How well did you do in all your math requirements for CS? Am I a bad programmer if I'm not acing them...

How well did you do in all your math requirements for CS? Am I a bad programmer if I'm not acing them? I'm doing perfectly fine in my CS related classes, but struggling in the math department, which makes me wonder if CS is for me.

anyone?

only time math really comes in is algorithm complexity.

TFW your the exact opposite

No. Most CS-fags are completely oblivious in that department. Unless you're specifically aiming at some specialization that deals with math a lot, you shouldn't be too worried.

t. used to tutor CS-brainlets in babby analysis and LA

I see, that gives me some hope.
Just felt a bit overwhelmed with all the math requirements and was starting to think this was just a math major in itself.

As long as you pass them it's fine. You don't even need anything past high school math if you do web dev or sonething similar.

I'm just curious what Sup Forums scored in their math classes so I don't feel like a complete cs brainlet.

CS maths are easy as fuck.

I went bad in highschool, passed first maths course in uni, failed second one but was given a second exam and passed that.

You only need maths if you are going into compiler optimization or AI (both are memes desu)

This. Nobody gives a fuck about maths in the real world. None of the devs at work could differentiate when someone asked us a few weeks ago.

>Requires Calc 1-3
>Shitty at trig because all the concepts from my previous math class didn't carry over to it well
I'm doomed

What were your grades in the following courses:

Pre-calculus
Calculus of One Variable I & II
Principles of Physics I & II
(I believe this is all the math required for a CS degree)

You should understand Calculus but if algebra has you in a huff about solving hard integrals I wouldn't get all pissed off about it.

When I was still a CS major I don't think Calc 3 or Differential Equations were even a requirement. I ended up switching to engineering so math is more but even when I'm doing programming at work I spend more time fucking with file encodings than I do with math

Outside of the classroom I've used maybe one trig identity in my life and it was just to convert a cosine to sine to simplify something. You'll survive.

Not him but C, C, and C, and I love writing C code.

Discrete mathematics will be your quintessential mathematics course.

Failing in calculus isn't necessarily an indicator that you lack a mathematical brain.

CS majors (and all other engineering majors) for that matter never have a real introduction to actual maths. Its all just derivations of computation: calculus, diff eq, etc.

Real math starts with discrete math/mathematical structures, explores real and complex analysis, topology, optimizations, stochastic, graph theory, abstract algebra (group/ring/field theory), number theory, etc.

pre-calculus is taught at amerigoblin unis? top kek

first order logic and numerical precision both hit hard

The standard math 101 in college in Calculus but you can retake all your high school math classes usually especially at community college.

precalc equivalent (maths extension 1 NSW): rank 51/68 of my school
Calculus of one variable (uni maths 1): 60% (highly scaled imo)
Calculus of one variable 2 (uni maths 2): 44% which was bumped up to 50% after completing second chance exam

Didn't do any physics but did some intro to electronics which had stuff on RC/RL circuits and got around 60% on it

I basically aced all the required math classes. Did so well I actually got all the math including senior level ones like automata done by end of sophomore year.

Sadly I'm actually struggling in all the actual programming ones. I can't code for shit. I can't even remember how to rotate a binary tree or write a hash function from the top of my head. I keep failing my coding interviews. I'm un-hireable :(

How did you pass with 50 and 60%?

70% is a c

If you didn't do well in the math placement test you do. Not a big deal

and this is despite you putting in huge efforts to learn those programming topics too

I don't think discret math is a requirement for my college

probably because tests are harder than yours. i.e. you need the same amount of knowledge to get 50% here as you need to get 70% where you live

>From the top of my head
Nobody does, because you'll never need to. If you understand the concept, you're good

So what's your failing grade over there? 40%?

49.9%

Bullshit. freshmen level university courses are pretty standardized since they are always taught by non-tenured professors.

your schooling system is so out of touch with ours that we don't even know what a freshman is.

I'm starting to think I should have just majored in math. Don't feel bad though if you aren't great at it. What you need to understand is logic mainly, finite state machines, and stats if you're interested in all the cool stuff in CS. But otherwise it's kind of a pass and never see it again for most people just trying to do shit like web dev.

But you will in your interviews that's the thing. There's too many to remember from the top of my head. I've gotten too many "That does work but could you improve it by perhaps using a X" I go blank and give up.

isn't web dev more for tumblr/reddit?

>you will never use math again!! t. sper/g/o
if you're aiming for a pajeet job perhaps...

I have a degree in CS and still had to pick up extra books just to keep up at work

Failing grade is 49%. To get a second chance at an exam you must score between 45-49

19/30 analysis

Sounds like you gotta grind leetcode and read cracking the coding interview. I hear elements of programming interviews(or something like that ) is good too.

I read somewhere that there's a site you can subscribe to that has sample questions from different companies that are accurate. I think it's called interviewcake

i find that nothing feels better than constant mind and body stimulation

>you can retake all your high school math classes
pre calculus was an AP college level course at my high school i'm pretty sure, didn't take until now in college

>compiler optimization
>meme
Throw yourself off a cliff.

>How well did you do in all your math requirements for CS?
Very poorly for my calculus classes, which I had to retake several of. I also had to retake stats. I did better in my discrete math classes.
>Am I a bad programmer if I'm not acing them?
No. Calculus is only a requirement in most degree programs due to historical reasons (it's needed for other engineering or scientific disciplines.) Computing is fundamentally not based on continuous math so calculus literally cannot be applicable.

i dropped out because of this shit
not just math, did bad in physics, mechanics and electronics as well

I've got perfect score for Algebra and near-perfect for calculus, trig and also laplace transforms(whatever the course name is in english)

what defines calculus anyway?

derivitables?

it is the study of relationship of change between variables . it was invented by isaac newton

Had two shitty calc lecturers in 1st and 2nd year and I scraped a pass on one and got like 60 something on the other.

First one would give us brutal multiplication matrices where you'd be doing some painful calculation like -8 * 8 and 1/5th to get what you wanted (without a calculator). He did this on purpose to catch out people who didn't attend his lecture and copy down the examples. If you didn't write out exactly what he wanted, he'd just give you a zero. This included QED. He was THAT professor.

Second one was a woman who just read the slides and hadn't a clue what was going on. She had prepared answers from a book and would just read them out loud whenever anyone asked anything.

Finally in third year I got a real math prof for formal designs, which was proofing programs using boolean algebra. It was harder than anything I'd done before but he was really good and I got a few 80+ marks and on my final exam I think I got like 65 cause I fucked up one q badly (I did no study for it)

I went back and started learning math/calculus/stats for myself, so I'm much better at it now than I was before.

The biggest problem with math is there are shit teachers who couldn't so much as tell you what the definition of a coefficient is let alone explain what it is.

In almost all my school experiences pre college teachers would just read from the book and solely refer to the book when questioned.

Sorry to follow up I'm making £38k as a web developer now that will probably grow to $46k when I put 4 years in.

In my experience the only thing that matters is being relatively competent at arithmetic and numerical calculation. That and big O complexity or lambda calc, basically just be competent at complexity as others have said.

or just use wikipedia

The only math my college requires for CS is Discrete Math and a statistics and I am a firm believer that if you want to be software engineer that is all you need.

Me personally? I ended up taking way more math. I'm shit at programming

So I ended up studying CS with a much more theoretical bent to it

27/30 complex analysis and probabilty, that is an A i suppose

College level courses start at college algebra. Some universities allow AP or SAT scores to exempt a person from taking a placement test.

It usually goes (really basic precollege math you don't earn credits for) -> college algebra -> trigonometry -> pre-calculus -> calculus I -> calculus II -> liner algebra = calculus III = differential equations

When I started college I placed into precalculus although I never seen any trig in high school and my algebra classes never even talked about functions.

Jesus christ.
I am 27 fucking years old and I'm still studying maths for CE.

Why are kids so retarded these days? Maths are an inherent part of computer science and programming.

What makes the difference between an engineer and a mere codemonkey?

Learn your analysis and linear algebra, it's not even like studying ACTUAL mathematics, which are totally useless.

calc 1 limits and derivatives - C
calc 2 integrals, sequences, and series - C
calc 3 vectors, multidimensional calc, and vector calc - C
I stuck at tests, but understood most of the material