How do I force a drive to kill sectors if there are already 8 dead sectors?

How do I force a drive to kill sectors if there are already 8 dead sectors?

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/657369/how-many-sectors-does-a-320-gb-hard-disk-have
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hammer & nails

You cannot wipe dead sectors. This is how government agents secure suspicious data for later recovery.

Where in my original post did I say that? I want to forcefully kill sectors so I can replace it because the scammer vendor store refuses to acknowledge warranty at 8 dead sectors.

just use your fucking drive you piece of shit, its fine. use redundancy and make backups.

Do you have autism

Just cause mechanical shock to it while the drive is reading or writing. You want to induce some kind of 'stiction'. Then a gentle knock should free it up again.

This is all chance it could not work at all.

Won't that be obvious that I did it? Also wouldn't I need a useless drive to copy data from?

Dude, that's literally nothing. Just forget about it.

>forget about a bad sector that will corrupt your data
Lul ok

8 sectors won't corrupt your data. Your OS/file system simply won't use those sectors.

The whole idea of bad sectors is that they are marked as bad sectors so the system won't use them. Data integrity never comes from assuming a storage medium is perfect. Your filesystem should take care of this.

Also, if data corruption occurs you just restore from backups.

> 8 sectors won't corrupt your data. Your OS/file system simply won't use those sectors.

That's not how it works. If you had data or wrote data on a sector that got reallocated, your data goes boom.

And this is not a problem because you always expect any disk to fail any moment.

You're the reason why manufacturers won't fix the issue of hard drives dying because shitters like you spout "just le back up lol xDDD". Dying sectors is a problem, you fucking retard.

Do you know where those sectors are? Can you read, re-write and werify the whole disk? The disk generally wants to flag a sector dead while writing. Until then it wants to show contents as well as it can.

If you dd the data out and it ends in I/O error, that gives you things to work with. Then wear the ***k out of that area and see if it can take the pounding. If it can, it is a semi-reliable drive.

But does this matter? Since all disks are at best semi-reliable, is there something you should take care of, since losing data on single disk is a problem?

Manufactures don't fix this because:
- It's impossible to make rotating discs error-less
- Integrity already comes from redundant devices and backups.

I don't know where the dead sectors are but I planned on formating and gently applying pressure on the drive for a few seconds

All of your drives have a couple of bad sectors, including all of your back up drives. What's your next excuse to justify dead sectors.

>Dying sectors is a problem, you fucking retard.
Yes it is. Better have multiple copy of these sectors if your data is worth anything to you. Dying sectors isn't even the only threat to data on a single disk.

I'm not justifying dead sectors. I'm just telling you it's part of using storage devices (not even only rotating discs).

You are trying to justify not making backups or using redundant storage. Just continue doing that and you'll be cured in no time : ^ )

"Formatting" may be something different than what you want. You want to a) read the whole surface sector-by-sector and then b) write the whole surface sector-by-sector and then c) re-read the area again.

Since you use the term "format" I assume that you work on something else than Linux. Cannot help you there, but on Linux it would be
dd if=/dev/sdXXX of=/dev/null bs=4M
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdXXX bs=4M
dd if=/dev/sdXXX of=/dev/null bs=4M
and that second read would possibly reveal something. If not, then running this as many rounds as is necessary to either believe in the product or flag it defective enough.

Applying pressure on the device does nothing productive here.

Dying sectors will happen in any hard drive, it's just a matter of time. You cannot prevent them and there's nothing you can do about it besides keeping a copy of your data somewhere else.
A disk will still attempt to recover your data from a bad sector: for example by applying error correction techniques like CRC of the data in the sector, or by attempting to read a bigger area where the damaged sector is included.
However it's still users fault for having one single copy of data if those are important.
You don't have only one copy of your house key, do you?

if you have eight dead sectors on a new drive run the manufacturer diagnostic like seatools or western digital data lifeguard on the extended scan. pretty good chance it finds a bunch more.

The scammer vendor used SeaTools and it reported everything as fine. These diagnostic tools were programmed to pretend dead sectors is fine so I want to forcefully fuck a good amount of sectors in my drive for a replacement.

Nah man, I've used Seatools before and it went from 8 sectors to 22 sectors.

A quick scan isn't typically going to find and mark bad sectors, and an extended scan on a larger drive can take up to six hours. I bet your vendor only ran the quick drive self test.

hdparm /dev/sda --make-bad-sector 66666

Install gentoo.

sudo apt-get install gentoo-men

>A 320 GB disk will have (320 [GB] * 1 073 741 824 [b/GB] / 512 [b/sector]) = approximately 671 million sectors
>671 million sectors
source: superuser.com/questions/657369/how-many-sectors-does-a-320-gb-hard-disk-have

boohoo faggot, 8 sectors

Thought about this as well, but decided to remain silent. This is of course unethical, but it is also risky. If I were a disk manufacturer and implemented this command, I would make pretty certain that the event would be logged as commanded and not tested. We have already been told that the vendor runs official tool to inspect the drive. This tool could well report all activity of this sort, in which case the vendor would be well within their freedoms to refuse any activity and void all warranty.

I do not know, but blindly following this advice could have unwanted consequences, not getting the drive refunded and getting an unwarranted amount of bad sectors as a bonus. But we are only bits and pixels on screen and eventually make our own decisions.

Just stress test the whole surface. If it does not break, it works.

It doesn't work anyways. I've tried on a single HDD, I couldn't make any bad sectors. It may work on other HDDs though.

My old drive has over 500 bad sectors. You'll be fine.

"My body is on fire, this is fine"