/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtu.be/G1XBb7kJJWg

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.watchuseek.com/f71/alpha-watches-they-worth-collection-help-3250249.html
forums.watchuseek.com/f2/alpha-watches-4217474.html
first-flight.sony.com/pj/feswatch-u
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for an actually tc'ed movement.

what the fuck? the skywalker x33 is cal 5619. That is a termo compensated movement. You have no idea what you are talking about.

No prob, I love this stuff after all. Also to add a bit more there is also the onboard ethernet port. So the Pis act as a bridge (using brctl, the pis are running Raspian). eth1 > bridge > eth0 with the vlan tagging happening in there. That's why the end user gets to just plug their machine into eth1 and get to work. The biggest hiccup we had was figuring out the best way to make the extra 4 bytes for the second vlan tag on the packets transmit without needing to modify MTU size on the users end (again because we didn't want them to have to do anything). The solution was to adjust MSS size on the bridge via iptables but yet again another hiccup as we were not able to get iptables to hook into the bridge. After some looking we found you have to load the br_netfilter module and do some other stuff to get iptables to work right with the bridge.

Pic related was during some prototyping

Also reposting in new thread since the other one was killed right after I posted.

First watch. Thoughts?

Please stop me from buying this
>manual movement with an actual fucking column wheel
>same size as the real thing
>im poor as fuck cause student
>I can get the authentic penis watch experience for cheap
The only thing I can't find is if the crown screws down or not, because if it does that would be a deal breaker. Apparently the threads on their other watches aren't very smooth/durable.

idiot. You just googled x33 and got the wrong one huh? moron. The one in the pic is the Skywalker x33 which is a thermo-compensated movement. Delete your posts to hide your shame.

ah dammit you're absolutely right, I somehow didn't realize you were talking about the 2014 reissue, rather than the original x33. My bad, and thanks for teaching me something.

That's a pretty interesting solution user. The steps you went through to find it were interesting. Thank you again for taking your time to explain this.

ooh this is cool shit and i understand half of it because j majored in EE. Nice work user.

it's horribly made chinese garbage. It has the look but dont dare touch one of those pushers or the whole movement will explode. Just google about the problems with alpha watches. I saw one literally crystal and caseback both pop off after someone swinging their wrist mildly fast.
Don't get it, save your money to buy something good that wont break in two seconds.

i actually like the red stop second hand

Alpha > Omega
But for real though
forums.watchuseek.com/f71/alpha-watches-they-worth-collection-help-3250249.html
forums.watchuseek.com/f2/alpha-watches-4217474.html
If you have to get a homage trade up to the Paul Newman. Or just buy the seagull watches directly.

I would buy an Alpha if not for the unfortunate name

It's so derivative

watch time /wt/.
look at my "collection" here.
next on the shopping list would be a seiko alpinist, as soon as i can get one for less than 300.

if you just want it for the looks, go for it. i even find the red hand quite pleasing. but if you want it for having something close to the actual watch and the experience, don't do it. if you really want it that bad save up for a few more years, speedys arent actually that expensive.

Why do you post my watches?

BRRRRAAAAAAPPP

>That dinner plate fucking fossil
>Those tiny little subdials
>Those stubby little hands
>That date window almost in the center of the dial
Holy shit did they stick a ladies size movement in a 50mm watch that looks fucking awful

>JUST: The Collection

What the fuck does that even mean?

How do I buy a luxury watch as a business expense?

Ask them to bill it as a luxury fountain pen instead?
Think they'd do it?

I think someone is jelly of the slav master movements.

worst collection I've ever seen on /wt/ and that's saying m8.

it's awful i know. it's battery lasted about 3 years and i haven't bothered changing it in the 3 years it has not worked since. it was a gift from my mom tho and resale vallue is basically 0 so i keep it.
And what the hell do you think "*" means?

LOL. this must be a joke. it hits all the marks
>shitty fossil
>SKX
>casio memeshock
>BOSTOCK
>knock off nomos/ALange
>"i want an alpenis"
jesus christ man the only good watches are the Heuer and the skx. You're a living legend.
Sry 4 bully.

dont spend so much on bad watches you will throw in the bin. Save up for something that is worth saving and cherishing. Your collection looks a bit like you took the top 20 posts from /r/watches and bought the cheapest ones. Don't mean to be a dick, but find some more of your own style and then go for a good watch.
There are loads of amazing vintage peices that you could probably have if you didn't spend money of numerous bad watches.

R8 my new watch

even the "omega" in that photo's cheap.

>i spent money on a bad watch and time just to impress you guys with a meme
The story behind the picture is always more fun than the actual picture.

why is it bad? it's got like a month battery life, and you can change it's look.

better than your mechanical old man watches

Minus maybe the diamonds how do I obtain a thin watch like this? Don't want to spend over $200. Pls no bully.

What is this & where do I buy it?

first-flight.sony.com/pj/feswatch-u

ebay

There's plenty of thin quartz watches if you don't mind cheap Chinese garbage.

>SKX is a good watch but the alpinist isn't

trump brand watches. that particular one costs about $300, it's a little Chinese-made quartz job.

I am not a collector so I couldn't care less. Nor do I think the watches are anything special to anybody else than me. And I don't think I need to defend myself for something that I posted on an Australian bonsai gardening board with a smirk on my face.
But I can explain at least some of this:
Hueg ass fossil: gift from my mom explained it above. That model was cool back then and that's what the sales person told her.
Small casio: gift from my godfather should be about 18 years old now.
Big metal gshock: another gift from my godfather,only a few years later.
Mudman gshock: a christmas gift that I actually wished for. It's light and durable, I wear it mostly for sports activities.
Heuer: a gift from my grandpa to my little brother. I'm searching for a replacement movement for him, because the watch was beyond serviceability when our grandfather gave it to him.
Nelco diver Chrono: got it for free from a guy that sold me his wife's watch for my girlfriend. Its a Swiss manual wind diver Chrono. Maybe i'll let it be serviced one day.
Now to the watches I actually spent money on.
Vostok: what can I say? I wanted a mechanical watch and this was the cheapest recommendable on available got lucky on a second case with a Murphy bezel after the crystal on my first one broke. It was a nice experience tinkering around and changing out parts as they broke.
When hand winding on the second movement broke and the rotor became loose I moved on to the skx.
Bought it used like new, from a guy who owned it two months an decided he'd rather have an Omega seamaster.
I've always liked the look of the rodina and I will never buy a tangente or anything similar so I don't mind owning a homage. I heard they stopped making them ( or changed the name or something) and bought one for 80 euros.
I'm not all that deep invested into watches from some top 100 lists as some of you might think.

Citizen Eco-Drive Stiletto is less than 5mm thick.

my Montblanc is 5mm, and it's a manually-wound piece (Perseaux 7001 movement).

Expensive as fuck, and missing a hand.

literally just type "square Seiko/Citizen" into eBay and buy whichever one looks the most grandpa in terms of styling.

its gorgeous but my vintage subsecond Wehrmachtswerk probably keeps better time than that and it only cost me like 50 $

Good morning wt

Supp guys.

I´m thinking about getting pic related. Wanted a less than 100€ watch with some functions to get started.
Any recomendations? Is it bad/good? Why? Newfag insaid.

Are you sure you want something so tasteful, dressy, and understated as your first watch?

casio makes some really good low end quartz watches. imo citizen is a better value because of eco drive, but it's mostly preference. Your pic looks really cluttered and it may not seem like it now but cluttered watches can be really hard to get any usefull info out of when in use. I'd go for a model that is more focused on what it wants to be rather than a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of watch.
casio/seiko/citizen all pump out a million different good cheap quartz watches.
Imo pic related (efr552) is a much better design.

A perfect capsulation of /wt/ posters in two posts. Magnificent work boys.

That KS is beautiful. Used to own a 5625-7000. They are the best value for wrist watches in the entire market imo. Vintage GS quality for half the price.

vintage quartz Seiko is your best bet. Or if you want to get more fancy, vintage Longines is also really nice.

I like watches without the seconds hand.

Actually that was the first one that i saw a week ago. Was gorgeous but it hasn´t alarm, illumination... so i went for that fucking transformer.
Im a big fan of leather straps with steel cases, but it´s a must if im going to use it daily.

To each their own, I personally can't stand it.

That's my favourite watch in your collection.

Muggy day but we all make do.

fuckin nice. i want one of those.
are you that goodstuffs asain-watch poster dude?

Understandable have a nice day

Thanks friend

Yes (one of them anyways).

Megasonics come up on eBay every once in a while, just keep an eye out.

The Peseux/ETA 7001 is a high-grade hand wound mechanical movement prized for its robust build and small dimensions, and as such, is used by a number of different brands for their dressier timepieces. Though it has a BPH of 21,600 and doesn’t hack, the 7001 is capable of extreme accuracy when adjusted properly

Mine's heavily-modified in-house, I haven't lost or gained time. They do a 500-hour test on the movement before it leaves the factory to assure/ensure that.

Thats the one I was looking for last thread. How do you like it? Do you have any information on that movement? They sold out right?

Didn't see
on info about the movement. Still want to know how you enjoy the watch.

Looks like Hodinkee is now an authorized reseller for some big brands including VC and Zenith. Also Grand Seiko. Kind of interesting. Not sure if their prices are any good though.

It's the most comfortable watch I've ever worn in my life. Goes great with jeans, or a suit.

Would recommend, and thanks for asking.

The picture you are quoting is of a Grand Seiko though? That said, I definitely agree that vintage King Seikos offer some of the best value out there for vintage high-grade production mechanicals. The 45xx is a contender for being the single most inherently accurate pre-quartz production mechanical, and the 52xx is one of the best production automatic movements designed in the pre-quartz era. It wasn't that long ago that I snagged a King Seiko Special 5256 off Yahoo! Japan Auctions for $140 + shipping, which is just absurdly low for what it is.

Yes sadly they're gone, they've already started appreciating which is interesting.

It can't be long until someone else makes something similar and as desirable at that price point, I still can't believe they they stopped manufacturing them.

You post from time to time about the gp 32a; do you have any information about how the 42.1 compares?

Massive markups, I can't believe anyone buys anthing from hodinkee.

it’s a bit much.

Not offhand but might. I haven't deep dived on late pre-quartz Girard Perregaux yet, and therefore only know a bit about the 32a.

Any tips on photographing a whole collection in a box? Seems like my camera is only focusing on the front row.

Best I've been able to do. Lots of diffuse light is important. Don't take the picture by touching the camera - use a remote shutter. If you're using a smartphone most can be activated by voice There was an user giving hints on here for folks with real cameras who might be able to chime in.

Ah well, that's me. I guess I'll post any useful information I get.

Beautiful watches.

I'll do the same.

God these are fucking impressive

Does your camera support manual focusing?
If you have a polarizing filter you can get rid of most reflections if you have issues with those.

Hey, I posted this a few times, but I'm still fucking pissed off about it.

> be me
> go into watch boutique to find strap for my vintage Longines since they have hirsch
> wasnt sure of the lug width, lady said it might be 17 so I find a 17mm band and think it looks fine
> few minutes after leaving, realise the lug gap and confirm it's 17mm
> they let me exchange it for an 18mm strap
> they spend 20 fucking minutes trying to put it on, come back to me saying there is some proprietary issue, need to "trim" strap or put back on the 17mm
> i've put on 18mm straps on this watch before, but think huh maybe they'll just do a light nick, nothing noticeable
> brings me back this (attached) fucking monstrosity
> ask me if im SURE it looks OK
> so much in shock I literally just left passively
> try to come back later, they tell me since it was technically my decision to "cut" the strap, they can't refund me
> "does this look ok to you?" *no response*
> send a lengthy email to the manager of the store

these fucking idiots.

the tuning fork vibrates at 720hz but how many times does the seconds hand index per second? Is it 720 times or lower?

I'm using a Sony a6000 I found in my house.

All you really need is two or three light sources, a good background, and a circular polarizer if your camera can mount one.

Any idea how I should offload a bunch of shitters I got when I've bought groups of watches? They're all in decent to fantastic condition, but I don't want a million Timex quartz watches or any of the ultra loud one jewel manuals no matter how good of condition they're in.

This is entirely your fault for spaghetti'ing so hard in the store. This is the funniest thing I have seen on /wt/

m8 you gotta sack up in situations like that
You don't pay and if you already have you don't walk out.

reddit.com/r/watchexchange
reddit.com/r/edc_raffle

that is an exceptionally good camera

>going to a store to buy a strap

lol

I paid prior to them doing this shit.
Yeah, I know, I should have stayed. Hopefully my email to the manager will have some effect, doesn't help I'm a passive bitch though
Glad you found it funny, honestly... it was stupid of me. But seriously fuck that business.

I think it is my brothers. Kind of pisses me off I don't know how to use it but it can take a good photo. I'll keep fucking around with the settings and see what i can do.

I really hate buying straps online, because then I have to pay for shipping. But lesson learned.

I believe it may actually be 1440. The tuning fork runs at 720hz (720 compete back and forth movements per second). My understanding of how the index wheel in a megasonic works (different from how an Accutron index wheel works) is that the wheel advances whether the box is moving forward or backward (each pawl acts as both advancing the wheel and holding the wheel, unlike in an Accutron). So I'd expect the wheel (and therefore hands) to advance 1440 times per second.

someone cap this beauty. It's your fault for letting a tard mess with your shit. It's like blaming a kid for shitting his pants when you didnt potty train them.