/spg/ - Smartphone General

Reminder to US annons. You may be living next to a new $75 Moto G5+. Check your zip code an the SKU 468426732

brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker

Old: If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/1JqjE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What type of screen protector should I but for this Moto E4? Plastic? Tempered glass? Full-front tempered glass?

okay so i'll just re ask from the last thread
buying a cheap phone, and want an opinion

Helio X20 redmi note 4 for ~$160
vs
Helio X20 LeTV LeEco Le S3 for ~$100

Just got my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 yesterday afternoon. My Note5's screen has started delaminating (which I guess is a common defect for them) and Samsung won't warranty it, so fuck them.

The Mi Mix 2 has dual Sims and is comparable with 42 different bands, so it works in the US, and any other shithole I decide to travel to. Good specs all the way around, compares well against the S8, but I am kicking myself a bit because I wanted to keep under $600, so I picked up the 128 gig memory model for $560, I should have sprung for 256 gig for ~$630.

The phone is really damn nice, and packaging and presentation is definitely way better than Samsung or Apple. It runs a version of Andriod called MIUI, and while it is certainly very usable, 9.0 is supposed to be releasing just about any day, so I'm withholding judgement until I can play with the new version. I do like it though so far though.

The ceramic body is beautiful, but it almost feels like it's made out of some weird frictionless material. Holding it is kind of like holding a bar of soap, it always feels like it's on the edge of slipping away. If I try to lay it on my thigh while taking a dump or something, it just starts to glide off to the side and I have to grab it before it falls. The phone absolutely needs a case of some sort.

I dig the phone, zero compatibility issues with T-Mobile, and comparable specs with Samsung flagships for several hundred dollars left, as long as there are no weird issues down the line I would 100% recommend.

I currently have a Google Pixel XL.
I'm tempted to either buy the Pixel XL 2, or try the Huawei Mate 10. Help me out here anons.

None, avoid Mediatek phones.

Depends on your needs and budget. If you want cheap protection and don't care about scratching on the protector, buy a plastic one. If you want a bit more expensive protection just buy a glass one, and for extra resistance buy a tempered glass one — full-front if you want.

Get the Mate 10 unless you value updates at all.

Which would you pick between these? Also the S8 is a possibility

The Pixel is still for sure as good as the day you bought it, why would you replace it? It’s a great phone.

Do you like Android or iPhones more? You can get the LG G6 for cheap, I don't know about the iPhone 7. The LG is a good phone, the only thing not as good is LG’s skin on Android.

Depends on the updates, but I figure the Pixel has them more consistently and less bloat, right?

I'm giving my Pixel to my sister since she wrecked hers.

Have iPhone 5 currently, sort've want to try Android. what about the skin don't you like?

You're insane if you pick a G6 over the S8. The S8 has a Snapdragon 835 where as the G6 had the one year older Snapdragon 820

Neither, get the SD625 Note 4 or SD652 LeEco

Not him but all Android skins that ship with phones and carriers often come with bloatware or garbage you can't disable unless you root your phone. I much rather prefer stock Android than a skin like LG or touchwiz. If you don't mind tinkering with your phones software then it's doable.

G6 has the best camera tho

Hey guys, looking for a new phone.

USA, AT&T, budget is 300$ (preferably around 200$) I have been looking at the lg v20, because of the camera and ir blaster, but the battery and the updates look like a problem. I have looked at Huawei phones, but I have read they are not good.. security... wise. The moto g5+ and the lg g5 are close runner ups. And I also have 200$ worth of Walmart store credit.

So what options does that leave for stock Android? Nexus/Google?

>5.5" 1080p AMOLED
>5.2" 720p E-Ink Carta II
>dual SIM or SIM+microSD
>Snapdragon 625 4GB RAM
>Front-mounted fingerprint sensor
>7.9 mm thin

Would you Sup Forums?

Android One devices like the Mi A1 or any phone with custom ROM/AOSP support.

BUMp

As much as I like E-Ink, that shit will get damaged.

How much and does it support American carriers?

LG V20 has a replacable battery and I'm pretty sure it has decent custom ROM support so updates shouldn't be a issue.

Not better or worse than many many other phones with a glass back.

Is a nokia 2 good for getting as a backup phone.

Can't answer that, they will lauch it in Russia and Europe at the end of this year.

You can put a case on any of those phones. A case for a dual screen phone may be more bulky or compromise protection for usability.

Would be perfect but
>No headphone jack
>A bit pricey
>No headphone jack

1800,2600,800 MHz
i.e. European bands

There is very little probability that a phone will land completely flat if you drop it.

>>No headphone jack
agree, sadly this meme is becoming wide in the industry.

That is one very ugly case

OEM may work around it though with making a case with flipping cover which can be flipped onto front when you want to use eink display.

Is this the best value for money phone right now? (considering updates, build quality, etc)

Yes.

Are Motorola phones somehow more botnet than other phones?

All phones are botnet. Only way to escape is to compile the OS and kernel yourself.

The botnet is more on the outside with state surveillance on the mobile carriers

even so, having a custom os and kernel wont save you from gsm triangulation.

mobile phone = tracking device

Shittiest phone on the market. It uses a fucking smartwatches processor and 1 gb ram is unusable nowadays

I never asked whether they were or not at all though. I asked if I should be somehow more worried about a specific brand.

This.
Unfortunately, currently there is no known way to fully get out of the cell phone botnet.
Even if you install Replicant and use FOSS applications only, you still have the GSM processor that can still be used against you.

is the rear camera good in your opinion?

I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Huawei Mate 10 (non-pro) version. Any reason why I should back up? I'm upgrading from my shitty LG G5

help me find a phone, Sup Forums
i want a phone with:
no camera (front or back)
no gps
ability to be a hotspot for my laptop
not a 'smart' phone (i only need to use primarily as a hotspot, secondarily to make phone calls and text)
is this possible?

OnePlus 5T or wait for iPhone X plus or wait for S9+?

5T or Redmi Note 5

Are iPhones on sale on Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

It's fine. I have taken maybe 4 pictures in the past 3 years, so it really wasn't even a consideration. But with comparisons I saw online it took better pics than the S8.

Just get a generic dumb phone and a 3/4g usb stick modem, swap the SIM card when needed.
Or get a smartphone and disable gps and cover the cameras with a tape.

Why not just get a hotspot?

Anyone else got the zenfone 3 zoom? I'm loving my consistent 2.5 day battery life

How can I modify an iconpack? I want to include some icons I'm missing

hotspot doesnt make phone calls

Do you guys use this pen for anything?

I tink I'm getting the Note over the cuckphone X but this pen seems like a waste.

Is the moto G5+ reliable? Seems like there's a lot of complaints on amazon.

What do you guys think about getting this LG Q6 for 219€? I feel that I'm falling for a big meme with this small bezel rounded edges thing, so I better ask for some opinions.

Mom just found out about singles' day and decides on the spot SHE HAS TO HAVE A NEW PHONE.

HALP.

>Has a 2015 Galaxy A5
>Complains about camera quality, especially depending on display brightness(???)
>Also complains about storage space
>I try to suggest installing a better camera app and a microSD card
>BUT WHAT IF THAT PHONE BREAKS DOWN user ITS 3-4 YEARS OLD ALREADY
>nevermind that phone only has 2 at best and she's wanting me to buy a chinkphone anyway

Can't find a dual SIM chinkphone with better hardware, storage and camera compared to what she has, while still meeting that budget.

Location is Brazil, carriers are Oi and Claro(although she's been considering switching from Claro to TIM).

pic related

Kill yourself moneky

Fuck off BR

Also act like an idiot with tech so you don't have to help people

wait what why the note 5?
money isnt really an issue for me, I just dont want to buy and commit to a device and regret not waiting a few more months

Anything stopping you from going with the mi a1? Pretty much an across the board upgrade, although the camera isn't amazing at night

Amazon is selling the G6 for $400 if you buy the one riddled with their adware and bloat. Is it still worth of you just root it and get rid of that stuff?

Is that with or without the new prime account discount?

Not just for new accounts but yeah it does have the prime discount.

This. Not upgrading mine until Google brings back the 3.5mm jack.

Is $220 a good price for a Google pixel xl 128gb? Would be upgrading from a oneplus one. Any issues that I need to know about this phone?

>People still fall for the glass meme

Very good yes.
It's a straightforward, nice phone.

Their ad supported versions usually aren't bootloader unlockable. They lock that shit down hard to keep you from fucking with it. You might not even be able to get root.

Damn, that's a shame. Guess I'll go try and see if Best Buy or something can price match me an actual unlocked one, though it might be a stretch.

run the developer rom to try miui 9, been pretty happy with it on my mi6. The camera app update makes it worth it alone

I'm tempted to get s7 edge exynos version. Any drawbacks except for touchjizz?

>buying old abandoned touchjizz devices

explain?

Can I do anything useful with an old Nokia Lumia 920?
Thinking of putting it on Ebay and getting whatever I can for it...

Are Li-Po batteries better than Li-ion? I have been reading up on this and it seems like they have better retention and don't age as much but they are not as common as Li-ion?

He's meming. S7 edge is good but the exynos version is not custom ROM friendly.

Li-Po batteries are more expensive but last longer.

help, I cant decide
either I go cheap with a mi A1 or i go more premium with a mi6 or mi note 3

i dont really play any games on my phone but I really hate lag
usualy have a lot of apps open
also camera needs to be decent enough

Mi A1 is what you want.

Could use it as a music player. That's what I did with my 920 after I retired it from phone use mid last year - it sits in the centre console of my car. It's also good as a backup phone.

Isn't this the other way around? That snapdragon is pretty cucked compared with Exynos?

I ordered a Mi A1. First Xiaomi device I even considered just because I find MIUI so offensive. Stock Android with this feature set at these prices... unheard of since the days of the Nexus phones.

Although that being said, MIUI is pretty aggressive in terms of controlling apps since Chinese developers are so terrible at optimizing them, and leaving just a few of the typical mainland China apps open will quickly bog down a phone. So it may run faster, but you pay dearly for that. Just close apps properly and you'll do fine.

You would probably do better just getting a used Galaxy S3 or something. Cheaper and just about as capable.

I personally think it's better just to keep an older phone around. I have a BlackBerry Bold 9700 I've had to use as a backup phone before. Makes calls, does text, and can even be hooked up to my email. So in other words it does 90% of what I needed it to do, and I could live without "muh apps" for a few days while my regular phone was repaired. Hell I've seen Blackberry Q5s being sold for $30, that's light years ahead of my Bold and would probably work just fine. No need to drop $100+ on some piece of shit intended for use Dalits in India.

Current phone: Lenovo vibe K5

Any of these better?

Honor 9 just got in whats the best rom to put on?

OnePlus 5T is looking like a decent phone desu I'm pretty excited. Someone also unboxed the phone

imgur.com/a/1JqjE

Would have liked to see OIS and Oreo out of the box. I hope that they don't raise the price.

>no camera (front or back)
>no gps
>not a 'smart' phone
Why? What's wrong with a cheap smartphone?

Alright I'm getting it.
I still would've preferred an lcd display, the oled shit is always too dark in sunlight. And it looks like they implemented that shit that Samsung does, it boosts the display in very bright areas. Plus onscreen keys with oled has to be implemented to not burn in.
I think nowadays an lcd panel is all around better, fuck colors.

How meme is the Note 8?

Don't buy Samsung if you don't plan to use a custom rom. And if you do, you could just buy a different phone because the camera and the battery optimization will be shit.

>that budget
what budget?

Wish it had expandable storage

What is the best cheap phone out right now? My mother has some old shittly LG prepaid and wants a new phone, but doesn't want my moto e 2 despite it being better than hers and that I could get us $75 savings by refering her to ting.
I'll probably just buy a new phone myself and give her mine.
Are moto E4's the best value phone right now? I'm looking at $130 or less, and unlocked. Should I keep an eye out for black friday stuff?

Yeah, Moto E4 is good. Black Friday is worth waiting for, should be some good deals then.

Not going to find anything better than the E4 for $40

Give me one single use case for writing with a pen on a phone.

$150, had an aneurysm while posting that.

Also just noticed it was a Galaxy E5 and not an A5.