The JUST programming language

The Ethereum company that just lost over $100 million dollars of its stakeholders money is the author of one of its most used clients, Parity. The client is written in Rust, and they make a huge deal of how safe, secure, and "enterprise ready" it is (www.parity.io). Seriously, their entire site is just one such statement after the other.

On the one hand I believe in crypto, and this does have a negative effect; on the other, a lot of SJWs just lost a lot of money. Not sure how to feel desu.

Bad, you used "desu"

I thought desu was for making sentices more polite. Isn't that a good thing?

when will the rustlets ever learn?

newfag recently found out about word filters, thinking he's "rad" and "down" when pointing it out.

yes and no. desu is more polite form than da, but desu is copula.

what?

Okay they lost $100m that's bad and all but imagine what would've happened if they had DEREFERENCED A NULL POINTER

Crash some minor operation roll back all transactions.

I thought they just make a hard fork whenever something bad happens?

Educate yourself.

The bug is in code written in Solidity, which is a JavaScript-like language used to program Ethereum contracts.

Even if the bug was in Rust, Rust provides memory safety, it can't stop you from writing safe code with incorrect logic.

>it can't stop you from writing safe code with incorrect logic
Every Rust fanboy spouts "if it compiles, it works"

It will have a higher works to compiles ratio than most other languages, that's it.
I have never actually seen that argument though, not even in threads on Sup Forums.

And this was a logical error, meaning JUST wouldn't have saved them regardless. Learning to program is the only way to create safe code, not adopting meme languages.

>r-rust is safe! it's just like my peepee in a chastity belt
everywhere i see rustlets saying it's safe and if it's compiled then there's no security issues or buffer overflows. rustlets get a single cryptocuck website using it and they fail losing customers 100m. my bank which doesn't use rust never lost my money rustlet

Rust's safety does not compete with VM languages. Those are safe as long as the VM is safe.
Rust's advantage is that it compiles to safe _native_ code.

Why not completely eliminate an entire class of errors that keeps causing us issues when given the opportunity?

>sperging out while completely ignoring the content of the post you replied to

Give me one post (from here, a blog, literally anywhere) saying that memory safety prevents you from writing logically incorrect code. Doesn't even have to be about Rust.

Rust people say rust feel safe inside say memory safe.

Try that again but in English.

How strange,ethereum uses rust,such an inclusive,witty and SAFE language.

>you have to be a good programmer to make good programs
this is contrary to every claim the retard rustlets make everywhere. everybody always knew you had to be skilled to write good code that worked and there's magic bullet. it's the rustlets who are going around saying it's safe like a chastity belt and respects poc allies allowing them to code without toxic masculinity and white imperialism stopping them

>this is contrary to every claim the retard rustlets make everywhere
No, it's not.

you fucking devs of rust going on stages and saying how they're not good programmers, but rust makes them feel secure and lets them code properly. there was some dike just a couple days ago at some conference saying exactly that. fucking lying rustlet

You're regurgitating the strawman description created here by people who hate Rust for no reason other than muh sjw.
Rustlets wanted an expressive systems language that lets you write code that without security issues that plague C++ code. They very much succeeded.

>devs of rust saying how they're not good programmers
>one example by some irrelevant tranny at a free-for-all conference

>On the one hand I believe in crypto, and this does have a negative effect;
shitcoins aren't crypto

The Parity client is fine. The problem was with their own multisig contract. I'd like to see more discussion about Solidity on Sup Forums, not these petty language wars.

DELET THIS

Are you telling me you've never seen people say "if it compiles, it works"? Rust fanboys adopted it from FP shills.

Random comments on HN:
>Rust approaches the "if it compiles, it works" property
>I can feel confident that if my solution compiles, it works.
>Now I have four services running on production, all written with Rust. If it compiles, it usually works.
>The advantages of Rust so far have been: if it compiles, it works.
>I believe this is one of the main promise of Rust, even if it is not stated like that, if it compiles it works and it is safe.

Here's one that made the same observation:
>It often seems that every other post about Rust on HN says that if it compiles, it works.

Any thoughts on which language / model they should have used?
How did their project end up being constructed in a way which caused this?

C or Ada with the B method.

Fuck off

What

H A R D F O R K B O I S
A I
R O
D B
F K
O R
R O
K F
B D
O R
I A
S I O B K R O F D R A H

>implying any programming language will prevent wrong logic with good sintaxis from compiling

All software should be written in C. No exceptions.

this desu senpai

>Rust

why did rust make these anons so upset?

Because Rust is the most shilled language ever. Everywhere on the internet people are constantly shilling about muh safety and how you are CIA if you don't use it. If the language had merit they wouldn't need to rely on shilling it exhaustively.

>rust makes me feel safe and secure, i can do whatever i want now

> C over Rust
well the good client is actually in Go so go fuck yourself C lover idiots. C for cunts

FAKE NEWS

FUCK OFF NSA SHILL.
SEE