Convince me to switch back to Linux. Just try it

Convince me to switch back to Linux. Just try it.
>muh OS for programmers
You don't even have a good IDE
>y-you don't need an IDE
My projects encompass multiple source and header files and I need a thorough debugger. Shove Bash up your ass.

Other urls found in this thread:

cycle.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>You don't even have a good IDE

QtCreator is quite good

It's ugly and didn't work on my kubuntu.

Vim and Make is all I need.

CLion.

> Not having your entire OS be an IDE.

>didn't work on my kubuntu

well, it works on my Ubuntu

Yeah well Ubuntu is for good goyim amazon shoppers.

there are plenty of good IDEs for linux depending on what language/stack your looking for.

As with the last thread you created you haven't even mentioned a language or need, you're clearly just shitposting or shilling for free

fwiw VS has been declining in quality since 2013 tbqh

C++
>declining in quality
>the only IDE GUI that doesn't bloodshoot your eyes

Please stay away from linux.

>C++
Code::Blocks
Eclipse
NetBeans
CodeLite
KDevelop
Bluefish
Brackets
Atom
JetBrains CLion
And non of the above do pic related either, which is a plus
>doesn't bloodshoot your eyes
english not your first language, huh?

Of all listed IDEs, only CodeLite comes close to having a functional 21st century GUI and even then it couldn't utilise the terminal for some reason on elementary os.

umm sweetie you can't convince someone to be intelligent

>no good IDE
Netbeans

Visual Studio is absolute garbage. And all good IDEs are cross platform.

>absolute garbage
Explain.
>inb4 nasty old thinkpad owner

>IDE larger than an operating system
>proprietary IDE
>made by (((Microsoft)))
Three immediate red flags before you even open it.

>IDE larger than an operating system
Because GNU+Linux is a bare boned featureless mess
>proprietary IDE
Works best without pesky amateurs ruining the code and forking it.
>made by (((Microsoft)))
A team of elite 10x programmers such as myself.

Sorry, Anonymous, you lose this one.

atom? if it runs slowly on your computer just get a better computer.

It's larger than windows too you autist. You have no arguments, kys

Less than 6GB with all arbitrary SDKs included for desktop and windows development. I fit the important bits on a RAMDisk so it launches faster than code::blocks on gnu.

So visual studio has a 21st century gui? 21st century GUI being one that constantly freezes, gives dont send error reports, shits on it self after installing an update, takes a year to start, sometimes the only way to make it work is to restart you PC, parts of the gui just vanish and you see the desktop where they were supposed to be.

The only reason I would use visual studio/windows is if I were forced to. Which is the situation.

Its a crap stay at home mom OS and a garbage slow resource hog of an IDE that fuck up your whole PC after installing it, you basicaly need to do a clean widnows install after installin VS.

Sounds like you used visual studio 2010 on a broken pirated windows install.
The biggest, and only, critical failure I've had was windows crashed and upon recovering the project, my source files opened in a blank notepad file.

>RAMDisk
Lmao

Fucking ramlets. I bet you're the type of nigger to fall for optane shmoptane as well.

>micropajeet insulting us for not using 200 GB bloatware to edit text files

You don't need a RAM disk when you have decent file systems and applications that don't fsync() unnecessarily.

Yeah because you use pirated microsoft software when you are making commercial grade software.

Must be it.

Yeah bullshit, any RAM blows away any nvme in access times and bandwidth.
Update your gpu drivers prperly next time

> Being this bad at programming
If you need anything more than logs or a backtrace of a coredump you need to get gud. I've figured out bugs from just the description because I can reason about what my code is doing.
Your IDE is a crutch that hobbles your productivity. You don't need Tab completion when you follow a consistent naming convention. You don't need a hand holding debugger if you have properly divided and unit tested your code.

>Yeah bullshit, any RAM blows away any nvme in access times and bandwidth.

Decent file systems and block layers maintain read and write caches in... *drumroll* RAM.

>Convince me to switch back to Linux
Why?

Visual studio adds telemetry though and owns your code. Jetbrains is also for Linux so they make the best ides

Yeah, this.
You only want RAM disk for shit you're planning on throwing away so it doesn't have to wait on physical media to sync when writing. Great for intermediate steps, a stupid waste of memory for a static binary.

This

>he hasn't even migrated beyond the scope of bash

LMAO'ing real hard rn

>Update your gpu drivers prperly next time

I dont have to update my drivers properly on a OS that actually works you know.

You are already doing troubleshooting that will cost me precious man hours just to get your steaming pile of crap IDE working.

qt creator

>since 2013
Since 2008 actually. They fucked up so hard in 2010 they had to disable intellisense for C++ completely. And when they brought it back performance was shit and it's still same for 2017.

As opposed to open source drivers that run as well as software rendering and are not officially recommended.

> are not officially recommended.

Examples please

>officially

Nvidia doesn't fucking distribute them and ubuntu even has the official drivers with (recommended) next to them

They don't develop them, of course they don't fucking distribute them

>official

Yes because nvidia actually care to optimise shit instead of bare bones 'just werks' code

are you saying you're not competent enough to, yourself, be a thorough debugger?

Visual Studio does nothing.

top kek

Afaik noveau is the only driver that kind of supports Optimus

>using weak ass intel shit

>A company doesn't support their own fucking product for the last 5 years
>Your fault faggot

What the fuck is emacs, you imbecile?

>unironically using Visual Studio
>needing 50gb IDE to edit files
>muh shinny UI

Face it, OP. You are a shit programmer butthurt because you're not smart enough to use the same software the majority of us use.

Enjoy your slow as fuck bloatware malware, faggot.

Compatibility with all games in Steam, Emulators, G2A and the list continues.

Lol most of you are suckers for minimalism. Bet you can't use half the tools VS gives you.

Most people don't even use them. That is how it is on my team.

Visual Studio Code, Atom, Brackets, Sublime, Geany, Eclipse, PyCharm, Intellij, etc.

Tons of good ides. You could just use a plain text editor like nano, or VIM and a terminal.

I don't know why you need an IDE to begin with, honestly.

Clion

>doesn't know how to use gdb or write code that doesn't need to be debugged

Stay on windows

>Convince me to switch back to Linux. Just try it.
No. Why?

Bold statement. However IDEs depend on your language. If your language has a language server, there are more likely to be multiple IDEs that provide you with same functionalities.

If you are a C++ cuck use Qt creator. If you are a Rustfag use Intellj or Vim or VS Code with RLS. If you are a java/kotlin fag use intellij. etc

>>y-you don't need an IDE
See above. C++ requires you to use an IDE and that's true. Which is why I suggested Qt creator. Modern languages don't need shitty IDEs since they have language servers.

C++20 will have modules so you won't be needing an IDE then.

Aren't you that 1st year CS kid? If you can't manage Vim and GDB then you should drop out, this is a very honest advice.

>a-aren't you that first year kid
No. There are more than 1 sane person who takes programming seriously. Colleges around the world recommend visual studio anyways.
Get it through your thick skull terminal coding is not programming, that shit is only good for text editing, and that's what it's advertised as anyways.

user... when you pretend you have grown up and gotten a real job where you use VS (the best IDE ever) you shouldn't make such OPs. let the basement dwelling losers shit up /g with their obscure and obsolete tech and just laugh about it

>If you can't manage Vim and GDB
get the fuck back into your cave and close the door apeman

>Get it through your thick skull terminal coding is not programming
What is ``terminal coding"? And how does it differ from ``programming"?

> that shit is only good for text editing
But programming consists of text editing mainly.

You sound like a retarded 1st year who hasn't done any programming at work. Why should I listen to you?

Considering that the premise, it actually is a good advice for OP. Did you know that most of your fruityloop toddler toy gooey debugging frontends are built on top of gdb/lldb? The more you...

>he install russian closed source software on his computer

KeK

Right, keep scribbling moronic nonsense from /dpt/ picture rolls. Maybe one day you can get hired by a startup.

>want to compile something i downloaded
>you need visual studio for this ecksdee
>download it
>install
>takes 5gb out of the box
>install SDKs
>now takes 40gb for no reason
>takes years to start up
>visual studio is free(tm) so please register an accout now!
>open it again next day
>"your free(tm) account has expired, you may not use visual studio at this time"
>it closes
Visual Studio is so shit i can't even laugh about it. Not to mention that the MS compiler sucks fucking dick too.

I accept your defeat, newborn.

ever heard of VIM?

Make is a pain in the necc. Wish there was a sane alternative or sane GUI frontend. And I don't mean CMake because it is twice the pain in the nog

What? Schizophrenic much?

>There are more than 1 sane person who takes programming seriously.

holy shit reading OP drivel ITT is a proper goldmine.

He really is fucking clueless. It's like reading the RAM POWER copypasta but he's actually serious.

You should not touch Linux ever in your life. Not because it's bad, because nobody wants you there. Nobody here is selling it to you as it's free as in free beer. Nobody has any motivation to convince you. It's you who should convince others why they should waste their time helping you. Nobody is losing any money if you don't use it so it's better if you stay away. Never install it and never talk about it anymore. It's not for you and nothing will change that.

You stay on Windows. We don't need retards like you shitting up the community.

>Convince me to switch back to Linux. Just try it.

Does Windows even have games? I'm having the time of my life with awesome games like Tux Racer Extreme. Windows ain't got games.
Windows doesn't have any good programs that are compatible with Linux either. Ssh? Git? vsftpd? I had to mess around with my Windows system for like an hour before i got git and ssh to work. On Linux it 'just werks'. Jesus christ, do Windows users always have to make things to complicated for themselves? Do they feel smart just because they take an hour to manually configure every little thing themselves? On Linux everything just works.
Windows is such an instabile system as well. On Linux, everything works perfectly. I update my system on a daily basis and everything just works. On Windows, i download something, and my computer will slow down because everything gets added as a start-up routine. I actually had a bug in Windows once where i entered a password in one window, but the password was actually being typed in a different window i had open. Wtf! this didn't only happen once, but SEVERAL times. That's a huge security flaw. Why is Windows so unstable? I guess that happens when you hire Americans to program an operating system.
On Linux, you have highly motivated people from all over the world, most notably France, Sweden, India, Germany, the UK, and you can really tell the attention to detail they put into open source software. The GUIs they create are beautiful, slick and responsive. Meanwhile Microshaft hires different people for the GUI and the programming logic, which causes a diconnect in the functionality and causes bugs like the aforementioned security issue i had.
Lastly. Does Windows have this? cycle.sourceforge.net/

>Convince me to switch back to Linux

Nah, I'm good. Just use whatever you feel like mate.

Have you ever noticed that Unix is pronounced like Eunuchs? Because that's what Unix users are

Umm no sweetie, Jetbrains release all of their IDEs for all platforms (except those targeting IOS).

Enjoy linux fading into obscurity along with you inferiority complex goons.

What is CMakeFile? What is Clion?

1/10 thou fall for such bait

It works on my ubuntu gnome as well....and i really enjoy using it

It's not fading anywhere, it's constantly gaining users. Nobody will even notice if the least important person on the planet won't install it.

Nice LARP, user!

>ide

Good riddance we don't need people like you on Linux.