My college courses have a mandatory required macbook pro 15'' for photo and video editing, I need one by next fall...

my college courses have a mandatory required macbook pro 15'' for photo and video editing, I need one by next fall, so I'm looking for suggestions for the best times to buy. As of now I'm looking at a refurbished 2016 model. thank

You old also try 2013 MacBook pro since they much cheaper now. Do you really need a 2016 model unless u want the higher resolution.

Use their computer labs if they have them

nope, i dont like it but sadly i do have to buy one, thank though

what software are they going to make you run?
If its just photoshop, I dont see why a windows machine cant do the same thing.

>mandatory macbook pro
>for photo and video editing

The fuck?
Adobe products are on windows too. What a shit uni

how much you wanna bet apple pays them to make this shit mandatory?

I'm fairly certain its just photoshop and premiere and I'm sure I could just use windows, but it's not up for debate, I'm pretty sure they said it should only be a few years old too.

The people who will teach OP likely learned on Macs, as did the people who taught them. So on, so forth. Now its just easier to teach on macOS based shit. Don't you know how this works? Windows is mandatory for some things too.

What software could they possibly need you to run that's not on Windows at this point for photo and video editing?
There's nothing worth a shit for photos on Mac other than Photoshop, and Final Cut Pro is a deprecated, outdated, abandoned piece of software that has mostly been superseded by Premiere in the majority of professional settings. Even Avid is on Windows, which is literally the only other piece of Video editing software used by professionals nowadays. Requiring a Mac is backwards as hell, and it's doubly shitty that they make you purchase it yourself instead of having student-rented laptops like, you know, any media oriented University worth their shit would have.

Regardless, look into the mid-2015 MacBook Pro. It's the latest version of the Pro that actually has a decent array of ports, no useless touchbar, and beats most 2016 models in performance (since 2016 is when Apple decided to put marketing first, engineering last on every last one of their products.)
It's the only MacBook I'd buy, honestly. 13 or 15 inch model is really up to your use case. The 15 inch offers more power, but the 13 inch is a lot easier to carry around (you wouldn't think it makes that big of a difference, but it does.) Look around on eBay.

>mandatory required macbook
damn as if college wasn't a scam already

the only other guy who brings his laptop on my course has a macbook. the university provides software licenses for most mac versions of necessary software, but windows is on everything otherwise

Buy a used thinkpad and install macOS. It actually works pretty good

Is it still possible to run it on virtual machine? I believe KVM should be fast enough for this.
Or install Hackintosh.

What thinkpad would you recommend for this?

>Get any fucking laptop
>Install OSX on it
>Done

If they still argue that it isn't acceptable then take a moment to ponder just how much of a mistake you've made in choosing this collage.

>recently my eastern european college got funded desktop macs for two rooms
>now they have to teach ios programming
>i recently wondered how this kind of situations would escalate in the future
here's my answer, i guess. if someone is commited enough to fund colleges like that, they simply need to predict profit in future.

i'm so glad i'm gonna finish my college this year

Sounds like hell, being forced to choose between two awful operating systems.

sell your anous.
>>college courses have a mandatory required macbook pro 15'' .
Better not go to that college bro

>Windows is mandatory for some things too.

even if it was, the difference is that windows machines aren't extremely expensive fashion accessories; not equivalent scenarios at all

Just buy the more expensive dell xps and impress with your faster loading time of photoshop.

GIMP is even faster, and better, in GNU/Linux distros.

I don't believe for a second that
a) there is a mandatory laptop brand that you have to use especially for cross platform software like the Adobe suite and
b)they don't provide old beat up models to students

go to a real college you spastic