What's the Dark Sou- I mean Thinkpad of Mp3/music devices

> No screen
> No moving hard drive
> High capacity storage for FLAC, .rm, .ogg and mp3.
> 1/4" headphone jack
> Long battery life
> No software required
> USB connection
> True randomization
> Removable battery

Well fellas?

Other urls found in this thread:

tera-player.com/
hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,107474.0.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you want a sansa clip plus

ipod classic

This.
>easily upgradeable
>hackable (Rockbox/OFW dualboot, iPod Linux, etc.)
>robust
>great aftermarket community
>30-pin offers a vast array of interfaces (line-out/in, USB, RS-232, component and composite video-out, etc.)

there is objectively a display on that device, I don't know what you're talking about

he wants a reccomendation

the zishan z2 user i am picking one up on 11 /11 with a coupon for 50 dollarydoos

its going to be glorious... dsd... finally

also here have some lewd pics of Z2

Props for Dark Souls/ThinkPad.
As much as I hate Apple, the last version of the original iPod was the best music player until it was discontinued. Don't know how it is now, but I'm interested too.
Portable music players IMHO still have their value even with smartphones. When working out, etc... it's much more convenient and less distracting to use a small device dedicated to just playing music instead of having you're social shit disturbing you're training.

I have an iPod classic, but never tired using it with Linux, what's the best way to transfer music to/from it effortlessly? Terminal-only solutions are very welcome.

The one and only Altmann Tera-Player
tera-player.com/

I'm probably going to sound incredibly dumb, but why should you get a player without a screen? Having one is a huge advantage for navigation.

While the iPod classic definitely has its pros, it's rather bulky compared to most modern players.
A portable music player nowadays makes sense when it's rather small and compact, and the iPod isn't. It had great value before smartphones were a thing, now not so much.

>2990€
Are you niggering me?

Why exactly would you buy a device just for music? Do you not have a phone?

As other anons have said, they are great for working out.

Screen really isn't important but usually on devices once they are broken there isn't much you can do about it.

Looks like something I vaped from.. but also looks like something I must buy...

Doesn't iPod classic require iTunes?

awww man i was thinking about altmann tera the whole time but i couldnt remember the name !

its real and whats funny is that the creator is a crazy autist genius and just could not deal with how much the player blew up - wont outsource the design and now absolutely hates making the thing !

You should read some head-fi forum threads about it... some of the customer relations and money exchanged for those things and the religious experiences people had were fucking priceless

Holy shit this sounds great.

The altmann tera was literally the biggest meme DAP for sometime and elicited the most neurotic compulsive audiophile stereotypes you could ever imagine

i wish i could share some links but literally the forum threads 80 pages long

basicly the guy developed some propriety jitter reduction tech in the sd card reader and hooked it up to very simple DAC (r2r ladder or old stock phillips maybe) and refused to outsource the build for mass production because of his "secretz technologyz" and due to the laws of supply and demad hillarity ensued

i personally fucking hate the guy, theres no reason we shouldnt have a 30 dollar chink copy right now... its exactly what i want.... what fucker

what did he mean by this?

>On the MAC we suggest using the free XLD software to load the music on the SDHC card for your Tera-Player. XLD can be configured to convert all incoming files (Apple Lossless, Flac, ogg, mp3, etc.) to WAV automatically, while copying to the SDHC card.

>assumingly goat DAC
> load converted mp3s

tards bought this for 3k eurodollars?

I don't really get what's so special about this,it really doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I don't see how anyone could use a DAP without a display too, I like to keep my whole library with me so It'd be impossible for me to use something without a display

audiophiles are mostly idiots who believe any marketing buzzword

Sony MZ-N70

40 hour battery life on a single AA, can charge your rechargeable batteries or use cheap alkalines, skip proof, discs available for as low as $2, up to 5 hours per disc with highest compression, can transfer at up to 32x speed over usb or record in real time from the radio or spotify or something else over mini TRS or mini TOSLINK or mic. Allows naming, splitting, combining, and moving tracks on the device, has an onboard folder system, allows adding tracks to a folder, removing tracks from folders moving songs to different folders, moving a song's position within a folder, and moving the folder's position. Discs are permanently in caddies and unscratchable, and discs are much smaller than CD's. Plus a DAC that's better than most smartphones(imo)

in general this is true. But there's still quite alot of stats whoring that can be done with audio equipment. You've got dynamic range, frequency response, signal to noise ratio, total harmonic distortion, and tonal response curves. It's just that most audiophiles spend 8K on gold cables and don't bother reading about most of that.

Its was a different time. The altmann tera is pretty old and my library was all lossy 16 bit back then. Having your library as flac and hi-res is a pretty recent thing... i blame apple for not supporting flac in the ipod days

and you gotta admit even you probably burned a redbook audio cd from mp3 download at some point in your life, same thing here

the altman would actually be the perfect player to test if upsampling 16/44.1 material to 24/192 actualy does anything

It was a supper low jitter custom sd card reader and r2r zero oversampling DAC playing raw wav files with no other decoding going on

it doesnt make any sense but people were literally having religious experiences with it.... that was some time ago, not sure how far things have caught up

throw your lossy 128kbps atrac 90's shit in the trash kid

hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,107474.0.html
Highlights from the thread:
>I think it is pretty well known that in the configuration used the DAC ignores the sampling theorem and basically just produces square waves at the amplitude of each sample.
> But it doesn't really matter. He clearly states no oversampling or digital filtering and a R2R DAC. So expect 5 dB roll-off at 20 kHz with CD audio, phase shift, and probably high noise and distortion coming from this old chip.

As for the OP: Sansa Clip is your friend.

I have one. greatest one I've had.

Planning to buy one soon, I've heard there's a 5000 song limit on it. Does Rockbox or some other custom firmware bypass this limit? What's the maximum SD card size that I can put on it?

>throw your lossy 128kbps atrac 90's shit in the trash kid
well, standard atrac is 255kbps, and at that bitrate the psychoaccoustic compression is good enough to mask any differences between it and linear PCM.

also, inb4 paying $3 a track because you've bought into the lossless meme.

I still own one of those. Still works. It used a proprietary connection/adapter that I somehow managed not to lose, but it the adapter plugs into a parallel port which none of my current computers have. I _think_ there's still Linux support for it. Windows support is surely long gone.

>can transfer at up to 32x speed over usb
That's not happening anymore now that Sony has abandoned updating sonicstage for contemporary computers
>up to 5 hours per disc with highest compression
They're also Mono and sound like shit MDLP-4
> Discs are permanently in caddies and unscratchable, and discs are much smaller than CD's.
you can't scratch microsd either, and tht does everything you just said that you could do with minidisc

I like minidisc, but it's just something fun and different like using cassettes, I'm not going to pretend that they're good replacements for modern devices.

pic related, 2 of my MD walkmans

alot of digital theory makes perfect sense on paper, but not so when i reaches the ear...

take for instance dithering, makes sense but my media player did dither in software for its 64bit engine, my digital equalizer did dither, my digital crossover did dither so much dither its actually not good

i use canopener app and can disable dither on my iphone and it sounds better

i actually had a phillips cd player and converted the tda1541 DAC to zero oversampling mode and it was pretty good so yeah digital technology is a mine field who would thunk

>people were literally having religious experiences with it.
what's so mind blowing about all of this though, you could probably accomplish the same stuff on a computer. Do all these "audiophile" types really walk around in public with their stack of their 2.5" inch thick astell & Kern and their equally thick headphone amp connected to their huge Studio monitor headphones?

If you rockbox it you don't need iTunes.

Sansa Clip Plus are shoddily constructed pieces of shit.

-Back clip snapped off and I've since repaired it using velcro strips.
-Volume buttons have caved in
-Battery doesn't hold more than a few hours of charge anymore
-The left-arrow face button is getting finnicky

I want a portable music player that is TRULY built to last and is easier to take apart without having to use an x-acto knife to pry it apart and I want one that has the power to playback video format music, which the Sansa Clip Plus with Rockbox isn't capable of doing.

That said, I still use my Clip Plus regularly.

>That's not happening anymore now that Sony has abandoned updating sonicstage for contemporary computers
I just use an XP virtual machine on my laptop. Not that difficult to do
>They're also Mono and sound like shit MDLP-4
lp4 isn't mono, but it does not sound good. No doubt there.
>I'm not going to pretend that they're good replacements for modern devices.
I guess that's true. No reason to not just youtube to mp3 or pirate files onto your cellphone at this point. I do think minidisc is still nearly as good as any modern device, and the editing functions really are unique to the system. It's a shame you can't edit your tracks the same way on smartphones. Probably one of the reasons I still use it. Plus I like the physical media and changing discs and everything.

>dither reduces the noise floor by 3db each time it's applied. It has no other effect on the sound since it is literally just added white noise to the signal.

any difference you're hearing is placebo. There's no way you'd hear the difference between 96db and 93db, and anyways, dithering with shaped noise allows the noise floor to be dropped further when A-weighted, as low as -106db.

digital technology, especially linear pcm, is surprisingly straightforward if you know anything about signals and sound.

Rockbox it and use rsync

The Mini's also Rockboxable and upgradeable