Are laptops genuinely shit?

I've been on the fence lately. I want a computer that goes with me but after a bad run-in with my toshiba I've sticked to desktop building. Faster performance, better durability, upgrade options, and did I mention not worrying about it breaking for some weird fucking reason? So what's the deal? I wouldn't mind dropping a good amount of cash on a high speed laptop but is it just going to break after a year?

>toshiba
Cheap garbage.

Get old thinkpads or an HP workstation (8770w).

That's what I've heard. I just can't seem to find a good quality build laptop. I've only owned two. I hear thinkpads are pretty good. I need an i7 for sure as I plan on running multiple vmwares. I also need something to get out of the house and away from stupid "responsibilities" that don't pay me and aren't even that important. I owned an hp tablet and it was awesome. Is acer shit too? They seem too good to be true. I wanna drop at least a grand on a laptop or desktop.

Yes they are. Does anyone know of a laptop with actually good (15 hrs) battery life? I don't want a fucking top tier i7 or a dedicated GPU or any of that shit, I literally just want to be able to code and browse the web and not have to bring my charger everywhere. Currently using a downclocked (1.5 GHz), downvolted XPS 13 (2016) which gets about 8-9 hours with arch and i3 in this configuration

I heard that the core M is pretty good and is somewhere between an i3 or i7. Not the newer i3s or i7s but the 3 or 4th gen. Don't take my word for it. I've never owned a core M. I need to program and run multiple vms.

For that amount of money, you can get a dell with 17'' i7 (hq) with 8gb ram and a gtx1050ti, 7200rpm hd of 1tb

So probably less than a grand should be ok unless you really need a workstation

Get a Mac

I've been considering a thinkpad, I just need a lightweight (Will be traveling alot), good battery, and good build quality. I'll be using it for back end development (PHP, mySQL, Django python, mobile emulation), and a little bit of photo editing. I'm open to either 13 or 15 inch but HDMI output is nessesary

I have seen 2015 XPS laptops that are nice going for 400$, is there a better option? Preferably under 600$ and I don't need to be playing games.

For me it all boiled down to what would I be doing on a laptop to warrant it

I'm not going to game on a fucking laptop. Watch movies? Use my tablet. Read manga, comics, novels? Use my tablet. Shitpost on Sup Forums? Tablet again. Hell all of that can be done on my phone.

Laptops only really shine for work and school. And even then a tablet with attachable keyboard would also work.

God that pic is spot on.
There is nothing laptop companies blatantly lie about as much as battery life.

>from $1299
I mean they're nice but not that nice

Lmao I made the exact same reasoning but for laptops instead of tablets. Different tastes I guess.
But man, you can't say shitposting on Sup Forums is better on a tablet. That's just ridiculous.

Modern MacBooks like he posted aren't even nice at all. The keyboard alone is garbage.

I've been using the Dell XPS 13 2015 edition. Battery life is exactly as they advertised: 7 hours. It lasted me almost an entire flight's worth of use when I flew to Asia this past winter for business.

thinkpads or latitudes only. nothing else.

No one flys to asia for business. Just say you went to go bang lady boys in thailand

ARM laptops would have great battery life.

Are good ARM laptops still being made?

Not him, but I did both.

I charge my mac book air over night and it lasts all day

>still
Were they ever?

ok boss whatever you say. but seriously, go for the 2015 edition of the XPS 13. The new ones with dem fancy touch OLEDs are fucking garbage and also battery munchers

>I just can't seem to find a good quality build laptop. I've only owned two.

Holy shit, are you me? I've been extremely disappointed with the laptops I've owned, and for that reason I stick to my desktop computer and my smart phone.

It's really annoying though, because I do a lot of writing, and a laptop would probably be ideal for situations where I'm away from my desk, such as laying in bed. Typing on my phone is so slow and formatting is impossible.

A few years ago I bought a laptop from Best Buy and returned it the next day because I hated how it felt. I haven't tried again since.

I only use mine in class and I only have to charge it like every 3 days
got my memepad in my dorm room for everything else

I use it to watch videos and live streams so it generally lasts 24 hours for my uses.

I'm just using it for Internet browsing and Microsoft Office it never dies.