Guess who's getting a Libreboot T400 bitcheeees

Guess who's getting a Libreboot T400 bitcheeees

Cool user. Purchasing or are you flashing yourself?

libreboot is made by a SJW tranny....

Triggered? lol

>Libreboot
i'm sorry

enjoy that useless piece of shit i guess

KEK

epic...

And yet will still end up cucking me less than Microsoft, so I say it's a win.

Cool. I'm posting from mine right now. Fedora with Cinnamon is comfy on it and super fast on an SSD. It's a pretty nice laptop, and the mediocre display and battery life are the only downsides.

Purchasing. I've flashed other Linux distros before, but I've always had the benefit of proprietary drivers holding my hand. Once I get more familiar with Trisquel, I'll probably feel more comfortable flashing my own in future

Display does seem like a downside. What are we talking in terms of battery life? I'm used to gayming laptop, so my standards might be lower than yours

Anywhere from 2-4 hours on a new battery. It's easily removable so you can bring multiple batteries with you, though no hotswapping. I still have the original one from 2008 that holds a charge for like 1.5-2 hours.

Nice! Best x86 laptop you can get that's fully debotneted.

Well shit that's actually way better than what I'm currently working with. My y50 is getting old and can only handle like 1.2 hours on battery now

Meh. Call me when Sandy/Ivy thinkpads are librebooted.

>"dah sjws ruining mah safe spaces!!!111!1"
>"save us daddy Trump!"
What a good goy we got here, yes keep hating those who are trying to protect your freedoms. (((Trump))) will take care of everything goy hehehe

I too would like to see greater processing power out of a libre machine. However, I'm not disappointed with the one I have currently at least for what I use it for (shitposting, browsing, music)

Hey, I have one of those ancient C2D shitboxes. Are you telling me I can install this half-broken free-as-in-autism bootloader on it and sell it to you basement dwellers for inflated prices?

Yes. Install a freetard distro and you have a marketable autismachine.

Yeah, just DO NOT buy chink batteries. The real Lenovo ones are more expensive but they'll last years, whereas the $20 knockoffs die in 3-6 months, or in my case one leaked shit all over my desk and ruined it. Luckily it wasn't in the ThinkPad when that happened. Seriously, don't take your chances with chinkshit batteries.

You can Coreboot them and use ME Cleaner to strip out the Intel Management Engine firmware so that it can only do basic hardware initialization and control the watchdog that causes boot loop issues. It's obviously not the same since Coreboot integrates small amounts of non-free firmware and doesn't take care of the ME on its own. Coreboot is cool though because of payload choices and flexibility and is an open source project which Libreboot is based on. I have a ThinkPad T420 with Coreboot with SeaBIOS as a payload and a stripped ME firmware. You can even boot Windows on them if you wanted to, which Libreboot doesn't offer.

TLDR Coreboot+ME Cleaner isn't perfect but it's pretty close.

how do you know the tranny who makes libreboot isn't spying on you

> OP thinks he is safe from (((they)))
> Doesnt know about processor residual backdoors

Goody goy!!!

Because it's open source and the tranny writes decent documentation on it. I've reviewed some of the code and I haven't found anything suspicious in it, and it's fairly well written.

fair enough.

nice timing you faggot... they found an exploit that enables them access to the CPU from a fucking usb port so yea your meme bot worths shit

I was under the impression that exploit was based on Intel's management engine, which this does not have

Give me an example of a residual processor backdoor

It's not accessing the CPU, faggot. The exploit is for a coprocessor that can control the CPU, so it's even worse. Libreboot disables it completely.

>so yea
I see people using this worthless drivel all the time. Get the fuck out, underage faggot.

That's exactly what it is. Older Intel chipsets from before 2006ish is safe, and so is Libreboot hardware. You can also use ME Cleaner to strip down the ME firmware on newer Core i series machines but beware that it leaves behind a module or two. Basically, the ME firmware partition is on the same ROM chip as the computer's BIOS. You get an SPI clip and dump the ROM with it. You then take the extracted .bin and run the ME Cleaner Python utility on it and get a modified .bin file that you can flash back, since you're working with EEPROM here. The ME firmware is modular, and has two or three vital parts. The first is the FPT (firmware partition table) that was found to be writable and unsigned, which is why this works. The FPT also has a checksum which can also be modified. The FPT is modified and all modules are stripped out except the ROMP (present on some chipsets, loads the BUP) and then there's the BUP (stands for bring up, does low level hardware initialization). Every module after that like the kernel, networking, serial interface emulation, and everything AMT related can be removed. There is a possibility that an attacker could still create malware that reinstalls the kernel and loads malicious modules and such but they would have to have physical access, since the ME firmware partition is never writable from the OS level, and updates are applied though the ME itself. So if there's no kernel there to manage updates, the attacker is SOL.

it doesn't change anything

>it doesn't change anything
Trannies have a high suicide rate, not a good idea to build your tech stack on top of anything they work on because the support might not be there later

Sorry the only mentally ill software write I trust is Terry

hijacking the thread, don't mind me
how can one be sure that the modified bin produced by me cleaner wasn't modified by "them" before flashing? must it be cleaned on a libreboot machine for no holes in muh tinfoil?

What the fuck is the benefit of libreboot?

You can compile it yourself if you're paranoid

Everything in it is libre, no proprietary code on it. Everything is publicly reviewable.

I'm gonna flash my t420 with coreboot today, soldered some jumper wires yesterday.
Wish me luck

x220 owner here...
getting that libreboot any day now...
yep...
any day

>Soldered
Why not just use the clip?

You got coreboot though!

right but if i compile it on a computer with intel me present, wouldn't that give them an attack vector?
For example
./make me_cleaner && clean bios.bin
then "they" see 'fred's trying to get rid of our backdoor, let's put another in'

You make ME cleaner on the pi you're ripping the bios onto.

This way I don't have to disassemble it every time I want to flash it

You're not going to be flashing it that often, are you?

shit im fucking retarded sorry

The RPi boot loader is non-free

But it's not owned by (((intel)))

The t420 will boot fine all taken apart. You should also be compiling/ripping everything twice, and ensuring that they're the same.

It's my first time corebooting so I'm sure I will fuck up something and if I only notice it later I'll have a easier time fixing it

Sorry, you're too fast man.
Anyway, what's done is done and soldering it was easy since there are solder pads to access the flash chip

Whatever works, I guess. Is it at least aesthetically pleasing? Are you hiding the wires under the ram door? Do you have em in a block?

Yea, the wires are under the ram door. Had to remove the wwan card bit i'm not going to use that anyway

>Everything in it is libre, no proprietary code on it. Everything is publicly reviewable

So what? How is that a benefit?

Freedom