how to disable it it's fucking annoying because i only use it for searches when idk the name of a package

that's why my mouse broke retard

>search steam
oh look bonus packages I never knew about

>inb4 pacman -Qs steam

do you use a de? if so which one? some of them have an autostart settings area where you can uncheck programs to stop them from starting on startup

kde
yup I've already checked there but to no avail

>pacaur -Ss steam
>wow my poor fingers, they've been worked to nubs!!

>inb4 pacman -Ss typo

since i'm not an arch elitist, i'll help. try this?

classicforum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=14470.0

>You can also mv from /etc/xdg/autostart/

this seemed to work for kde

I can't seem to find that menu anywhere, only the one that I already took a screenshot of
But does that only hide the tray icon and not actually stop it from running?

then uncheck the 'install steam' checkbox in the Antergos cinchi installer and install it from CLI

>But does that only hide the tray icon and not actually stop it from running
oh ok. and you don't want to remove the pamac package?

it's probably a systemctl service. so you'll have to disable the service? seems to be problem though.

classicforum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=21554.0

I've tried to remove the package but it seems to be linked to an antergos metapackage so it doesn't let me. Also I would like to keep it if possible so I can use it for searching.
So if I disable the service would it still let me use it and it only disables it from startup?

Because I use Antergos, c'mon OP

>systemd
The best Arch-based distro is Artix.

>So if I disable the service would it still let me use it and it only disables it from startup?
sure, you can run any command you wish at any time. i believe a systemctl service is for auto running background daemons for convenience, like network managers or package managers like pamac

so dont use network manager. use netctl like someone who even pretends to know what they are doing.
wifi-menu -o
so hard.

the best arch-based distro is arch, you fucking child

>systemd
Nope.

also found this

github.com/manjaro/pamac/issues/172

pleb
# ip link set dev wlan0 up
# wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
# dhcpcd wlan0

When I do sudo systemctl disable pamac.service
I get Failed to disable unit: Unit file pamac.service does not exist.
what do?

(fuckin hell I wish I had just installed vanilla arch)

Try:

systemctl list-dependencies --reverse pamac.service

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenRC
Yup

i was trying to make the network-manager toddler understand

it just outputs "pamac.service"

>Arch Linux only has official support for systemd. When using OpenRC, please mention so in support requests.
Just install/migrate to Artix. Why on earth would you rely on the AUR for critical things like an init system?

ok read through this link

>network-manager toddler
typical arch elitist attitude

the following bash script also works without a .conf file
yup, it's this easy to get your wifi up and running:
ip link set dev wlan0 up
wpa_supplicant -i interface -c

Yes actually

where interface is your devices interface name e.g. wlan0
ip link set dev wlan0 up
wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c

er I'm kind of confused what they're saying in that link. so do I just delete the file that's in /etc/xdg/autostart/ or what?

I'd try:
>backup then remove the file in /etc/xdg/autostart/
>Try to also disable NetworkManager-dispatcher.service to not auto refresh databases when an internet connection is up.
>disable the systemd timer unit to generate mirrorlist monthly in pamac. sudo rm /usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/pamac-mirrorlist.timer

Ok I'll try that tomorrow since I'm mobileposting now but thanks for the help!

No prob. According to them, it works. It seems NetworkManager is weirdly the culprit:

>I succesfully deleted the timers. Thank You. If i understand correctly, if I want them back I can simply symlink them back to muli-user.target wants, correct?This concludes the issue then. It was an obscure fix however. I haven't thought about network manager having anything to do with it

get a Mac

It's not Arch based, it's pacman based... It doesn't use the Arch repos

ibus anthy doesn't work. that's pic-related. i can't learn mai japanese without it

yaourt doesn't work with sudo you dumbfuck

What's the advantage of using Mutter with xfce?

Mutter works better than compton on my system for moving windows

but I do

Because its logo is so fucking ugly it makes me want to kill myself.

anyone have this pic in a proper resolution?

needs more jpeg

nice, here's the one I had
yours is an improvement

ikr it shouldve been a mountain in the shape of an A. how stupid do you have to be to fuck that one up?

"Manjaro" sounds like a C-string illegal day laborer or something
like Juan and José were already taken so you had to settle for Manjaro

running Manjaro means that you're as comfy as the ubuntu guy but with all the perks of the arch guy