*intentionally bricks every device in the product line*

>*intentionally bricks every device in the product line*
>psss nothin personal kid, buy the new version

engadget.com/2017/11/09/logitech-will-brick-harmony-link-in-march/

>updated: oy vey we didnt know youd take it so personally. never mind how many you had, have a single new on on us. (link to buy more in your inbox)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/after-online-outrage-logitech-will-now-replace-harmony-link-devices-for-free/
amazon.com/Logitech-915-000144-Harmony-Link-Discontinued/dp/B005O81U8Y
heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Abgeschalteter-Harmony-Link-Logitech-tauscht-Universalfernbedienung-kostenfrei-aus-3887187.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>If your product is still under its warranty, Logitech will upgrade it to the Hub for free.
>Outside of that period, Logitech is giving customers 35 percent off a Harmony Hub.
hey goy, looks like your warranty ran out. Dont mind me bricking this device with the call home feature. NO REFUNDS.

someone bump this, I seriously doubt something can go to the bottom of the Sup Forums catalog in just a few minutes.

shill force is out in full patrol tonight.

ever think nobody cares?
but no its the shills.
you should blame the jews next time your thread drops off the board.

I do think nobody cares, but seeing as how its logitech doing this kike shit, everyone should care.

>lolgoytech

how is this legal?

This.

What kind of bullshit is this?

Why?

the licensing is up, so everyone needs to throw away their $100 devices and buy new ones.

What the fuck? Are they just going to get away with this?
I think this is a great demonstration of why forced updates & "call home" features are incredible risks.

this is why we need to do more to support right to repair and general software freedom. it's legal because users agree to retarded EULAs just by using things and that practice needs to stop

I stopped buying Logitech completely a while ago

I'm sorry, but what in the flying fuck is a Harmony Link and why the fuck am I only hearing about it now?

Their quality has gone to absolute shit, but as far as I know they are the only quality producer of free spin mice that have a clicky mode.

ever heard of planned obsolescence newfags?

>"class action lawsuit" is filtered as a "swear word"
lmao

>Update: Following customer backlash, Logitch tells Wired that it will give all Harmony Link owners the newer Harmony Hub free of charge.

By the sounds of the article due to the license they are using for the Link running out it will probably lose the ability to connect to the cloud services it relies on meaning it won't be able to do anything Internet based anymore, even without the firmware upgrade.

The firmware upgrade will probably just turn off all communications so that they don't try to keep connecting to the cloud service that will only deny them access.

>people buying in the le klaud and le (((smart))) home memes

I feel sorry for none of them.

sounds like its limited to a single device. Im sure some fags bought one for every room.

>updated: oy vey we didnt know youd take it so personally. never mind how many you had, have a single new on on us. (link to buy more in your inbox)

I didnt see what license expired exactly, but the wording to me implies the entire device will be bricked, not just unable to connect to the internet.
And on this note, they shouldnt be programing end user devices with preprogramed expiration dates and/or make them self aware of when its own licensing is expired.
Imagine if everything else did this, cars, computers from the 90s, those cool radios from the 50s, all just stop working cause "lol the license expired".

Its also worth mentioning they were selling this thing up until a few months ago, at which point they knew the licensing was going bad.
When a license expires, it shouldn't affect devices that were already sold, it should only affect the companies ability to make and sell more of said item.

Well that's why cloud devices are cancer

Yet normies don't understand this and will continue to buy them

Old news.
They will replace all bricked devices for free now.
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/after-online-outrage-logitech-will-now-replace-harmony-link-devices-for-free/

>2017
>still falling for the goylitech meme

Why wouldn't you listen?

Oy vey! Free stuff my goyims! Better rev up those shekels to get the latest and newest 9000 DPI harmony link!
It was an exception, we swear!

Yeah, because free means you have to pay more sheckels. Oh wait.

Ask on /csg/ how many remote controls you can get for the same amount of money.

Enjoy your hand cancer, fanboy.

How do you brick a frisbee?

okay. how many remote controls can i get for free, /csg/

I don't know. But you tell me? How does a frisbee phone home?

Right to repair bill was canned thanks to apple.
Say hello to the brave new world.

I figured it worked kind of like a boomerang. It does like a whapdewoop and goes back to where it came from.

So OPs pic was available for free?
I see a hefty pricetag of at least $100.

But of course you were just pretending to be retarded, just like I am right now.

no, and its not what we are talking about. the replacement is free, while the ops post is about how your device will be bricked and force you to upgrade. the controller, whatever the fucking device is in op is stupid, but your argument is literally meaningless

I don't know what you're talking about. What does logitech replacing products for free have to do with buying more remotes?

If they were going to replace my product for free I'm not going to buy more.

>people willingly buy hardware that exclusively uses non-free firmware
lmao'ing @ ur iLife

lmaoing as well

I was about to lmao but remembered that there's nothing funny in this world, we're all going to die someday and our corpses will be used as fuel by the botnet.

It always happens right after they update their logo to appear trendy.

Well the software on Logitech devices are proprietary. You don't own it, you only have a user license for it. How can you get refunds for something that somebody else owns? If you want to use proprietary software then you have to live with the downsides.

Because Logitech can do whatever they want to their own shit, Logitech owns it. People only buy a user license for it. Just in the same way that you don't own the music that you get on itunes, you can't just play it at a party legally because it's not in the user license. It's not a CD where you are free to play at your leisure, sell it to someone else, lend it or give it away. You have software with specific user license requirements. It's not yours in any way.

A lawsuit for what? If you let someone use your software and make them sign an agreement that you might do whatever you want with your own software, that they are only allowed to use it at your discretion and you decide to break your own software then on what basis can anyone sue you? It's YOUR software, you own it even though there are some people who you let use it if they sign a user license agreement that you can do anything you want with your own software.

> they shouldnt be programing end user devices with preprogramed expiration dates and/or make them self aware of when its own licensing is expired.
Yes they should, that is what people are paying top dollar for. If they want something without expiring licenses they would have gotten some free software instead.

>Imagine if everything else did this, cars, computers from the 90s, those cool radios from the 50s, all just stop working cause "lol the license expired".
The difference is that people own the hardware they buy. But proprietary software is owned by the company who makes the software, users only have a license to use it.

So the same rule applies with computers.
intel could void the license that our bios and cpu uses, update it with ME, and wed all have to buy new hardware whenever the fuck they wanted us to.

>A lawsuit for what?
holy fuck. youre jewish arnt you?
when someone buys a physical item like this, they have the right to use it until it fails of hardware issues.
all the thing does is act as a wireless ir blaster that receives commands from a mobile app on a phone. there is no reason for it to stop functioning, ever.
if this was some kind of internet kiosk, or god knows what else then you'd be right, but this should function like any other appliance.

>they would have gotten some free software instead.
see above.

I dunno, they don't really specify.

>I didnt see what license expired exactly
They make use of a third party cloud provider for the cloud shit. You basically get access through Logitech, the license they purchase with the cloud provider and embed into the device.

Now I don't know why they can't update the license and software to the new provider they are using for the Hub. Perhaps there is something fundamental in the hardware they chose (like the chipset they purchased is from through cloud provider so they can't change to a new provider without getting sued).

Yeah, its shitty. I'm not defending it, but then these IoT things are cancer anyway.

>Because Logitech can do whatever they want to their own shit, Logitech owns it. People only buy a user license for it.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that for all cases of physical device sales every consumer group will disagree with you.
Sure, it is within their rights to push a firmware that will stop the device from working, but it is within our rights to not accept it, though in this case it will stop working anyway.

Fact is that they are giving replacement devices because this is not something that would be covered by warranty but they would lose court cases if they didn't. They wouldn't be able to claim "hurr but we own the devices, the customers are just licensed to use them" in court.

>intel could void the license that our bios and cpu uses, update it with ME, and wed all have to buy new hardware whenever the fuck they wanted us to.
No they can't.

First, the ME doesn't dial out, not on its own, so they can't just remotely do everyones' computers, because our routers would block it.

Second, a lot of computers don't have ME enabled due to the chipset not supporting it, or it has been disabled.

Third, in the Logitech case it is a third party license that is expiring. It is a license that Logitech are paying for in order for the devices to access a cloud service. Probably the service was shit or too expensive so Logitech are moving away from it. In Intel's case it would be a first party license, which leads into

Fourth, Intel would die in court.

thats alot of wasted bandwidth to send commands form an ipad to a frisbee to your tv.
idk why they cant just take the iot bullshit out and make it work over lan the way god intended.

You could always try.

>First, the ME doesn't dial out, not on its own
It can
>so they can't just remotely do everyones' computers,
Perfectly possible
> because our routers would block it.
Only if you block all network traffic coming from your computer. The ME have access to your wifi passwords and full access to whatever you have access to on your computer.

>holy fuck. youre jewish arnt you?
Just because I know law? No I am not Jewish.
>when someone buys a physical item like this, they have the right to use it until it fails of hardware issues.
Sure... They can still use the hardware, nobody is taking the hardware from them. it is just the software part that is dead and disabled, the user license agreement for the software clearly states the limits of the software. They can still use the hardware as a paperweight or whatever they want to. The hardware functions like before, nothing wrong with it. Whatever the customer actually owns is not touched by this.
>all the thing does is act as a wireless ir blaster that receives commands from a mobile app on a phone. there is no reason for it to stop functioning, ever.
There are tons of reasons why it should stop functioning. For example if the people who provide the software wants it to stop functioning (as an incentive for people to buy a new device for example)

>Yeah, I'm pretty sure that for all cases of physical device sales every consumer group will disagree with you.
Logitech is not changing anything physical on the device. The physical parts (which the customer still owns) are perfectly fine and untouched. The only parts that are changed are the software parts which the customer has ordered on a time limited user license and which the customer do not own and has not bought, but only ordered as a service on the physical device. In the same way that you might buy a ticket on a ticket app which only works for a set amount of time.

I have literally never heard of this product

I dont have one of the things, and I dont know if there is a way to upload cfw or not.

>Just because I know law?
no because your dedication to "its ok to break something someone spent over 100 for"
>it still works
the articles use the word "brick" which implies they are going to render the devices inoperable.

yea, if youre not a 48 year old man in 2007 that is obsessed with the home theater meme then you probably wouldnt.

> it is within their rights to push a firmware that will stop the device from working, but it is within our rights to not accept it.

Sure, but if you order a time-limited firmware then the firmware will do as the customer has ordered and stop working after the set amount of time. If the customer don't want it then the customer should not have ordered it, but Logitech don't have responsability to fullfill a service beyond what was agreed to when the user signed the user license agreement.

>Fact is that they are giving replacement devices because this is not something that would be covered by warranty but they would lose court cases if they didn't.
Nonsense, the court would side with the company. Logitech is not doing anything legally wrong here.

>They wouldn't be able to claim "hurr but we own the devices, the customers are just licensed to use them" in court.
No, and they never claimed to own the devices. The customer owns the devices, but the customer has also in addition to the devices ordered a time-limited user license for some firmware. If I order one month of photoshop and decide to not order another month then Adobe has a legal right to block me from future use of the software. It's not like I can order a one month license for something and automatically have a legal right to unlimited access to the software. Like you claim people have.

Logitech only give people replacements due to the PR value. Logitech is not in any way legally obligated to provide anything beyond what the customer has paid for and ordered.

>They can still use the hardware, nobody is taking the hardware from them.
Bricked means that the hardware is non-functional. Purposely bricking hardware is effectively taking the hardware from them.

>Not just installing your custom MINIX to the hub, blocking the cucker.

>no because your dedication to "its ok to break something someone spent over 100 for"
I am just stating facts, I have not mentioned a single word about what I feel about the issue. Just describing how things are. If I point to a car crash victim who has died and say "she is dead" does not mean that I want her to die. Your claim is rediculous.

>the articles use the word "brick" which implies they are going to render the devices inoperable.
The software will stop functioning. People can still design and program their own software and flash the devices with it. The hardware still works.

If Microsoft remotely disables windows 10 (which they legally can do) to make you update to the next version then you can still install Linux on it instead. People don't have a right to use licences software beyond what was agreed upon when the user ordered the license. I am sure people can pay Logitech for an unlimited license for the device, but these people ordered a time-limited license which Logitech fulfilled.

>It can
No, it can't. It can only dial out if it is told to dial out and you need something to tell it to dial out.

>Only if you block all network traffic coming from your computer.
There will be no ME traffic coming from my computer because it won't know to dial out. Also ME isn't enabled on my computer because the chipset doesn't support it.

I know you're super paranoid about ME and I know the security flaws in it are terrible, but it would help if you actually informed yourself as to what it is and how it works.

Non-functional doesn't mean it won't work, you might have to wire up your own UART headers to breath some life back into it though.

>It can only dial out if it is told to dial out and you need something to tell it to dial out.
It runs all sorts of programs you dumb fuck. You can easily program a script to dial out every once in a while. Microsoft has it, even a kid can make such a program.

at this point you might aswell salvage the ir leds and stuff an arduino in it and call it a day.

I'm not saying that they're in the right for doing this, but everyone who thought it would be a good idea to buy a closed source, proprietary device or sofware that requires to be connected to the companies' servers to work is fucking retarded.

>I am just stating facts, I have not mentioned a single word about what I feel about the issue. Just describing how things are. If I point to a car crash victim who has died and say "she is dead" does not mean that I want her to die. Your claim is ridiculous.
Im not talking shit to you, sorry if it came across like that.
What you said sounded like how if you help a car crash victim then they person you help can sue you and win. (which is very jewish for laws to be set up like that (oy vey you practiced medicine on me without a license))

its not iot or "cloud". its just a device that lets you use your ipad as a tv remote.
they dont mention cloud anywhere.

>What you said sounded like how if you help a car crash victim then they person you help can sue you and win.
Yeah, like those Chinese laws where you are economically responsible for any medical expenses if you help someone. (Which is why people who drive cars often go out and stab victims to death if they are in an accident. Because at least then the family is not economically responsible even though you risk jail for murdering people)

>(which is very jewish for laws to be set up like that (oy vey you practiced medicine on me without a license))
Well... Some people like that sort of law. Americans WANTS laws where devices stop working and so on. It's a democracy and people have fought hard and bled and died to that companies can stop devices from working whenever they feel like it. Look at who Americans vote into power. If a politician wants to stop companies from doing that then the American public will never vote them into power.

People are idiots if they

(continued)
buy a time-limited and closed source, proprietary device or sofware that requires to be connected to the companies' servers to work and then complain when it turns out that it is a time-limited and closed source, proprietary device or sofware that requires to be connected to the companies' servers to work.

If people don't like it they should not buy it.

>You can easily program a script to dial out every once in a while.
Yeah, but it doesn't. Not on its own.

We know this. It isn't up for debate. We know that the ME does not dial out to talk to Intel. Which means that something inside your network will need to talk to your unsecured ME to make it talk to Intel to get this update that will brick your shit.

Yes it is insecure. But that level of insecurity is dependent on your network's security.

It's a big problem for companies because they have far less control over what will appear inside their networks, but for your average home network there is nothing to worry about.

Also, people probably didn't know that this device was time limited.
It wasn't told to them "hey this device makes use of a licence with a cloud service that expires in 2018, we might renew that license or we might not, just wait and see!".

I am sure it will be in the EULA somewhere but considering those things usually aren't readable until you purchase the product that could bite them in the ass if they had to defend it in court as it is information that the consumer could use in the decision to purchase the item that was hidden from them until after purchase.

>Yeah, like those Chinese laws where you are economically responsible for any medical expenses if you help someone.
yea. also thats why you see them stop the car, back up, and run over the person another few times before speeding off.

read the amazon page for this thing, it doesnt mention could services at all.
it mentions an online manual which requries them to list a broadband internet connection so that a retard can go online for the manual.
But nowhere does it say you need online services to use this.
this thing is part of the logitech harmony line with is just a legacy line of fancy color screen tv remotes. It doesnt even say it works with lights or locks, the new one does though, but not this one from what Ive read.
where did you see it was a cloud license that is expiring?

What iGaygadget@Apple claims:
>Logitech forces firmware update that bricks device

What ACTUALLY happend:
>License to outdated service expired so they are upgrading every user to a new and improved device for free.

Can the Apple shilling get any worse?

>Logitech schaltet im März 2018 den Cloud-Dienst, an dem der Harmony Link hängt, ab.
>Logitech turns off the cloud-service, the Harmony Link is connected to, in March 2018.

heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Abgeschalteter-Harmony-Link-Logitech-tauscht-Universalfernbedienung-kostenfrei-aus-3887187.html

Apparently some security license is expiring, so they turn it off.

So what's stopping me from buying buying a used or broken Harmony and mailing it to Logitech for a new Hub? Is this US-only?

>What ACTUALLY happend:
>Logitech wants to disable cloud service and forces firmware update that bricks device
>users complain
>so they are upgrading every user to a new and improved device for free.

Probably nothing. It's still a device they may have had to replace anyway do I don't see why they would care.