Why aren't you using your Rasperry Pi as a shitposting machine to conserve energy?

Why aren't you using your Rasperry Pi as a shitposting machine to conserve energy?
I find carrying Pi with touchscreen and a power bank to be much lighter than any laptop.
Now compare the price of that set to any 7 inch tablet or phablet. Full size usb ports and HDMI port baby!

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.org/blog/the-eagerly-awaited-raspberry-pi-display/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because using this phone is even more energy efficient, aswell as more convenient.

But both Android and Ios are botnets while RPI can use Debian or Ubuntu.
Also, show me a phone with 4 full size USB ports and an Ethernet port.

The ARM architecture is also proprietary, and could be used for malicious purposes without your knowledge.

There are no inbuilt fullsize ports, but a fast single port, that can be adapted to suit the environment.

Also android can be ran without gapps.

>but a fast single port, that can be adapted to suit the environment.
How do you plan to charge your phone and use that USB port at the same time?

There is a place for the rpi, but a convenient handheld is not it.

The RPI can be adapted to almost anything, it has the potential to do everything ok-ish. For a moment i might need an extra wifi-adapter, an alarm clock no problem. Maybe as a slow cron jobber to keep you up to date? Also game streaming to your living room.

The RPI is propably the most versatile cheap piece of programmable tech ive ever encountered.

>There is a place for the rpi, but a convenient handheld is not it.
Seems to be a pretty convenient linux tablet to me.

Many phones also offer wireless charging as an option. Personally i find no issue in leaving the phone for 20-30 minutes a day to charge up to full.

this.
I'm currently using mine as a secondary torrenting machine, RSS reader, ebook server, image host and VPN server.
RPI aren't great as NAS devices since their data speeds are so slow but it's a very cheap solution for anyone who has a spare 2.5 inch drive.

Should I upgrade from Pi to Pi 3?
It has to be a RPI because I have their gay little 7'' touchscreen.

Where do I get this monitor?

>not using a microcontroller

Official Raspberry pi touchscreen.
Get it from the foundation, ebay or anywhere else.
Be aware that it's still 800x480.

How does one enter captcha on microcontroller?

Its a huge improvement to be sure. My rpi3b can do full 1080p gamestreaming. Finished dark souls 2 with it in my living room.

What about real life power consumption?
My RPI2 with touchscreen can go for 27 hours on a 20000 mah power bank.

Can your Android do this?
Like you know, actual work?

Can it run real Office Suite offline?

Why can't you learn how to do something as basic as flipping an image before you post it you vapid twat?

I blame android for rotating pictures at random and not consistent with the thumbnail in my camera phone.

Second try.

now crop the image so I don't have to see your pasty white undefined calves

the only good reason to do this would be to get your browser extensions, and yet you're not using an adblocker or Sup Forums x.
what is even the point?

>Now compare the price of that set to any 7 inch tablet or phablet.
Not with that keyboard you've got there it doesn't

My firefox account is syncing.
I use NoScript and Ublock.
No worries.

EXCUSE ME YOU FAT SLOB
YOU ARE CONSERVING WAY TOO MUCH ENERGY
PLEASE EXERCISE

you are a piece of shit
why are you worried about power usage?
i bet you don't have a single meter in your room
your parents pay the electric bill anyway, kiddo

Then get a cheap usb keyboard or use it as a tablet. You know that the price of the keyboard doesn't count. Inb4 laptop keyboards aren't shit.

>not using a e-ink display to conserve the maximum energy
if you gonna do it do it properly

>i bet you don't have a single meter in your room

I do and I need to keep track of my power consumption.

>100mbps ethernet shared via USB

ROFL

stop being a scrub and get a Odroid with gigabit at the least

Tried that and it was pure pain even with fast refresh fps hack.
Don't fell for the e-ink meme.

Can't connect that screen to Odroids.

holy shit, neckbeard just blew user THE FUCK OUT

microsoft office and has been available for android for years.

>has hdmi as well
>gamepad support
>inbuilt speakers
>more juice
>was 200 bucks (not sold anymore, prices are up)

as an ex rpi 1&2 owner i ask, why bother with a rpi as anything other than 24/7 sshbox which does somespecific task?

>ebook server,
Elaborate please.

media server just for images and ebooks?

nice keyboard man

Why?
And why not just call it SMB server?

>he doesn't know what chroot is

Try being “productive” on a tiny screen like OP posted fag, be the time you get a full size monitor and the input devices you may as well use a desktop. As opposed to using a phone that just werks

>Microsoft Office
Garbage

Why not simply use a phone with connected mouse+keyboard and miracast into a bigger screen?

Or even better a 2in1 laptop with a m3 or u series cpu and 2/3rd power of a desktop and small power consumption but all the advantages of rpi and desktop?

An otg to 2-3 usb cable costs 1.5$. Really, I know importing electric power from Germany costs Poles a lot, but look at the first part of my post. Unless, Poles still stick to VGA screens and other technology acquired from Russian and German good wills.

>Why not simply use a phone with connected mouse+keyboard and miracast into a bigger screen?

Because a 40'' monitor uses 80+ W of power and 17'' one uses well over 20W

Because it doesent serve them over smb?

What then?

The media can be served over a variety of methods, like nfs, ssh and http. Smb is just one of the forms of sharing to windows clients.

why the fuck would you dev on a little shit.
you might as well cross compile your shit ...

Because it's a small Linux device that you can use on the go?

It can do real work such as taking and making phone calls, checking and responding to email and taking pictures.

Any computationally intensive workload i leave for my servers.

bump

Except that no Linux developers is competent enough to design a touchscreen optimized DE.

So? Use Debian with onboard keyboard like normal people do.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but are you talking about typing onto a touch keyboard on that display thing in the picture?

You can use any usb / bt keybard or use virtual onscreen keyboard just like in your phone.

Sure thing. I do like the idea. I'm using my pi along with a 7in tablet. The pi is an access point and I'm doing stuff with the camera. It is way lighter and discreet than my laptop.

Downside is that I wind up with several items; the wire from and to the power bank, the cable extension for the camera, the separate tablet or phone. There's some annoyance with that, although it could be minimized with some thought. For the moment I just connect over ssh or a web ui for the camera.

and you are back again at the start
>the rpi does not make a good handheld device

It's great for getting one or more services on your network and avoid more expensive and power hungry hardware

What is that display, specifically? How is it connected?

Comfort > energy.

it has a separate board that you connect to Pi using tape. You can power it via separate usb or from Rpi's GPIO ports.

Yes, I was wondering about make \ model. It says 'nook'; when I look that up I see a whole bunch of nooks.

You can run Debian but there's no point - Android is already better than any desktop distro, especially on low power devices. In fact I have smoother browsing on my phone than on my laptop.

How much mAh is you battery pack and how long do you run on it? Additionally, which os are you using, i've been thinking about this since some time

Dude, what?
The color screen is official raspberry pi touchscreen. The ereader is rooted Nook Simple Touch with microSD slot.
The Nook uses VNC via Wifi but you can probably use a ssh connection via usb.

But your gay phone lacks ports and can't be used with usb peripheries while charging. Do you get it?
Also, try compiling anything from source for your android.

27 h straight with screen connected and playing youtube.
Never played wuth downclocking and testing different screen brightness settings.

thanks

>VNC via Wifi
go figure

Relevant to my interests although I don't know if I'd be any further ahead with a gui considering what I would use it for.

pi 2?

I only need a desktop.

I have thought about trying to rig up something similar, but running on an ESP with a small suite of utilities in Lua. Might be a fun project.

yes

I just started youtube and left it running.
If you leave it doing nothing it should probably work even longer. Also, try turning it off from yime to time. RPI can't suspend and keeping it up 24/7 in your bag seems stupid.

That's an awesome amount of uptime. That would be more than enough for anything I'd want to do right now. In fact, smaller battery capacity (a measly 3000 mAh) had ruled out leaving my pi on site overnight for some motion capture pictures, but this would cover it.

Remember that the touchscreen uses a lot of power. Just get rpi 0 and you will be good.

thats actually really nice, have to contemplate about that

more info on the screen? im thinking about getting RPI to coreboot my future x220. after corebooting, what can i do with RPI?

raspberrypi.org/blog/the-eagerly-awaited-raspberry-pi-display/

I took out GPUs from my servers and use Raspberry pi to connect to their VNC and ssh servers.

hell yeah; thanks for the information

will RPI rag if i connect hdmi to regular 24" monitor or something?

rag?
No. I used hdmi to vga and dvi adapters and everything worked fine.

I was thinking about throwing together a rpi 3 nas this weekend. What makes them slow?

should i get whatever package they sell on amazon? what do you recommend?

>What makes them slow?
USB 2.0 shared with 10/1000 ethernet on the same bus.

You are talking about adapter or raspberry pi?
Get the cheapest one either way.
I don't use evil amazon. Every robotics shop will have them and everyone is buying from UK where they come from. I'm not an anglo so I won't give you any names.

The 3 has wifi on a separate bus though right?

So? You will access the HDD connected to the USB 2.0 anyways, right?

Yes? How is that a problem by itself

That your awesome NAS will have a real life transfer speed of USB 2.0 and not even the maximal theoretical speed?
If you give 0 fucks about speed than it's fine. I just plug my disks into my router.

I had an issue going from hdmi to vga which was solved with a beefier power supply. Just tossing that out there.

Maybe your converter had some extra draw. I use logilink 5v 2A usb hub with power and data line.

Yes it can. You can run python on android.

>You can run python on android
Are you retarded?
Can you compile C/C++ applications on Android?
Fortran support on Android? No?
Wireshark?

A Pi is rather a hobby project toy rather than a efficieny/usability tool for me

this is the most counter productive thing i have ever seen
how bad is your lag? also have fun being legally blind in 2 years

>have fun being legally blind in 2 years
I want to put it in front of my head and make a VR headset like display. How do I mount a tablet in front of my face?

Buying a used thinkpad was cheaper.

Thinkpad is larger and heavier.

Are you retarded? Ofcourse you can. Get with the times grandpa.

how does it feel to be so poor that you have to obsess over electricity?

>Thinkpad is larger
One of the pros.
>and heavier.
Is the weight of a thinkpad really too much for you?