The great debate

The great debate

Other urls found in this thread:

deskthority.net/wiki/ANSI_vs_ISO
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I really dont notice a difference but ISO looks more aesthetic

ANSI

iso backslash pinky pain

All are great as long as the backspace isn't just one key wide.

ISO, ANSI is shit.

German ISO

They're both bad but ANSI is better by a wide margin.

QWERTZ desu, m8

ANSI by a mile. Fuck that weird ass enter key.

it's not much of a debate, you use what you're used to and fuck that other guy

>ISO
different size shift keys

>AltGr

>Having an enterlet keyboard

never gonna make it

Dúmb áméríçúnŧ·

Anything non-nordic, this shit hurts.

but ANSI has the fucked up enter key user

ANSI, i hate the symbol placement of ISO

>The virgin L
>The chad rectangle

I've been using ISO for more than a decade, switched to ANSI and I like it way more. ISO enter key is cancer.

fat enter for life

What is AltGr

Alternate Gravity

Works only in Europe because we have the supercolider, makes you lighter basically

ANSI is the masterrace, but even I will take ISO over JIS anytime.

I love Japan with all my heart, but seriously, fuck that tiny backspace key.

Symbol layout =/= key shape. I have ISO, but I still have @ at 2. It's mostly the same, aside from obviously having an extra key in the lower left, and missing one in the upper right.

ISO. Easier to reach the backslash and so on

>makes you lighter basically
But not less dense, sadly, so, you know, still a fat ass.

Right alt

I'm in the UK and use both ISO and ANSI. Not hard switching from one to the other. The only reason I use ANSI mind you, is because there was a greater number of ANSI mech boards out back when they first started coming out, and for the small chink runs in the early days, like the first runs of Pokers.

I only use it to type €.

what you use about 50% of the time if you're programming on a nordic keyboard.

iktf

i prefer ANSI but still, that shit can be optimized by putting a shorter right shift key, its fucking massive and a waste of space

plebs

ansi. the positions of keys like " \ are stupid as shit on iso. also that tiny shift key on the left, ew. why would the caps lock key be bigger than the shift key? you can tell already from that they're trash on a keyboard
what's the point of a japanese keyboard when you use jpn ime to type anyway? it's a lot more intuitive to use ime than learn all the bullshit positions of hiragana

>placement of and *
What were they thinking

>the positions of keys like " ... are stupid as shit on iso.
Literally the same.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

?

Ofc iso.
I use programmer's dvorak

This

You just went full hipster

What kind of gay ass country keeps their @ under the Q? It's under the 2. € is 5.

UK ISO

Goymany.

That looks worse than azerty even, holy fuck. And do you really need the μ that often?

are you brain damaged? jesus christ. i guess this is what happens when your brain is on iso instead of ansi

literally can't sensibly use my preferred layout on ANSI

What? The " is in the same position on some ISO, ISO doesn't say that " is in a different position than ANSI.
You just don't understand what ISO is.

ISO

In day to day use? Absolutely not. In scientific cases, sure.

>how many layers are you
>like,, maybe two or three layers my dude
>you are like a little baby. watch this
>NEO,JPG.PNG.WebP
Also pic related

ISO any day of the week

>The virgin rectangle
>The chad L

anyway, the L-shape is compatible with people familiar with both layouts, whilst the ANSI layout has me missing enter alot of the time.

ANSI

But I'm a macfag

UK ISO masterace

this.

ISO is just fucking stupid,

why is the right shift key, the one I use most often, small as fuck? no programmer can use that because the slash key is hidden away right next to that puny shift key

ANSI til the day I die

this

The right shift key is the same on both layouts, user.

>slash key is hidden away right next to that puny shift key
Slash is shift+7
Backslash is AltGr+ß
That tiny key you mentioned is and |

The worst thing though is that { is AltGr+7 and } is AltGr+0

ANSI

ansi layout on iso keyboards works fine and is arguably a little better whereas iso isn't fully compatible on ansi keyboards so iso wins by default

the only redeeming thing about the jis layout is when you can use a custom controller so you can reassign the thumb buttons to shift keys, the small backspace is a little shitty but on 60% boards it makes a lot of sense to rebind the key next to the backspace for delete so you get easy access to backspace and do have a dedicated delete key
standard jis is absolutely cancer though, especially with the non-existent right

bigass enter go home

you get used to using the right shift for programming keys on ansi but both layouts have retarded positions for the programming keys

deskthority.net/wiki/ANSI_vs_ISO
this is your brain on iso. you can't even understand simple sentence after you're on an iso keyboard.

iso keyboard is SHIT for people who use the keyboard. iso was designed for crap languages and facebook users not programmers or people typing a lot

>why is the right shift key, the one I use most often, small as fuck?
>you can't even understand simple sentence after you're on an iso keyboard.
you said the RIGHT shift key was smaller when you meant to say the left shift key was smaller
>just pretending to be retarded

>brainlet can't tell left from right
This is your brain on ANSI.

>this is your brain on ANSI - unable to comprehend simple english sentences

i didn't say anything. that's him who said it. i'm just not an iso brainlet so i knew what he meant. this is what happens when you're an ansi user your brain doesn't shrink so you can auto-correct simple mistakes and understand what they meant

ANSI
iso has that pig disgusting enter key

bane of my existence

t. canadian multilingual

What's the name of the layout with a ⅃-shaped enter and the backslash before a 1-key-sized backspace? Used to have one like that in the 90's and it was comfy as fuck. Do they make them anymore?

one is used by irrelevant countries
the other is ANSI

Not really a debate - ISO is better in every single way.

>3DKeyD

The L is bigger than the rectangle
L>rectangle

What the actual fuck am I looking at?

navigation + number layer

kek

ISO, of course.
> muh big Enter Key

I used ANSI all of my life, and started using ISO after switching to a Model F XT as my daily driver (well, not quite ISO, but more of an absolute clusterfuck that happens to share similarities with ISO).

Gotta say, for the most part, I prefer the layout of ISO. The vertical enter key is a little more comfy to hit, in my opinion, since it's parallel with your little finger, as opposed to perpendicular. Of course, this comes at the expense of slightly more travel.

I also really prefer the position of the position of the tilde, very comfy for typing ~/. I like the way | is positioned since you can hit shift with your little finger and then rock your ring finger into it, and I think the \ is in a good spot for escape characters and the like, but I would probably dislike it if I was having to type in Windows directory paths all the time.

ISO, it's not even a debate. ISO has more keys, looks better and the Enter key is much easier to hit. Why the fuck is the left shift on ANSI so big anyways?

>People who are discussing the position of different symbols when that depends entirely on your keyboard language and not ANSI or ISO

>Why the fuck is the left shift on ANSI so big anyways?
Aesthetics

>Why the fuck is the left shift on ANSI so big anyways?
programming keys and " being under the ' key instead of being under the 2 key means you kind of need a bigger left shift

it's completely shit

i have to use ANSI on a spanish keyboard

dumb monkeys use the wrong keys for everything, some are way too small

Where are you from?

I use ansi on a uk iso keyboard, the keys will be in the 'wrong' positions but you at least get the full layout whereas if you try to use something like qwerty on a uk layout you don't get the pipe character among other things
if the characters being in the wrong spot bothers you then you can use something like autohotkey to rebind the characters to the correct positions

>something like qwerty on a uk layout
qwerty (us)* on a uk iso keyboard*

remapping keys on linux is ... better not to try

the worst are " and @ out of place and - with ?

i always forget i'm not at home each time i have to use someone else's machine

Pic related variant of ANSI is the true patrician's choice.

>the worst of both cases
>patrician's choice

Is it wrong I actually like the tiny backspace?

It's a switch for 3rd and 4th level

ANSI all the way. ISO has a tiny Left Shift and a shitty vertical Enter key.

dieser typ versteht es

ISO is for SJWs, trannies, hippies, liberals and commies

Why they don't make these anymore?

because its shit

Big ass enter and space are a mistake.