What le fug is fizzbuzz and why do people fail at it?

What le fug is fizzbuzz and why do people fail at it?

Because most """"developers"""" are concerned about the latest stack or fag trend, not on serious learning about CS.

so, to write FizzBuzz you need to be serious about learning CS?
actually to be a master FizzBuzzer you need to be genius in Math.

Due to a certain popular movie, people want to learn to play the violin and join an orchestra.

"Violin playing" bootcamps spring up all around the country, claiming they will teach you how to play in 2 weeks, and that you can join an orchestra after.

Tens of thousands of people go to these bootcamps, where they roast marshmallows, look at Barney the Dinosaur episode, and have instructors tell them that they are really good at playing the violin.

Tens of thousands of people finish their two weeks courses, and go to apply for violin-playing positions in orchestras.

Orchestras are flooded with applicants who know only how to roast marshmallows and sing Barney songs.

Orchestras device a clever test: Applicants are given a picture with a violin, a piano, and a drum set, and are asked to point out the violin.

Applicants who cannot point out which is the violin, are rejected on the spot.

And that is FizzBuzz.

jej

pretty accurate

>that output
How

nice

Fucking anyone who took an intro to programming course can do this shit. I'm in an intro to CS course and I can program this shit out. It's not hard at all. How do people seriously not understand this simple shit?

Oh wow. That's pretty bang on.

Integer is an object and the == operation compares object references rather than the integers the objects represent. a100 and b100 were both set to the same cached value for performance, but that feature doesn't extend up to 1000.

Thanks user.

>naming your variables with numbers

what movie?

FizzBuzz is a game people play in schools and stuff.

Brainlets find it hard to do on interviews, when it's literally the first thing you learn in class.

this tbqh. Why would you even try and apply for a job that requires you to know a programming language if you can't even make the simplest of programs.

The worst part is that """developers""" who unironically can't solve it blame it on their "evil interviewers", because it's "useless in the real world.
True, no job will ever require you to write FizzBuzz. But it's so simple that anyone even remotely familiar to programming MUST be able to solve it if they are applying for a job that involves programming.

Fizzbuzz is way hard dude

>System.out.println(String.valueOf(i))

It also helps weeding out show-offs who think they’re too good for the classic four-clause conditional solution, people who are likely to write code that’s too clever for them to debug.

Nigga just print 'i' and why are you using atom when vscode exists?

All of this hate makes me really fucking nervous coming from a bootcamp. I did a 6 month program through a university. I can do fizzbuzz, I know about sorts, I know what pointers are, I know how to use recursion, I know linked lists. I'm not sure what I'll encounter in an interview that I don't know.

Hey Sup Forums, remember this?

>a100 and b100 were both set to the same cached value for performance, but that feature doesn't extend up to 1000.
interesting, i figured they'd both return false

So did I, hence why I asked in the first place.

You underestimate the human stupidity

Literally had an interview last week where this was one of three "problems" they wanted me to write out the code for and walk them through it

Idk why it's such a standard, but if it makes interviews easier I won't complain too hard

shes cute but man thats sad

EXTERMINATUS

We noticed that half of our job candidates had gone through some sort of after class fizzbuzz study group in Uni. Pretty much stopped using it when we realized this, it's too popular now.

We've started giving them real world stuff, they show up with their laptop and they have 2 hours to complete a micro project. Wifi is available, they can use google and whatever resource they want. We've gotten a lot better candidates doing this.

this isn't all that uncommon. python does just the same.

because a lot of the people that can't fizzbuzz earned degrees in CS or Software Engineering

this sounds a lot better

there are books dedicated to "answer these gotcha' questions that take noticing a certain quirk of the data structure to solve." If you know or notice the quirk, you can solve it in about 2 minutes. If not, you can pretty much only solve it in O(n^2) time.

death grips the videogame the motion picture

How ?

i got a student dev position because apparently i was the first to solve fizzbuzz during their interview. thanks fizzbuzz!

if you change it to

a100 = new Integer(100);
b100 = new Integer(100);

Then both would be false.
It only returns true because Java caches 0-100, so it returns it from the cache instead of creating a new object.

I can't remember exactly if it's -100 to 100 or 0-100, but the idea is the same.

Hello World programmers ladies and gentlemen.

check'd and it's a mystery to me. Some school's must just have programs without practical experience? I can't imagine making it through first semester CS without being able to FizzBuzz. Hell, even after the first 3 or 4 weeks.

I wish I could find the blog post I'm thinking of. An actual interviewer kept stats on it, and the majority of people WITH DEGREES couldn't FizzBuzz.

Indeed they're actually right.
Your average HTML """"""programmer""""" (read as monkey) doesn't need anything else than being able to copypaste and randomly smash a keyboard

Jesus christ.

I'm a CS student and the people who disliked CS or who weren't good at it just droped out. And I'm not even in some kind of elite formation either.

Maybe it's some burger thing ?

The interviewer was a burger, but I'm also a burger and you couldn't get through the first semester without FizzBuzz at my uni.

There's probably just a huge gap in accreditation at American universities, where they don't actually bother teaching students to code in some programs.

>Main throws java.lang.Exception
Holy fuck

wow that is very unhelpful

I did a project with front-enders who were obviously hired with that mindset. Complete fucking disaster.

It may have been fine back when all you needed was for someone to figure out how to make the text blink, but now with SPAs you have a lot more logic going on in the front-end, especially if you're doing something more advanced than social media bullshit that's just about pushing text and pictures back and forth.

Can't wait to see his medium.com blogshit about why fizzbuzz is considered harmful.

I hope this webmonkey steps on a lego.

That timecode string question is actually pretty trickyif it needs to work globally and with different timestamp standards

I'm doing CS right now and I could do that shit after 3 classes.