Grieving Son ‘Recreates’ Father With A.I

''With his father dying from cancer, grieving son, computer programmer and inventor James Vlahos, used artificial intelligence to create a digital “chatbot” version with which he can interact even after his father passed away.''

youtube.com/watch?v=FFWsZ-lOotA

In describing the impetus for his invention, Dadbot, he said:

>"We were losing my dad. I and my family, we just wanted to kind of preserve him in any way we could."

At the Web Summit in Lisbon, Portugal, Vlahos introduced his invention to the rest of the world. He describes Dadbot as a “chatbot that you interact with on Facebook Messenger that allows me or anyone who uses it to send little messages and get messages back.” The goal, he said, is to provide his father with “artificial immortality.” In an era of “conversational AI’s” like Siri and Alexa, Dadbot is a “quest” to discover “how much can you create a persona and represent it through an AI.” Vlahos added:

>"I get a lot of people who have reached out and just said, like, “I wish I had something like this for my dad.” So it sparked this discussion of the topic of virtual immortality, of finding new ways through technology to keep the memories of people we love around. Using the Dadbot makes me happy. It reminds me of my Dad. But then there are moments where it's also upsetting because it's not him."

Vlahos wrote about his experience developing Dadbot for the August issue of WIRED magazine. The question left unanswered, however, is whether his invention is helping with the grieving process, or extending the pain of his loss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xg29TuWo0Yo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He'll die inside like that Black Mirrors episode. Some things should stay dead

youtube.com/watch?v=xg29TuWo0Yo

that sex though :

What did I just watch.

Robot sexdolls are on the way :)

There's a Black Mirror episode about this.
It's a bad idea.

People should stop being such protective pussies and accept life.
This is what we get for giving prices to second places and telling our kids how special snowflakes they are.

>robot sexdoll ai modelled after your father
what the fuck you freaks

Seems like a waste of time and an insult to his father.
>Lol I don't mind you're dying, dad, I have a computer program to replace you
If I were the father I'd just pull the plug on myself because my son is such a disappointment.

Can I have a Hitler pls?

Nevermind.
I forgot we already had AI Hitler but Microshit took it down.

i want a holohitler on my desk

>not having a loving bond with your father that transcends blood
You need to experience TRUE love

>holohitler
YES

This is normie level misunderstanding about AI. How articles like this are published and eaten up by supposed technologically informed people is a mystery.

you thought that was weird? try living near william's street.

Ohh I'm sorry for blaming you
For everything I just couldn't do
And I've hurt myself by hurting you

I did this shit with my ex-girlfriend some 15 years ago, a fed like 2 MB of her trimmed lines from our chatlogs into an IRC chatbot and continued to chat with her like that after breaking up.

This is NICE WATCH 10 YEAR OLD BOY INVENTS COMPUTER tier news.

Why didn't you just move on like a normal human being?

I did after a while, but it was an important cathartic experience and exercise.

slow down liberal arts major I can't understand your advanced language.

I wouldn't even need a alarmclock, I would wake up on time every day to Sieg Heil it.

>likes/dislikes disabled
Gee wiz

>we wanted to preserve him in any way
could have made a nice stuffed daddy out of his corpse
would have been less weird

This needs a "my son" meme