Anybody still purchase DVD or Blu-Ray?

Anybody still purchase DVD or Blu-Ray?

Do you guys rip them and what is currently a decent ripper. Last time I tried I think MakeMKV was the best... has that changed?

I haven't used an optical drive since 10 years ago or so. When USB flash drives first came to be in prominence.

Optical drives/discs are a waste of money.

>Look at me I am so smart and modern
Fuck off back to whatever shithole you came from

I don't know about that USB were not cheap if I recall 512MB drivers were pretty expensive.

but I guess what this thread was about is backing/archiving up physical media.

>Last time I tried I think MakeMKV was the best... has that changed?
Nope

Either you were living in some shithole or you got some shitty memory.

In 2007, you could buy 8GB usb drives for

ImgBurn

A local store has new Blu-ray/DVD combo sets for $5 and used Blu-rays for $3, so I pick some up here and there

I use DVDPassKey myself. Then, AviSynth and x265 do the rest.

last time i rented out dvd's was around 10 years ago
i've never owned an hd-dvd/bluray drive/player/anything

I buy dvds, and blu rays because I dont trust digital movies, dont like streaming quality of netflix, and because I like having a collection.

DVD for 480i/480p content
Blu Ray for 720p/1080p
4K I dont care

>I buy dvds, and blu rays because I dont trust digital movies

Im not one to pirate and as I say streaming usually has meh quality even at 1080p.

i mean the movies on dvd's and bluray discs are themselves also digital

about streaming, is there any places to legally buy bluray quality video? seems backwards that if i want to download a movie, i have the choice to 'pirate' a bluray remux for no cost, or buy the right to watch (but not keep) a crappier version

>is there any places to legally buy bluray quality video?
i mean over the internet, of course

Optical discs are superior for archiving

they were awesome for backups back when a cd was the size of your hdd, but they haven't kept up

By digital I meant buying online movies files via an account.

At least with dvd bluray I have a physical copy.

these days a physical copy is the inconvinient option, hdd's have been large enough for some time now to store a sizable collection of movies, coupled with cheap, low-power computers running media centre software such as kodi, one can have their own personal 'on-demand' system always running, where they pick movies to watch right on the tv, without needing to get out a physical medium for each movie
i've been doing this for many, many years, since the early 2000's, when xbmc was still just for the original xbox

>DVD or BD
I have yet to burn a BD because it's not needed. Right now I need backups digitally of them not burned copies.
DVD I still buy but the lack of DL-DVD-RW bugs the fuck out of me. I need it for some shit and DL-DVD+R doesn't suffice
I still buy CD-R and RW because I need that shit.

The only things I need still are
>GD-R blanks
>GD-R Writer
>Katana devkit (because it's rarer than the deamcast devkit variant)
>Laserdisc-RW
>Laserdisc writer
That generally covers anything I'd need outside of Nintendo's gay shit which is just a firmware modified drive with different scramble keys. It's not worth the effort to get an NR drive or RVT drive just for those 2 systems because the blanks are fucking expensive even when I know a guy who has a full spool of em

Yeah but I have space and its just as simple to po in a disc.

Not like I buy every single movie/tv show I like anyway.

>the lack of DL-DVD-RW bugs the fuck out of me.
have you looked into 9.4GB DVD-RAM?

No because that's fucking dumb and isn't needed for my autistic endeavors.
Hell 99minute CD-R is something I need from time to time and God knows I'm paying a fortune to get those fuckers

HDDs don't last as long and have higher failure rates. Even non-archival grade DVDs can last over 20 years.

Isnt imgburn dead, can it do blu rays?

Yeah there are places like buybacks and thrift shops that sell stuff pretty vheap but then again there are always those elusive shit. I restarted purchasing media when streaming sites became unreliable when stuff gets taken down. Looking at netflix since they recently took down shows i was still watching

No, but I still download movies legally.
The same thing that happened to music happened to movies as well: digital formats effectively won over physical formats, and they now dominate.
The only media that is still prevalent in physical form IMHO is books.

I only buy those I really like for for the sake of collectionism. Be it movies, tv series...
That said, I rarely ever watch movies outside of teathers. I enjoy watching them fresh on the big ass screen.

I still buy DVD movies but only if I like the franchise/series/film itself. I still buy and use blank DVD-R and CD's. For the random film I just torrent it. Blu-ray - I have no need for a player, cause 1. DVD's are still available, 2. my living room ain't the size of an auditorium, and 3 cause I can just torrent a 1080 ver of a film if need be. I rip all my dvds/cds cause it protects the disc from damage and its easier to watch on multiple devices. For tools I use FairUse Wizard, Imgburn,DVD Decryptor and DVD shrink.

Now to be fair, some series I torrent cause it'd cost me a lot of money to buy the dvd set. But on the flip side I've bought series (Law & Order 1990-2010) cause the torrents of it all sucked (poor quality,burned in subtitles,etc). The law and order set was over 100 dvds and I ripped every single one of them. Took me several months to do it but it was well worth it.

This reminded me to seek out Law and Order Criminal Intent set, That version is my favorite second to OG LandO then SVU.

Thanks.

>Even non-archival grade DVDs can last over 20 years.
Yeah, if you're lucky.

Whoaa, 512GB in 2000, what timeline we are?

>UI for retards

I only buy DVD+Rs for an additional backup for extremely important stuff