How is this image even considered a .jpg?

How is this image even considered a .jpg?
cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/637100/extras/Sonic_Run.jpg

Nigga what the fuck

>thinking that changing the filename makes it a different file

can you prove that the image is real?

(you)

>mistaking basic facts for bait

>inb4 instal linux

I just looked it up, and have decided that I was only pretending to be a retard. Your move, Mister Sup Forumsentooman.

>hurr durr I was only pretending to be retarded

high levels of autism detected

>he needs to download it for realising gif colour restrictions
Pleb.

(you)

It's a jpg of a gif. That's just how it works.

>chaning the filename
What did they mean by this?

Hey guys check it out, I uploaded a video to Sup Forums

Thanks doc.

Alright here's the explanation.
The "image" is created as an animated gif originally, then they literally changed the extension to jpg probably because steam store page doesn't accept gifs.
Changing the extension doesn't make a difference, usually. Try it yourself. Change a png file to jpg or jpg to gif. They still behave like how they are originally, this is implying that you don't have a shit-tier image viewer.

Thank you for my daily dose doktor

Don't forget there's another possible layer of misdirection involved: the file is being accessed over HTTP. The "file extension" in a URL doesn't mean the web server will return such a file, or that your web browser will display it as such. The latter is controlled by the MIME type the server returns. "abc.com/foobar.jpg" could return an HTML page and send the MIME type as "text/html" and your browser would display it as a normal web page.

In this case though, the server IS returning a resource with type "image/jpeg", so your browser's internal image viewer is "ignoring" the MIME type and using the headers in the file itself to determine what kind of image it is. If you do "View Image Info" in Firefox you'll notice in the "General" tab it says "image/jpeg" (what the server said it was) but in the "Media" tab it says "GIF image" (what the browser determined it to be).

But if I save the image and open it in an image viewer, it IS animated, and if I check the properties it's indeed a JPEG file. I get what you said, but not that kind of fuckery here.

>But if I save the image and open it in an image viewer, it IS animated
Right, because it's a gif
>and if I check the properties it's indeed a JPEG file
Then whatever "properties" you're looking at is based on the file extension and not the actual file header

Pic related. Open it in a text editor and you can clearly see the GIF header

bost moar emoji sloots

Basically. some one for some strange reason called it and saved it as a jpg file extension. So if you save it without changing the name image viewers can't display it. Web browsers though don't look at the file extension in the name they interpret the codec and figure out the actual format. Now fuck off OP you retard.

developer fuckup