/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtu.be/u7xRjE3Sylw

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

timekeeperforum.com/forum/threads/adjustment-and-regulation.21105/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Seiko's are good
Post seiko's

GET OUT

THIS IS NOW A SLAV SHITTER ONLY THREAD IF ITS NOT A GARBAGE WATCH FROM EASTERN YURUP DON'T POST IT

Did someone say seiko thread?

that fucker is so crusty its almost a slav shitter. I'll allow it.

I have five watches and zero Seikos

Ah, an orient man then?

> Not even the most expensive rolex

Oh thats really nice

i like this one better

where can i get a used omega speedmaster for ~$2500

quartz watches are for eunuchs and homosexuals.

Don't say that I just bought one

You might want to get that fixed

>spring drive
>quartz

Anyway, the point of the image is demonstrating the polish on the underside of the hands.

if you removed the quartz the movement would be unregulated and it would not be a watch. yeah gs's are really well finished; too bad they are all too large and ugly. First one looks like a mycelial network was allowed to grow on the dial. Cases are fat and big.

retard.
please let us know how it is senpai

Seiko thread? Seiko thread.

Say whatever you like but the Grand Seiko SBGV007 is sexy as hell.

Battle of the shitters: Seiko vs Orient, Who wins?

What watches fit with the c o m f y c o r e aesthetic?

Hard mode: Not Nomos

Am I cool yet?

orient is cooler than seiko

go to the watch threads on fa

this thread is for the appreciation of shitposting

fuck no

>HUELOT

damn okay

lmao the B is blocked

>Not Nomos
there is no way to be more aesthetic than wearing a nomos and carrying around as many apple devices as possible.

I joke around a lot about seikos but what on gods green earth would posses a dimwitted simpleton to go spend their easy earned money on this pile of absolute dog shit?

Orient wins until you get past 6r15

Junghans, tudor, citizen

Mostly because I wanted something basic bitch. I already have my panerai, rolex, two tudors. I've got the money, so why not?

>tfw only buy Japanese watches
>get them while in Japan so it's even cheaper
Lmaoing at the life of people spending more than 50k on watches.

Yes Yes i feel my power growing .Keep buying these so i can DESTROY i mean i mean save more watch brands. HAHAHAHAHHAHAH

>First one looks like a mycelial network was allowed to grow on the dial.
I will now never not see that, thanks asshole

Finally, a tasteful daytona

I have 3 gshocks, they tell the time and i can swim or throw it out the window or even under a car and it still runs. And that for 100 euros

Moй бpaт!

Just got this today

Nice. Is the crystal faceted or are those edges on the dial itself?

The addled mind of a seiko male. Sad.

Lel Boston xd

The pin holding my watch band to the watch fell off.
It was an old Seiko penis quartz that I bought by mistake.

I'm now enough of a richfag to buy whatever Seiko twin penis quartz I want, or even buy something like a new SARB035.

The only watches they have in their product line that look similar are the Presage and the Brightz SGDM001, but the watch face might be too big for my wrists.

Penis quartz and SARB035 are the perfect size.

Is it worth it to buy a twin penis quartz and have it refurbished with a new crystal and tune the accuracy, or should I just buy new?

>Talking shit about one of the most knowledgeable posters in /wt/

The superiors are very good if you can find one for a good price.

my brain is no where near that large

God that's such a nice dial. I would totally get one for that franken 110 I was talking about in the last thread.
Can SE dials even fit into regular non-SE cases? I remember hearing something about the SE sandwich dials being too thick and the pins were in different places.

>have a safe queen watch
>still manages to get hairline scratches on the case side and bezel

I am so fucking mad. I've never even worn it anywhere. It literally doesn't touch anything other than the watch box and the watch pillow it's in.

What the fuck do I do now? Can you spot remove small scratches?

Someone help me calm down my autism.

Nice Sup Forums file name my dude.

The cases and movements are identical

I mean at least he's not cranking the strap down, or he's at least hiding the chub with his cuff.

its kind of fucked up you make fun of this guy all the time. Its not his fault he was born with small testes and an addled mind.

I used to have a notepad of every model of penis quartz there ever was. Took a bit of hunting to find them all.
Does anyone know of such a list anymore?
It'll be a great help on yahoo auctions.

DELET THIS

can we trade the annoying fat cannadian for lawyer user? i miss him. Why are we stuck with retards like him but all the cool people leave.

you just answered your own question

I've worn this leather strap on my orient for a while but should I switch back to the metal one? I think the leather's more comfortable but not by much.

Also I might sell this soon for a reasonable price, anyone interested?

how many of you have gotten your SNE437?

I have mine

Brown leather with blued hands is a god tier combo.

I have mine to bro

solar forever

Mate...

>know so much about watches
>not knowing anything about exercise and nutrition

>tfw I have six Seikos

I sort of want to study people that wear things like this.

look at this big belly. I bet he can't even see his own dick.

how many are JDM?

Its not even that hard.
>be fat
>eat less
>be less fat
>keep eating less
>be even less fat
>reach normal weight
>eat normal (which is less because you are so use to eating less)
>if weight goes up again start eating less again

>I sort of want to study people that wear things like this.

you want to study people who wear seiko dive watches?

I think three. Will post updated collection pic tomorrow.

not the watch itself. Watches that are far too large.

So rather than enabling cancerous metaposting, I thought it would be interesting to share a little bit of why I focus so much on the extent to which a mechanical movement is factory adjusted.

Al Archer wrote an excellent explanation of the basics of what the adjustment of a mechanical movement entails here timekeeperforum.com/forum/threads/adjustment-and-regulation.21105/ and I really recommend you read it. Basically, what Archer explains is that adjusting a movement involves manipulating the centering and concentricity of the hairspring by adjusting two sets of pins on studs plus actually manipulating the harispring itself with tweezers. The goal of these types of adjustments is to reduce the total delta between the rate the movement runs at in the slowest and fastest positions, allowing subsquent regulation (which adjusts where the centerpoint is but NOT the spread) to dial in good accuracy.

The practical point of this is to understand that a signficant percentage of the timekeeping performance (and cost!) of a movement is a result of how much adjustmeent and regulation labour was spent on it at the factory and not just the intrinsic technical design of the movement. Keep in mind that this type of work can only be done by hand by skilled techs, and that any hand labour on a volume produced movement will rapidly balloon the manufacturing cost and you can perhaps better appreciate why the 2824 top grade is essentially a different animal than the 2824 standard. It has simply had far more adjustment and regulation labour thrown at it and should permanently deliver much better timekeeping performance as a result. Another great modern example is the Omega 1861, which in an archaic 21,600 bph movement that delivers good accuracy pretty much only due to have a crap ton of adjustment labour thrown at it.

>"t-t-theres nothing w-w-wrong with omega!!!1!1!1! theyre fantastic!!!"-swatch fanboys.

I've never really heard anything bad about Orient's price to quality ratio, but their aesthetics generally don't do it for me, so I'd have to pick Seiko, but to each their own.

Again, how is the F91 not the obvious answer here? It's small, thin, comfortable and utilitarian.

That is in remarkable condition.

I'm speechless

Hello sirs do u like watch

:^)

Is there even any panerai that would fit smaller wrists? What's the general consensus of panerai here?

They made a few 40mm ones but that is as small as they got I think.

>Another great modern example is the Omega 1861, which in an archaic 21,600 bph movement that delivers good accuracy pretty much only due to have a crap ton of adjustment labour thrown at it.

I can attest to this user.

I am still boggled at how accurate this guy is.

I've had it for 6 years and it still loses nor gains more than 2 seconds per day.

It's why I'm always perplexed when I see that other user here who has an absolute disdain for the 1861.

Whats the perfect size and why is it 38mm?

>Is there even any panerai that would fit smaller wrists?
One of the 40mm models probably, but that depends on how small you consider "small" to be. Also Panerai is an absolute joke of a company that sells $5k watches that have Chinese machined cases with bare bones ETA movements, and have even sold a limited edition watch that had an unfinished movement.
I'm pretty damn sure that Panerais are some of the easiest "luxury" watches to clone since a lot of the movements are literally off the shelf.

Can't really wear bigger if you're a wristlet like me.

>It's why I'm always perplexed when I see that other user here who has an absolute disdain for the 1861.
Well, there's a difference between the technical merits of a movement and how much accuracy you can get out of it if you chuck adjustment and regulation labour at it.

In technical terms the 1861 leaves a lot to be desired compared to several other modern mechanical chronograph movements, but Omega can afford to compensate for some of those weaknesses on the MOTFM because the price of the watch is so high that they can afford to lavish a lot of adjustment and regulation on them.

Seriously, just look at that tool watch aesthetic on the inside.

the rolex case panerai are cool but other than that why anyone would ever even bring up panerai is beyond me. This thread is so confusing; I can't even tell if half the retards in these photos are ironically wearing ridiculous shit or not.