/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtu.be/NhjiIPohUyw

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t0gkzLHONXk
youtu.be/9rBM7uwE2Bw
youtu.be/NgSYZIUrRkw
cousinsuk.com/product/domed-low-sternkreuz-n
cousinsuk.com/product/domed-slightly-sternkreuz-m
forums.watchuseek.com/f10/2209-vympel-poljot-luch-de-luxe-crystals-2636089.html
amazon.com/dp/B074MWWTVL/ref=twister_B074MV67RD?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
forums.watchuseek.com/f2/minimalist-chronographs-1328978.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What watches fit with the c o m f y c o r e aesthetic?

Hard mode: Not Nomos

Timex Marlin.

3rd for haute horologie.

Do you wear your watch when sleeping? If so, which one?

5th for concept watches

6th for the greatness of china

Mayer is pretty eloquent and nice to listen to but he's a bit serious. RJD, king of the manlets, is more entertaining even though he still hides his power level (warning: Seiko males should skip this):
youtube.com/watch?v=t0gkzLHONXk

Obsessed

eternal reminder

youtu.be/9rBM7uwE2Bw

youtu.be/NgSYZIUrRkw

im looking to replace my luch crystal with another high dome crystal

do you happen to know the difference between high dome with step and high dome without step?

Why would you want a high dome? I have that on the right and left and I think it is damn awful.
I'd recommend getting a low dome from cousins
cousinsuk.com/product/domed-low-sternkreuz-n
Or if you have the short seconds hand variant, you can try the domed slightly.
cousinsuk.com/product/domed-slightly-sternkreuz-m

Here's the WUS thread about crystal replacement on these watches:
forums.watchuseek.com/f10/2209-vympel-poljot-luch-de-luxe-crystals-2636089.html

Ive seen the thread and i don't know why but i just like high dome crystals. thank you though.

Hi guys I've been lurking here a few weeks now. I discovered this thread almost by accident, but I have to say that this stuff is tickling my 'tism. The little mechanisms all working together, the neat synchronization of all the little gears any springs, it's quite beautiful.
Can anyone say what it's like to work within the watchmaking industry? How did you get started? Should I just look for apprenticeships? Would they frown on a lack of machine shop experience? I have experience working with the public.
Or is it a dying trade? It seems to me like it's been through the automation-to-artisanal transition already but that's an outsiders perspective.

Zenith, I want to like you, but you do shit like this.

is this the new LE?

#1 Haute Horological Watch of All Time (36mm).

junghans

What was that "Buy of a lifetime" stainless steel watch the user kept posting? Something about it being under 2K

Nobody here actually has an inkling what the horology industry is like?

Just Google for a school

You'd have to go to school first. Some community colleges/city universities offer watchmaking programs. Then you'd likely end up going to school at the brand of your choice, if they accepted you (in Switzerland perhaps). Or anywhere at a Rolex Service Center for example etc.

Anyhow it sounds cool, I don't know what the pay's like or if there's room for growth.

think of the monstrosity as a prototype housing for the new technology. they're simply improving and creating new technology at the moment. that wretched thing isn't the face of the future for Zenith.

Or you could just wait until the watchmakers and battery monkeys show up.

Go to the school in pennsylvania.

Can I get a opinion on this?

Best dress watch options under $200-250?
Hard mode: not an Orient Bambino.
Impossibru mode: not larger than 38mm.

While I'm not him, I do have a 710 on a mesh bracelet and it fits pretty well on my 7 something bitchwrist. The smaller dial and large bezel help to make the watch seem smaller on the wrist than it is.

This is a Miyota movement isn't it?

Probably a Sea-Gull.

A lot of their other line up is listed as "Miyota automatic" and this looks like like the rest but I can't find it on their site.

they advertise the shit out of miyota's

Ok/10

>$400-500

there anything cheaper with the same style?

Junkers and Aristo, also give me a particular model you like and I'll find you something within your price range

Poljot De Luxe or Luch 23 jewels.

you're both close to being permanently blocked.

More like Poljot De LUCH!

Something like this?

save another $50 and get a Sarb033/35

It has three subdails, but yes. If you want to go EVEN more povo, there's a straight up Max Bill fake on Amazon.
amazon.com/dp/B074MWWTVL/ref=twister_B074MV67RD?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Junkers Bauhaus 6086-2 Chronograph

I'll post more ideas.

Buy on Black Friday, or buy used on Watchrecon if you can. great watches, you're sure to get compliments. highly-popular and loved pieces.

>watch named Junk-ers
>FeiKe chronoscope

I'm not sure which is worst..

no. it will break in a day.

laco Atlanta

(look up reviews on all of these)

forums.watchuseek.com/f2/minimalist-chronographs-1328978.html

Anything itt desu

Feike because Junkers actually means something and is pronounced Yun-kers.

Yeah I get that, I'm not asking to be spoon fed, I just wanted an idea of what the industry is actually like.
Are they mostly on US time?
Currently in bongland but thanks for the suggestion.

>Impossibru mode: not larger than 38mm.
If you don't mind quartz the Seiko Dolce SACM171 should be considered as it's 34mm.

If you cannot tell at a glance that that watch is AliExpress tier chink garbage with a German name slapped on it, I don't know what to tell you.

Trivia: there is still an operational Ju-52 and Lufthansa (formerly Luftwaffe) organizes annual commemorative flights on it as it used to be one of their first passenger machines post war.

t. aviationfag passing by

cop or not?

What did he mean by this?

may as well be an omega or Seiko.

the answer is no.

How is a blind man using this Malaysian macramé messageboard?

What do you mean by this?
Are you not familiar with Junkers?
Are you not familiar with "made in Germany"?
Are you not familiar with what "chink garbage" really is?

See this chart. Omega belongs at the bottom, so does Seiko.

Oh yeah nah that Feiko one is absolute dogshit, but it's pretty much the absolute bottom in terms of "I want a Max Bill but I'm fucking povo".

Name ten things on it that indicate chink garbage.

Oh boy, the new sun and moon looks pretty neat.

Certina, Tissot, Rotary?

Well the date window is correctly cut so this chink garbage is better than Omega.

>dat TUE

>swatch

A bit, but I absolutely hate it when subdials cut off numerals.

Oh shit, this triggers my autism.

Hate that day window

You got the brainlet version my friend.

The answer is that watchmaking (automatic) is consolidating hard, and that most watches are made by using mass machine parts which are given various levels of finishing.

If you want to work with metal I suggest you branch out a bit so you don't get stuck repairing chink movement mall watches all day.

I handled a Junkers in model in person and it was literally built and externally finished like a mall fashion watch. Junkers uses the absolute worst mineral glass crystals I've ever seen on a watch, and the overall fit and finish are poor enough to absolutely jump out at you in person.

(You)

They are cheap watches, dont get me wrong. But they arent chink garbage, they are cheap German shit. Pretty big difference really.

You realize they are 50.01% made in Germany in order to hit their sticker price, right?

its chinese made case, chinese mady crystal, chinese made strap, and half the movement is chinese made. It's only assembled in german so they can say they added most of the value to it there.
The german made stamp is more loose than the swiss made stamp.

The thing is your just making that up, you don't actually know. Have you seen the results to the checks done to give the "made in Germany" label? From what I can see it requires everything but the movement to be German made. That doesn't mean it's quality, just like swiss made doesn't mean quality, you can still get absolute shit from them.
"Assembled in Germany" is a different label with different laws.

Alright post your watch collections /wt/

Arent you that gold Luch guy?
How much was that seiko rectangle btw?

Should I buy a Rolex OP, 36mm blue dial Arabic on CREDIT CARD?

I have $100k US invested but I don't want to tap into that. I earn above average wages.

I want a Rolex but I want to feel like it's not making a dent in my finances.

Another way of looking at this Rolex, is it's like parking money, like gold coins in a safe. It's a counter cyclical safe asset.

Retard their watches say "made in germany" which is literally only 45%+ of the value needs to be from germany. Fuck ofd retard.
It's clear you're either a shill or have never held a junkers. They're as bad as poo in loo specials on ebay. Honestly horribly made.

No. If an entry level Rolex dents your finances you should wait until you are more affluent. You'll still be paying off the OP when you're already looking at adding a GMT Master once you're infected.

do what makes you happy m8. Buying it on credit will be a big mistake because of the interest. Faaar better to pay it all off when you buy it. Don't ever go into any sort of debt for luxury items.

I have said they aren't quality the whole time. I have said made in Germany doesn't mean quality the whole time. I have said aliexpress chink garbage is incorrect which is true. Get a grip you bell end.

What do you think about my suunto?

Yea decided to just post my seikos only for now. The gold one I got for about $45

>are you not/do you not XXXX
hi redd*t

Kind of out of date at this point.

how often do you wear that GS?
and whered you get that weird black asain watch on the left? its pretty effay

What is the reference # on that wood dial looking one?

I really need to get around to finding a watchmaker to service the Geneve Dynamic. I want to start wearing it regularly.

I'm not your fucking accountant. It's a nice watch, though.

don't do an archie

Nothing that special, the Chinese shitter is much nicer than I expected it to be.

I wear the GS a lot actually. When it's raining for example I often grab it instead of one of my vintage pieces.

The black watch is a vager Hauers Shi Chen watch. Available on good stuffs.

The wood dial is a citizen cosmotron 7803. I don't know a lot about citizen model numbers but the caseback says 4-790588 TA

Very nice case shape on that Accutron, post more pics from different angles.

Finally took a new picture.

I would if I was at home, unfortunately I'm wearing the Chinese shitter today as it tends to go better with t-shirts.

Also, as requested, here is a shot of the crown on my 1967 Seikomatic-P 5106-8010. This watch has a hexagonal push button inside the crown for advancing the date (but not the day which doens't quick-set). Always make absolutely certain any Seikomatic-P/Presmatic you buy has the original crown because you can't get them anymore.

Just how trustworthy is buying on this site?
Is there some kind of insurance?

Looking at a 4.5-star seller, 51 ratings, listed since 2016.