Hey Sup Forums, I've got a question for you guys here...

Hey Sup Forums, I've got a question for you guys here. Been using an i5 2500k ever since launch and the thing has been great over the years. But now I'm thinking about upgrading it. Do you guys recommend getting the 1700x/1800x or the 7700k/8700k? This is for gaming on a 1440p monitor.

just buy z370 board + i5 8400.
more than enough for gaming.

Shameful self-bump.

if you want amd you can buy 1600 or 1700
paying extra for "x" is total waste of money.

But like i already said 8400 is more than enough for games. Check youtube reviews.

I was able to get a 7700k for $275 new, if you can find a sub-$300 7700k I'd go with that.

RAM is prohibitively expensive right now, so you may want to wait since you'll have to replace that as well.

FWIW, I have two builds, a 7700k and a Ryzen 1600. If you are gaming at 75 Hz or less, Ryzen is good enough. Anything higher, get an i7 7th,8th-gen or i5 8th gen. Coffee Lake is rarely in stock though, so you'll probably have to decide between 7700k and Ryzen.

THIS

Buy a 2600k and overclock to 4.5ghz and enjoy it for 4 more years.
Sandy i7s preform almost identically to Ryzen in most games.

If you need more cores, the 1600x is a good option.
I don't recommend the i7 8400 because the lack of hyper threading.

1440p is less worth than 144hz for gaming, shoot for that instead

got the dell monitor that does both.

Dell S2417DG.

This
T.8400 owner

>paying extra for "x" is total waste of money.
why though

At this point gpu matters much more than cpu. Both ryzen and coffee lake are capable of what you require.

if you weren't such a fucking poorfag and got a 2600k you'd still be using it now with no regrets

>1440p
>24 inch

No thanks , get the mg279q ( IPS) or the mg278q( TN ) has freesync , no G-goysync

I've got a GTX 1080 myself. not TI unfortunately so I was thinking a CPU upgrade would help since I thought the 2500k might be bottlenecking everything. .

Just higher stock clock & slightly better guaranteed OC range.
You basically pay extra for out of the box clock speeds, which are basically worthless if you have a Ryzen CPU because they all overclock wonderfully.

>I have two builds, a 7700k and a Ryzen 1600.

Why in tarnation

>they all overclock wonderfully
user, about that...

What, are you implying they don't?
Basically all Ryzen chips can go to 4Ghz with a good cooler and 3.7 or 3.8 with the stock cooler.

>Basically all Ryzen chips can go to 4Ghz
That's a lie.
Most hit a hard voltage wall at 3.8ghz
the X versions are better binned .

I'm in a similar position but I have a 2600k. Actually the CPU is holding out fine, but my video card is struggling these days. I also want a better file server/media machine so I'll move my current computer to that role.

I'm leaning towards a i7 8700k, but if the prices isn't back down to $380 the end of the year I'm going to just say fuck you intel and get a 1800x

Not a massive difference between 3.8 and 4.0. My 1600 goes to 3.8 on stock voltages with stock cooler (this seems to be normal) and it sometimes turbos a couple cores up to 3.95

It's a better binned part that will clock the same with less voltage, or slightly higher total.

Anything manufactured after thread ripper dropped 1 tier in binning, this inclused the 1800x and 1600x. There's a reason silicon lottery stopped binning ryzen after threadripper came out, and it's an unfortunate side effect of the nature of Zen. The best clocking pinnacle ridge CPUs will almost exclusively exist before they start binning for threadripper refreshes.

>Anything manufactured after thread ripper dropped 1 tier in binning

Interesting. I did not know that. Good thing I bought mine as soon as R5 came out.

Pretty good reason to buy a -X then.

>overclocks wonderfully
teeheeheehee

>Not a massive difference between 3.8 and 4.0
Because ryzen Overclocks like shit, every GHZ is important.
Don't try to justify your purchase of a lower binned chip.

>will clock the same with less voltage,
This, hitting 4.0ghz at 1.45V on ryzen is possible, but not ldeal

I am keeping my 2500K until I actually need to upgrade: If it breaks, or if its performance becomes inadequate. What is the purpose of your upgrade?

What is the ethnic, or national origin of Bukantis? Lithuanian?

Are you the real falcon who made the falcon guide? or just some guy that's taking his name.

To be able to have WoW View Distance higher than 4 and Environmental Detail higher than 7.

He is USAin, citizenship-wise. If I am not mistaken, his forefathers came from Scandinavia.

AMD fanboy here, so take this as you will. Get an 1800x on cyber monday.

High view distance (going past 7) is an FPS killer in WoW, even on high end CPUs. Of course, the newer CPUs will have much better performance since WoW is so single-thread focused, but keep your expectations realistic: You are not going to be setting View Distance to 10 in Suramar, on any CPU.

This is the best advice in the thread.

I've seen dudes pair a 2600K and a 1080Ti and run games at very high framerates.

>he
Don't start that shit with me.

She, if you like.

do you guys think there will be significant sales for coffee lake for black friday or better to just buy whenever they go on stock?

also, how does the i5 8400 compare to say an r5 1600?

why not just get an i7 3770k and enjoy 6 more years?

I recently switched from a 2500k to a 8700k already had a 1080 card. Just swapping the cpu and ram made my fps boost around 25 fps average. Also it doesnt drop low anymore. Before I had low as fuck minimals constantly.

>tfw my 1245v2 broke due to VRM failure

Is it dying as we speak? If not, wait for Pinnacle Ridge and the 400 series chipsets.

desu its only 2 ways with coffee either 8400 or 8700k. If you just gonna game go for 8400, thats what I did for 1440p as well. If you plan on streaming and some occasional professional work go for 8,7k

No. The trend of multi-core cpus being used in gaming has just begun and it only gonna get bigger

This shit has been said for the last half decade and nothing has changed

it's weird, but check ebay. the 4790k, and probably the 3770k too, both run at about their original MSRP, so there's no real justification for the "old hardware" meme unless it's really old/you can find a deal

The thing is this time it has already changed. Go look at benchmarks.