/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/ (Seach 'Intel')

====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

GPUs:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/products/N82E16824475002/specs
m.newegg.com/products/9SIA2W06DX4775
pcpartpicker.com/list/qTLMLD
pcpartpicker.com/product/j8tWGX/evga-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-6gb-ssc-gaming-video-card-06g-p4-6267-kr
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bxXKWX
tweaktown.com/reviews/7695/skill-tridentz-ddr4-3600-16gb-dual-channel-memory-kit-review/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck why is DDR4 so expensive? And realistically how much do I actually need for gaymen?

Thinking abouf building a new PC....Is it worth getting a Ryzen R5 now - eg mid cycle - or should I wait for next release?

8gb for gaming.

Typically the rule is if you dont need it right now wait for better things, unless you really feel like spending money

why do I have trouble finding ryzen ram and then when I do find it, it's expensive as fug

What kind of performance difference is there for 2x4GB in dual channel vs a single 8GB stick?

8gb for now for gaming bare minimum while not multitasking in big games. If you go 8gb i would get only 1 8gb stick and plan to get another in a year or two when it is required

i'd buy now. ryzen and pascal will last yeaaaaaars.

Unless you have a 1080+ i dont think it would matter

True but I suppose I meant will the next Ryzen R5 (specifically 1600) expected to be a huge jump or just your typical intel-inspired ‘+5%’ model??

Cause there they created an artifical squeeze by switching all CPU ram production into phone ram production.

16 gb if you want to play the latest and greatest AAA games at medium and above.
8 gb for everything else.

you shouldnt be having trouble. 99% of 3000/3200 c14/15/16 from gskill or corsair is compatible with ryzen.

5%

I Love You JPN, I Just Know Bahasa So I Keep Confusing My Word "Kapan" For "?" With Number 4.

(-∞, -6)U(6, ∞)

NOTICE ME SENPAI! BEEN KNOCKING ON ALL OVER YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD BUT I KEEP ALL HOMES ARE EMPTY!

Zen+ isn't projected to be anything special, even by AMD's own marketing.

to those of you who use UHD 1440p or 4K for your monitors. If I run a lot of legacy software am i still okay with a 4k monitor or will the resolution fuck it all up?

Explains why corsaie ram is so expensive now. Glad i got in before the most recent price spike

TY

is there any chance gpu prices will go up again?
because im saving money for a build and i don't if i should just buy a gpu now or just wait

I personally amd waiting for this retarded bubble to burst before i invest in a new gpu. It"s only a matter of time

My brother built a gaming rig back in 2011 and decided instead of upgrading he would just build a new computer and gift me the old one last year.
Away from home so no specify but

> i7 3770k
>660ti
>8g ddr3 ram
>1000w PSU
>A shitty 4x3 monitor(he kept his old one)
>500g hdd

After lurking here I've decided this is what I should upgrade:
>either 1070, 1070ti/1080
>Another 8g of ram
>500g SSD
newegg.com/products/N82E16824475002/specs
Are there any brands I should look for or avoid?

Go with your budget. Nvidia aftermarket are so alike in performance that it rarely matters.

Try to get fast ram, something like 2133 etc.

Why are the OP builds all using micro ATX mobos? Is it just price?

can someone link me an m.2 form factor thats not for a fucking laptop?

But is there really any point in that if I'm only getting another 8g and the one already in there is ddr3?

a 1080 with that processor would be a waste

Never.

>mfw CAPTCHA Is Just Feeding Pidgeons, Why Not TrollZ4Lolis?

Because They Should Be Knocking On My Front Door BEFORE/DURING/AFTER I read This!

因為他們應該是敲我的前門之前/過程中/後,我看了這個!

A 1280x1024 monitor from 2001 is also a waste, What monitor do you suggest?

1080p 144hz

depends on what kind of games you play, rather you work with image or video editing, etc.

I didn't realize I broke the link trying to hide the fact I was on mobile, I was planning on getting this monitor that's posted on here occasionally
m.newegg.com/products/9SIA2W06DX4775

the asus mg248q is better and its the same price

I am looking for something to replace a decade old vista machine. I would like to spend $450-$600 on the tower itself. I will probably be using Ubuntu or some sort of linux.

Due my most modern gaming device is a PS3, I would like to be able to do some gaming, but I am not very interested in more recent releases, so I doubt I'll be running to play crysis 35 1/2 ant supra ultra settings. Off the top of my head, probably witcher 3,metro redux,xcom 2. I can't think of anything newer honestly.

Besides that it will be primary used for web browsing and consuming media. I would also like to have a CD drive for convince.

What sort of stuff should I be looking for with these parameters? I'm not very knowledgeable with all the technical details with components.

>I would also like to have a CD drive for convince.
Just go to Best Buy grandpa.

thats mean

pcpartpicker.com/list/qTLMLD
you're welcome

Okay, pcbg, it's new computer time. I have it narrowed to either i7 8700k or Ryzen 1700. My understanding is with both overclocked, the 8700k is about 30 percent faster in single threaded apps and for multithreaded, despite the Ryzen having two extra cores, because of the i7's faster single threaded speed, they're about the same. Is this true so should I spend the extra $100 or so on the Intel chip? My needs require good single and multithreaded performance, btw.

what are your needs exactly? for pure performance the 8700k wins, but the extra cores and threads of the 1700 is really useful for gaming while streaming, and video editing. also, you'd be paying around $300 less at the end of the day with the 1700.

what's your budget?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/qTLMLD
thanks

Needs are a little offbeat but I make affiliate sites and trade crypto. Thing is I have an automated site building system so I'm usually building 10 or 20 sites at a time which adds up to a lot of CPU usage so multicore speed is a must. For trading, I'm running a lot of charts and shit but when I'm mid-trade, sometimes seconds count and the JavaScript on Bittrex likes to hang so fast single threaded speed is a must. Basically, I'm trying to make money and don't need the computer to get in the way. Budget is probably $2000. I'd go threadripper but that seems excessive.

SSD will have the biggest performance benefit for everyday use.

Graphics card will have a bigger performance for fps in games, but modern games really benefit from SSD's too when they load in data.

yeah, an 8700k build is off the table with your budget, and for your needs the 1700 makes more sense anyways.

what's your memory usage like, and how much space do you need?

Good budget AM4 motherboards? Planning on a 1600/1600x, don't need any fancy features.

Just want one that's not shite.

When you say off the table, you mean I can't afford it? Cuz if it's what I need I have the money just was hoping to not spend more than 2k. I will if I have to though. For RAM, the more the better. I already exceed my current 16 so 32gb is a minimum. Would like 64. If not now then later. SSD can be 500GB. Not much need for more there. The main question is will the 8700k be better than the Ryzen for me. If it is, I'll get it price be damned. Thanks for the help!

ASRock - AB350M Pro4

I'm just asking because I remember hearing about lot's of issues with Ryzen compatibility, performance etc. at launch

if you aren't gaming, its a waste of money. the 1700 is superior for your needs.

there were issues with ram compatibility at launch, which was fixed months ago. you'll have no issues now.

8700k a shit

Okay cool. No gaming. Sucks I'll have to get a video card with the Ryzen. The built-in GPU on the 8700k is more than sufficient for me which would actually save some money on the Intel side.

Every board manufacturer (including the real shitbirds like Biostar) updated their bios to resolve those launch issues. I've done a few dozen Ryzen builds since and haven't encountered any probs.

Fair enough. Do old AM2/3 heatsinks mount correctly on AM4? Is the mounting the same?

>would actually save some money
There are actually loads of small graphics cards better than the iGPU on the 8700k and cost less than the difference between the 8700k and the R7.

Suggestion? Was thinking maybe 750ti. It'd be nice to have enough juice to push two 4k monitors.

Why is the 1070 Ti version only slightly more expensive ? What am I missing here? It's new and had no review yet

Nope. You gotta get brackets or buy an AM4 compatible unit.

Ones that just use the clips totally do work.

I'd go with the RX550.

>paying any attention to the bogus "marked down from" price
Go to Best Buy grandma.

rx 550 or gtx 1030

I'm just curious why the price difference is so minimal. I'm not sure if there's anything I'm not seeing, I don't want to flush $600+ down the drain. Before discount the regular 1070 is actually more expensive. Is the 1070 Ti bad for mining?

just got released so the prices haven't gone up.

Cool. Thanks

what the preferred model of 1060 to get? I was planning on just getting an EVGA SC but I might get something with a better fan if it's worth it.

pcpartpicker.com/product/j8tWGX/evga-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-6gb-ssc-gaming-video-card-06g-p4-6267-kr

1060 6GB or 1070 Ti for 60Hz/1080p gaming?

I hear the 1060 is starting to get pushed to it's limit with newer games? Should I spend the extra and get a 1070 Ti ?

go with the 1070 ti so you can do 1080p 144hz comfortably in the future.

1060 isn't pushing it if you turn down meme graphics settings, especially at 1080p. Max settings are always bad, games look good enough lower.

I answered a lot of things from the last thread

Is there a need for 32gb of ram for gaming? Is 16 enough?

16 is more than enough. Some titles, I think Ark is one, really require 16gb of ram and still run like unoptimized pieces of shit. Most games wont go over 12 at worst.

HX421C14FB2K2/16 or HX430C15PB3/16?

If you're not worried about an extra $85 get 16GB of 3000-3200MHz RAM. You'll have it for a long time

None for gaming

Mostly slightly higher clockspeeds, but I'm sure it will be more than 5% improvement. They're going to 10nm from 14nm, so I'd say a 15-20% improvement of stock speeds is possible. E.g., the R5 2600 might have a base of 3.6GHz with an OC over 4

UI scaling might be a problem at 4K

They might go up again, but I think they're heading to MSRP. RAM is a bitch right now, won't be back down until next year

If you're at 1080p the most you'd want is a GTX 1070
SSD and RAM are correct

Unless you're mGPU you don't need full size

Get the same as what's already in the PC

No, the ASUS is not better. It is a TN panel, while the MSI is a VA panel.

Are you playing games in linux or using passthrough or what? You're basically looking at one of the 1080p builds in the OP for playing a game like TW3. If passthrough there are other considerations

Fuck no, retard. Why would you pair an R5 with a 1050Ti?. The most you need is an R3 with that graphics card, and anyway the 1050Ti won't play TW3 well at all.

i7 8700K, probably. You can easily do that for $2K.

Don't listen to the memers. Lots of boring trolls in these threads. It amazes me when some user asks a question and then immediately swallows a single user's answer hook, line, and sinker. You sure you're smart enough to work with stocks?

>i7 8700K, probably. You can easily do that for $2K.
Too late, already purchased the R7 build. Really feels good. Didn't want to pay MSRP+ lol.

I've always been an Intel dude but haven't built a PC in years. Building one now for game DEVELOPMENT. If cost isn't an issue is Intel a better choice? Please no fucking memes goddamn.

>No, the ASUS is not better. It is a TN panel, while the MSI is a VA panel.
what are ICC profiles

asus > msi

>>G4560/G4600

>what are ICC profiles
A waste of time

Your brand memes are pointless

If money isn't an issue, you should quiet your job and retire. No need to work bebe.

>implying I don't already work for myself

>money isn't an issue
>earning money
Pick one

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bxXKWX

am i going overboard? i want this computer to last a while and be decent for video editing and large canvas sizes in Photoshop but also be good at gaming

You're a fucking moron. If he's using a PC for actual work, it's an investment. Why do you think Quadros are like 5,000+USD?

Read the god damn OP

You think you can get the benefits of an IPS/VA panel with fucking color profiles? Good luck lol.

>ICC profiles
Lmao. Check out this moron.

Why the 7700k? 1151 is a dead socket, no upgrade potential there at all.

Don't buy those closed loop liquid coolers, it's a meme. Get a big, decent air cooler and it'll last longer and work just as well or better, and cost less. Those closed loops have a tendency to fail.

For video editing, why not go for Ryzen? More cores means faster render times, vs the 7700k.

1TB isn't very big, depending on the size of your video files...

Scrap the water cooler, get a bigger SSD or something instead.

HX421C14FB2K2/16 or HX430C15PB3/16?

Get fucking triggered shill.

Is logicalincrements still correct in saying 8gb of ram is plenty for almost any game?
I'd really rather get 8 with the current prices and then get another 8 like a year or maybe two down the line when prices have calmed down

Also is there still compatibility problems with ab350 boards and getting it to run at the stated speeds at the moment or were those just in the first few months after launch.
Not sure what ram to get with my AB350 Gaming 3

Are these sticks the best right now?
tweaktown.com/reviews/7695/skill-tridentz-ddr4-3600-16gb-dual-channel-memory-kit-review/index.html
3600MHz, CL15. Anything wrong with them? Shouldn't they be a lot better than the 3000-3200MHz mentioned in the OP?

>3600
does your board support 3600?

>8gb of ram is plenty for almost any game?
Yes
>Also is there still compatibility problems with ab350 boards
No

I just tried to install a new Vega 56 and am having a fan issue. The fan will not slow down. It is running 100% at idle. I'm using a fresh install of windows 10. I'm using the latest drivers. I tried to use speed fan to turn the fan down, but Vega doesn't care. It just keeps running at 100%. How do I make this stop?

Up to 4266 if I'm not mistaken. But definitely 3600.

>Is logicalincrements still correct in saying 8gb of ram is plenty for almost any game?
Yes. You will want to upgrade to 16 at some point for breathing room for windows overhead, discord, 100 tabs of chrome bullshit in the background, etc but definitely should be fine for now.

>Also is there still compatibility problems with ab350 boards and getting it to run at the stated speeds at the moment or were those just in the first few months after launch.

No. Just update your bios when you get it. Almost every review you see complaining about shit ram speeds have been fixed with bios updates.

Check the QVL list for your motherboard

Sometimes the fan sensor gets sticky in transit. Take the unit out and soak it in warm soapy water for a couple hours. That will probably due the trick.