What terminal music player do you use and why?

What terminal music player do you use and why?

mplayer, it just werks.

CMus. Does everything I need it to do and has no real downsides for me. It's lightweight and it doesn't get in my way. It also works straight out of the box with no configuration or other fuckery. I just navigate to the music directory and select a song.

alias p='mpv --no-video'

i don't need anything else.

mpd and ncmpcpp. it's got the best stuff for what i want. i like the features better than foobar. you can have separate playlists, but you've also got a super playlist where you can throw everything. you can add random stuff to it. the search future and how it reads all your music is great too. i was skeptical about it but it's really the best i think

>terminal music player
you gotta be niggering me ... half my shit is now gigantic .flac with .cue

anyhows got me thinking....

whats command for random play of a music file inside a folder from the top tree of the drive ?

possible or would you have to index the drive first ? think of it as" ipod shuffle play d:/"

bumping because if op or anyone cant shuffle via the command line [pic related]

cmus, because it works.

I use spotify

VLC
L
C

find x | shuf | xargs musicPlayer

mpd and mpc, with binds to play, pause, skip, and shuffle in my i3 config.

>cli music player

Why wouldn't you use a cli player, especially if you use the shell most of the time? its faster, as doesn't require opening another application while you are coding.

ncmpcpp

I use AIMP :3

MOC. Have you seen that interface? Is what every other music player wants to be. It helps that you can close the interface and keep playing music. I tweaked the three layouts a bit, is fucking cool.

mplayer "$(find . | sort -R | head -n1)"

Hey that's clever.

mopidy+ncmpcpp

I just want to use spotify because I got on to a family plan so its free for me. Its not that bad desu, but I just wish I didn't have to use this bloatware to get to it

mpd with ncmpc

Why do you all pretend you’re 1337 coders.

You’re fucking hobbyists in a basement.

Use normal things like normal people and FUCK OFF AUTIST

MOC

It just werks. Plus it was the first I used and it will probably be the last. it's so gud

xmms2 for terminal only
for gui xmms2+lxmusic

this.

why would i waste screen space with an open shell if i'm coding?
i just press alt+3, press / and start typing song name, hit enter and alt+tab to go back to where i was

cmus

mah niggas, check this layout on the config
#LAYOUT
Layout1 = directory(50%,50%,50%,50%)
Layout2 = playlist(50%,50%,50%,50%)
Layout3 = directory(0,0,40%,100%):playlist(40%,0,FILL,FILL)

None of them seem to be able to play .flac/.ape+.cue properly and I don't want to convert everything, so I don't use terminal music players.

moc:
> simple
> key binding
> based on directory structure
> work as service
> has remote control

Use 'find . -type f' to not get directories

You can use a TTY for the music player.
You can put the shell on a dedicated workspace.
You can put the shell in a floating window.
You can put the shell in a floating window on the scratchpad in i3 so you can always hide/show it from whereever.
You can Super+D in i3 and type 'ncmpcpp {play,stop,next,prev}' etc to control it with no open shell (essentially, use a virtual console, most WMs give you one).

Fucking this.
Cmus
/thread

... and of course, you can use your WM to bind the commands to your keyboard so you never even have to open it unless you want to change the playlist. With mpd or a similar daemon / player service you can just cue the files, then close that shell and keep doing whatever.

I play .flac with MOC, have you try it?