Why are Software Engineers paid so much more than pretty much any other engineering profession? Is it just demand...

Why are Software Engineers paid so much more than pretty much any other engineering profession? Is it just demand? Will this demand go down at some point? Seems like everyone and their grandma is majoring in CS.

Other urls found in this thread:

glassdoor.com/Salaries/new-york-city-software-engineer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM615_KO14,31.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because software is inside a speculative bubble

kek i think your pic explains why

Every corp wants their own custom-built and privately maintained network "for security."

They don't teach everything you need to know in any single CS program because they also need to know you can absorb and usefully adapt knowledge discovered on your own quickly and easily. Everyone and their grandma is gonna be doing the typing for a transient consultant making three times their yearly salary for a one month project.

>Why are Software Engineers paid so much more than pretty much any other engineering profession?
This
and this
>Is it just demand?
Yes.

>Will this demand go down at some point?
Not for a long time (meaning at least ~5 years). Supply is steadily rising though.

They do? I think you're looking at the top 1% at silicon valley or sweden.

Vast majority of software engineers earn barely enough to live with dignity. Civil/Electrical engineers come out university already earning about 5 times as much as a typical software engineer because their jobs aren't as easily offshored

Soon to be electrical engineer.
This really strokes my ego. Thank you.

Petroleum engineers, electrical engineers and nuclear engineers all make way more

>Vast majority of software engineers earn barely enough to live with dignity.
Yeah. O fucking kay

It is what it is, unless you think $60k/year is good enough to live somewhere like new york city

In germany they really don't.
Your boss most likely is an asshole who studied management and doesn't even know how to use a computer.

The companies that pay for you, want you to have like 20 years experience OR require you to have at least worked 5 years for them.

We have a thing in germany called "Ausbildung", which is like a more practical but not as deep aproach to university. It's nothing academic. People who've done this usually stay workers.

But, because there is the "Fachinformatiker". A practical but not nearly as deep or scientific counterpart to a degree in compsci, you have a hard time finding someone to pay for you, if they can just get a "Fachinformatiker" for 1/4 the cost...

glassdoor.com/Salaries/new-york-city-software-engineer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM615_KO14,31.htm

hm

One time creation followed Infinite redistributibility for profit at negligible cost post-production.

Give this guy a cookie ^
Software engineers make peanuts compared to the revenue their work brings in. I wont even get into the nigger tier cloud model whereby people perpetually lease software.

Also, people forget cost of living. $100k in silicon valley is slave wage.

>glassdoor.com/Salaries/new-york-city-software-engineer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM615_KO14,31.htm

Glassdoor figures for Tech stuff tends to be fabulously optimistic, we all know the reality of this field and the fact you will be earning way below that 'average' for 2-3 years

This is why you have to say "I have added revenue, I am worth x much, pay me more a LOT more" As soon as you as provably valuable.

I hope you realize there's as many jobs that pay peanuts because recruiters & budget folks are fucking retarded

Hmm, this makes sense now user. Thank you for this insight. *screencap'd

>was recently contemplating upgrading my soon-to-be 7yo tool of work
>shocked how long I'd have to save to buy a used 750 Ti (2 months and it'd bite into my food fund)
>frustrated that gpus are so expensive nowadays
>turns out they aren't expensive, just my earnings are peanuts
I'm a software engineer. West Europe.

Because the ecosystem is a hellscape where most things are breaking constantly and are held together by spit and glue. As a software engineer you've got to deal with decades of bad decisions limiting what you can accomplish.

kek, try to work in a pipeline or an oil rig, you will have money thrown at your face. You will have to sleep in a encampment and maybe have a ratio of 20d work and 10d rest but it's ok If you like it.

Literally can't even pay your rent in NYC for $110k

>They do? I think you're looking at the top 1% at silicon valley or sweden.
According to the BLS, software devs make close to $20k more on average than EE. All the people I know getting jobs as a sw eng make way more than the ee grads. Might just be because I'm in Seattle, and that's what the demand is.

Of course, as soon as computers stop being used for everything everywhere.

>Is it just demand?

Yep, and supply of course.

Of course not.
Software only becomes more and more important.

Supply might grow a bit, which could lower prices, but I don't really see that happening either to be honest.

If that were true why don't they simply move to the Netherlands?

Here even an average JavaScript coder makes 70 euro's an hour.
Which I admit isn't terribly high but considering you can be close to 100% productive (unlike other fields where 85% is pretty much tops) that's still 130k per year.

>West Europe

Well there's your problem

>earn barely enough to live with dignity.
Kek, life with dignity doesnt mean 3 houses on different countries dude

Programmers have learned the art of making it look like we are working and are over tasked.

A developer can rant for 5 hours about why some language quirk annoys them and the higher ups will deem it to be a challenging profession when in fact a chimp can do it just as well just not an indian.

Honestly I expect wages to drop profusely in a decade

>He fell for the "average" meme.
And that's why you deserve less than a real engineer.

>Honestly I expect wages to drop profusely in a decade
Same. Especially since they're trying to make it more trivial with safer languages, and doing coding for kids and to empower girls.

I wish I went into EE instead of IT, best of luck user

they need to rake it in before someone writes a script in Perl that can do their job for nothing.

That's like saying the sky is blue. Everything is in a speculative bubble.

>be a major financial institution
>processes hundreds of billions of dollars in transactions daily
>need software to feasibly do it

This is why. You can spend $140k on programmers, but in return they produce products that earn you billions of dollars a year.

Just don't live in Manhattan.
Metro North can take you 45 minutes from sort-of-upstate to the center of Manhattan.

they have to live in the bay area where it costs 10k a month to rent a guys closet.

>Why are Software Engineers paid so much more than pretty much any other engineering profession?
They really aren't though.

That seems incredibly unreasonable, what is rent like there, 10k/mo for a studio?